Prince Henrik, the Prince Consort (1934-2018)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
19 bronze figures made by PH will be put up for auction.

Some of them are quite interesting, but I don't think it suits our current budget. :ermm:

https://jyllands-posten.dk/kultur/E...iks-amouroese-par-og-fabeldyr-kan-blive-dine/

The auction will take place on 17th June at the Bruun Rasmussen auction house.

The figures stems from a private collecetion but have been acquired directly from PH.
- So to me that suggests a very close and dear friend of PH is putting them up for sale. A guess off the hip says Kristian Kjær. He has fallen from grace since an unfortunate incident ramming an official during a bicycle race. He got a suspended prison sentence for that. Leading him to be stripped of his court titles - and as such shunned by those close to the DRF.

Very interesting post. Sculptures are quite good and interesting also.

It has now emerged who is selling the sculptures that are up for auction.

https://realityportalen.dk/rcarticle/henriks-soede-hemmelighed-livslang-ven-beloennet-med-millioner/

It is indeed a trusted person, but not Kristian Kjær as my guess was, instead it's PH's valet through 25 years, Jesper Grønvald Jensen.
(He is seen in the photo in the article.)

Because a number of the sculptures have inscriptions like:
"Pour Jesper 20/5. Le Patron."

The sculptures are each valued at between 30.000-350.000 DKK. Combined the value is estimated at 1.6-1.9 million DKK.

----------

- It's not a huge sum, but for a retiring state civil servant it is nevertheless a very good contribution to the pension.

The article baffles me a little though. It says that Jesper Grønvald Jensen lives in his apartment (that is part of his job, enabling him to be able to attend 24/7 if need be) at Christian VII's mansion. That's the representation mansion.
It's a testament to PH's fondness of his valet (and QMII) that he has been allowed to keep his apartment in such a prominent location.
Normally members of the court, retired as well as serving, can apply for an apartment in one of the apartment buildings surrounding Amalienborg at a very favorable rent. (Certainly orders of magnitudes less that what such an apartment would cost on the free market.) Nikolai for a brief period lived in such an apartment.
The salary for court employees is not high, but they have many perks and a very good pension.
Normally it is considered very bad form to sell personal gifts presented by members of the DRF. But I guess PH perhaps in his testament made it clear that the sculptures could be sold for retirement, and/or QMII gave her ok for the same reason.
Because, after this period I think it's time for the valet to move out of his apartment at Amalienborg - and that means finding a place to live and pay a rent.
The auction house, Bruun Rasmussen, is also very close to the DRF. The owner is a personal friend of QMII. I don't think they would be eager to sell items by the DRF, if the sale had not been approved by the DRF. Not for such a modest sum.

The valet, Jesper Grønvald Jensen, politely declines to comment.

But he gave an interview to a newspaper, a couple of years ago, saying among other things about PH:
"The Prince Consort is so funny to be around. All who meet him falls for him. And I know no one else with so much empathy. He is extremely environmentally conscious and he has an open mind for all cultures.
He meets people on their level, while he at the same time take care to uphold formalities. Everything must be in order."

Jesper Grønvald Jensen must have been around PH during the last dreadful months.

Last edited:
It certainly sounds as if it was "approved of" no matter how discreetly by the RF, possibly it was a direct wish of Henrik in which case HM and the RF would likely not feel to go against it even if they wanted to.

This BT article is about a TV program that is a must see. And it is to be aired on DR on 3th January. Which means most here will be able to see it.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-henr...surrugue-jeg-troede-bare-jeg-skulle-til-kaffe

It's the respected foreign correspondent, Stéphanie Surrugue, who wrote one of the best biographies of PH that has been made. Without being personal friends, she got very close to PH. In the same way as Billed Bladets Trine Larsen got very close and personal to him.
There are going to be a number of bits from the recording she made with PH as a part of the interview.

Stéphanie Surrugue praises PH to high heaven, while at the same time managing to provide a pretty frank view of him and I personally think PH appreciated that.
I shall look forward to watching it.

Apart from that there are some good photos in the article-

This BT article is about a TV program that is a must see. And it is to be aired on DR on 3th January. Which means most here will be able to see it.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-henr...surrugue-jeg-troede-bare-jeg-skulle-til-kaffe

It's the respected foreign correspondent, Stéphanie Surrugue, who wrote one of the best biographies of PH that has been made. Without being personal friends, she got very close to PH. In the same way as Billed Bladets Trine Larsen got very close and personal to him.
There are going to be a number of bits from the recording she made with PH as a part of the interview.

Stéphanie Surrugue praises PH to high heaven, while at the same time managing to provide a pretty frank view of him and I personally think PH appreciated that.
I shall look forward to watching it.

Apart from that there are some good photos in the article-

Another thing to look forward to at the end of 2020!:lol:

:previous:
It sure is!

For those interested in PH, this is a must see.

The documentary is being shown now and it's very unusual.
No one are talking about PH, no one are being interviewed.
It is all one long row of archive material showing PH and hearing what he has to say about his life, his role, his marriage, his position, raising children, how he felt he was treated by the press, by the court apparatus and by the public.
Sometimes with recordings that was the basis for the portrait book by Stephanie Surruque.

That makes it not only unusual but we hear him speak, we hear his state of mind and most of time we also see him while he says things that were often very controversial.

People who speak French are very much at an advantage when watching this docu, because a lot of it is in French, sometimes also English.

You need to put on a filter, because as we only hear PH's point of view the docu will inevitably be biased in his favor.

It is a docu you can watch several times and find new angles and reach new conclusions. You can re-watch the same scenes, and think differently about what happened.

It is a very frank docu!
We see and hear many of the controversial statements PH came up with and we also hear PH express his frustrations, his hurt feelings and his anger even disappointment.

I have very mixed feelings watching it so far.
Sometimes I feel sorry for PH and understand him.
And sometimes I think he's too bloody thin-skinned!
Pretty much the way I though when he was alive: Sometimes I thought he was magnificent! At other times I wanted to hit him on the head with a shovel!

He was a very proud man. A very conservative man in regards to his role as the patriarch of the family and in so many ways out of touch with the Danish mentality in that respect.
His wish to have the title of king comes up. And there is a paradox.
On one hand he complains that a segment of the Danes don't appreciate him (true) and on the other hand, he asks: What it does it matter to them that I am King-consort? - That's why!
Titles matters little in Danish mentality. It's who and what you are that matters, not what you are called. PH never understood that.

PH was very much a man, who was a trailblazer.
He came to a very provincial country and a people that was even more tribal than today.
He was the first every male consort to a reigning queen in Danish history. QMII is after all the first reigning queen ever.
There was no role prepared for him. Alexandra, Mary and our Marie had a much easier time in that respect. Also because the DRF learned from the mistakes that were made in regards to PH.

It is a delight to see QMII head over heels in love! And we see a lot of that.
We also see her being pretty miffed, during a photo session! Fuming actually!

- Anyway, at some point we will all be able to watch this online, and when we do I will write a short guide, so you can follow what happens reasonably well.
There is nothing new as such, the difference is that now we hear and see PH saying what he feels deep down.
I will look very much forward to your comments and especially in regards to what he said in French, there are no doubt nuances that I will miss.

Never seen any evidence that the Prince Consort was treated with disrespect except in his own later opinion . Any footage I have seen shows him as being treated with the greatest respect . Especially in regards to the behaviour of HM Queen Margrethe

She had a difficult role to fulfill as did HM Queen Elizabeth maintaining
the role of wife and monarch in a society which still held to patriachal mores

It is a docu you can watch several times and find new angles and reach new conclusions. You can re-watch the same scenes, and think differently about what happened.

It is a very frank docu!
We see and hear many of the controversial statements PH came up with and we also hear PH express his frustrations, his hurt feelings and his anger even disappointment.

I have very mixed feelings watching it so far.
Sometimes I feel sorry for PH and understand him.
And sometimes I think he's too bloody thin-skinned!
Pretty much the way I though when he was alive: Sometimes I thought he was magnificent! At other times I wanted to hit him on the head with a shovel!

He was a very proud man. A very conservative man in regards to his role as the patriarch of the family and in so many ways out of touch with the Danish mentality in that respect.
His wish to have the title of king comes up. And there is a paradox.
On one hand he complains that a segment of the Danes don't appreciate him (true) and on the other hand, he asks: What it does it matter to them that I am King-consort? - That's why!
Titles matters little in Danish mentality. It's who and what you are that matters, not what you are called. PH never understood that.

PH was very much a man, who was a trailblazer.
He came to a very provincial country and a people that was even more tribal than today.
He was the first every male consort to a reigning queen in Danish history. QMII is after all the first reigning queen ever.
There was no role prepared for him. Alexandra, Mary and our Marie had a much easier time in that respect. Also because the DRF learned from the mistakes that were made in regards to PH.

It is a delight to see QMII head over heels in love! And we see a lot of that.
We also see her being pretty miffed, during a photo session! Fuming actually!

- Anyway, at some point we will all be able to watch this online, and when we do I will write a short guide, so you can follow what happens reasonably well.
There is nothing new as such, the difference is that now we hear and see PH saying what he feels deep down.
I will look very much forward to your comments and especially in regards to what he said in French, there are no doubt nuances that I will miss.

I look forward to it! Irrespective of whether one is an admirer, detractor, or both, I don't believe it can be fairly questioned that the Prince was an intensely complicated, thought-provoking person who was one-of-a-kind.

Never seen any evidence that the Prince Consort was treated with disrespect except in his own later opinion . Any footage I have seen shows him as being treated with the greatest respect . Especially in regards to the behaviour of HM Queen Margrethe

I have not had the chance to read his biographies, but my impression is that there is somewhat of a consensus among Danish royal watchers that he was widely panned for his perceived failure to assimilate into the Danish culture and language, and that he was rumored not to have an easy relationship with Queen Ingrid, who was in command of the royal house behind the scenes.

I agree with you that this is not the same as disrespect, but in fairness to him Prince Henrik is not the first or last royal consort who felt mistreated because it became clear that they were incompatible in some regard with the country and/or family into which they married. I suppose what made his case out of the ordinary was not his treatment or his feelings, but his public expression of his feelings, as most of the many royal consorts who have felt mistreated did not frankly express their frustration in numerous interviews, leave the country, miss official events, make an abrupt announcement about their retirement, etc. - and to be fair, some of this occurred near the end of his in life when he was most likely suffering from dementia.

Well, it mattered enough for the Danes to deny him the title. But that is probably a discussion more appropriate for another thread.

[...] Well, it mattered enough for the Danes to deny him the title. But that is probably a discussion more appropriate for another thread.
The Danes didn't deny Prince Henrik the title of king. His wife The Queen did. If she had put feelers out she might have been told by constitutional experts and the government that it wasn't a wise decision to change her husband's title but in the end it would have been down to her. Berlingske tidende wrote in 2009 that there was a majority in the parliament for a title change but that the Venstre & DF parties were against it.
One thing we shouldn't forget is that Prince Henrik was very popular during the latter years of his life. His larger than life personality struck a cord with many Danes. This, to me, makes his fall from grace because of his illness very sad.

I have not had the chance to read his biographies, but my impression is that there is somewhat of a consensus among Danish royal watchers that he was widely panned for his perceived failure to assimilate into the Danish culture and language, and that he was rumored not to have an easy relationship with Queen Ingrid, who was in command of the royal house behind the scenes.

Well, it mattered enough for the Danes to deny him the title. But that is probably a discussion more appropriate for another thread.

Well, Queen Ingrid was the matron of the family and for a man brought up like PH, her word is law.
There were persistent rumors that Queen Ingrid corrected him in regards to proper royal protocol.

As for his title. It was very simple: He had the second highest position in the country, regardless of title. So it was very difficult to understand what the point was.
And complaining about it and complaining about his position in the family did not help his cause! There was a very clear majority in the public against giving him a title containing the word king. King has a particular meaning in a monarchy. And it was felt he didn't deserve it. Especially not because he was whining about it.

As for the political majority: Yes, in as far as it is up to the monarch to bestow titles. But, and this is a very important but! The politicians from the two parties that expressed opposition against PH being giving such a title, were not just anyone. They represented the government's leading party and the party that de facto led the government at the time.
In other words it was as close to an official political no, as it could get without being voted down in the Parliament.

Last edited:
Well, Queen Ingrid was the matron of the family and for a man brought up like PH, her word is law.
There were persistent rumors that Queen Ingrid corrected him in regards to proper royal protocol.

As for his title. It was very simple: He had the second highest position in the country, regardless of title. So it was very difficult to understand what the point was.
And complaining about it and complaining about his position in the family did not help his cause! There was a very clear majority in the public against giving him a title containing the word king. King has a particular meaning in a monarchy. And it was felt he didn't deserve it. Especially not because he was whining about it.

As for the political majority: Yes, in as far as it is up to the monarch to bestow titles. But, and this is a very important but! The politicians from the two parties that expressed opposition against PH being giving such a title, were not just anyone. They represented the government's leading party and the party that de facto led the government at the time.
In other words it was as close to an official political no, as it could get without being voted down in the Parliament.

I thought the late Prince Hendrik was demoted to Number Three, after his eldest son?

I thought the late Prince Hendrik was demoted to Number Three, after his eldest son?

He was never demoted.

In a constitutional context, the crown prince automatically takes over if the monarch is incapacitated or absent.
If the crown prince is a minor, absent or incapacitated as well a Rigsforstander takes over.
The law is very clear on that.
PH was never a Rigsforstander. He never had a constitutional role.

PH may have been the head of the family, but in a constitutional context that is irrelevant.

PH never understood that.
PH felt demoted. But PH could not be demoted from a position he never had,

I often think PH saw himself as a second Bernadotte who was to take over as king of Denmark.
That wasn't necessary as there were many more in the Line of Succession and the public would never have accepted it.

And I believe that was the main reason for PH never being appointed Rigsforstander. Something both Queen Ingrid and Mary have been.

In a constitutional context, the crown prince automatically takes over if the monarch is incapacitated or absent.
If the crown prince is a minor, absent or incapacitated as well a Rigsforstander takes over.
The law is very clear on that.
PH was never a Rigsforstander. He never had a constitutional role.

[...]

And I believe that was the main reason for PH never being appointed Rigsforstander. Something both Queen Ingrid and Mary have been.

I agree the law is quite clear that the crown prince is to take over during a regency unless he is a minor, absent or incapacitated, and the prince consort ought to have been familiar with (and not complained about) a law which has been in effect since 1871.

On the other hand, if I understand you correctly, he was never appointed as Rigsforstander even when Frederik was a minor, absent or incapacitated, and in that regard he was treated differently from Ingrid and Mary.

I replied to the title discussion in the thread: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...scendants-may-2008-a-16845-5.html#post2365120

PH was never appointed Rigsforstander, in contrast to Mary and Queen Ingrid.

I firmly believe had PH been appointed Rigsforstander it would have caused a controversy, due to his behavior i.e. him complaining publicly about his position in the family and constitutionally, culminating with him running off to France. That stunt was IMO decisive.
While he may have had some, albeit limited but growing, sympathy for his position and arguments before that, the public became defiant after that. There was now no way PH would ever get a title containing the word king. Nor would he be accepted as Rigsforstander.
I believe not only the public but also the politicians simply didn't trust him.

Because PH ought to have been appointed Rigsforstander on occasion, considering his position and experience.

When Queen Ingrid and Mary were appointed, the politicians went out and publicly expressed their trust in them. In regards to Queen Ingrid the politicians directly said that she was trustworthy.
And as for Mary it was the same, there was no public protest at all, people felt she deserved it and the politicians expressed their delight. Many of the leading politicians having worked closely with Mary.

Last edited:
PH was never appointed Rigsforstander, in contrast to Mary and Queen Ingrid.

I firmly believe had PH been appointed Rigsforstander it would have caused a controversy, due to his behavior i.e. him complaining publicly about his position in the family and constitutionally, culminating with him running off to France. That stunt was IMO decisive.

That is fully understandable. But how far back did his behavior date? The France stunt occurred in 2002. What was the reason he was never appointed Rigsforstander in the 1970s or 1980s, when Crown Prince Frederik was a minor?

That is fully understandable. But how far back did his behavior date? The France stunt occurred in 2002. What was the reason he was never appointed Rigsforstander in the 1970s or 1980s, when Crown Prince Frederik was a minor?

Based on what my family talked about, he wasn't particularly popular in the 70's nor in the 80's.
Speaking "circus-Danish", his heavy handed approach to raising his sons, that is dealt with in the docu and caused an uproar! His obvious reluctance to walk two steps behind his wife. The public gossip at the time claimed that he got a dressing down from Queen Ingrid because of that. And not least for basically being too foreign. Keep in mind that DK was much more provincial back then.
In short: He had not been accepted by the tribe. That came much later.

Also, Queen Ingrid was pretty much always around to take over as Rigsforstander if need be.

Frederik's speech to the silver anniversary wasn't exactly helpful either, even though it was by no means meant at as criticism of his father.
The "It is said that you chastise the ones you love. Papa, we were never in doubt about your love for us."
Also seen in the docu.

Based on what my family talked about, he wasn't particularly popular in the 70's nor in the 80's.
Speaking "circus-Danish", his heavy handed approach to raising his sons, that is dealt with in the docu and caused an uproar! His obvious reluctance to walk two steps behind his wife. The public gossip at the time claimed that he got a dressing down from Queen Ingrid because of that. And not least for basically being too foreign. Keep in mind that DK was much more provincial back then.
In short: He had not been accepted by the tribe. That came much later.

Also, Queen Ingrid was pretty much always around to take over as Rigsforstander if need be.

Thank you. It is always interesting to hear the thoughts of people who were residents of the country at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
He must have been gratefull to the Danish Royal Family allowing the Castle of Cayx and his important collections of primitive art which most were sold at Bruun Rasmussen Auction House.

He must have been gratefull to the Danish Royal Family allowing the Castle of Cayx and his important collections of primitive art which most were sold at Bruun Rasmussen Auction House.

You are absolutely right.
While there is no doubt that PH at times wasn't treated as well as he deserved, by both the public and the press, he also lived a rich life that was beyond the wildest dreams of most.
As you point out, I think it's doubtful that PH, even if he had become a successful diplomat or pianist would have been able to buy and maintain a chateau in France.
Nor would he ever have met that many prominent people, royals, celebrities, statesmen and other very influential people.
Nor would he ever have seen so many things that even the extremely wealthy will never see, like the inside of royal palaces.
Nor would he have gone down in history. Because PH is now a part of Danish history, not least because he was such a colorful character.
If there is a Denmark in say 300 years, historians will study him and what will be the equivalent of documentaries will be shown about him.
And should the TRF exist in 300 years, there will be a thread about him. ?

So while he at times had a hard time in DK, it was also a life with many advantages and perks.

Right, this is a brief guide to the documentary.

It will be way too time consuming to go into details, so what I am going to do is to divide the docu into segments based on controversy and highlight particular episodes and moments where I suggest you pay particular attention to how PH acted and sounded.

01:10 - PH expressing his sadness and disappointment that he after 37 years wasn't accepted by a part in the population. (True, he wasn't.)
01:40 - What does it matter to them whether I'm Prince Henrik or king consort?
He wanted an identity and equality.
02:20 - Arrival and introduction to the Danish tribe.
05:55 - PH had not had and expected no problems adjusting from French to Danish culture.
08:40 - PH talks about how very sensitive and extremely shy he was as a teen.
09:10 - QMII didn't panic at all just because she at 26 or so hadn't been married, let alone had a boyfriend. In fact she had reconciled herself to the fact that she might never marry.
11:25 - PH's dad wasn't particular enthusiastic about the marriage. He advised his so to make sure he defined his future role clearly.
18:10 - The photo-op where QMII was hopping mad! She was not keen on answering any questions! Sp PH took over answering questions about their stay at Cayx.
19:20 - PH acknowledged that his sons got a strict upbringing and that is out of love.
20:45 - It is very clear that PH upon the death of Frederik IX expected to be promoted to something akin to queen, arguing that certainly Frederik IX would never have accepted that Queen Ingrid had remained princess.
21:00 - Now, what is he going to do? What will be his role? What is his job? Asked directly by journalists. - Among other things help the export businesses.
22:35 - First press meeting as regent couple. PH explains that being prince consort is one of the most difficult jobs in the world. At this point he still got Danish lessons.
PH points out in the recording that having an accent is frowned upon. (There is a good deal of truth in that.)
22:25 - The DR1 royal specialist, the Poul Jørgensen himself, asks PH whether he misses having a real job(!!) PH answered that one in very diplomatic way. (Notice QMII.)
26:30 - This segment caused an uproar in DK! Frederik was not at all happy about riding, but no mercy, it's back on the horse! So did PH's thoughts about how to raise children. (I can still remember the controversy back then, also within my family. There was only one TV channel, so everyone had seen it.)
30:00 - PH fought for and won the right to get his own apanage, rather than having to ask his wife "for money to buy cigarettes." There was actually a good lot of public opposition to that initially. That changed however.
32:25 - QMII admits that of course there are discussion between her and PH (read: fight) from time to time, and that's not something that is everybody else's business.
PH was very physically active and thus managed to be fit and slim.
34:25 - Being asked about the fact that he will always be number two, in regards to his wife. He explains that the role of prince consort is not well-defined.
35:05 - Silver anniversary. Interviewed by the Poul Jørgensen. PH explains that he was initially received very warmly, but after a while there was criticism and it wasn't easy to deal with.
In the recording PH explains that the Danes expect people who settle in Denmark to assimilate completely and become Danish. (Which is absolutely correct. Tribal mentality.) PH was not happy/willing to abandon his roots.
37:00 - QMII admits that she wasn't the support for her husband (in the root regards) that she ought to have been and that it took a while, before it dawned upon her how difficult that was for him.
38:00 - In the recording PH talk about how (DK) brags about gender equality, while refusing to address the lack of gender equality at the very top. I.e. him. He was not equal to his wife.
38:40 - Frederik's speech at the anniversary that caused a sensation! His remark about: "It is said that you chastise the ones you love. Papa, we were never in doubt about your love for us."
39:00 - PH talks about how he feels that Danish parents are way too lenient with their children and bringing them up.
Frederik continues to talk about the harsh upbringing. When turning to mother they were comforted, but she didn't side with them.
40:00 - In another speech Frederik emphasize that PH was hard and demanding but also warm and loving. And he was present.
41:40 - QMII is basically asked how about making PH Regent Consort?
41:00 - The infamous New Year Court for the diplomatic corps where the Frederik as Regent accepts the well wishes on behalf of QMII. And where PH felt usurped by his son.
In the recording he felt that he, the husband of the Queen, was nothing. It was the son who received the well wishes.
Constitutionally speaking the Prince Consort has no role.
The public opinion was that Frederik was and should be "number one" in this context.
43:20 - PH ran off to Cayx. Followed by one of the most awkward press meetings in DRF history. Everything is a-okay, we are all so happy, hurrah, hurrah...
In the recording he is asked why he wanted to have a title equal to his wife. After all he has everything. Status, position. Is it the Frenchman within him speaking? No, no. it's the man speaking. Every man, most men, wants an identity, he is after all the one who is the head of the family. So being usurped by his son was the final straw in a string of humiliations in regards to his status.
He got no public sympathy!
QMII felt sympathy though and that there perhaps was certain degree of glee in the press. It was hard for all in the DRF, hinting that PH wasn't quite himself. I.e. He wasn't in balance with himself. And acknowledge that he is more sensitive than he appears.
47:40 - PH explains it was not that big a deal, blown a little out of proportions and admits he was very upset.
48:10 - PH the artist. The musician.
50:00 - The older and perhaps more laid back PH. And in that role, genuinely popular, even cult.
50:50 - Watch QMII's initial reaction.
51.10 - In the recording he talks about sensing that his abilities are not what they used to be and that he has problems with his memory.
51:20 - PH officially retires.
51:55 - Official announcement: Dementia.
53:40 - Recording: Reflections about dying. He was not afraid to die.
54:00 - PH is no more.
55:30 - PH regretted he did not put a lot more emphasis on learning Danish. (That is to speak Danish, but he certainly mastered all the nuances and subtleties, including the humor which is very much based on irony. However, his spoken Danish was pretty miserable.) And as he observed, it annoyed the Danes and was seen as an affront. He declared himself being 100 % Danish. France was his old country, but he felt 100 % Danish.
All this with QMII speech to her husband on his birthday, declaring that even if she knew what life they would have, she would without hesitation say yes (I do) to him again.
In the end PH mentions that the most important thing is his life, is his family.

-------------

Stephanie Surruque was asked in a Q&A after the docu whether it would shown in French. And from what I could understand with my inadequate French, there are no immediate plans for that.
However, there is nothing to hinder that you mail DR1 and ask if they would add English subtitles to the docu: They have been known to listen to foreign requests.

I was touched by how sad the Duchess of Cambridge looked and I think she knocked it out of the ballpark with the choices of historical jewellery; it gave that image of continuity which is a plus for any monarchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that Muhler. I get the impression (as an outsider looking in) that the press knew by asking him continously about his role - ie; as no 2 to The Queen it would annoy and get him riled up. So over the years they - The Press kept on about it. I imagine Prince Henrik and The Queen had mostly a very good relationship and many good times out weighing the bad times.

Thank you for posting a link to the documentary about prince Henrik and to Muhler for giving an outline to what was said in Danish. It was lovely to hear the Prince speaking his native French; he did say at one point in English to Barbara Walters that Danish is a very difficult language. This from a man who was fluent in Chinese and who was brought up speaking Vietnamese! It is indeed the Oriental part of the man that I would have liked to see but I do hope that Danish TV will show more about the very rich life that was led by the first Prince Consort of Denmark:flowers:

You are welcome, Gerry & Tarlita. ?

I understand from people here on the TRF who have studied Danish that the grammar is relatively simple, but listening to Danish and speaking Danish is very difficult.
I understand the Copenhagener Danish is more difficult to learn than the perhaps more soft Southern Jutlandic Danish. More than one has claimed that it is much easier to understand.

Our Marie who speaks several languages has said that French and Danish have a number of vowels in common. An advantage English speakers seemingly don't have.
I'll leave it to others to judge whether that is correct or not.

PH of course had the advantage that he was immersed in Vietnamese when he was a child. And children pick up languages easily. They are programmed for that.
So I will ask: How was his English to English ears?

---------------------

You are probably right, Tarlita. At least certain segments of the press reveled in derogatory stories about PH.
However, PH was more than happy to mention the subject - and of course the press would feel obliged to write about something, that not only sells but is a topic of great interest to the general public.

And I agree. They seemingly had a good a loving marriage. Most likely because they allowed each other space and because they could stimulate each other intellectually. Of course having intellectual conversations is not a key to a happy marriage, but I think it was a great asset in QMII and PH's marriage.
There would more than likely have been times, where having separate bedrooms would have been not only practical but desired...

-----------------

I have written a lot about PH in connection with this docu, mostly to provide background info, but I don't have a fact sheet to the enigma that was PH.
Your analysis and your intuition is just as good as mine.

That's why I like this docu so much, because even people who do not understand Danish or French can here watch PH and study his tone of voice, his body language and mimic.

PH of course had the advantage that he was immersed in Vietnamese when he was a child. And children pick up languages easily. They are programmed for that.
So I will ask: How was his English to English ears?

American ears here. Based on that documentary, I'd say his English was good. Heavy French accent and slightly hesitating at times, but he seems to use and understand idioms that suggest he knew English pretty fluently.

But, Prince Henrik doesn't seem quite as fluent as the rest of the family. Queen Margrethe and Prince Joachim speak perfect English with a British accent -- you would have to listen very hard know that they are not native speakers or that English isn't their first language.

CP Frederik seems to speak English well, but he has a more obvious Danish accent, and he doesn't seem too confident when speaking English.

Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Benedikte also speak fluent and excellent English with a clear British influence, but their accents are not quite as perfect as their sister's. You can detect a slight accent with both of them.

I'm getting a little OT, but I saw some video the other day of Benedikte's daughters speaking English, and they both sound perfectly fluent with British accents. In fact, they sound more "English" than their cousin CP Pavlos, even though he grew up mainly in London.

Thanks, Kalnel. :flowers:

Most interesting.

The English of Prince Henrik was beautifully Frenchified and a pleasure to listen to, especially since he let his sense of humour shine through his words! I believe the Danish princesses had an English speaking grandmother in the Princess Margaret of Connaught but they were also sent to British schools, if I recall correctly. It is true that both Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim speak English well but their French is native as their father sent them both to French boarding schools!

Back
Top Bottom