Death and Funeral of Prince Henrik of Denmark: February 13 and 20, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moving to see dear Princess Elisabeth and dearest Tino!They must be in pain walking.:sad:

Attachments

• funeral.jpg
    funeral.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 2,873
Princess Marie seems to be in a particular fragile state today. And also it was quite moving to see Queen Margrethe doing quite a deep curtsey in front of her husband's coffin.

I agree I found Margrethe curtsying very moving. I think Marie was close to Henrik with the shared French heritage and his passing seems to have really hit her today. Maybe because the funeral always feels like the final confirmation that they really aren't coming back.

Thank you so much for explaining all this so well for us, these days! Would it be too much to ask, what is the hymn that everybody sang, the very first one, that I remember having heard again during the little princes' christenings?

Very special ceremony. Queen Anne Marie and Princess Benedikte's childrens why do not? King Constantine is old, hard to walk, I am sad. Princess Marie is very upset and crying.

can our Danish posters kindly translate this last hymn? everybody is in tears, even HM.

I'm glad they have given the family some private time in the chapel without the cameras. This must be so difficult as it is without cameras in their faces.

Is the queen wearing a widows veil?

Here's a video of the guests and members of the Royal Family arriving for the Funeral Service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why in the speech of the Lutheran minister it was said the late Prince converted to the Lutheran faith fromCatholicism. For the Montpezat family that is Catholic probably that detail did not seem appropriate to be mentioned at the funeral.

Last edited:
I haven't watched the service yet. I was standing outstide the church, so I don't know the name of the last hymn.. :)

Will watch it later today.

I guess as he was having a Lutheran Funeral it was a way of acknowledging his previous religion, the religion of his family, as well as showing how he had given up his religion for his love for the Queen.

Is the queen wearing a widows veil?

Yes indeed, she is, a veiled hat.

I don't understand why in the speech of the Lutheran minister it was said the late Prince converted to the Lutheran faith fromCatholicism. For the Montpezat family that is Catholic probably that detail did not seem appropriate to be mentioned at the funeral.

Heu... but Prince Henrik did convert to Lutheranism. It was one of the sacrifices he did to become a Prince of Denmark, together with giving up his homeland, his nationality, his language. Seems hard to me not to mention it.

can our Danish posters kindly translate this last hymn? everybody is in tears, even HM.
Yes, please... I found myself shedding a tear or two... Margrethe was trying to hide her face behind her little book, for a moment she was fragile, too... I have really admired her these days, she has been one of my favorites for years, mostly because of her multi-faceted personality... but now, she has also proved her great sense of duty and that is admirable, too!!!

Hmm Queen Anne-Marie didn't seem impressed with the kerb when she got out the car. The King seemed very frail. I thought it was nice that Elisabeth and Alexandra arrived together.

The order of service including the words of the hymns are on the Royal website:
Program for bisættelsen | Kongehuset
I've tried linking a translated version of the page but I can't get it to work but I'm sure someone else will be able to.
The Queen was definitely hiding her tears behind her order of service during that last hymn. Eventually it has to come out and I know from experience it can be the oddest thing that can set you off. She has been so strong in public all week.

I guess as he was having a Lutheran Funeral it was a way of acknowledging his previous religion, the religion of his family, as well as showing how he had given up his religion for his love for the Queen.

I find it very inappropriate and not very respectful towards his Catholic family.

Personally I don't see how, its a fact, it happened already. I don't speak Danish so can't say for sure but I doubt it was done maliciously. Surely its better to be honest than pretend like he was Lutheran all his life, surely that is more disrespectful to his family?
I thought Margrethe looked so composed and then in that last hymn...broken hearted!

The order of service including the words of the hymns are on the Royal website:
Program for bisættelsen | Kongehuset
I've tried linking a translated version of the page but I can't get it to work but I'm sure someone else will be able to.
The Queen was definitely hiding her tears behind her order of service during that last hymn. Eventually it has to come out and I know from experience it can be the oddest thing that can set you off. She has been so strong in public all week.
Queen Margrethe has always been one of my favorite royals... From day one, when "silly" remarks about her smiling appeared here and there, I thought, this woman has been so very much loved by this man (who hadn't been the easiest man to "get" nor the easiest person to be with, but who was a real match for her), she feels a fulfilled person, she's had an interesting life beside him, a family with him...so, why not smile? And today, she let her tears go when she was saying "goodbye"... to her companion in life...not many people have the chance... royals or commoners, regardless.

Perhaps, you need to think about his (more close) Lutheran family.

The Lutheran minister could have avoided to speak about that more or less convinced " conversion".

The Queen did wear a veiled hat, but I wouldn’t call it a “widows veil”, since she wore the same hat for the funeral of both her parents.

The priest mentioned that religion wasn’t very important to Prince Henrik, so when he converted at his marriage it wasn’t a problem for him. He felt it was fitting for a Danish prince to be Lutheran. None of this is news to his family, so I don’t see how it’s disrespectful to them.

The priest mentioned, Henrik only attended church at special occasions and that was it. Actually, that might be one the most Danish things about Henrik. Religion isn’t a big deal to most Danes.

I find it very inappropriate and not very respectful towards his Catholic family.
It's not like it is something they didn't know- it has been a fact of his life for the past 50+ years. I'm sure they've had time to come to terms with it.

The Lutheran minister could have avoided to speak about that more or less convinced " conversion".

Personally, I find your critique inappropriate and ill-timed. Why do you feel compelled to question Prince Henrik's conversion (calling it a 'more or less convinced "conversion"') - at this very point in time? It's disrespectful in my view.

What happened today and what was said today in that church was no doubt in line with the spirit of Prince Henrik and both his and the queen's wishes.

Prince Henrik's family has had 50 years to get over his conversion. There are no signals that they were upset by it, either now or in the past.

Time to move on from this topic.

(..)
very very dignified ceremony.

Here's a video of the guests and members of the Royal Family arriving for the Funeral Service.

I know it is a small scale funeral, but the Dutchman in me missed flower arrangements outside, a guard of honour at the left and the right of the entrance, a (grey) carpet. I would also have removed that tilted traffic light in front of the Church. It all looks a bit, I don't know... but maybe that was the late Prince's wish. The service inside was beautiful.

I could not see the end because I had to go away.
I saw the arriving of Count Ingolf and his wife, Princess Elisabeth came from another door. But nobody from the late Count Christian Family ??

Before I saw the arrival of the de Montpezat family, they were all there , Françoise, Etienne , Jean Baptiste and their wifes , the Widow of Maurille and Soeur Cathérine de Montpezat. What a sorrow and what a dignity in a language they don't understand, a religion which is not hers. He is the second to pass away. The first was their young Sister Maurille and Prince Henrik came alone, nobody from denmark ??.
I don't know how close they are with the Royal Family but they impressed me so much .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom