Death and Funeral of Prince Henrik of Denmark: February 13 and 20, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Henriks coffin leaving the church just spotted his sister Catherine in her blue habit.

can our Danish posters kindly translate this last hymn? everybody is in tears, even HM.
A google translation of the last hymn "Du, som har tændt millioner af stjerner"

1) You who have turned millions of stars on,
turn on in our dark a tingling faith.
You are our light and you guard and cherish us,
so we sleep in peace and quiet.

2) Thanks for the bright day that has passed,
the present to us, your hands have given.
Forgive us what we did not achieve,
forgive all the evil we got done or said!

3) Thanks for every joy that filled our hearts,
every time you made our life a party.
Help us to bear every burden, every pain,
You know alone, what best serves us.

4) Thanks for the people who became our support,
when we found the road difficult to walk.
Help us tomorrow to help associate,
Meet us thouself in the weak and the small ones!

5) You who have turned millions of stars on,
The darkness of the world you want to bid despite.
You are our Father, the one who guards and cherish,
light in the dark that comes from us.

I must admit that I myself cannot sing that hymn without having tears in my eyes - even when it´s just a normal Sunday service.

It was a beautiful service, also very emotional. You could see the DRF smiling at times, so the pastor must have mentioned something that brought a good memory. I find it interesting that Joachim, who is often thought of as cold or stiff, has shown so much emotion these last days. Also it was good that the cameras did not show the family after the service, so they could have some privacy. Christian and Isabella were visibly grieving.

Was the organist the same one who played for the twins' christening? I recognized his style when he began the first hymn. He needed a mirror on that organ so he could see what was happening on the main floor. That's the problem with loft organs. All the music was just beautiful.

Now I hope that QM will take some time for herself to process everything - and it does take time.

Thank you to all the Danish posters who have contributed to this discussion. Very much appreciated. :flowers:

ETA: Thank you, Faster B for that translation. I can well understand the reason for the tears.

Last edited:
A google translation of the last hymn "Du, som har tændt millioner af stjerner"

1) You who have turned millions of stars on,
turn on in our dark a tingling faith.
You are our light and you guard and cherish us,
so we sleep in peace and quiet.

2) Thanks for the bright day that has passed,
the present to us, your hands have given.
Forgive us what we did not achieve,
forgive all the evil we got done or said!

3) Thanks for every joy that filled our hearts,
every time you made our life a party.
Help us to bear every burden, every pain,
You know alone, what best serves us.

4) Thanks for the people who became our support,
when we found the road difficult to walk.
Help us tomorrow to help associate,
Meet us thouself in the weak and the small ones!

5) You who have turned millions of stars on,
The darkness of the world you want to bid despite.
You are our Father, the one who guards and cherish,
light in the dark that comes from us.

I must admit that I myself cannot sing that hymn without having tears in my eyes - even when it´s just a normal Sunday service.

I have to say I've always admired the wonderful collection of hymns the different protestant denominations have (something Catholics totally lack, despite of amazingly composed music for Mass), and this one is another gem. Great choice.

I’m curious as to the festive sounding music that played when the the hearse was driving away? What was it? A personal request?

I'm not sure but I think it was a piece of music composed and named after Henrik, here is a link to it
looks like it may have been composed for their wedding?

Last edited:
It was a beautiful service, also very emotional. You could see the DRF smiling at times, so the pastor must have mentioned something that brought a good memory. I find it interesting that Joachim, who is often thought of as cold or stiff, has shown so much emotion these last days. Also it was good that the cameras did not show the family after the service, so they could have some privacy. Christian and Isabella were visibly grieving.

Was the organist the same one who played for the twins' christening? I recognized his style when he began the first hymn. He needed a mirror on that organ so he could see what was happening on the main floor. That's the problem with loft organs. All the music was just beautiful.

Now I hope that QM will take some time for herself to process everything - and it does take time.

Thank you to all the Danish posters who have contributed to this discussion. Very much appreciated. :flowers:

ETA: Thank you, Faster B for that translation. I can well understand the reason for the tears.
Not only Prince Christian and Princess Isabella. I saw that Princess Josephine was very moved at one point - that little girl ❤️ There was a long way to mom and dad although seated just in front of her ❤️

Yes, the organ player was the same who played at the twins christening - Jakob Stevns-Lorentzen. I think there is a mirror at the organ in Christiansborg. I know that there is one in Holmens Church.
The reason why he looked around was to keep in contact with the director of the boys choir :)

I’m curious as to the festive sounding music that played when the the hearse was driving away? What was it? A personal request?
The festive sounding music was "Prince Henrik´s salute march". Composed in 1967 by Preben Beyer as a wedding gift.

The earth cast on the coffin was from Marselisborg Castle and Cayx.

Last edited by a moderator:
could somebody please re sent the link from the beautiful service inside the church pls? ❤️

Not only Prince Christian and Princess Isabella. I saw that Princess Josephine was very moved at one point - that little girl ❤️ There was a long way to mom and dad although seated just in front of her ❤️

Yes, the organ player was the same who played at the twins christening - Jakob Stevns-Lorentzen. I think there is a mirror at the organ in Christiansborg. I know that there is one in Holmens Church.

The reason why he looked around was to keep in contact with the director of the boys choir :)

The festive sounding music was "Prince Henrik´s salute march". Composed in 1967 by Preben Beyer as a wedding gift.

Thank you for your prompt response

It was very sad and solemn ceremony. Its heartbreaking to say final goodbye and its hard to deal with the loss. My sincerest condolences to the family. RIP Prince Henrik.

Loved the touching moment at the end when they were waiting on the steps as the music played and Margrethe turned around briefly and her sisters both gave her a reassuring smile, encouragement.

A couple of very moving moments:
-on the stairs at the end of the service, QM pulled Frederick towards her and locked arms. There was a moment when everybody was moved and crying on the stairs waiting for the hearse to drive away.
- the boys bowing when the hearse left

(something was wrong with the pavement during the arrivals- ice? Oil? Even Princess Isabella kept looking at it)

(something was wrong with the pavement during the arrivals- ice? Oil? Even Princess Isabella kept looking at it)
The pavement was non-existing until Friday. The workers had to build it in a hurry. Copenhagen is one big construction site at the moment.

could somebody please re sent the link from the beautiful service inside the church pls? ❤️

The entire broadcast from Danish TV can be found here: https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/prins-henrik-1934-2018-tv/-/h-k-h-prins-henrik-bisaettelse
For some reason, their broadcasts tends to not work in Firefox or IE, but any other browser is fine.
From around 00:58:00, we see parliament be convened and the Prime Minister reading the message from the Queen to parliament, before the Speaker gives her personal and emotional statement to the late Prince and the Royal Family, before calling a minute of silence.
Around 01:15:00, members of the Royal Court arrive at the church.
Around 01:21:30, the ambassador of France arrives.
Around 01:39:00, the Speaker of the Parliament and the Prime Minister arrive.
Around 01:40:00, the noble family of Monpezat, siblings and other family members of the late Prince Henrik, arrive.
A little before 01:45:00, H.E Alexandra, Countess of Fredriksborg arrive, followed by H.H Princess Elisabeth.

Thereafter, T.M the King and Queen of the Hellenes arrive, followed by H.R.H Princess Benedikte.
H.M the Queen, T.R.H the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess, T.R.H Prince Joachim, Princess Marie and the 8 grandchildren of H.M the Queen, arrive around 01.59:00.

Last edited:
I’ve only seen the arrival and departure but what touching scenes they were. The grandchildren bowing/curtseying to the coffin, Margrethe linking arms with Frederik. Marie seemed so upset when she arrived today.

Prince Henriks coffin leaving the church just spotted his sister Catherine in her blue habit.

I have to comment on how proud Henrik would be of his lovely grandchildren. They have been so composed throughout this time. It is heart wrenching to see Isabella and Christian crying on the step. A lovely moment when the Queen gives Christian a reassuring smile and after she leaves how he takes his fathers hand for a few moments.

The Queen reminded me of Queen Elizabeth II throughout this mourning period. Trying to remain strong and put on a brave face.

I like that the family exchanged smiles during the funeral. Funerals are naturally sad, but it’s also a celebration of life. Smiles are good and acceptable.

The Queen drove in a Rolls-Royce, I think. What are the two other oldtimers with license plates Number 1 and Number 2 ? Are these Daimlers? Or Bentleys?

Last edited:
I have seen the whole service now. As well as a summary from TV2. There were a number of heartbreaking moments:
Josephine tearing up inside the church.
Athena, visibly sad, clinging to Felix.
Marie who could no longer contain her tears when the hearse drove away.

Here are some additional clips and pics:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-sidste-farvel-til-deres-elskede-prins-henrik
https://www.bt.dk/royale/usaedvanli...n-pia-kjaersgaard-i-taarer-det-gik-gennem-mit
https://www.bt.dk/royale/kongefamilien-tager-afsked-med-prins-henrik-ved-christiansborg-slotskirke
https://www.bt.dk/underholdning/kongelige-fik-sidste-privat-farvel-uden-kameraer-paa-0
Plads til både smil og tårer under prins Henriks bisættelse: - Første gang vi ser Dronningen så bevæget - TV 2
https://www.svenskdam.se/kategori/kungligt/

The guest list: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...sten-de-var-med-til-prins-henriks-bisaettelse

I also heard Erik Norman Svendsen's sermon. And, I dare say in a typical Danish fashion, it was not sentimental. PH's good sides and his accomplishments were praised but the controversies he caused (more or less deserved) were also mentioned.
When in Denmark, expect frankness, also at a funeral.
I thought it was a truthful and fine sermon.

----------------

Well, this actually worked IMO.

This subdued funeral service as well as the events in the days leading up to this made it seem much more intimate than a state funeral might have been.
It wasn't a big show, rather it was boiled down to the essentials; A family mourning a loved one.

But, what is your foreign perspective on this? What worked?
Do you thing other European royal families might be inspired? In other words will PH wish for a more low key funeral be an acceptable, even desirable, option to other royal families? Say Prince Phillip, who in a number of ways is comparable to PH.
Would it work in other monarchies you think?

Last edited:
With my Dutch ears I could follow the words of the Confessionarius and phew... yes, he was frank about Henri's "clashes" so to say. Indeed a no holds barred homily.

With my Dutch eyes I found the proceedings outside quite spartan. I would have decorated the pillars with tasteful white and green flower arrangements, I would have laid a grey carpet on the pavement and the stairs and -for an example- I was surprised Princess Benedikte was all alone and not accompanied by a Hofdame.

But that is only outside. Inside the Church it was fabulous. Two things which were surprising: the frank sermon and no word in French. And that for a Frenchman! For an example, at every Orange funeral the hymn À Toi La Gloire is sung, explicitly in French, stressing the French roots.

I have to correct myself: the Confessionarius spoke one favourite French sentence of the Prince which was translated by the Queen. I felt a bit for the family De Laborde de Monpezat: not even a wireless interpreter was serviced for them. A remarkable choice to do it all in Danish. But the execution by the royal household was flawless. Compliments.

Last edited:
"His last wish: Prince Henrik surprised Margrethe in the church
"Prince Henrik funeral today from Christiansborg Castle Church - and as one of his last wishes, he surprised his beloved wife for a last time: therefore, the beautiful wreaths and flowers in the church were arranged as a "blooming garden" - like the beautiful poem he in her time read high during her wedding with Margrethe"
https://www.seoghoer.dk/nyheder/kongehuset/prins-henrik-overraskede-margrethe-i-kirken

"It was Prince Henrik's wish to surprise the Queen a last time. Therefore, wreaths and flowers were arranged as a "blooming garden", the Kongehuset writes on Facebook,

The royals leaving the funeral. Nice little moment between the Queen and Frederik, with her tapping his back and sharing a little smile

It must be strange for Konstantinos as well to be at the funeral of another brother-in-law. Of the three, he is the only one left... and not in good health (nor is his other brother-in-law; the emeritus king of Spain).

Very special ceremony. Queen Anne Marie and Princess Benedikte's childrens why do not? King Constantine is old, hard to walk, I am sad. Princess Marie is very upset and crying.
I am sure they would have come had they been invited but as the number of attendees was kept as 60 (at the prince's own wishes I assume as it seems he arranged most of his own funeral), they were apparently (and not surprisingly) not among the 60 most important people to attend.

I saw that count Ingolf was wearing a crape; were there other men wearing it as well. Good to see him sitting next to his sister princess Elisabeth. And countess Alexandra seems still very much part of the (wider) family.

What a lovely thing for Henrik to do for the Queen.

The funeral was nice simple and you could tell they were a close family.

I think Henrik wanted his immediate family and closest friends so chose to not have nieces and nephews.

Last edited:
"His last wish: Prince Henrik surprised Margrethe in the church
"Prince Henrik funeral today from Christiansborg Castle Church - and as one of his last wishes, he surprised his beloved wife for a last time: therefore, the beautiful wreaths and flowers in the church were arranged as a "blooming garden" - like the beautiful poem he in her time read high during her wedding with Margrethe"
https://www.seoghoer.dk/nyheder/kongehuset/prins-henrik-overraskede-margrethe-i-kirken

"It was Prince Henrik's wish to surprise the Queen a last time. Therefore, wreaths and flowers were arranged as a "blooming garden", the Kongehuset writes on Facebook,

This is "heartbreakingly" moving. :sad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom