The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-20-2019, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Lovely gallery of Henrik from the DRF. In the second photo he looks so much like little Josephine!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-20-2019, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Since Vietnam was a French colony during the period of Henrik's childhood, it is more likely that he grew up with French as his primary language and learned to speak Vietnamese as well...particularly as French was the language of the upper classes in colonial Vietnam.

Maybe that is why he was always perceived as principally a Frenchman. He was part of the large group of French expatriate aristocrats living in Southeast Asia.
True, that would account for the perception. Interestingly, though, a Norwegian historian Trond Norén Isaksen described Henrik as speaking better Vietnamese than French as a child.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I'm glad that close friends of Prince Henrik are expected to attend. I understand that the sole friend at his funeral was sent as a representative of all of his friends, but the others will surely appreciate the opportunity to formally bid him farewell.

A nice way to pay tribute to the prince.

Given that Prince Henrik was principally raised in Vietnam and that he was brought up speaking Vietnamese, it is notable that he was apparently perceived as simply a Frenchman by the Danes. Did he indeed lose his ties to Vietnam after he completed his education?
He wasn't principally raised in Vietnam though. He moved back to France when he was 5 years old (where he was born). Of 18 years of childhood, he spent 11 in France. He returned in 1950 for two years where he finished school. He was a French born citizen, born to French parents, who lived for a time in a French colony. As an adult he served in the French army and in the French foreign office. He was exactly that, a French citizen. He was an expat at best during his time in Vietnam. It would be odd IMO if anyone considered him anything but French.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
He wasn't principally raised in Vietnam though. He moved back to France when he was 5 years old (where he was born). Of 18 years of childhood, he spent 11 in France. He returned in 1950 for two years where he finished school. He was a French born citizen, born to French parents, who lived for a time in a French colony. As an adult he served in the French army and in the French foreign office. He was exactly that, a French citizen. He was an expat at best during his time in Vietnam. It would be odd IMO if anyone considered him anything but French.
You're right! I misread the dates in the obituary and stand corrected.

Odd perhaps, but in some other monarchies it would have been more noticed - Prince Philip in the United Kingdom has been referred to as "German" though neither he nor his parents were German citizens and he lived in Germany for a mere year. In comparison, despite Prince Henrik's relatively short time in Vietnam, he has given the impression that his years living there significantly affected him and influenced his perspectives, as the bishop mentioned in his sermon.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
You're right! I misread the dates in the obituary and stand corrected.

Odd perhaps, but in some other monarchies it would have been more noticed - Prince Philip in the United Kingdom has been referred to as "German" though neither he nor his parents were German citizens and he lived in Germany for a mere year. In comparison, despite Prince Henrik's relatively short time in Vietnam, he has given the impression that his years living there significantly affected him and influenced his perspectives, as the bishop mentioned in his sermon.

Prince Philip is no German but as his maternal grandfather was Ludwig Prinz von Hessen-Darmstadt (named Von Battenberg) and his maternal grandmother was Viktoria Prinzessin von Hessen und bei Rhein, there is a firm teutonic part in him, of course. The labelling German is often used in a negative connotation, in disfavour of the Duke.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Lovely gallery of Henrik from the DRF. In the second photo he looks so much like little Josephine!
Yes it was and I hadn't seen some of those photos before.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

In a recent interview Joachim said this about the last days of his father:

Vi kunne godt se, at det begyndte at gå ned ad bakke med min far. De sidste to uger gik det relativt hurtigt, og gudskelov for det. Han nåede ikke at lide. Han nåede at leve. Og det skal man ønske for sine nærmeste. At de ikke lider.

"We could tell that it began to go downhill for my father. During the last two week it went (downhill) relatively fast and thank God for that. He didn't linger long enough to suffer. (The meaning of the next sentence is not clear to me, but I will translate it to something like this:) He lingered long enough for the family to say goodbye. And that's what you must wish for the dearest to you. That they don't suffer."
Old 06-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Majesty

What a wonderful memory to hold on to.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The IMO currently best royal reporter on BB, Trine Larsen, has been remembering PH and the relationship between them, that over the years developed into a professional friendship.
Each year on her birthday, he sang the birthday song for her.

- A nice touch you rarely see between royals and royal reporters.
Very considerate of him. I can see why many of the Danes who met Prince Henrik were fond of him.

I have a question to ask in regard to the sermon given at the Prince's funeral. If I understood it correctly, the bishop remarked that along with the missing job description and title of a male consort, "other" circumstances probably had a role in the prince's feelings of being excluded and overlooked. What other circumstances was the bishop pointing to?
Mindre lykkelig følte prinsen sin rolle i det danske monarki og med årene kom hans kritik heraf stærkere frem. Han følte sig undertiden forbigået og overset, og gav den manglende arbejdsbeskrivelse og titulatur for prinsgemaler skylden. Andre forhold har sikkert også spillet ind, men hans kritik fyldte meget i spalterne og delte befolkningen i to grupper: De som forstod prinsens anfægtelser, og de som kritiserede ham.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Mindre lykkelig følte prinsen sin rolle i det danske monarki og med årene kom hans kritik heraf stærkere frem. Han følte sig undertiden forbigået og overset, og gav den manglende arbejdsbeskrivelse og titulatur for prinsgemaler skylden. Andre forhold har sikkert også spillet ind, men hans kritik fyldte meget i spalterne og delte befolkningen i to grupper: De som forstod prinsens anfægtelser, og de som kritiserede ham.

"Less happy did the Prince feel with his role in the Danish monarchy and over the years his criticism of that emerged ever stronger. At times he fell passe by and overlooked, and blamed the lacking job-description and title for prince consorts. Other causes were surely also a factor, but his criticism took up a lot of space in the (newspaper) columns and divided the population into two groups: Those who understood the reservations of the Prince and those who criticized him."

The circumstances referred to can be anything. General dissatisfaction about not being number two in regards to the Constitution. I.e. feeling usurped by his oldest son.
Not feeling his title reflected his position within the family. I.e. as head of the family and an equal to his wife.
Feeling at times unappreciated for his work and ridiculed.
You continue the list.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:27 AM
Aristocracy

In reading the above, IMO, The Prince loved his wife very much, however, he resented her being Queen and loved by her Country. The Prince wanted to be King and the head of Denmark, even though he was born in France and with that and other laws, it meant he never could be King. His resentment in many ways ate at him and we all saw in the last years. It was a very sad situation. I can only imagine how bad it was behind the Castle walls. I hope the Prince is resting in peace now. Again this is my own opinion.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Had PH been an ordinary Dane, no one would have lifted even half an eyebrow.

I'd say the vast majority here in DK are cremated. And I'll also say that the majority are buried in an unmarked grave.

It it quite common to have your ashes spread at sea.

Many are buried (usually an urn) in a forest, like PH will be. - Or more correctly PH's urn will be buried among trees in the private part of the park around Fredensborg.

A relative minority prefer to be buried in marked graves or family plots.

Then there are those who belong to other faiths like Jews, Buddhist, Muslims, Asa-followers and atheists of course who have their special plots in the state cemeteries, - which are for all.

What is unusual is that PH's burial wishes is singular among the DRF. Normally they are entombed, or buried in a coffin like Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
DR: The former master of ceremonies Christian Eugen-Olsen (the guy I mentioned in the above post) said on DR1 that he's glad that PH whises to be cremated, with half his ashes being spread over the sea, and the other half being put in an urn and buried at Fredensborg. - Why? Because that shows that he saw himself as Danish. He repeats that ''PH is a Dane and has always felt like a Dane''.
So whilst his burial plans were singular for a very senior royal, they conformed to the experiences of most ordinary Danes. I wonder if it was his riposte to his acquired reputation as a "vain Frenchman"?

Quote:
Okay, what I'm going to say now may be considered controversial by some, so be it.
I think the DRF have interpreted the court mourning very strictly, almost to the point of making a statement IMO.
I can completely understand the DRF not attending celebratory events. And I totally understand QMII taking a few weeks off for reflection, I would also take time off in her place. That's natural.
However, the DRF went almost completely under ground for these past four weeks, only attending what was absolutely necessary.
To me it is almost like they are saying: PH was not universally appreciated while he was alive, but this is how important he was to us. Get it!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I completely agree. I am very surprised by the very strict interpretation.
Was mourning interpreted more leniently in connection with Queen Ingrid's passing?

Old 01-05-2021, 10:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
So whilst his burial plans were singular for a very senior royal, they conformed to the experiences of most ordinary Danes. I wonder if it was his riposte to his acquired reputation as a "vain Frenchman"?

Was mourning interpreted more leniently in connection with Queen Ingrid's passing?

Thank you. It is always interesting to hear the thoughts of people who were residents of the country at the time.
Could be, but I honestly don't think so. I think his wish about being cremated was genuine and in accordance with his beliefs, that leaned towards Buddhism.
It was no secret he loved the sea and Dannebrog and I think being partially buried at Fredensborg was so that his family could privately visit him, whenever they wanted to.

The mourning in regards to Queen Ingrid was never a topic as far as I can recall. Nor was it so sternly observed, again IRRC.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:54 PM
Majesty

I was surprised about the reaction of France when he passed away.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:54 AM

Is there an English translation of the Bishops sermon at Prince Henrik funeral