How did Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik meet?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Royal77

Commoner
City
cork
Country
Ireland
Hello,

Does anyone know how the Queen met the Prince Henik?

thank you

I think - and this is just dredging up my memory - that she was attending classes at a school in London. He was attached to the French Embassy in London as a low-level diplomat and they met at a party in London.

yes, this would be interested to know

The usual story is that it was at a wedding somewhere in the UK, in Scotland if I am not mistaken.

They met at a dinner party in London in 1965 when she was studying at the London School of Economics. Henrik (Henri de Monpezat at the time) hadn't wanted to go because he had assumed that the Crown Princess of Denmark, who he had heard would be attending, would be terribly boring. He had planned to leave as soon as possible. However, when he arrived, he found her fascinating...

Who may I Asked hosted the Party who was Prince Henriks Best Man

That would be quite interesting if it were true about them meeting at a diner party. I think that sounds eerily like the way Mary and Fredrick met. :rolleyes:

Very true! I hadnt thought of that!

I believe I read something about Queen Margrethe saying she felt like "the sky exploded" when she met Henrik.

Beautiful explanation of instant attraction.

Some posts have been deleted because we are only interested in Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's first meeting in this thread. You can find similar threads about other royal couples' first meeting throughout the forums.

Thanks for your cooperation. :flowers:
Mandy

Last edited:
Acording to what she said at her 70th birthday, there was apparently no feelings in the start. It was something they worked on, but when she fell in love, she did it with a bang.

Henrik grew interested first - long before she ever gave him a second thought. He has said that for quite awhile he didn't think anything could ever come of it so he didn't say anything to her, and just admired her from afar the way you would a nice painting or statue. :lol:

I don't know where I heard this but I thought he was working at the French embassy she was visiting was where they met?

Well I have recently been reading the Prince consort's 2 biograhies.

Evidently he was often invited to dinner parties in London. Being af low diplomat of some sort.

He went to the dinner party and was seated besides CP M. He found her to be not excentric but a woman of her own mind and with at large scale of interest. Already at this opoint she was apparently a intellectuel.

It wasn't love at first sight. M has said that she didn't think anything of him at the time.

Eventually they met again at a wedding. At the same dinnerparty 2 other guest had found such an interest in each other that it eventually resulted in a wedding party in Scotland.

Henry was invited as well as M.

Apparently Henry and M was seated besides each other in the plane back from Scotland if my memory serves me right.

At this point Henry was somewhat smitten.

Henry and a friend wanted to show some sights to M and another lady. Henry suggested that they shoul make a day and a night om the town. At this point M started to be interested.:lol:

On the Danish wikipedia I read this:
The Princess and Henri de Laborde de Monpezat met one spring night at a dinner in London in 1965.
Princess Margrethe studied at the London School of Economics and Henri de Laborde de Monpezat was the third secretary of the Embassy in London.

The following year, in 1966, they were reunited at a wedding in Scotland, where they refreshed shared memories, and the relationship became more serious.
https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryll..._Tronfølgeren_og_Henri_de_Laborde_de_Monpezat

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom