Death and Funeral of Prince Henrik of Denmark: February 13 and 20, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's it. They've reached Amalienborg.

Quite a few people showed up what is basically only cars passing by.
I noticed many cars had pulled over, in the opposite direction from the cortege when driving on the high way.

Tomorrow at 18.00 the casket will be transferred from Amalineborg to Christiansborg. As far as I understand, this will be as close to a funeral procession as is possible, while still respecting PH's wishes.

------------------

Here is a BB gallery of the private part of the park around Fredensborg and it is somewhere here PH's urn will be buried.
This part of the park will be open to the public when the DRF is not in residence.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ne-her-faar-prins-henrik-sit-sidste-hvilested

----------------

A BT gallery from Fredensborg today, including the hearse leaving Fredensborg:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/se-de-roerende-billeder-her-bliver-prins-henriks-kiste-baaret-ud
And also Amalienborg.

Last edited:
That's because there will be a mini funeral procession Friday, when the casket is transported from Amalienborg to Christiansborg.
Normally there is a procession after the service. From the church to Roskilde. But since he is to be cremated that's not an option.

Today at 10.00 PH will be driven from Fredensborg to Amalienborg, a drive that is expected to last about an hour, so it will take place at a moderate speech.
I expect quite a few people will show their respect. especially at the beginning around Fredensborg and towards the end when the hearse and the cars with the DRF enters Copenhagen city.

In 20 minutes, a 40 minute salute will start.

You can rest assured there will be live coverage from both events all forenoon.

https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1
Are you able to watch this live link outside DK?
Thanks for the explanation!

Yes I can see the link here in Florida.? Thanks

Touching to see the Prince leaving Fredensborg. I see 6 red uniformed gentlemen (I think footmen in daily costume) and 2 gentlemen in white uniform, which look like household servants or something?

I like three oldtimers following the hearse.

Touching to see the Prince leaving Fredensborg. I see 6 red uniformed gentlemen (I think footmen in daily costume) and 2 gentlemen in white uniform, which look like household servants or something?

Yes, they are servants of various kinds.
It was very much PH who ran the household on a daily basis, so they would have known him very well.

There was no barriers, no police cordon at Amalienborg Square. Instead police officers and guardsmen who were not on guard duty went about and quietly directed people as to where to stand and answered questions and so on.
That's pretty typical for the DRF, there is little physical distance between them and the Danes. - And long may it remain so...

Margrethe looks very composed as so does Christian. Very worthy ceremony for Henrik.

it was a quick passing for henrik. i feared it would be so when he was released from hospital and the official press release said 'he would spend in fredensborg his remaining days'. it would have otherwise have been communicated simply as 'he was discharged from hospital and is recovering'.

i am saddened to see that he is not receiving a state funeral though. henrik was prince consort and has given a lot of his life to representing denmark. it is only fair that he gets a proper farewell, whatever his comments and actions were in the past - specially given his latest episode (on not wanting to be buried with the queen) was in a time when he was diagnosed with dementia. surely they could come up with a more 'private' state funeral that gives him proper honors without too much pomp, for good measure. it is rather childish and ungrateful to not do so.

edit. i just read that it was his wish not to have a state funeral. shame, but i guess it was his choice.

A private funeral was the express wish of the prince. I am glad the Court is respecting that.

F&M and J&M and all the children came out to see the flowers and tributes people left on the courtyard.

Afterwards, F&M and the children walked home across the courtyard. I assume J&M and family went back in to drive home.

Last edited:
Gallery from today

Belga Image

As always thank you Muhler!! You are the best reporter the Royal Forums has from there!!

The flowers looked lovely and the candles too. Looks like he is getting a lovely send off.
Thank you Muhler for the BT link. And the information. Thanks to others also for contributing.

M&F have been outside Amalienborg looking at the flowers people have left there.
Their children were there too.

Pics and clips will no doubt follow.

Thanks for your thorough explanations Muhler (as always!)

I see Mary's wearing the diamond brooch she received from Henri in her early days as a princess. Apropriate.

Had to go for a while, our Sanne decided it was time to walk dad. - She insisted...

Here is a TV2 clip of the DRF, minus QMII, going out on Amalienborg square to look at the flowers.

Rørte prinser og familier mødte danskerne på Amalienborg - TV 2

It was reported that Joachim got visibly moved and was comforted by his wife. When they walked inside it looked to me like Marie was very saddened. - No wonder. Apart from being a no doubt loving father-in-law PH, must also have been a link to France.
I notice that Isabella is again seen holding dad's hand. It's funny with children, when it really matters they tend to turn to a particular parent. Perhaps she is daddy's girl, just as QMII was.

A photo: https://jyllands-posten.dk/pictures...ALTERNATES/h-free/doc6yvp7z6u7sy1a2z45kys.jpg

A nice gallery from Berlingske: https://www.b.dk/nationalt/prins-henriks-baare-koert-til-amalienborg#slide-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
The comments by the Daily Mail's readers are disgraceful. Most of them seem to imply that the Queen is happy or even "ecstatic" (as one reader put it) with her husband's passing.

Many of them are certifiable nutcases. I rarely bother reading them.
But considering the angle Daily Mail never fails to twist their stories with, it's no wonder people get a negative view of PH.

---------------

ADDED: According to Svensk Damtidning no one from the SRF will attend PH's funeral. - I assume that will be the case with all the RF's.

https://www.svenskdam.se/kategori/kungligt/

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am sure there will be some kind of memorial at a later stage with royal attendance.

DR and TV2 has been granted permission to transmit the entire funeral ceremony on Tuesday according to the Head of the Press Department Lene Balleby.

Joachim was visibly moved by the tributes you can see.

On a side note, lovely to see Athena going home with the Crown Princely family rather than going with her parents. She walked back holding hands with Josephine.

Isabella is sticking very close to her dad in these sad times.

Interesting development. Because CG and Margrethe are first cousins so that's pretty close to family, I've always thought that they would go.

Does 'no other foreign royals' include the Greeks and SWBs? I sincerely hope not.

A private funeral was the express wish of the prince. I am glad the Court is respecting that.

I am a little surprised that Henrik's wanted a private funeral, given his wishes to be called King Henrik.

Interesting development. Because CG and Margrethe are first cousins so that's pretty close to family, I've always thought that they would go.

Does 'no other foreign royals' include the Greeks and SWBs? I sincerely hope not.

If only the Queen and her children/grandchildren attend then maybe, but Anne-Marie is her sister so maybe she and Benedikte will be there for Margrethe.

Last edited:
:previous: Yes, crm2317, the two cousins are close. We've seen that a number of times.

Good. They are children, they shouldn't be hanging their heads, there will be time enough in the future for that. They should play and have fun.

https://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/...s-baare-vogtes-af-almindelige-vaernepligtige/

While PH is lying in state, his casket will be guarded 24/7 by conscripts from two military units and an NCO.
The units are the Royal Lifeguard Regiment and mates from the crew of Dannebrog - they are about now beginning their training for service aboard Dannebrog for the summer cruises.

I can imagine that they would have to draw the line somewhere as his wish clearly was a small family funeral. I can see Margrethes sisters attend but if they would invite cousins etc, it would look unkind to not invite the other royal houses as well, where atleast the older generations are good friends of the danish regent couple. And then it would undoubtly be a big royal ceremonial funeral wich was not what he wished for.

Last edited:
I can imagine that they would have to draw the line somewhere as his wish clearly was a small family funeral. I can see Margrethes sisters attend but if they would invite cousins etc, it would look unkind to not invite the other royal houses as well, where atleast the older generations are good friends of the danish regent couple. And then it would undoubtly be a big royal ceremonial funeral wich was not what he wished for.

I think it also depends on the space in the Church. I remember when Queen Ingrid was Castrum doloris there they had removed the benches in the Church and the coffin was placed in the center. Don't think they will do it like this again as the fuenral Service will be in the Church. But no idea how many people can fit into the Church.

I think it also depends on the space in the Church. I remember when Queen Ingrid was Castrum doloris there they had removed the benches in the Church and the coffin was placed in the center. Don't think they will do it like this again as the fuenral Service will be in the Church. But no idea how many people can fit into the Church.

Yes the Church is not very big (but not very small either). I can imagine that they will have one strict queue line in and one strict queue line out of the Church. I can imagine the altar rail and the pulpit will be removed but not the benches because, as you say, the funeral service will be held there.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.jpg
    IMG_2278.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2295.jpg
    IMG_2295.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 180
i feel sad for queen marghrete, frederik in the same car witj his family, joachim with his family too...the queen sit alone in the car [emoji22]

Back
Top Bottom