Prince Henrik Diagnosed with Dementia: September 2017 & Further Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The title of the thread is totally appropriate imo (if that's what is being discussed)

No one is saying he's going to pass away just "because of his Diagnose with Dementia", that why there is an additional part of "further health issues".

He was diagnosed with dementia, that's a fact, according to the court communication last September. Just because he is a Prince of 50 years does not exempt him from illness and mortality.

Furthermore, many people on this forum does not have English as their first language (myself included), and it's not realistic to accomodate every other language. We just have to try and communicate as clearly as possible.

Last edited:
Maybe maria-olivia is mistaking dementia for the term 'demented' which the Oxford English Dictionary describes as 'behaving irrationally due to anger, distress, or excitement.' It can also informally mean to go mad, usually as a result of something really annoying like a car alarm that won't stop or a baby that won't stop crying etc.

Not the same as dementia obviously but similar words anyhow.

The title of the thread is totally appropriate imo (if that's what is being discussed)

No one is saying he's going to pass away just "because of his Diagnose with Dementia", that why there is an additional part of "further health issues".

He was diagnosed with dementia, that's a fact, according to the court communication last September. Just because he is a Prince of 50 years does not exempt him from illness and mortality.

Furthermore, many people on this forum does not have English as their first language (myself included), and it's not realistic to accomodate every other language. We just have to try and communicate as clearly as possible.

I think Maria Olivia's point is that there should be a separate thread for Prince Henrik's current health problems and hospitalization as his lung infection is not necessarily directly linked to what, until recently, was understood to be early symptoms of dementia or, more precisely, Alzheimer's disease.

Prince Henrik is 83 and, at that age, it is not uncommon for people to have aggressive cases of pneumonia regardless of cognitive decline. It is also true, however, that, in advanced cases of Alzheimer's, pneumonia occurs frequently, mostly as a consequence of an increasing difficult to swallow, but we don't know for a fact if that was what happened to Henrik.

A bit off topic but what lovely names his brothers have.

The De Laborde de Monpezat's siblings are / were:

Anne-Marie (died 1938)

Joseph (died 1957)

Thérèse (died 1957)

Maurille (died 2015)

Françoise

Henri

Étienne

Jean-Baptiste

Cathérine

One of the debilitating effects of Alzheimer's is that it doesn't only affect the intellectual and mental functions of the brain. It can also cause the brain to "forget" to tell the body how to swallow or how to have reflexes or send messages to the body to fight infections. One of the last things that Alzheimer's will do is cause the brain to forget to tell the body to breathe and the heart to beat.

The brain is like the supercomputer of the body which regulates and automatically controls what the body needs to do without our conscious thought. A person with a more advanced stage of the disease could put their hand into a fire and not feel any pain because the brain has stopped sending the message to alert the person to pain. This is why people with advanced stages of the disease need constant supervision and care. Its also a reason why a person diagnosed with Alzheimer's or dementia often come down with other health problems.

I think Maria Olivia's point is that there should be a separate thread for Prince Henrik's current health problems and hospitalization as his lung infection is not necessarily directly linked to what, until recently, was understood to be early symptoms of dementia or, more precisely, Alzheimer's disease.

Prince Henrik is 83 and, at that age, it is not uncommon for people to have aggressive cases of pneumonia regardless of cognitive decline. It is also true, however, that, in advanced cases of Alzheimer's, pneumonia occurs frequently, mostly as a consequence of an increasing difficult to swallow, but we don't know for a fact if that was what happened to Henrik.

While Henrik was only diagnosed last autumn, the disease was already at work, possibly for a number of years. It was only when he displayed enough symptoms that he was finally tested and diagnosed.

I wonder if, as a nun, Catherine of Monpezat doesn't regret that Henrik, having converted to Lutheranism, could not receive the sacraments from a Catholic priest at this particular crucial moment of his life.

My Luther's Small Catechism seems to have gone astray. But if I remember correctly, Holy Communion may be administered as long as the recipient is aware. It probably also 'counts' if the elements are only touched to the lips of a person unable to swallow. I'd have to ask my Pastor for specifics on this. My husband died rather unexpectedly even though he was in a nursing home. I was, regrettably, not with him at the time. So I asked the home not to call the mortician until I had seen him. My son, nephew, and I were there when the Pastor arrived, and he said a brief liturgy and some lovely prayers which were a great comfort to us.

Wow that's a great photo. Many thanks for it.

Thanks for the notes on the Danish coverage. I wondered how prominent the story was there.

Do you think Princess Benedikte might step into some of these visits? She wouldn't be as directly affected as Frederik or Mary, if they want to spend more time with Henrik.

It's among the top stories in the papers, and there is a segment about the coming and goings of the DRF in every of the main news. i.e. noon, early evening, prime time and so on.
And the tabloids have a live update whenever there is activity. So yes, it is very well covered here in DK.

---------------------

I had a look at the DRF calendar. The school winter holiday has started, so there is hardly anything scheduled. Except for the cancelled visit to a hospice tomorrow by QMII. (The hospice is located in Herlev, which is just north of Copenhagen, so strictly speaking she wouldn't lose time, should she suddenly get a call from Rigshospitalet. But of course that's hardly the main reason for this cancellation.)
The next items on the agenda is on Friday, where Mary is to go to Lithuania. Unless PH could die any second, I don't think she will cancel that. It's an event that will take a few hours and Mary can be there and back the same day. She's probably flying in with an air force Challenger anyway. So IMO she would be unfortunate if PH should die while she's in Lithuania.
But QMII also has an event on Friday. She is attending a 10th anniversary of a theater. Something that can easily be cancelled - or taken over by another member of the DRF if need be.
The next item on the agenda for QMII is a public audience on the 19th. Frederik can easily stand in here as I doubt that will be cancelled.
Then on the 21st QMII is supposed to meet the retiring and the new regimental secretary for the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. - That can be postponed as well, if need be. But it's basically nothing more than a hello and thank you and a cup of tea and a little small talk. All parties are IMO so professional that this need not be cancelled either, unless PH really is on the verge of dying any second at that point.
On the 23th she is to receive new ambassadors. Something she's likely to leave to Frederik.

Thanks! I wondered how the story was being covered elsewhere in Scandinavia. Is there usually an interest in the Danish royals?

It is not the top story here in Sweden but the swedish media is writing about it on a daily basis.

From what i've read in Norwegian media it is the same there. Not the top story but it is covered on a daily basis.

I saw your post about the coverage in Norway the other day, which is what made me interested in asking how the story is being covered throughout Scandinavia.

Has Prince Henrik's health over the past few months been a big story in Norway?

The coverage in Norway:

On Friday:

On Saturday (yesterday):
Not that much, but TV2's royal expert Kjell Arne Totland (who has met PH many times) was live on TV2 News Channel and talked about it.
Also an article in VG about PH's funeral plans etc.

On Sunday (today):
Not much, but NRK and (especially) TV2 News Channel will go mental if something were to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I wondered how the story was being covered elsewhere in Scandinavia. Is there usually an interest in the Danish royals?

The current King of Sweden and the current Queen of Denmark are first cousins, so the royal families of the two countries are pretty close.

I would imagine. I wasn't sure if that interested extended to the Swedish media, though. :)

The current King of Sweden and the current Queen of Denmark are first cousins, so the royal families of the two countries are pretty close.

There is also a small amount of coverage in Australia due to CP Mary being Australian but obviously nowhere near the coverage in Scandinavia.

My Luther's Small Catechism seems to have gone astray. But if I remember correctly, Holy Communion may be administered as long as the recipient is aware. It probably also 'counts' if the elements are only touched to the lips of a person unable to swallow. I'd have to ask my Pastor for specifics on this. My husband died rather unexpectedly even though he was in a nursing home. I was, regrettably, not with him at the time. So I asked the home not to call the mortician until I had seen him. My son, nephew, and I were there when the Pastor arrived, and he said a brief liturgy and some lovely prayers which were a great comfort to us.

Yes, indeed he could receive communion.

But Mbruno was speaking of Catholic rites. Henrik was raised catholic, and his sister is a catholic nun. Catholics practice 'closed communion' meaning that only Catholics can receive the sacraments from a catholic priest.

For his Catholic family their mind may be on the last sacrament (catholics have seven: baptism, confession, communion, confirmation, marriage, holy orders, and anointment of the sick). What is referred to in general as 'last rites' is administered to a catholic when dying, and is a combination of three sacraments: communion, confession, and anointment. It is meant to prepare the soul for heaven by offering forgiveness of any last sins, bringing god's grace and easing the last pains of the earthly body. I know my priest spends a great deal of time every week at the hospital visiting his parishioners who are on their death bed, prepared to administer their last rites.

Thanks for the notes on the Danish coverage. I wondered how prominent the story was there.

Do you think Princess Benedikte might step into some of these visits? She wouldn't be as directly affected as Frederik or Mary, if they want to spend more time with Henrik.

Very possibly.
But hardly when it comes to audiences, meetings in the State Council and meeting ambassadors.
That will have to be the Monarch or the Regent, i.e. Frederik.
These are also things that are unlikely to be cancelled unless PH dies or is buried the same day IMO.

A new quote from Etienne de Monpezat: https://www.bt.dk/royale/klar-laest-prins-henriks-bror-vi-er-meget-bekymrede

"My sister has already visited him, and I expect to leave myself for Denmark in a few hours. I'm leaving soon.
We are of course very concerned for his health, and we hope he'll get better".

Min søster har allerede besøgt ham, og jeg forventer selv at tage til Danmark om nogle timer. Jeg tager afsted snart,
Vi er naturligvis meget bekymrede for hans helbred, og vi håber, at han får det bedre,

Etienne de Monpazat is 75.

This last message includes more 'hope' than the previous one.

This last message includes more 'hope' than the previous one.

I think that depends on the translation. The interview was probably held in french, and translated to english/danish. If my danish is working correctly, the phrase "we hope he'll get better" is a bit different than "vi håber at han får det bedre". I would say that the danish phrase means more like "We hope that things will be better for him", "that he will be better" or even "that he will be in a better place" or something like that. Perhaps our danish speaking friends could help us out here.

Etienne de Monpezat, who BTW is a former journalist, speaks English. I can't say to what level, but certainly good English.

It's an understandable reply IMO.

That's a response I think most people would make. If I were to be asked by say a neighbor about one of my sisters, who would be in the same situation as PH, I think an automatic response from me would be similar to Etienne de Montpezat's.

It would be a totally different matter if this was a quote from Lene Balleby from the PR office of the court.

However, once Etienne de Monpezat has visited his brother, his first quote will be most interesting.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-henriks-naere-ven-det-er-gaaet-meget-hurtigt-jeg-har-bange-anelser

Another quote. This time from former defense chief, lieutenant general Kjeld Hillingsøe. His wife is a childhood friend of QMII. His daughter is a close friend of M&F and he himself is also close to the DRF.
He gave a surprisingly detailed and frank interview to TV2 the other day, including describing PH on New Years Eve.

And about New Years Eve:
"He was completely clear in the head. I'm no master in playing bridge, but he managed that in overwhelming style.
It's been very fast. That I hadn't expected".

Han var fuldstændig klar i hovedet. Jeg er ikke nogen ørn til at spille bridge, men han klarede det i overvældende stil. Det er gået meget hurtigt. Det havde jeg ikke forventet,

He continues, assessing the situation:
"You can look at what has happened. The Crown Prince has returned from the Winter Olympics, and the sister of the Prince and two brothers are coming up from France. That doesn't happen unless it's very serious. You don't need a particular insight in order to tell that it is serious.
I presume we will be told when there are changes. Apart from the fact that my wife is a childhood friend of the Queen, our situation isn't different from so many others - it's not like we have a direct line, where we are told about the situation of the Prince. We don't call and disturb the Queen. You don't do that".

Man kan se på, hvad der er foregået. Kronprinsen er vendt tilbage fra Vinter-OL, og prinsens søster og to brødre kommer op fra Frankrig. Det sker ikke, hvis det ikke er meget alvorligt. Jeg har bange anelser. Man behøver ikke have særlig indsigt for at se, at det er alvorligt,« siger han og fortæller, at han selv afventer nyt om situationen.»Jeg formoder, at vi får noget at vide, når der sker ændringer. Udover at min kone er barndomsveninde med dronningen, er vores situation ikke anderledes end så mange andres - det er ikke sådan, at vi har en direkte linje, hvor vi får besked om prinsens situation. Vi ringer ikke og forstyrrer Dronningen. Det gør man ikke.«

He reflects on the fact that QMII is a concerned wife as well as head of state in the current situation:
"You are of course touched when one's good friends become ill.
Added to that comes the role he (PH) play in regards to the nation - the colossal role he plays in the life of the Queen.
I've reached the age where mates begin to drop out, and there we can tell how it moved those left behind in regards to recovering from losing your spouse. So I absolutely think a lot about how the Queen is in this situation".

Når ens gode venner bliver syge, bliver man selvfølgelig berørt. Hertil kommer den rolle, han (prins Henrik, red.) spiller i forhold til nationen - den kolossale rolle, han spiller i dronningens liv. Jeg er kommet i den alder, hvor kammeraterne begynder at falde fra, og der kan vi se, hvordan det berører de efterladte i forhold til at overvinde, at ens ægtefælle er faldet bort. Så jeg tænker absolut meget på, hvordan Dronningen har det i denne situation.

But QMII will overcome:
"It's in her upbringing. The members of the royal family are brought up to carry all burdens that may fall upon them, so that it doesn't affect the ability to carry through with the office".

Det ligger i hendes opdragelse. Den kongelige families medlemmer er opdrage til at bære alle byrder, der måtte påføres dem, så det ikke går ud over evnen til at videreføre embedet,«

Irreverent french Figaro titled : le Prince bafoué qui voulait devenir Roi. Ultime revers pour l'époux de la Reine Margarethe II qui ne s'est jamais vraiment remis d'être privé de son titre de Roi.
Thanks for your posts, I noticed that the english dementia is not the same as the french démence.
Mbruno stands right , I wanted a change ot the tittle of this thread .

I saw your post about the coverage in Norway the other day, which is what made me interested in asking how the story is being covered throughout Scandinavia.

Has Prince Henrik's health over the past few months been a big story in Norway?
When the news that he didn't want to be buried with QMII at Roskilde Cathedral reached Norway, TV2 News Channel had it as their main story, and the papers did write about it (so yes, I will categorize it as a BIG story here).

The same happened when the Danish court informed the media that he was Diagnosed with Dementia, but then the coverage was (of course) much more positive towards him, not so dramatic (but again, I will categorize it as a BIG story here).

And as I wrote in my previous post, it was (what I will categorize as very) BIG on Friday. - Why? Because they thought he would die in the near future, which means that they (the Norwegiam media) will have a big story to cover.

Why is it covered in Norway? Because PH is the husband (consort) of the Monarch of Denmark (one of our closest nabors and one of 3 countries in Scandinavia).

Thanks, Blog Real.

Yes, she arrived at 14.38 and left no later than 15.04 when this article was updated:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/lige-nu-dronningen-forlader-rigshospitalet-efter-kort-besog

That at least suggests to me that he was unresponsive or sleeping during this visit.
In contrast to another recent visit where QMII was smiling and even laughing. That suggests IMO that he was responsive to at least some degree.

That was a very short visit.... There must have been a reason that there was no point in staying any longer. Yesterday she and Prince Joachim stayed for over an hour....

QMII is always diciplined, super professional and will always greet other persons with a smile and kindness but i have to say that she did look more uncomfortable today.... :(

The Norwegian royal expert, the excellent Kjell Arne Totland writes about PH on his TV2-blog today (realy worth a read). - Google translation and two quotes translated by me:
Prinsgemalen som ville være konge… - translation
The Prince Consort who wanted to be king

- He is the most French of all Danes - and the most Danish of all French!

Yes, thats how one of Prince Henrik's most closest friends characterizes his royal hunting mate.
And there is certainly something in this...

In my work as a court-reporter and royal expert, I have met the Danish Prince Consort several times over the years - both in Denmark, at the wine castle in France and during his many visits to Norway.

And I have always experienced him as a friendly and well-educated person with special interests in art and culture.
And undoubtedly both colorful and exciting.
After the dementia diagnosis, the Danes have expressed their respect and sympathy for the prince.
And thankfulness for what he has meant for their Queen - and for Denmark.
To the great pleasure for Queen Margrethe and his sons.

Last edited:
There is nothing in the Dutch about PH, yet.

Irreverent french Figaro titled : le Prince bafoué qui voulait devenir Roi. Ultime revers pour l'époux de la Reine Margarethe II qui ne s'est jamais vraiment remis d'être privé de son titre de Roi.
Thanks for your posts, I noticed that the english dementia is not the same as the french démence.
Mbruno stands right , I wanted a change ot the tittle of this thread .

In English, dementia is the name of a disease that affects the brain just as there are diseases called cancer or leukemia or polio. It isn't derogatory towards a person but rather a condition that the person has. Dementia is a general term for memory loss and other cognitive abilities serious enough to interfere with daily life. The most common form of dementia is Alzheimer's disease.

There is no need to change the title of the thread.

If Prince Henrik's time has come I pray he has an easy passing for his sake and that of his family & loved ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom