The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #381  
Old 02-11-2018, 04:05 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 7,720
To the Moderator of the Royal Family of Denmark.
I don't know if Dement in English is the same as dement in french ? In French it as a mad, wild, tremendous person.
The Prince will not pass away because of his Diagnose with Dementia but from an ilness we don't know exactly how this happened so quickly.
Could you delete the word Dementia from his thread.
He was during 50 years Prince of Denmark, gave two Princes to Denmark, and Her Majesty's beloved husband.
Grateful thanks
Maria Olivia
  #382  
Old 02-11-2018, 04:29 PM
Hans-Rickard's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
I'm curious how the news about Prince Henrik is being covered in Denmark (and throughout Scandinavia). Are TV channels breaking in with updates whenever something happens? Is it the top news story? Is it something most Danes are interested in?
It is not the top story here in Sweden but the swedish media is writing about it on a daily basis.

From what i've read in Norwegian media it is the same there. Not the top story but it is covered on a daily basis.
  #383  
Old 02-11-2018, 04:46 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 40,350
Yes it was on Euronews earlier today too!

Denmark's Prince Henrik's condition 'greatly worsened' | Euronews

  #384  
Old 02-11-2018, 04:48 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
Once the brain starts not to function the same way as before, a person's health starts deteriorating really fast. From many people who had Alzheimer's or Dementia, most died from other health problems, though these health problems are associated with the disease because the brain is weak and doesn't function correctly anymore. We can compare (just a reference of example) with AIDS, people don't exactly die from AIDS, but die from health problems associated with AIDS. The "main" disease is the trigger of health problems that come after.
I don't know if I explained well because english is not my mother tongue.
Yes, unfortunately it is true that this is the case; and reports had also said that his health is worsening which would indicate the visitors Henrik has been receiving lately. We're not getting off to good start of the year in the DRF. At least Henrik is having company during his days in the hospital. I'm sure that seeing the grandchildren will have made him smile during his times of hardship.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
  #385  
Old 02-11-2018, 04:55 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: xxx, Finland
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I had a look at the DRF calendar. The school winter holiday has started, so there is hardly anything scheduled.

The next item on the agenda for QMII is a public audience on the 19th. Frederik can easily stand in here as I doubt that will be cancelled.
Then on the 21st QMII is supposed to meet the retiring and the new regimental secretary for the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. - That can be postponed as well, if need be.

On the 23th she is to receive new ambassadors. Something she's likely to leave to Frederik.
Thursday next week the calendar is updated again, which means we only know whats happening for the next week or so.
  #386  
Old 02-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Radstock, United Kingdom
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
To the Moderator of the Royal Family of Denmark.
I don't know if Dement in English is the same as dement in french ? In French it as a mad, wild, tremendous person.
The Prince will not pass away because of his Diagnose with Dementia but from an ilness we don't know exactly how this happened so quickly.
Could you delete the word Dementia from his thread.
He was during 50 years Prince of Denmark, gave two Princes to Denmark, and Her Majesty's beloved husband.
Grateful thanks
Maria Olivia
Dementia is a type of brain disease that Henrik has been diagnosed with. Google translate suggests in French it's called démence? It may be wrong.

It's a medical term, it's not a description of him or his character.
  #387  
Old 02-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 16,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydeardrsattler View Post
Dementia is a type of brain disease that Henrik has been diagnosed with. Google translate suggests in French it's called démence? It may be wrong.

It's a medical term, it's not a description of him or his character.
Congratulations on your first post.

Agree. This is an international board, where the common language happens to be English.
There will inevitably be words and expressions that even when translated will be offensive or have a totally different meaning in other languages.
That is unfortunate (and sometimes amusing), so we should look at things in perspective.

I don't think anyone here who use the words dement or dementia in connection with PH would even dream of being demeaning. On the contrary in fact. - Such people wouldn't last long here on TRF anyway.

Dementia is a word an international audience can understand and know what means. It's the context of the word that matters IMO.

Ekstra Bladet reports that PH's second surviving brother, Jean Baptiste, will also go to DK in the next days. His other brother, Etienne, seems to be underway, if not already here.
  #388  
Old 02-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Congratulations on your first post.

Agree. This is an international board, where the common language happens to be English.
There will inevitably be words and expressions that even when translated will be offensive or have a totally different meaning in other languages.
That is unfortunate (and sometimes amusing), so we should look at things in perspective.

I don't think anyone here who use the words dement or dementia in connection with PH would even dream of being demeaning. On the contrary in fact. - Such people wouldn't last long here on TRF anyway.

Dementia is a word an international audience can understand and know what means. It's the context of the word that matters IMO.
Mange tak Muhler for your explanation, with which I totally agree. However, I can also see the point of the francophone poster (whose name I have unfortunately forgotten-mes excuses!) in that one hopes that the Prince's family is not driven to demence by intrusive journalists during this difficult time. I trust and hope that any news gathering is done respectfully and that the Danish Queen and her family understand the outside world's prayers are with them.
  #389  
Old 02-11-2018, 05:48 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
To the Moderator of the Royal Family of Denmark.
I don't know if Dement in English is the same as dement in french ? In French it as a mad, wild, tremendous person.
The Prince will not pass away because of his Diagnose with Dementia but from an ilness we don't know exactly how this happened so quickly.
Could you delete the word Dementia from his thread.
He was during 50 years Prince of Denmark, gave two Princes to Denmark, and Her Majesty's beloved husband.
Grateful thanks
Maria Olivia
Dementia is a medical diagnosis. It does not mean mad or wild. It means a loss of cognitive brain function. It is not at all disrespectful if it is meant as a medically diagnosed condition. As explained by others earlier, dementia, or in Henrik's case actually Alzheimer's, can cause complications of other diseases- in this case a lung infection that sounds as though It has not responded to treatment.
  #390  
Old 02-11-2018, 06:13 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
I'm curious how the news about Prince Henrik is being covered in Denmark (and throughout Scandinavia). Are TV channels breaking in with updates whenever something happens? Is it the top news story? Is it something most Danes are interested in?
The coverage in Norway:

On Friday:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Thanks to eya and Muhler!

The coverage of it in Norway:

The main story on TV2 News Channel. - They also have it as a breaking news story in the bottom of the TV screen.

They are now talking to their royal expert Kjell Arne Totland.

Also the main story on the NRK (Norway's public broadcasting company) and VG (one of Norway's two largest papers) websites.
On Saturday (yesterday):
Not that much, but TV2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland (who has met PH many times) was live on TV2 News Channel and talked about it.
Also an article in VG about PH's funeral plans etc.

On Sunday (today):
Not much, but NRK and (especially) TV2 News Channel will go mental if something were to happen.
__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
  #391  
Old 02-11-2018, 06:19 PM
carina_a's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 621
The title of the thread is totally appropriate imo (if that's what is being discussed)

No one is saying he's going to pass away just "because of his Diagnose with Dementia", that why there is an additional part of "further health issues".

He was diagnosed with dementia, that's a fact, according to the court communication last September. Just because he is a Prince of 50 years does not exempt him from illness and mortality.

Furthermore, many people on this forum does not have English as their first language (myself included), and it's not realistic to accomodate every other language. We just have to try and communicate as clearly as possible.
  #392  
Old 02-11-2018, 06:36 PM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 641
Maybe maria-olivia is mistaking dementia for the term 'demented' which the Oxford English Dictionary describes as 'behaving irrationally due to anger, distress, or excitement.' It can also informally mean to go mad, usually as a result of something really annoying like a car alarm that won't stop or a baby that won't stop crying etc.

Not the same as dementia obviously but similar words anyhow.
  #393  
Old 02-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 9,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by carina_a View Post
The title of the thread is totally appropriate imo (if that's what is being discussed)

No one is saying he's going to pass away just "because of his Diagnose with Dementia", that why there is an additional part of "further health issues".

He was diagnosed with dementia, that's a fact, according to the court communication last September. Just because he is a Prince of 50 years does not exempt him from illness and mortality.

Furthermore, many people on this forum does not have English as their first language (myself included), and it's not realistic to accomodate every other language. We just have to try and communicate as clearly as possible.
I think Maria Olivia's point is that there should be a separate thread for Prince Henrik's current health problems and hospitalization as his lung infection is not necessarily directly linked to what, until recently, was understood to be early symptoms of dementia or, more precisely, Alzheimer's disease.

Prince Henrik is 83 and, at that age, it is not uncommon for people to have aggressive cases of pneumonia regardless of cognitive decline. It is also true, however, that, in advanced cases of Alzheimer's, pneumonia occurs frequently, mostly as a consequence of an increasing difficult to swallow, but we don't know for a fact if that was what happened to Henrik.
  #394  
Old 02-11-2018, 07:13 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 13,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
A bit off topic but what lovely names his brothers have.
The De Laborde de Monpezat's siblings are / were:

Anne-Marie (died 1938)

Joseph (died 1957)

Thérèse (died 1957)

Maurille (died 2015)

Françoise

Henri

Étienne

Jean-Baptiste

Cathérine
  #395  
Old 02-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Member - in Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 17,267
One of the debilitating effects of Alzheimer's is that it doesn't only affect the intellectual and mental functions of the brain. It can also cause the brain to "forget" to tell the body how to swallow or how to have reflexes or send messages to the body to fight infections. One of the last things that Alzheimer's will do is cause the brain to forget to tell the body to breathe and the heart to beat.

The brain is like the supercomputer of the body which regulates and automatically controls what the body needs to do without our conscious thought. A person with a more advanced stage of the disease could put their hand into a fire and not feel any pain because the brain has stopped sending the message to alert the person to pain. This is why people with advanced stages of the disease need constant supervision and care. Its also a reason why a person diagnosed with Alzheimer's or dementia often come down with other health problems.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #396  
Old 02-11-2018, 07:37 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I think Maria Olivia's point is that there should be a separate thread for Prince Henrik's current health problems and hospitalization as his lung infection is not necessarily directly linked to what, until recently, was understood to be early symptoms of dementia or, more precisely, Alzheimer's disease.

Prince Henrik is 83 and, at that age, it is not uncommon for people to have aggressive cases of pneumonia regardless of cognitive decline. It is also true, however, that, in advanced cases of Alzheimer's, pneumonia occurs frequently, mostly as a consequence of an increasing difficult to swallow, but we don't know for a fact if that was what happened to Henrik.
While Henrik was only diagnosed last autumn, the disease was already at work, possibly for a number of years. It was only when he displayed enough symptoms that he was finally tested and diagnosed.
  #397  
Old 02-11-2018, 07:40 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 40,350
Prince Henrik with his late parents Andre de Monpezat & Renee Doursenot with his late sister Madame Maurille Beauvillain de Monpezat who died in 2015.

https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/reso...er-alt---3.jpg
  #398  
Old 02-11-2018, 08:25 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Small Town, United States
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I wonder if, as a nun, Catherine of Monpezat doesn't regret that Henrik, having converted to Lutheranism, could not receive the sacraments from a Catholic priest at this particular crucial moment of his life.
My Luther's Small Catechism seems to have gone astray. But if I remember correctly, Holy Communion may be administered as long as the recipient is aware. It probably also 'counts' if the elements are only touched to the lips of a person unable to swallow. I'd have to ask my Pastor for specifics on this. My husband died rather unexpectedly even though he was in a nursing home. I was, regrettably, not with him at the time. So I asked the home not to call the mortician until I had seen him. My son, nephew, and I were there when the Pastor arrived, and he said a brief liturgy and some lovely prayers which were a great comfort to us.
  #399  
Old 02-11-2018, 08:26 PM
Tarlita's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,381
Wow that's a great photo. Many thanks for it.
  #400  
Old 02-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: City, United States
Posts: 982
Thanks for the notes on the Danish coverage. I wondered how prominent the story was there.

Do you think Princess Benedikte might step into some of these visits? She wouldn't be as directly affected as Frederik or Mary, if they want to spend more time with Henrik.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It's among the top stories in the papers, and there is a segment about the coming and goings of the DRF in every of the main news. i.e. noon, early evening, prime time and so on.
And the tabloids have a live update whenever there is activity. So yes, it is very well covered here in DK.

---------------------

I had a look at the DRF calendar. The school winter holiday has started, so there is hardly anything scheduled. Except for the cancelled visit to a hospice tomorrow by QMII. (The hospice is located in Herlev, which is just north of Copenhagen, so strictly speaking she wouldn't lose time, should she suddenly get a call from Rigshospitalet. But of course that's hardly the main reason for this cancellation.)
The next items on the agenda is on Friday, where Mary is to go to Lithuania. Unless PH could die any second, I don't think she will cancel that. It's an event that will take a few hours and Mary can be there and back the same day. She's probably flying in with an air force Challenger anyway. So IMO she would be unfortunate if PH should die while she's in Lithuania.
But QMII also has an event on Friday. She is attending a 10th anniversary of a theater. Something that can easily be cancelled - or taken over by another member of the DRF if need be.
The next item on the agenda for QMII is a public audience on the 19th. Frederik can easily stand in here as I doubt that will be cancelled.
Then on the 21st QMII is supposed to meet the retiring and the new regimental secretary for the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. - That can be postponed as well, if need be. But it's basically nothing more than a hello and thank you and a cup of tea and a little small talk. All parties are IMO so professional that this need not be cancelled either, unless PH really is on the verge of dying any second at that point.
On the 23th she is to receive new ambassadors. Something she's likely to leave to Frederik.
Thanks! I wondered how the story was being covered elsewhere in Scandinavia. Is there usually an interest in the Danish royals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
It is not the top story here in Sweden but the swedish media is writing about it on a daily basis.

From what i've read in Norwegian media it is the same there. Not the top story but it is covered on a daily basis.
I saw your post about the coverage in Norway the other day, which is what made me interested in asking how the story is being covered throughout Scandinavia.

Has Prince Henrik's health over the past few months been a big story in Norway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The coverage in Norway:

On Friday:


On Saturday (yesterday):
Not that much, but TV2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland (who has met PH many times) was live on TV2 News Channel and talked about it.
Also an article in VG about PH's funeral plans etc.

On Sunday (today):
Not much, but NRK and (especially) TV2 News Channel will go mental if something were to happen.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
King Juan Carlos's Health Issues Duke of Marmalade King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia 627 01-04-2021 06:03 PM
Diana's Eating Disorders and Health Issues Ava Elizabeth Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 330 12-16-2017 08:13 AM




Popular Tags
#alnahyan #baby #rashidmrm baptism british christenings co-regency commonwealth countries crest crown princess victoria defunct thrones dna duchess of edinburgh edward vii fabio bevilacqua fallen empires fallen kingdom fashion suggestions fifa women's world cup football france grand duke henri hollywood hotel room for sale house of gonzaga international events iran jewellery jewels king king carl xvi gustaf king charles king george liechtenstein list of rulers new zealand; cyclone gabrielle order of the redeemer overseas tours pahlavi pamela hicks persia preferences prince & princess of wales prince christian princeharry princess alexia of the netherlands princess catharina amalia princess ingrid alexandra princess of wales queen queen alexandra queen camilla queen elizabeth ii queen elizabeth ii style ray mill romanov claimant royal christenings royals royal without thrones schleswig-holstein shah reza silk soccer state visit state visit to germany tiaras uk; kenya; state visit; website william woven


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023
Jelsoft Enterprises