Portraits and Paintings of Queen Margrethe II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SpiffyBallerina said:
Let herself go??? That's harsh!:eek: Granted, her teeth need some serious work, but she stays as fit as she can considering her back and knee problems. I read that she was very keen on ballet for a long time, but I'm sure her ailments in her back and knees prohibit that activity now.

She seems much older than her age, compaired to other royals her age... she has much possibilities to age more gracefully IMO

I like the fact she smokes and the way she looks. She isn't trying to be politically correct, she is herself (and a fantastic queen!).

auntie said:
She seems much older than her age, compaired to other royals her age... she has much possibilities to age more gracefully IMO

Maybe because she's been on the throne longer than any monarch other than Elizabeth II.

She wasn't exactly young looking when she acceeded the throne, however, the older look probably helped her there.

I personally detest smoking, but I think regardless of that fact, Margrethe is truly a majestic and regal figure, which comes across strongly in her portraits, I don't think her looks have necessarily been "let go"-she looks pretty much as a lady of her age generally looks anyway. She has tremendous presence and that will probably never diminish.

I don't think that Queen Margrethe looks bad at all. She is very attractive mature woman. My only complaint regarding her looks is about her teeth. They are horribly discoloured from all of the smoking that she had done over the years, however that doesn't take away from her extremely regal presence as Jackswife also noted.

The portrait posted by Ysbel with HM The Queen en face and HRH The Crown Prince in profile is by far my preferred royal portrait. I like the fact that the present monarch looks straight ahead, and the future monarch is looking in the direction of his mother, as if looking at what is waiting in the future. However, he does not look directly at The Queen, thus showing that he is anticipating his future role. An incredibly well thought out portrait!

/Lasse Pedersen

I Like Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. She projects an aura of regal majesty in these portraits and that is very fitting for a Queen.

WoW!
I am impressed! Queen MargretheII shows real royal style. I agree that now rare European queen (Rania of Jordan doesn't count as she is young) looks so royal on official portraits.

Here are two portaits I have of the Queen. The first is taken in her younger days is from my scrapbook. I took it from the British MAJESTY magazine in the early 80s! More credits than that, I do not have.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/fraxales/Margrethe2.jpg

The other picture was the official portrait to commemorate the Queen's Silver Jubilee (if I remember correctly) in the (then) newly-restored Frederick VII (again, memory might fail me) Palace at Amalienborg. My memory might also fail me for the credits but I'm sure I got it from a POINT DE VUE magazine.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/fraxales/Margrethe1.jpg

ysbel said:
Maybe because she's been on the throne longer than any monarch other than Elizabeth II.

She wasn't exactly young looking when she acceeded the throne, however, the older look probably helped her there.
HM King Bhumipol Adulyadej of Thailand is the longest serving monarch in the world followed by Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and followed by Brunei's Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah.The King of Thailand has reigned for 60 years,Britain's monarch has reigned for 54 years and Brunei's Head of State and Head of Government has reigned for 25++ years.So Denmark's Queen Margarethe II is neither longest nor one of the longest serving Head of State in the world.

queenofcelts said:
WoW!
I am impressed! Queen MargretheII shows real royal style. I agree that now rare European queen (Rania of Jordan doesn't count as she is young) looks so royal on official portraits.
European queens' excluding Britain's Queen Elizabeth II,Denmark's Queen Margarethe II and Dutch's Queen Beatrix do not look royal on official photographs because they are commoners' who married royals.Jordan is not a European country,so HM Queen Rania's royal look should not be counted or taken into account.

Last edited by a moderator:
srivishnu said:
European queens' excluding Britain's Queen Elizabeth II,Denmark's Queen Margarethe II and Dutch's Queen Beatrix do not look royal on official photographs because they are commoners' who married royals.Jordan is not a European country,so HM Queen Rania's royal look should not be counted or taken into account in this issue.

Well, the first point is YOUR opinion (had you not known them, you probably wouldn't be able to tell - besides, Queen Sofia is a King's daughter so she's NO commoner) and your second, just pretty petty in my view.

srivishnu said:
European queens' excluding Britain's Queen Elizabeth II,Denmark's Queen Margarethe II and Dutch's Queen Beatrix do not look royal on official photographs because they are commoners' who married royals.Jordan is not a European country,so HM Queen Rania's royal look should not be counted or taken into account in this issue.

What about Queen AnneMarie of Greece ?
She is daugther of a King and married a King :neutral:

H.M. Margrethe said:
What about Queen AnneMarie of Greece ?
She is daugther of a King and married a King :neutral:

How true! (My mind was racing so I was only thinking of the reigning couples.) :sad:

I really like the portraits in which Queen Margrethe wears the emerald parue. I agree with the other posters that Britain's QEII can be dowdy. QEII is quite short; short women have to be careful in their dress selections so that the style does not overpower them. Queen Margrethe is tall and so can wear many styles well which a shorter woman would do well to avoid. Both queens have fabulous jewelry!

miss j said:
I really like the portraits in which Queen Margrethe wears the emerald parue. I agree with the other posters that Britain's QEII can be dowdy. QEII is quite short; short women have to be careful in their dress selections so that the style does not overpower them. Queen Margrethe is tall and so can wear many styles well which a shorter woman would do well to avoid. Both queens have fabulous jewelry!
Compared to all European queens',HM Queen Elizabeth II is a well dressed queen.Her wardrobe changes to age,place and occasion.The Queen may not wear stylish attire but she dressess like a royal and she is a very tidy person compared to other queens' who dressess up very untidy and sluggish as well the colours chosen do not match the theme or environment.The Queen is a traditionalist so her wardrobe suites her strong religious believe too.Do check out the following web site where you can take a look at a selection of The Queen's dressess that was worn for different occasions > http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/dressfortheoccasion/highlights.asp

Last edited:
srivishnu said:
Compared to all European queens',HM Queen Elizabeth II is a well dressed queen.Her wardrobe changes to age,place and occasion.The Queen may not wear stylish attire but she dressess like a royal and she is a very tidy person compared to other queens' who dressess up very untidy and sluggish as well the colours chosen do not match the theme or environment.The Queen is a traditionalist so her wardrobe suites her strong religious believe too.Do check out the following web site where you can take a look at a selection of The Queen's dressess that was worn for different occasions > http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/dressfortheoccasion/highlights.asp

Well, that's one of the things I DO admire about Elizabeth - at all times, she IS a Queen and she is always immaculate as long as there is daylight. Somehow, when it comes to evening wear, I feel her advisors let her down and her dresses these days just hang like ornate curtains. She is short as well, so there's the added disadvantage that when her feet show she then begins to look like a midget. But! This is about Margrethe's official portraits and I think we're about to stray...

fraxales said:
Well, that's one of the things I DO admire about Elizabeth - at all times, she IS a Queen and she is always immaculate as long as there is daylight. Somehow, when it comes to evening wear, I feel her advisors let her down and her dresses these days just hang like ornate curtains. She is short as well, so there's the added disadvantage that when her feet show she then begins to look like a midget. But! This is about Margrethe's official portraits and I think we're about to stray...
I am just defending The Queen as I am a loyal fan of the British Royal Family.

Last edited:
This thread is dedicated to Official portraits of Queen Margrethe of Denmark. You may discuss other royals at the threads dedicated to them.

Norwegianne

Danish forum moderator

I like Queen Margrethe official portraits very much. She always looks very stylish and regal on them. Personally, I rather like her official portraits from now, or some time ago, than the ones from her younger years. She was beatiful and worthy back then, but now she has a really majestic look.

Just my toughts...:rolleyes:

Vanesa.

Vanesa said:
I like Queen Margrethe official portraits very much. She always looks very stylish and regal on them. Personally, I rather like her official portraits from now, or some time ago, than the ones from her younger years. She was beatiful and worthy back then, but now she has a really majestic look.

Vanesa.
Yes,HM Queen Margarethe II looks beautiful,pretty and majestic now than before.Same goes to HRH Prince Henrik,the Prince Consort.

Last edited:
Vanesa said:

Vanesa.

Like they say: "Practise makes perfect!"

I think The Queen is a very stylish lady--but not fashonable! I love her portraits as she always looks very regal and dramatic,she always looks very comfortable and happy being The Queen.

New to this particular thread, but I was on the Glittering Royal Events Message Board and stumbled across a photo (not the same, but this was the only link I could find)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15166&d=1062437771

and WOW! What a stunning lady; that is easily one of my favorite gowns of all time; such elegance and grace. I cannot get over the whole effect she radiates!

These three are some of my favorites.

The first is not a traditional portrait, but something about this work really shows who Margrethe really is... relaxed, confident, warm, regal, yet very modern.

This portrait is another one of my favorites. The the lighting and the texture of this image. Strong, yet not as intimidating like most official works.

Finally, this image is nice, but it's predictable .

These three are some of my favorites.

I have just seen these splendid photos, GT. Thank you for posting them.

I think the Queen of Denmark an absolutely beautiful and elegant woman, and yes, I adore her more colourful and even, sometimes, outre outfits. She has the figure and personality to carry her clothes very well.

certenly she was very pretty when she was young, the photos are wonderfull

I certainly likes both: her more relaxed photos and the formal ones, in which she looks very regal. However, even if the portrait that GlitteringTiaras posted is excellent and shows a very beatiful elderly lady, I can't recognize Queen Margrethes physical features in it. :ermm:

Vanesa.

Back
Top Bottom