Prince Henrik Diagnosed with Dementia: September 2017 & Further Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i find it interesting that people say that 'it does explain why he is behaving in the way he is'. henrik always behaved in a fairly controversial manner for years and years now. how come this explains actions that happened decades ago? maybe the situation of his latest remarks (on his burial preferences) is explained, but not his behaviour over the years.

I've read all the pages of this thread and haven't seen anyone at all say this explains his behavior for years back. Where on earth did you get that from???
People in this thread are saying it explains at most, the past several years.

Actually you've agreed with my main point Ish in that he shouldn't have been allowed to speak his mind, when clearly not in full control over it.

It's a real shame he did damage to the RF that was wholly un-necessary.

Perhaps I've misread your original post/the follow up.

I do 100% agree with your main point in that he shouldn't have been given the freedom that he was.

I think where I'm disagreeing (or perhaps misreading) is that he should be held accountable for the damage that has been done - or even that there should necessarily be damage. I don't think Henrik should be held responsible for his actions the last couple of years, when the damage happened. But I also get why (especially while he was undiagnosed) the DRF allowed it to happen.

Biri, I am often confused about the differences between dementia and Alzheimer's myself. I only know that both are progressive and the symptoms almost identical.

Dementia and Allzheimer's are basically the same diagnosis. Some dementias differ in certain symptoms, but intrinsically they all work on the same plane. It is very sad for the family and for the patient. There are no treatments and for each individual it will take its course fairly the same.

Prince Henrik's personality is just that - he is narcissistic and self-absorbed. However, his latest outbursts had been increasing. The awareness campaigns for degenerative brain diseases have lead a lot more people looking for and understanding the early signs. I only hoped the intervention in Prince Henrik's case happened a lot earlier.

The news of Prince Henrik's diagnosis has been reported in Australian media: Princess Mary’s father-in-law Prince Henrik of Denmark has dementia, palace says

I found that Henrik's latest outbursts were also different in tone than his previous episodes. Some of the things he was saying really made no sense. It doesn't change the statements he made many years ago but it does explain why he seemed to have become almost completely uncontrollable more recently, and also why the Danish Royal Court seemed to be at a loss in terms of dealing with him.

I'm glad the DRF decided to make the diagnosis public and I hope Henrik is left in peace. I'm happy to see that the Danish press overall seems to have a respectful attitude towards this sort of issue.

I just want to go on record as saying that just because someone is ill, it's unwise to say they cannot speak what they feel they need to say. People who are ill should have the same freedoms to speak that those that are well have. Else, we face issues with people being able to speak truth to power that can control/mute them/impose treatment. We risk not hearing people who need our help when we mute the ill.

I completely understand that we would all feel more comfortable had Henrik not spoken out - even if his perceptions were driven by his illness. We's also feel more comfortable had he been muted.

But I would argue his need to speak helped him feel control over what was to him an increasingly chaotic world Instead, I think the press might have had more restraint.

My father died of dementia and it was not pretty. But to the end, I stood hard and fast for his choice in making decisions about his care and having opinions about people around him. It was HIS life, after all. And trust me, his willingness to share his version of reality with any and everyone was a challenge. But who was I to tell him he had to be silent? Even after his message became nasty, ugly and inconvenient?

Granted, the press cared less about my Dad, but he was able to smear all the family a number of times to all who knew us. Which was inconsequential, given all he did for us during his life. Setting aside our egos to support him in meaningful ways was the least we could do. I see Henrik's wife doing the same thing.

In my Dad's case, it helped him cope with all his mental and physical issues when he felt in control and nasty. In hindsight, I have realized that he thought throwing the blame elsewhere kept scrutiny (which he could not handle) off himself. My Dad is.was/not the only person with dementia for which this is true. I see similarities in Henrik.

I have gone on too long, so I will stop. I just ask everyone to be generous with all people with dementia or dealing with a loved one with dementia. It can be an unrelentingly cruel disease with really tough choices. Try to be openminded about how people respond. Try to see the "love" in how people respond, rather than weigh how the response fits how you might have done things. There are no great choices sometimes with this disease.

I just want to go on record as saying that just because someone is ill, it's unwise to say they cannot speak what they feel they need to say. People who are ill should have the same freedoms to speak that those that are well have. Else, we face issues with people being able to speak truth to power that can control/mute them/impose treatment. We risk not hearing people who need our help when we mute the ill.

I completely understand that we would all feel more comfortable had Henrik not spoken out - even if his perceptions were driven by his illness. We's also feel more comfortable had he been muted.

But I would argue his need to speak helped him feel control over what was to him an increasingly chaotic world Instead, I think the press might have had more restraint.

I see what you're saying and on one level I agree - in terms of a private, day-to-day issues, and in terms of having a voice when it comes to how to deal with his life and his health, he should be able to speak. I think where the line should be though is whether or not he has unfettered access to the press...

The DRF shouldn't be muting him within their family, but I don't think they should be enabling him to make further press releases. It doesn't benefit him in any way, nor does it benefit the DRF. And when it comes to the past press reaction, given as he was undiagnosed it would have been irresponsible of the press to not report on his statements. They didn't know he was ill (they may have speculated, but didn't know), and were doing their job in reporting the statements. It does seem like they're saying that they're not going to be questioning/quoting him on controversial statements in the future because of his health.

His grand children will see it written in all the newspapers , what a sad situation. Could the RF avoid this ?

His older grandchildren are old enough to understand and the younger ones need to know that their grandfather's erratic comments and behavior are a result of his brain not working right anymore. I'm sure they've all seen the changes.
I think the DRF did the right thing for all concerned in announcing this diagnosis. It also puts to rest the speculation and rumors.

Good move from the danish royal family releasing information on Prince Henrik diagnosis; I think transparency is best in this case. He is a public figure and any illness of his eventually would be a matter of public record.

As for the grandchildren seeing this in the news, TV etc. I see it as an opportunity to teach them about aging, illness, and teaching them how to cope with with grandpa during his illness.
This is a situation I am very familiar with: my mother had dementia the last five years of her life and certainly the grandchildren learned to cope; when they realized grandma could no longer communicate they showered her with lots of affection, handholding, hugs etc.
There is a very good children's book written by Maria Shriver on that very topic (dementia and children) titled "what's happening to grandpa". Excellent resource.

Queen Silvia of Sweden's mother had Alzheimer’s. She has done a lot for dementia.
Silvia systrar "silvia nurses" with special knowladge about dementia

The late Queen Juliana of the Netherlands suffered from Alzheimer's as well and did not appear in public during the last years of her life. Her last public appearance was at the wedding of her grandson Prince Maruits and Princess Marlilene.

I'm so sorry that Prince Henrik, the Queen and their family have received such news.

I have to say I was surprised to hear the news today from a friend about PH. Over the years I have come to believe that he is a stubborn old man wanting his own way in things in life and that he could be a very hard person to live with as his attitude towards life is long past the times of today.

My deepest heart felt sympathies for QM and the family for they are in for a very hard time and much sorrow in losing a husband, father and grandfather. Now is the time to really support QM to make sure she is also one that is going to be needing taking care of.

Thank you Muhler for the translation.

I wouldn't be surprised if parliament did intervene this time and asked questions to QMII. In Australia, a doctor or any person who believes another person is a danger to themselves or society, can order a mental health evaluation. After Prince Henrik's latest outbursts, I am wondering if someone in the Danish judiciary or parliament didn't start raising questions.

The government was briefed.
The PM has indicated clearly that he was kept informed.

My father died of dementia and it was not pretty. But to the end, I stood hard and fast for his choice in making decisions about his care and having opinions about people around him. It was HIS life, after all. And trust me, his willingness to share his version of reality with any and everyone was a challenge. But who was I to tell him he had to be silent? Even after his message became nasty, ugly and inconvenient?

Granted, the press cared less about my Dad, but he was able to smear all the family a number of times to all who knew us. Which was inconsequential, given all he did for us during his life. Setting aside our egos to support him in meaningful ways was the least we could do. I see Henrik's wife doing the same thing.

In my Dad's case, it helped him cope with all his mental and physical issues when he felt in control and nasty. In hindsight, I have realized that he thought throwing the blame elsewhere kept scrutiny (which he could not handle) off himself. My Dad is.was/not the only person with dementia for which this is true. I see similarities in Henrik.

I have gone on too long, so I will stop. I just ask everyone to be generous with all people with dementia or dealing with a loved one with dementia. It can be an unrelentingly cruel disease with really tough choices. Try to be openminded about how people respond. Try to see the "love" in how people respond, rather than weigh how the response fits how you might have done things. There are no great choices sometimes with this disease.

AdmirerUS: What a kind and wise attitude you have about those who have dementia, and those who must deal with it. Now that so many of us 'Boomers' are aging, and so many of us will live to great old ages, this is a real public health issue. Right now there is no cure, so virtually all of us will have to cope, one way or another.

Being straightforward about what is wrong with our ailing loved ones will lift the veil of fear and shame from this affliction. Those who have dementia must be allowed to live their lives as best they can; perhaps the DRF will be models for how to deal.

Well said! No one should judge another family's decision on how to handle. Very difficult and emotional under any circumstances -- especially when under such media scrutiny.

I *think* that perhaps some people's "unique personality" traits may become a bit more exaggerated once they develop dementia -- perhaps that could be an explanation for Henrik's outbursts this summer.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-henr...k-er-han-ikke-helt-til-stede-det-andet-er-han

PH's younger brother Etienne de Laborde de Monpezet, has been quoted for saying: EWe can tell he has problems. One moment he's not quite there, if you will, but the next moment he's completely normal".

https://www.bt.dk/danmark/prins-henriks-naere-ven-jeg-har-godt-kunnet-maerke-det-paa-ham
PH's very close friend, Erik Brandt, says: "I have been able to tell when we have been together. I have. But we have sort of dismissed it. I have perceived it as mood-swings".

I feel quite ashamed, in light of this latest news, for posting my opinion in the thread that Henrik was selfish and vain when he first made the King comments. How long has this deterioration been noticeable by loved ones, close friends? Was it before Henrik's decision to retire from Royal duties was discussed?

Last edited:
It explains quite a lot about his behavior in recent years, as dementia is not something that happens overnight. It's something that starts small, then gradually builds and builds, like a snowball rolling downhill, until it becomes too noticeable to brush off as "senior moments" or "brain farts." I lost my grandmother to Parkinson's-related dementia, and my mother and uncle were totally and utterly overwhelmed by it, though they didn't have anywhere near the resources to care for her as the DRF has to care for Prince Henrik.

I don't believe announcing this was a cynical move at all, nor do I think the DRF were thinking of rehabilitating his public image with it, either. He's 83, he has dementia, he probably has less than 5 years to live, if that. They've known for a while something was wrong, but as is often the case, things don't become truly dire until it's too late. I'd say he's been dealing with it for about 10 years now, just based on what I saw with my own grandmother and how long her decline was.

It doesn't excuse his behavior or his comments before of all of this, as his disdain for not being given the "King Consort" title have been well known for decades, as has been the fact he doesn't seem to be that fond of Crown Prince Frederik (more the fact he outranks him than his son as a person), so it's still possible to be a pretty horrible person and have dementia. It doesn't magically absolve you of all the garbage you did or said before you got sick.

I wish the DRF well, and I hope they find the strength to get through this because it will be difficult, and it will be painful.

:previous:
That is extremely well said and Thank you for sharing. I am learning about this medical condition as I have never seen it before in my family and it must be very horrible to live through with a loved one.

Prayers to you and all that have to go through something like this and I hope there is very strong family and friends around each of you to help get you through this.

QM now needs that same strong family around her not just for her duties as queen but for her seeing the lose of her husband even though he could and has been a bear, as he has been her love and soul mate since marriage.

I so wish there was a cure for these type of medical illness and now am curious as to the type of research is going on for this.

It seems that many of us have had to deal with this disease in a loved one. Royals are subject to some of the same problems as anyone. True, they have more resources to deal with the trials of life, but love is love, and pain is pain, no matter what your station in life.

Last edited:
A consequence of both PH "retiring", which we now must assume was a direct result of his dementia, and him now being officially diagnosed, is that the focus in the DRF will change even more.

PH had more than 70 protections and honorary positions. He had already passed on a number of them and while it is not practical to divide the rest of them among the DRF, some of them will be taken over. His involvement with WHO springs to mind.

There is a limit to how many protections QMII can take over, considering her age and the fact that she after all has a husband who will only get worse. And it's also a question of how many she would even wish to take over.

Benedikte may take over a couple, but I really don't think so. She seems to be busy enough with those she has.

Then we have M&F, but as QMII gets older, and has a deteriorating husband to check up on, they will be busy taking over from her as it is. So yes, they will take over some of PH's protections but not that many I think.
The summer cruise next year being with M&F has IMO gone from very likely to practically certain.

That leaves M&J, who are basically the only adult DRF members with time and means to take over some of the heavier protections from PH he still has. In other words they will have to step up their workload - and I think it would be a good idea anyway. Because it will take about ten years before Christian and Isabella can even begin in earnest to do some serious work.
So J&M have enjoyed a few years off after the sale of Schackenborg, but now it's back to work IMO.

Last edited:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-henr...k-er-han-ikke-helt-til-stede-det-andet-er-han

PH's younger brother Etienne de Laborde de Monpezet, has been quoted for saying: EWe can tell he has problems. One moment he's not quite there, if you will, but the next moment he's completely normal".

https://www.bt.dk/danmark/prins-henriks-naere-ven-jeg-har-godt-kunnet-maerke-det-paa-ham
PH's very close friend, Erik Brandt, says: "I have been able to tell when we have been together. I have. But we have sort of dismissed it. I have perceived it as mood-swings".
Yes, those are the definite indicators and if you are a close family it is very, very, easy to not even notice overly much and put it down to age, health, or just being a grumpy old man or woman.

The saddest thing is that after a proper diagnosis the family members who have often been out of patience or short or even hurt and wounded now see all of that through a whole different lens. They will beat themselves up for not seeing it, for how they felt and what they said. Worse, they will wonder what was him and what was the disease.

A close friend of mine whose brother had Altzheimer's always used to say that on the bright side, every day is a new day but I think Henrik has a way to go before he doesn't know his family.

My prayers are for their entire family, for harder days are sadder days and they can go on for years.

well I thought this at the time,. I know that he's often been unhappy abot the business of his not being King, but the way hes reacted recently seemed OTT and while it is a problem of his, his behaviour in going on about it, etc was clearly facilitated by his illness.

Why would you (you in general) feel sorry or be ashamed about the things you said before this was announced?
You didn't know or at the most suspected it, it was how you felt. Never be ashamed of how you feel/felt at the time.

I believe it's his character and made worse by his condition. And I think Queen Margrethe has that much grit that she's long used to any of his moods and has learnt to surf the wave. Along with his family, they know him better than anyone else.
I don't feel sorry for Prince Henrik - that's (probably far-fetched and beyond comparision, but I can't think of anything else right now) like feeling sorry for someone because he's in a wheelchair - I do sympathize with him. It must be horrifying not being able to trust your own brain.

Last edited:
The late Queen Juliana of the Netherlands suffered from Alzheimer's as well and did not appear in public during the last years of her life. Her last public appearance was at the wedding of her grandson Prince Maruits and Princess Marlilene.

I'm so sorry that Prince Henrik, the Queen and their family have received such news.

In an interview Prince Bernhard, her spouse, told that in the end she did not recognize anyone anymore. We may assume Juliana had no idea anymore she was Queen of the Netherlands from 1948 until 1980. By the way, like Prince Henrik, also Queen Juliana had a personality which sometimes was strongwilled and hard to steer by. "Eccentric" some would say, in some aspects.

In an interview Prince Bernhard, her spouse, told that in the end she did not recognize anyone anymore. We may assume Juliana had no idea anymore she was Queen of the Netherlands from 1948 until 1980. By the way, like Prince Henrik, also Queen Juliana had a personality which sometimes was strongwilled and hard to steer by. "Eccentric" some would say, in some aspects.

I generally like Henrik for a lot of reasons (that don't entail his tantrums about wanting to be King) but I don't quite think you're being fair to Juliana here. As far as I know, she never threw hissy fits because she couldn't get what she wanted – actually, her kind of strong will was quite the opposite of Henrik's kind of strong will.

My father in law suffered from dementia for over 8 years before he died, thinking back I cannot even say if he was fully aware of his condition at some point during this journey. In the beginning there was kind of denial and after the diagnosis it was already too late to have a constructive discussion because he could not understand anymore what the diagnosis meant.
It might be the same with Henrik. Even though this diagnosis is hard on every family, the DRF have the luxury not having to bother with staff/doctors looking after Henrik, they have help with the 'dirty work' that can drive people into exhaustion, physically and mentally.
Thinking about the sorry state that my FIL slipped into, I hope they will keep Henrik out of the public eye as much as possible with the illness progressing for the sake of his dignity that has already been affected.
The fact that he is still visible and talking controversially to the press (what hopefully stops now) tells me that he is currently in the 'denial' phase, he should completely retire as soon as possible.

My family unfortunately has a history of early onset dementia. Both my Nana and my dads eldest brother suffered/suffer from it. It unfortunately set in quite quickly with both. I remember my Nana coming to live with us for a year and she was in great health (she was only in her seventies and the other women in her family lived to be close to a hundred and healthy till day they died). But within months of her going home, she started showing signs. After she was taken advantage of by a family member, selling her house for way too little so they could get a loan, my dad stepped in as her power of attorney. Within a year or so she was in a nursing home.

Her eldest son suffered a massive heart attack two years ago. That comes from their dads side. My dad and his brothers were the first men in their family to pass 61 without a heart attack (most died, grandpa just short of 61. one great uncle is alive and quite healthy but he has had heart attacks). But after the heart attack, unfortunately dementia set in. He has had to be placed in a home. Its not a full care home, he has some independence still, but its progressive home. So as he gets worse, he will move through stages in the complex until in a full nursing situation. \

Dementia is hard and at times scary for any family. Fortunately for the royals they have the money and help to deal with it. But its still not an easy situation. My thoughts with the entire family, especially the queen, but also his sons and grandchildren in this hard time.

I guess I don't follow enough to have seen the signs in his comments. Honestly what I read of him I thought him a bit like Philip in his attitude. But I was surprised he decided to retire from duties. I guess this explains.

Yes, it's a horrible desease, it must be difficult to have more cases than one in the family!
I only have the case of my FIL but it was such a profound experience because it went on for so long. Of course you have to accept what is thrown at you but for myself I would think the faster it progresses and leads to death the better. It might sound cruel but I was absolutely horrified by watching such a strong man turning into a helpless man becoming a child again. It's especially hard for the families/those who care because those who suffer may live in happy ignorance of their state depending on how far the desease has already progressed.
In the end, after over 8 years, nobody was mourning, everybody was glad that it was over, for my DIL who suffered and for ourselves who cared. We had the feeling that he was not the person anymore we knew but had become a stranger in his own world.

By the way, my own father had ALS, quite the opposite but equally cruel, the brain is there 100% and the person is fully aware of a painful death by being paralized.

I hope the DRF find the right way to deal with Henrik and to protect his dignity because he is a public person.

Last edited:
Even though his condition has only been recently revealed to the public, it is quite likely that the family has known for a long time, possibly even for several years. Some forms of dementia sneak up on you- a series of small strokes will take their toll a little bit at a time. We're seldom surprised when an older person becomes a bit forgetful, and we don't really consider it to be the onset of dementia- it's a 'senior moment'! But true dementia progresses until the family can no longer ignore it.

(My mother frequently misplaced her keys. I once found them in the toaster oven along with several pairs of toenail clippers. Mom: "Why that's just crazy! Chuckle." Me: "Yup! (chuckle).")

It seems as though PH is able to maintain a somewhat normal demeanor most of the time, acting appropriately. I doubt he will have to be completely controlled right away. His family can still have some good, enjoyable times with him.

I'm sure that the DRF will do everything they humanly can to ensure that Henrik gets not only the best possible care that he can but also make it that his quality and enjoyment of life is the best it can possibly be.

A very good book I'd recommend for anyone wishing to know more about how Alzheimer's and dementia affects not only the person afflicted but their loved ones around them is "Love Never Sleeps" by Mary Summer Rain.

As this disease progresses, the brain becomes more and more affected and as we take for granted that our bodies run and function without us even having to think about it such as our heart beating, our reflexes to pain and such, its seems incredible to us that the brain can "forget" to do these things and the patient acts accordingly. Touching a hot stove burner without instantly recoiling from the pain becomes a serious threat. Eventually, the brain does forget to tell the body to even breathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom