Death and Funeral of Prince Henrik of Denmark: February 13 and 20, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a strange thing to write. Grief comes in many different shapes and sizes, it's not something we're able to control and it is possibly one of the most personal, intimate things we experience in this world – there is no protocol for grieving. Who are you to dictate what is "authentic" grief and what isn't?

I also thought it was a strange comment. Perhaps, it was intended to create controversy?

Everyone reacts to death differently, some people fall to pieces, some people but on a brave face, some people take the opportunity to think of all the happiest memories. Also remember, though Henrik wasn't ill in hospital for long, his dementia has no doubt been going on for sometime and in many ways, for all we know, Margrethe may have lost the man she married over a year ago already and in that sense may have already mourned for him.

What a strange thing to write. Grief comes in many different shapes and sizes, it's not something we're able to control and it is possibly one of the most personal, intimate things we experience in this world – there is no protocol for grieving. Who are you to dictate what is "authentic" grief and what isn't?

So true! This "show some emotion" complaint is what the mob lodged against the BRF in general and QEII in particular when Diana died. :bang:

Why can't people accept that not everyone grieves the same? Queen Margrethe II, just like her contemporary QEII, was born and raised of an age when open display of grief was considered vulgar and intrusive. These things were to be displayed in private, not public.

When Queen Margrethe came out to briefly greet the public on the morning after the death of Henrik she was wrapped in a simple black coat and a regular dress. She walked out onto the grounds alone and with no fanfare. She could have been any suburban housewife picking up the morning newspaper to read while sipping her coffee. But then....

She turned ever so slightly toward the crowd of onlookers and cameramen and raised her right arm in a half wave, half salute. Her face was a composed and serene as I have ever seen it and she was smiling as if nothing was amiss. I will not forget that sight for a long while.

I didn't think to myself..show some emotion Your Majesty...you have just been widowed. I thought to myself THIS WOMAN IS A QUEEN...THE QUEEN OF DENMARK.

And no matter what happens to her it's what she will always be to her public no matter what she presents behind closed doors.

I was stunned with admiration and I envied the Danes for having such a person represent them.

I still do.

So true! This "show some emotion" complaint is what the mob lodged against the BRF in general and QEII in particular when Diana died. :bang:

Why can't people accept that not everyone grieves the same? Queen Margrethe II, just like her contemporary QEII, was born and raised of an age when open display of grief was considered vulgar and intrusive. These things were to be displayed in private, not public.

When Queen Margrethe came out to briefly greet the public on the morning after the death of Henrik she was wrapped in a simple black coat and a regular dress. She walked out onto the grounds alone and with no fanfare. She could have been any suburban housewife picking up the morning newspaper to read while sipping her coffee. But then....

She turned ever so slightly toward the crowd of onlookers and cameramen and raised her right arm in a half wave, half salute. Her face was a composed and serene as I have ever seen it and she was smiling as if nothing was amiss. I will not forget that sight for a long while.

I didn't think to myself..show some emotion Your Majesty...you have just been widowed. I thought to myself THIS WOMAN IS A QUEEN...THE QUEEN OF DENMARK.

And no matter what happens to her it's what she will always be to her public no matter what she presents behind closed doors.

I was stunned with admiration and I envied the Danes for having such a person represent them.

I still do.

I completely agree with you in every word. Had hoped we wouldn't have this discussion on this board at all....

Prince Henrik Passes Away: February 13, 2018

I agree completely. As you have said, people show their grief in many different ways. I personally am often quite private of my grief, and when my great-uncle died, I didn’t cry at his funeral, but that doesn’t mean that I had less grief than those who were (not that grieving is a competition, of course, because that would be silly), or that I’m cold-hearted or emotionless. It just means that I had my own way of coping with my grief, because my great-uncle was actually one of my favourite family members and was my grandfather figure after my grandfather passed away.

And I’m sure the DRF feel the same way. Just because they don’t burst into tears or fall to the floor doesn’t mean that they don’t care. It just means they’re finding their own way to grieve. I’m sure this is a very emotional time for the DRF and they don’t need these kind of critiques.

What an incredibly sad thing to say or even think. From a distance, I saw Frederik wipe his face presumably wiping a tear away. But just think for a moment, Queen Margrethe has lost a husband she loved for all his faults, but she is the Queen of Denmark and her people look to her in this time of loss. Frederik and Joachim have lost a father and they must not only stand and support their Mother but also their wives and children.

There is no purpose in beating one's breast and howling all over the place. Things need to be done, more than that, things have to be done and I don't think I am wrong in believing that while there are tears aplenty behind closed doors, Queen Margarethe is who Denmark is looking to and taking a lead from. Denmark is taking its lead from their Queen, not critiquing her grief.

Of all the things to criticize.....not mourning visibly enough :bang:

Some people aren't good at showing emotion outside. And many royals, especially older like Margrethe, have been taught to be composed in public. It doesn't mean that she isn't grieving the loss of her husband. This is a man she spent 51 years almost with married, longer together. The emotions on her sons and the kids was quite clear as well. You don't have to break down crying to show that you are suffering loss.

I agree with most of the above comments. People show grief in different ways and Margrethe, especially, was no doubt raised to be stoic, at least in public. I thought the entire family seemed very moved but was actually glad, (and not surprised), that there were no dramatic displays of emotions. What we saw was the public, formal good bye to Prince Henrik of Denmark and Margrethe and the rest were there in their roles as members of the Danish Royal Family.

Hopefully they’ll have all the time they need as individuals and as a family to grieve their beloved family member in whatever way they want, for as long as they want - in private.

On a somewhat separate note I continue to be impressed by Christian and Isabella. They behaved impeccably through some very intense times - I’m thinking especially of the family viewing the cards with the crowds and cameras all around them. I mention those two specifically because I would take it for granted Nikolai and Felix would know how to behave at their ages and I’m not convinced the younger children really knew what was going on.

:previous: Even Athena at six is old enough to have a pretty good understanding that Grandpa 'went to heaven' and isn't coming back. The different events, and the importance, perhaps not so much. But none of the kids are really that young that they wont grasp why everyone is sad/what is happening.

But yes, there was definitely a lot of maturity shown by the younger children in rough times.

There will be a ceremony at Christiansborg Palace Church, where 200 guests are invited. They consists it seems mainly of PH's many personal friends and and close associates.
The ceremony will take place inside the church as PH is in Castrum Doloris.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/200-gaeste...iver-vennernes-sidste-farvel-til-prins-henrik

- I think that indicates that the actual funeral ceremony will be very private, with only the family.
200 additional guests is perhaps a little too many for a private ceremony. So this I imagine is a kind of compromise.

I noticed while watching the live feed that as the royal family entered the church behind the coffin Nikolai and Felix did not follow them in. They turned off to the side as the inner church doors closed.

They were sitting in the third row with their siblings in the video.

The discussion has shown that there is a broad agreement that people show their grief in many different ways. We cannot and should not judge over such a sensitive matter, so let us please move on - thank you!

Further posts discussing the matter and ignoring this request have been and will be deleted without notice!

Last edited:
(..)

Today the DRF went to see PH's casket lying in Castrum Doloris.
Only the adults this time though

And here are the first photos: https://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/...ns-henriks-baare-inden-doerene-bliver-aabnet/

-------

More from BT: https://www.bt.dk/royale/lige-nu-dronningen-besoeger-henriks-kiste

-----------------

A 24 pic gallery from DR1 of the event yesterday: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/b...ag-prydede-kisten-paa-ruten-gennem-koebenhavn

Here is a TV2 clip from this forenoon: Kongefamilien besøgte prins Henriks båre på 'castrum doloris' - TV 2

Somehow J&M ended up as the last ones, but a Majesty doesn't wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Instagram of the Royal House

"His Royal Highness Prince Henrik's båre is now on castrum doloris in Christiansborg Castle Church. In two hours, the Castle Church opens to the public in the period from 15:00 to 19:00. Tomorrow there will be access from 12:00 to 19:00 and Monday from 15:00 to 19:00.
Under Castrum Doloris, several of the Prince's orders are placed on a black velvet cushion set on a pulpet. The Elephant Order's chain of order is located at the bottom of the pillow with the badge, the elephant. Inside the chain is seen at the top of the Dannebrogord's main square crossing, below this chest of the Elephant Order, and to the right of the Dannebrogorden's chest star. Below is the breast star of the great cross of the French Æreslegion. Prince Henrik became the Knight of Elephant Order on his wedding day, June 10, 1967"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfTBrtqHW0L/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Do you think Joachim and Frederik will stand guard at some point?

Do you think Joachim and Frederik will stand guard at some point?

I don't know but i don't think so. There have as far as i know never been any "Vigil of the Princes" in the Danish Royal House.

Are you able to watch the video in the top of this page? (When it starts).
LIVE: Se de historiske billeder af prins Henriks båre på 'castrum doloris' - TV 2

TV2 will show 15 minutes live of people walking past PH's casket.
That's in 30 minutes from now.

Billed Bladet: Castrum Doloris: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/her-hviler-prins-henrik-nu

A 5 minutes video summary of the DRF arriving and leaving today: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/video-dronningen-tilbage-i-slotskirken

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know who will inherit Prince Henrik's estate in France ? I am not familiar with French inheritance laws, but is the estate divided equally between the widow and the children of the deceased ?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know who will inherit Prince Henrik's estate in France ? I am not familiar with French inheritance laws, but is the estate divided equally between the widow and the children of the deceased ?

Good question, Mbruno. Perhaps Muhler knows more about this? I recall reading something a long time ago that the estate in France would be left to Frederik.

However, I could very well be remembering incorrectly.

At the funerals of King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid, the women of the Danish royal family covered their heads with a veil , see links below. Will they do it also at Prince Henrik's funeral, or has the Danish tradition changed over the past decades ?

Here is the wreath from the grandchildren: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/smuk-krans-fra-boerneboernene-til-prins-henrik
To Grand Papa.

The wreath in front of the casket is from Daisy.
Then two also in front of the casket but behind the one from QMII, they are from M&F and J&M.
On each side of the casket are wreaths from Queen Anne Marie and the Greek royals, as well as from Benedikte and the Berleburgs.

https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/resolve/image_1240/image/111/1115831/20080504-.jpg
https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/resolve/image_1240/image/111/1115832/20080505-.jpg

TV2 reported that prior to the opening of Christiansborg Palace Church, a queue of people wishing to pay their respect was half a kilometer long.

----------------

:previous:
I understand that it is Frederik who is eventually to inherit Chateau de Cayx - presumably with the clause that is for the general use of the DRF.
Looking far into the future I could imagine especially Athena or Henrik marrying and settling in France and live at the chateau as stewards.
M&F's affiliation to France isn't as strong as J&M, IMO.
M&F will partly be busy in the years to come no matter what and if they were to have a home abroad, Australia would seem more likely.
So I think the chateau will be used more frequently by J&M and their children. It would IMO also be more sensible to let Joachim have the overall management of the chateau. Despite Schackenborg he does have both the experience and the education in running an estate - even at a distance. Not to mention better time.

---------------------

That, Mbruno, is a question for FasterB. ?

--------------------------

Are any of our local Danes going to pay their respect to PH at Christiansborg?

Last edited:
is the estate divided equally between the widow and the children of the deceased ?

Under the 'Code Napoleon', the deceased's property is indeed divided [in equal measure] between his/her immediate family ,and if none can be found, amongst more distant relatives [again equally].
In this instance there should be no problem, but sometimes VAST trouble is created by this, rippling down the generations [in some cases].

Last edited:
At the funerals of King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid, the women of the Danish royal family covered their heads with a veil , see links below. Will they do it also at Prince Henrik's funeral, or has the Danish tradition changed over the past decades ?

But at Queen Ingrid's funeal it where only her thre daughters who used a Veil. then Princess Alexandra did not use one. The fuenral of King Frederike was more formal as the ladies also wore their Order sashes which they did not at Queen ingrid's funeral.
Why the did the for a short moment put the coffin of King Frederik down before they changed their direction to go to the Glücksborg Chapel?

From today HRH Prince Henrik's castrum doloris in Christiansborg Castle Church was opened to the public.The Danish people can walk by the bier, give flowers and show their last respect to the Prince.

Belga Image

Last edited:
Are any of our local Danes going to pay their respect to PH at Christiansborg?

I'm planning to go – especially since I'm held up all Tuesday so I won't get to see the funeral – but avoided today as I figured it would be absolutely stacked which seems to have been a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom