Prince Henrik Diagnosed with Dementia: September 2017 & Further Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Joachim just stayed at the hospital for 1 hour and 40 minutes. That was very long compared to the earlier visits....

The official event for the Queen this Friday and the public audiences on Monday have been cancelled.

Aflyst: Offentlig audiens | Kongehuset

To cancel the audience without leaving it to Frederik or Joachim while the entire Royal Family is gathered in Copenhagen is quitelling about the whole situation i'm afraid :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Has Sr.Catherine de Monpezat left Denmark too or is she staying put?

Yes. They must be very certain that the entire family will be involved in this situation for at least another week.

Does the Danish court cancel all events for a period of mourning after a death in the royal family? (I don't remember what happened when Queen Ingrid died.)

To cancel the audience without leaving it to Frederik or Joachim while the entire Royal Family is gathered in Copenhagen is quitelling about the whole situation i'm afraid :(

Prince Henrik Diagnosed with Dementia: September 2017 & Further Health Issues

Tonight Dutch television also had an item about Prince Henrik in the 10 o’clock News (NOS): they showed images of the Queen and Prince Joachim entering the hospital and quoted Henriks’ brother who said that the Prince had probably only weeks to live.

Prince Joachim just stayed at the hospital for 1 hour and 40 minutes. That was very long compared to the earlier visits....

Unfortunately I agree, and even more so since Henrik's siblings came over from France to visit him. He must be nearing the end :sad: Which is quite scary to think about since it's all happened so quickly, as Margrethe herself said in the report that Henrik seemed okay when playing bridge at New Year's (even though he had already been diagnosed with dementia at that point). Dementia sadly gets worse rather than better.

Hard to say but it's better than the additional ten years that my mother had yet couldn't speak or recognise her family. Quality of life matters.

Hard to say but it's better than the additional ten years that my mother had yet couldn't speak or recognise her family. Quality of life matters.
Oh yes.... my mother had it too....the only consolation is that, at that stage they don't understand or suffer any longer !

It's interesting how the news pops up in different places. The other day, it was on the crawl on the local Washington, DC, news at 6AM. They must have picked it up off the wire services or something, because there's no interest in it here.

Tonight Dutch television also had an item about Prince Henrik in the 10 o’clock News (NOS): they showed images of the Queen and Prince Joachim entering the hospital and quoted Henriks’ brother who said that the Prince had probably only weeks to live.

Glad to see that he is home now.

Last edited:
It will be more private too at Fredensborg for family and friends visiting the Prince .

I'm glad to see this. It may be that Prince Henrik can still recognise the familiar surroundings of home. He and his family can have some peace and privacy

If this is the last period of his life, I hope he will spend it peacefully

This is a good idea for all concerned. We had Hospice care for my father - those people are amazing, and do everything possible to make this time as bearable as it can be. They also provided counseling after he died. Now the family can come and go in peace and privacy.

So the message is clear, there is nothing they can do for him at the hospital anymore and he wants to spend whatever is left at home.

And why not? The DRF is able to build a small hospital at Fredensborg, can give him all the care in the world. Still, if he keeps deteriorating, I hope he will pass quickly, because there is no way back from where he's heading.

The Royal Court has announced that Prince Henrik has been moved to Fredensborg Castle to spend his final time there. With those words, the Court is making it clear the Prince is dying, and it is now just a question of time.

These are very sad days for the Danish RF, but I'm sure they find comfort in being able to take care of the Prince where he is most comfortable, and in the outpouring of support that is coming towards them from both the entire Danish realm and across the world.

That message is short, to the point and can't be misunderstood.

Good, now we know for certain.

Now QMII and those of his family who wish to can be near him 24/7.
Perhaps some of friends will be able to visit him as well. I'm sure he (and they) would appreciate that very much. If for no other reason than saying goodbye, even if he is unresponsive.
That's a good way to go IMO.
I'm glad for him and the whole family

And now the public can express their sympathy for the family. And DRF no longer have to have every visit, every facial expression, every move scrutinized and analyzed. That must be a huge relief. And in an odd way, perhaps also for us. We no longer need to speculate about whether he will get better.

I imagine at least some of his family will stay with him as well until the end. His sister being the youngest and a nun, will almost certainly stay, I think.

BT has contacted Lene Balleby for an additional comment
https://www.bt.dk/royale/kongehuset-derfor-vil-henrik-hjem

She says: "His Royal Highness Prince Henrik has come home to Fredensborg at 13.00. Here he will be surrounded by those closest to him in the final time and be in the surroundings that matters to him".

The first comments from friends are coming in and they all express sadness and sympathy.

It is good that he is going to be able to spend his final days at home surrounded by his loved ones. I pray that his family also get some peace and closure by being able to spend time with him at the end in such familiar (and private) surroundings. ❤️

I'm happy for him and his family if he is still so aware of things that he has wished to be at home and can choose how he wants to have his final time. That is a true blessing that no one can take for granted !

Now he can be in calm, well known and much loved surroundings throughout what remains of his life.
And surrounded by his wife (i don't even want to think about how hard this is and will be for QMII, PH is her everything !), his children, in laws, grandchildren, siblings and maybe also personal friends. In private and shielded from journalists.

Wow! I did not expect that statement. I am glad that he will be able to have his last days with family at home. My father passed away peacefully at home and I was thankful of that. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family during this long and trying time.

Very sad news, however it’s a blessing that he will be able to spend his final days surrounded by his family in a place that he loved.

It's interesting how the news pops up in different places. The other day, it was on the crawl on the local Washington, DC, news at 6AM. They must have picked it up off the wire services or something, because there's no interest in it here.

There are many Americans who are aware of the World beyond D.C. In fact, many of us don't care at all about D.C.! ?

There is no place like home. I'm happy they were able to move Henrik to his own home and his own surroundings among his beloved family. This guarantees that the family need not contend with anything else besides being a family gathered around their beloved husband, father, grandfather and sibling in his final hours.

This is the most respectful and considerate thing that could be done for Henrik right now and I sincerely hope his passage Home is a peaceful one shrouded in love.

Happy for him and the family that he is able to return home and spend the remainder of his life with his loved ones...

Without intending to speculate but from the various information Imo he has an additional acute illness now (apart from the earlier diagnosed dementia) and that has taken a very quick development now...there unfortunately are various diseases that can have that outcome

I would wish that the media won't take photos of the family when they are arriving or leaving Fredensborg. The situation is bad for them and they deserve the privacy to share time with Henrik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom