Death and Funeral of Prince Henrik of Denmark: February 13 and 20, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could someone clarify this please?
The necklace CP Mary wore to the funeral, was it not a gift from Prince Henrik?

IIRC, Prince Henrik gave the 2 tone pearl necklace to CP Mary and she wore it to the engagement reception with a green satin dress.

Yes, it was the same necklace.

She probably is. ? I think they have somehow preserved her indefinitely. She sure is one of the most viewer-friendly royal reporters I know of.
She has an ability to boil down long and pretty complicated royal issues (and foreign affairs events as well) into something that is informing and entertaining at the same tie.

Good question. I lean towards Flowerbed. The closing of the Olympic Games is a kind of celebration, so I think he'll skip and instead meet the athletes (who haven't accomplished much BTW) at a later event.
And perhaps the whole family, especially the children, need a little time to get back on the ground an reflect on the past three weeks.

And a little afterthought on how the last few days have been handled by the DRF.
Since this was smaller than a state funeral. there were less distractions. I.e. foreign representatives, parades and military and torches and what not, to take away from the human aspect of PH's death.
It became more manageable and we (I at least) were much better able to feel with the family. To focus on the family. To genuinely feel their loss, making it much more personal, and much more a tribal thing.
Here the tribe gathered to if not mourn PH, then certainly reflect on his life and show sympathy for the DRF, who all tribal members know. - And even those who thought it was too much got something out of it. As you know, next to taking part in something there is nothing better than to moan about it. :D

And judging from the comments here I have a distinct feeling that many, if not must of you, somehow, in your way, also felt a part of it. Albeit from a distance. I mean, the human aspect was easier to relate to, also for you, rather than had this been a large state funeral.
Do you understand what I mean? I hope I'm not too presumptuous.

-------------------

ADDED. Yes the windmills were also shown. They are shown in at least some of my posts.

Dear Muhler, as I am sure all fellow posters will agree, it is your informed commentary that makes the events-both royal and otherwise- become so very real. Your help with understanding Danish society-the tribe- has been invaluable and made the events of the past days quite vivid indeed. I have just checked, there is a bell tower at the cathedral in Nuuk so that I am certain even in far away Greenland, Prince Henrik is remembered: no flowers, probably, as it is now the Arctic winter but that is why Greenlandic traditional dress is so colourful, no?:flowers: I do hope there will be photo's posted of remembrance services for the Prince; it will give the DR more to talk about:lol:

Dear Muhler, as I am sure all fellow posters will agree, it is your informed commentary that makes the events-both royal and otherwise- become so very real. Your help with understanding Danish society-the tribe- has been invaluable and made the events of the past days quite vivid indeed. I have just checked, there is a bell tower at the cathedral in Nuuk so that I am certain even in far away Greenland, Prince Henrik is remembered: no flowers, probably, as it is now the Arctic winter but that is why Greenlandic traditional dress is so colourful, no?:flowers: I do hope there will be photo's posted of remembrance services for the Prince; it will give the DR more to talk about:lol:

Thank you, I blush. ?

PH was very much remembered in Greenland, and the Faeroe Islands as well.
PH was Danish, while very much being French. In the same way the Greenlanders and the Faeroese are also Danish, but they definitely don't consider themselves Danes! So in that way they very much relate to PH. As indeed they do to Marie and Mary.
And in Greenland the DRF is even more popular than in Denmark!
So PH has been remembered fondly these days, there as well.

That is also the case with a lot of immigrants in Denmark. In a new country, or in a country where they are not or don't feel assimilated, the aspect of Mary, PH and Marie coming to Denmark like themselves, overcoming problems, adjusting, learning a new language, learning a new culture - and sometimes make mistakes. That appeals to many immigrants and that way they feel they can personally relate to the DRF. And added to that some come from patriarchal cultures where a head of a family, clan, country is essential.
Apart from that the tone in immigration issues here in DK is very hard, and very frank! (I personally think that's a good thing for various reasons, but that is off topic here.) People who come from perhaps in particular Britain, German and Canada too. And also USA until recent years tend to be shocked when coming here and experiencing the tone! The immigration and assimilation issue in DK is discussed in ways that are orders of magnitudes harder and more direct and frank than in those countries. So there is also some alienation going on.

So as an immigrant what do you look to?
The culture? Your cultural background is different and you haven't been assimilated yet.
The language? Danish is notoriously difficult and full of subtleties, not to mention a huge amount of irony.
The flag, the national identity? That's anchored in a long history.
The democracy? - Eh, well, hmm.
The royals? Hmm, they are a simply easy to understand group of people, who are also living role models with immigrant having married into the family for many centuries. - Yeeees, they are someone to look to, to rally around, to agree on respecting.
So a lot of immigrants also paid their respect to PH these days.

Thank you, I blush. ?

PH was very much remembered in Greenland, and the Faeroe Islands as well.
PH was Danish, while very much being French. In the same way the Greenlanders and the Faeroese are also Danish, but they definitely don't consider themselves Danes! So in that way they very much relate to PH. As indeed they do to Marie and Mary.
And in Greenland the DRF is even more popular than in Denmark!
So PH has been remembered fondly these days, there as well.

That is also the case with a lot of immigrants in Denmark. In a new country, or in a country where they are not or don't feel assimilated, the aspect of Mary, PH and Marie coming to Denmark like themselves, overcoming problems, adjusting, learning a new language, learning a new culture - and sometimes make mistakes. That appeals to many immigrants and that way they feel they can personally relate to the DRF. And added to that some come from patriarchal cultures where a head of a family, clan, country is essential.
Apart from that the tone in immigration issues here in DK is very hard, and very frank! (I personally think that's a good thing for various reasons, but that is off topic here.) People who come from perhaps in particular Britain, German and Canada too. And also USA until recent years tend to be shocked when coming here and experiencing the tone! The immigration and assimilation issue in DK is discussed in ways that are orders of magnitudes harder and more direct and frank than in those countries. So there is also some alienation going on.

So as an immigrant what do you look to?
The culture? Your cultural background is different and you haven't been assimilated yet.
The language? Danish is notoriously difficult and full of subtleties, not to mention a huge amount of irony.
The flag, the national identity? That's anchored in a long history.
The democracy? - Eh, well, hmm.
The royals? Hmm, they are a simply easy to understand group of people, who are also living role models with immigrant having married into the family for many centuries. - Yeeees, they are someone to look to, to rally around, to agree on respecting.
So a lot of immigrants also paid their respect to PH these days.

The royal family as window into Danish society: a very interesting idea indeed Muhler. Perhaps this is also why many Americans have a sort of 'nostalgie de monarchie' and are wishing to be subsumed back into the British Commonwealth:lol: However, this is a discussion for another day and forum; Prince Henrik mastered Danish culture, as his funeral so eloquently showed!:flowers:

It must be strange for Konstantinos as well to be at the funeral of another brother-in-law. Of the three, he is the only one left... and not in good health (nor is his other brother-in-law; the emeritus king of Spain).

Queen Anne Marie seemed very moved as they were watching the hearse pull away. I noticed she bowed and had to look away. Princess Benedikte seemed be trying to say something to distract her.

:previous:My favorite part of that first photo is Mary turning around to check on the kids. I was a little nervous when I saw the seating arrangement left the little ones in a separate row from the adults. But then I saw how Nikolai and Felix spread out to sit next to their younger siblings and cousins. Nikolai is pretty much an adult these days anyway.

I also noticed what good big brothers Nikolai and Felix are to Athena and Henrik. The older boys were always taking one of the younger children by the hand or reassuring them -- sometimes I thought they were watching over the kids more closely than Joachim and Marie were. And, it was very sweet the way they put themselves near the younger children at the funeral.

I also thought it was touching when Christian took Vincent's hand for a minute when they walked up to where the Queen was waiting for the hearse.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is times when we are able to witness visibly how a family interacts with each other in these times of loss, of grief and of sadness of losing someone beloved to them that we see and focus on the deep impact that Henrik has made on their lives.

There is no discord, there is no hint of negativity but only the prime focus on the love and the compassion and the genuine relationships that were forged over a lifetime of being together, interacting together and living life together as a family.

This, then, is Henrik's legacy. It continues on.

But walking on the catwalk in a fashion show isn't ?

I think they are different. Frederik in Pyeongchang is on behalf of the representative of Denmark and DRF (and also he is IOC member) so it is more like an official duty to him, while Nikolai doing the catwalk show is a private work which isn't limited by the court, he isn't obligated to skip it.

I like the theory that, funeral is a celebration of life and love. That's exactly what I saw in P Henrik funeral, moving and beautiful.

Its also very possible that Nikolai participating in this fashion show was planned and put on the calendar way before his grandfather even got sick. We have to remember that Henrik's last illness was a very short one.

To me, fulfilling his obligation which he promised to do, shows strength of character doing what he said he was going to do. Between the time of Henrik's passing and the funeral service, there really isn't much that a grandson can do and I would imagine his grandmother, who is the epitome of duty and self discipline, is rightly proud of him for honoring his commitment.

What a beautiful and sad service! My deepest sympathies to the Queen and her family.

Hopefully Prince Henrik is now at peace, and this is in regards to his health more than anything else.

I feel for the grandkids, especially the young ones (which is basically everyone except Nikoali and Felix). My first brush with death came when I was 11 and my grandfather died. Its such an interesting age...you are sad because a beloved figure is gone and you are not quite sure to handle to process it (at least that was the case with me) and than to see the people in your life who are quite capable of handling anything (in this and my case my parents) fall apart because of the loss. Its a strange feeling. At least they will have some memories of their grandfather and they have older cousins who can share some of their memories.

I was in my 40's when my last grandparent passed, and although I miss her immensely, I feel incredibly blessed to have had her as long as I did.

Muhler, thanks (again) for your informative and interesting posts! :flowers:

Thanks for your detailed account of the TV-coverage, Royal Norway.
It was actually even more extensive as shown by you! They showed reruns of the portraits and documentaries as well.
I know (that's included in the post). ?

I did watch about 30% of it (still hearing Danish voices in my head):

My take on some of the experts during this days:

Christian Eugen-Olsen (former master of ceremonies at the court) on DR1: Excellent commentary as usual, but he was a bit to much pro-Henrik, I think.
He was also a bit disappointed about the lack of pomp (not a big surprise).

Stéphanie Surrugue (DR journalist who wrote an biography about PH) on DR1: Very balanced and fair in her commentary, but I don't think she's a monarchist.

Lally Hoffmann (TV2's former court reporter) on TV2: Balanced and fair in her commentary.

Anna Von Lowzow (commentator for TV2 during royal events) on TV2: Excellent commentary, but very pro-Henrik (not a big surprise since she is close to the DRF).

Ulla Terkelsen (TV2's foreign correspondent) on TV2: Funny and eccentric as always, but she was very pro-Henrik the first day (who surprised me a bit).

Trine Larsen (BILLED-BLADETs court reporter) on TV2: Very good as usual, but very pro-Henrik (due to their friendly relationship).

The Danish TV-networks, especially TV2, has tendency to go completely berserk whenever something extraordinary happens and this was no exception!

They go live the instant something this unusual happens and send out every reporter able to hold a microphone to every single corner of the realm!
Also abroad mind you! They dragged on old experienced foreign affairs reporter who also cover royalty out of her bed in Italy (I think it was), down on the street and got her to report every fifteen minutes or so!
Right now no less than seven reporters are admitted to nerve sanatoriums where they are reporting non stop from the padded cells there. One of them was found, frozen half to death, interviewing seals off the coast of Greenland.
And most of the time the news could be boiled down to this: Prince Henrik is dead, he's going to be buried, we really don't know where and when, and people are paying their respect by laying flowers.
Otherwise it was reporters reporting next to nothing, anecdotes, portraits, live interviews with anyone and everything that hadn't managed to escape the foaming reporters. If an alien spaceship had landed in Copenhagen last Wednesday the aliens would have asked to comment on PH's death before anything else!
The thing that irritated me with the coverage of PH's death was the over-praising of him, not the amount of programming.

I for one actually like the wall to wall coverage of royal celebrations/deaths (yes, I'm nuts :D).
Why do I like it? Well, there's 3 reasons:
1. It's an historical event (especially when the monarch dies).
2. It's something magical to it (and therefore the media and a lots of ordernary people goes wild, alsp part of the magic).
3. It doesn't happen in a republic (poor them).
And it was only on the two public service channels (and the news channel), so if people wanted to see something else, they had the opportunity.

I vividly remember years ago when President Clinton visited Copenhagen. TV2 had placed one of their anchormen (Jes Dorph) at Copenhagen Airport hours before the President was even going to land in DK.
Here he with increasing madness in his eyes reported: "The President is going to land here in Copenhagen Airport. In the airport. On the tarmac. Air Force One will come in from that direction... or that direction. He's going to fly in. And land. Then the President is going to leave the plane... When he has landed. In the airport. - Is that Air Force One coming in?!? No, it is not, there is nothing coming in, but the plane will fly in. From the air". - That went on for at least two hours! That is when they weren't busy interviewing kindergarten children on the Faeroe Islands about the visit.
- It was the most bizarre unintentional comic show I have seen in my entire life! :D
Something similar happened here when QEII (2001), Obama (2009) and the Cambridges (2018) visited Norway.

When the day happens that QEII dies, that will get a coverage here in DK that will leave several British networks behind. They'll be left standing there in the dust. - I'm serious!
I don't know what psychological mechanism sets in here. I think it's a tribal thing.
Actually some of the British channels is even more nuts than TV2/DR:
BBC One: The coverage of QEII's Golden/Diamond Jubilees and her 80/90th birthdays was on a bigger scale that what we've seen in Denmark for royal celebrations.
BBC/Sky News Channels: They went completely crazy (even I think it was a bit to much).
ITV: Not on the same scale (but broad coverage).
And they (including Channel 4/5) goes wild with documentaries (also in non-milestone years).
Her death: They will go mega-nuts (Operation London Bridge has been in planning for years).
Everyone will go nuts (including channels in Canada, Australia, News Zealand, Germany, the US and Scandinavia).
As a British commentator said last year, it will be like the death of all the popes, US presidents and Nelson Mandela all at ones.

But as I said in my previous post, the coverage of PH's death shows us that the Danish television stations really take the monarchy seriously (also when QMII celebrates her milestone birthdays/jubilees).

Would we have seen such a large-scale TV-coverage in most other monarchies in Europe (with the exception of the UK and Norway) after the death of a consort? No, I don't think so.

The Coffin of our late Queen Consort Fabiola was on the Ground of the Cathedral such as Pope Jean Paul II. During the Funerals the Queen had the Spanish Salve Rociera to remember she was born in Spain.
For Prince henrik , only a french sentence...I hope there is a french translation for de Montpezat 's booklet.
The Ambassador of Denmark in Paris put a huge Portrait of Henri de Montpezat on the wall of his Embasssy. Well done!

Last edited:
I indeed missed a French poem, a French hymn or a French homily for a Prince whom was so essentially French. As you stated for the Spanish Queen Fabiola the Salve Rociera was played. For the German Prince Claus the hymn Angst und Vertrauen was played. For the German Prince Bernhard the anthem of Lippe was played and La Golondrina was sung, a Spanish tribute to the bird which features in his personal Arms. The funerals of both Consorts in included the French À Toi La Gloire as hymn by the way, reminding the French origin of the House. For Queen Elizabeth the massed bands with bagpipes gave an unforgettable tribute to her Scottish homeland. I missed this in Henrik's funeral.

Last edited:
I indeed missed a French poem, a French hymn or a French homily for a Prince whom was so essentially French. As you stated for the Spanish Queen Fabiola the Salve Rociera was played. For the German Prince Claus the hymn Angst und Vertrauen was played. For the German Prince Bernhard the anthem of Lippe was played and La Golondrina was sung, a Spanish tribute to the bird which features in his personal Arms. The funerals of both Consorts in included the French À Toi La Gloire as hymn by the way, reminding the French origin of the House. For Queen Elizabeth the massed bands with bagpipes gave an unforgettable tribute to her Scottish homeland. I missed this in Henrik's funeral.
Oh, Jakob Stevns-Lorentzen, the organ player, did indeed play french music.
Jakob Stevns-Lorentzen played César Franck: Piéce Héroïque as postludium.
He played "Les feuilles mortes" when the French part of the family arrived (IIRC then it was at their entering in the church).
Programme for the cremation service: Program for bisættelsen | Kongehuset

And Erik Norman Svendsen cited a french saying that was written on one of the window glasses at Fredensborg Castle.

At Castrum Doloris a lot of French music was also played. You can see the programme here: Musik ved Castrum Doloris | Kongehuset

Your characteristics of the commentators is spot on, Royal Norway.

I think the media coverage of this and similar royal events, (At least in DK - and we can only shudder at how it will be when QEII dies!) was going to the limit of what it could take before it would backfire.
It's a natural and healthy reaction I think. There is only so much you can take before you react against it. For us royal geeks, the tolerance level is no doubt considerably higher than for those who are more moderately royal-inclined.
I think one week of royal carpet bombing is about all it can take, then we all need a break IMO.

:previous: Well, it has been emphasized again and again that PH had a vere direct and detailed hand into the planning of his funeral, so the lack of French references will have to be in accordance with his wishes.

At the funeral ceremony, that is.
Because the portraits very naturally focused a lot on his French background.

3. It doesn't happen in a republic (poor them).

I can remember one instance here in the US when it did happen. I was 11 years old when President John Fitzgerald Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas. It was the first time ever that I remember constant news coverage on all stations available at that time (only three major US channels were available).

It happened during a school day and as soon as the news hit that JFK had been shot, we were sent home and most of us parked in front of our TV sets. We saw Cronkite tearfully announce that the President was dead. We saw Lee Harvey Oswald assassinated by Jack Ruby on live TV. We cried as we saw little John-John salute as his father's coffin passed. The US came to standstill for those days.

With Henrik's passing and his funeral, it was pretty much the same. Henrik became an integral part of all things Danish. It was a nation's loss and a nation responded and drew together to mourn their loss and to remember the person that Henrik was and to console and comfort his Queen he left behind.

I remembered something yesterday that Id forgotten about when I wrote about my visit to the Castrum Doloris. Outside of Christiansborg Palace Church was one of the most Danish images of all - baby prams. Empty, although since its in Copenhagen I wouldnt have been surprised to see some babies there. One baby belonging to a woman quite close to me was crying and when she parked her pram by the stairs she asked the guard if her baby would disturb to much inside. The reply was "Just bring him along. The Prince loved children".
As it happened the baby, whod been crying for a good 30 minutes, got quiet as soon as they walked through the doors.

I remembered something yesterday that Id forgotten about when I wrote about my visit to the Castrum Doloris. Outside of Christiansborg Palace Church was one of the most Danish images of all - baby prams. Empty, although since its in Copenhagen I wouldnt have been surprised to see some babies there. One baby belonging to a woman quite close to me was crying and when she parked her pram by the stairs she asked the guard if her baby would disturb to much inside. The reply was "Just bring him along. The Prince loved children".
As it happened the baby, whod been crying for a good 30 minutes, got quiet as soon as they walked through the doors.

The power of love ...:flowers:

Aw, thank you for sharing your story.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful and heartwarming story. From the guard's words, we know that Henrik's love of children was very well know to the Danish people.

So much has come out that has been heartwarming and positive surrounding Henrik's death that I get the feeling he is a man that I would have loved to have known.

I wonder will there be a memorial Service for Prince Henrik in the coming months ?

I wonder will there be a memorial Service for Prince Henrik in the coming months ?
I don´t think so. There has been the cremation service and that´s it.
Perhaps the family will gather when his ashes are to be spread on water and put in the private garden. But I don´t think that Erik Norman Svendsen or Henrik Wigh Poulsen (the royal priest from 1st April) will be present.

Last edited:
And now for something unpleasant.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/svensk-uge...lle-paastande-om-margrethe-og-frederik-vi-har

The Swedish discount gossip magazine Hänt has stepped way over the line in regards to the DRF, in connection with the funeral of PH.
So far that the publishing that owns Hänt, Aller, has apologized to the DRF.

The cover on the issue reads:
The family's revenge against Prince Henrik.

With three minor headlines reading:
The son Frederik hated his father.
Henrik was denied a royal funeral.
King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia disappointed with Margrethe - (for not being invited).

Inside the magazine you can read that QMII smirked at PH's funeral.

The Aller Publishing house has announced that the have apologized to the court.
The court has not yet commented on the story, or the apology.

------------

Aller is in a poor position in Denmark right now, because the civil lawsuits against Aller, in connection with the Se & Hør scandal are now being dealt with a court.
Aller intends to deny responsibility and instead refer any economic compensation to those who are suing to the former editors-in-chief (Those who ended up in prison you know).
At least one editor is now saying that he doesn't want to take the beating for something that the publishing house actually did know, he claims.
https://www.b.dk/nationalt/alle-kaemper-mod-alle-i-beskidt-slutspil-i-se-og-hoer-sagen

Last edited:
The flowers

The queen has asked that all the flowers that people have laid at Amalienborg and Fredensborg Castle, and the flowers and wreaths that were in the church at Prince Henry's funeral.
Should be laid at the memorial of the soldiers.
It is very beautiful :

And now for something unpleasant.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/svensk-uge...lle-paastande-om-margrethe-og-frederik-vi-har

The Swedish discount gossip magazine Hänt has stepped way over the line in regards to the DRF, in connection with the funeral of PH.
So far that the publishing that owns Hänt, Aller, has apologized to the DRF.

The cover on the issue reads:
The family's revenge against Prince Henrik.

With three minor headlines reading:
The son Frederik hated his father.
Henrik was denied a royal funeral.
King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia disappointed with Margrethe - (for not being invited).

Inside the magazine you can read that QMII smirked at PH's funeral.

The Aller Publishing house has announced that the have apologized to the court.
The court has not yet commented on the story, or the apology.

------------

Aller is in a poor position in Denmark right now, because the civil lawsuits against Aller, in connection with the Se & Hør scandal are now being dealt with a court.
Aller intends to deny responsibility and instead refer any economic compensation to those who are suing to the former editors-in-chief (Those who ended up in prison you know).
At least one editor is now saying that he doesn't want to take the beating for something that the publishing house actually did know, he claims.
https://www.b.dk/nationalt/alle-kaemper-mod-alle-i-beskidt-slutspil-i-se-og-hoer-sagen

This kind of trash is familiar to the anglo-saxon world; it is called the National Enquirer. I am sorry that it has migrated to Scandinavia, but not surprised. :bang:

:previous: It's despicable. :bang:

There is now a statement from Lene Balleby:
It reads:
"We were made aware of the front page yesterday evening (Thursday). It was Danish Aller that phoned me and apologized for the front page".
Friday the DRK PR office got a mail from Aller in Sweden:
"Aller in Sweden have in writing presented us with an unreserved apology and have expressed regret for the front page. We will take no futher action in this matter now".

Vi blev gjort opmærksom på forsiden i går aftes (torsdag 22. februar 2018, red.). Det var danske Aller, som ringede til mig og undskyldte forsiden,« forklarer Lene Balleby.Fredag har hun også modtaget en mail fra Aller Media i Sverige:
»Aller i Sverige har på skrift i dag givet os en uforbeholden undskyldning og beklaget forsiden. Vi gør ikke mere ved sagen nu,«

- The Aller Publishing house has a dominant position the Scandinavian magazine market.But Aller has a terrible reputation in Denmark after the Se & Hør scandal, which they were now recovering from.
Their reputation in Norway isn't too good either.

I don't know how it works in Sweden, but in Denmark the magazine in question and the responsible editors would get heat from the media watchdogs.
This isn't a big story, yet, in DK. Because the main story today is that the negotiations between the state and the public employees have broken down, so a major strike is now a very real possibility.

I absolutely hate these trash scandal media papers. They take great delight in damaging people. If they just gave facts [like births, weddings,relationships even divorces] showing documentation and 100% proof, people that live for that type of crap could read. But to just invent stories for fun with no documentation is really nasty and immoral IMO.

Gosh, there always has to be one. These remarks were really uncalled for but I expect nothing more from the gossip press. If they needed to say something, though, they could have at least waited a little longer after the funeral. It's too early for this kind of rubbish.

Nevertheless, I thought the funeral was a beautiful ceremony and there were many touching moments - my favourites being the interactions between Mary and Josephine, as well as the moment in the livestream where Marie passed Joachim a tissue. That was quite a poignant moment IMO.
I felt so sorry for Margrethe when I saw her trying to keep the order of service away when she was wiping her tears. Whatever we thought about Henrik, he was an excellent grandfather and a quirky character. Margrethe has publicly coped with his passing in a very well and dignified manner.

Gosh, there always has to be one. These remarks were really uncalled for but I expect nothing more from the gossip press. If they needed to say something, though, they could have at least waited a little longer after the funeral. It's too early for this kind of rubbish.

Nevertheless, I thought the funeral was a beautiful ceremony and there were many touching moments - my favourites being the interactions between Mary and Josephine, as well as the moment in the livestream where Marie passed Joachim a tissue. That was quite a poignant moment IMO.
I felt so sorry for Margrethe when I saw her trying to keep the order of service away when she was wiping her tears. Whatever we thought about Henrik, he was an excellent grandfather and a quirky character. Margrethe has publicly coped with his passing in a very well and dignified manner.

Agree with your post and am thinking about HM Queen's orders to transfer the memorial bouquets/wreaths to Kastellet and the war memorials located there, as well as her asking for all notes, stuffies, paintings and drawings to be preserved and brought to her at Marselisborg to examine: each and every one!:flowers: I believe Easter is celebrated there, no? In any case, what a wonderful way to reflect and commemorate the miracle of rebirth and rejuvenation that Spring brings (as I look out my window to the local dreary grey winter day:bang:)

Back
Top Bottom