Death and Funeral of Prince Henrik of Denmark: February 13 and 20, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I stand corrected: it was indeed Hannelore who said "I see Mary's wearing the diamond brooch she received from Henri in her early days as a princess. Appropriate." on 2/15

Here are more info from https://royalwatcherblog.com"

This diamond brooch, featuring six petals and interjacent diamonds surrounding a large central diamond. [sic] It belonged to Prince Henrik’s mother, Countess Renée-Yvonne de Laborde de Monpezat, who wore the brooch as a clasp of her pearl necklace at Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik’s 25th Wedding Anniversary Banquet in 1992. The brooch was inherited by Prince Henrik in 2001. In 2004, Prince Henrik gave the brooch to his new daughter-in-law, Crown Princess Mary, as a wedding present. Early appearances included the 2004 Olympics, and a memorial ceremony for the victims of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami. It was also worn to welcome the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall to Denmark in 2012.

Pictures here: https://royalwatcherblog.com/2018/02/16/crown-princess-marys-diamond-flower-brooch/

I posted a link to this page on the last page. And princess Larisa had some info right above me as well.

Yes, Muhler, I agree.

I don't want to speculate but I think QM's choice of being alone (in the car as well) is conscious and significant for the many reasons already mentioned. I would add that I'm sure she doesn't want to be pitied, appear weak or in need of support in public. She is the Queen and she is the Queen beyond the frailties and difficulties of personal life.

:daneflag2: ?

I thought the one day Prince Frederick got into the first car after the hearse with his mother and his family was in the 2nd car.

I thought the one day Prince Frederick got into the first car after the hearse with his mother and his family was in the 2nd car.

No, he was sitting in the car with Mary and the children. There were quite a few car window photos

Many thanks everyone for answering my brooch question and for all the photos, links etc.

To be fair, the Queen was not alone. There were always the chauffeur and an Aide-de-Camp with her. The last years Queen Margrethe has done so many events "alone". The title of Queen Wilhelmina's autobiography comes to mind: "Eenzaam, maar niet alleen" (Lonely, but not alone).

She’s also had a LiW with her most of the time but I do have to say the symbolism of that photo was very moving.

To be fair, the Queen was not alone. There were always the chauffeur and an Aide-de-Camp with her. The last years Queen Margrethe has done so many events "alone". The title of Queen Wilhelmina's autobiography comes to mind: "Eenzaam, maar niet alleen" (Lonely, but not alone).
True, after the cortege as the Queen got into her car the commentator made a point of saying that a Lady-in-Waiting always rides in the car with her. On the night in question I think I saw that it was Annette de Scheel.

She was certainly the same one who was with the Queen when she went out to look at the flowers at Fredensborg. I know at least one of her LiW is an old school friend but I don’t know the background of this lady. Does anyone?

Did some digging.
Else Annette de Scheel nee Maack-Petersen married into the Scheel family (previous the Scheele family), a noble Holstein family that goes back to the 1600's.
The Scheel family has fostered many officers and as such it's no surprise her husband, Christian Lennart de Scheel is a colonel.
They have two children.

She was originally educated a physio-therapist but was employed in the DRF administration and she was deeply involved in M&F's wedding in 2004.

Here is a photo of three of QMII's LiWs. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/01/05/14/2FD078F200000578-3385224-image-a-27_1452003456277.jpg
They are from left to right: Jytte Krag-Juel-Vind-Frijs, Annette de Scheel and Ane Vibeke Foss.
All three are nobles or married into noble families. The more last names the more noble.

Did some digging.
Else Annette de Scheel nee Maack-Petersen married into the Scheel family (previous the Scheele family), a noble Holstein family that goes back to the 1600's.
The Scheel family has fostered many officers and as such it's no surprise her husband, Christian Lennart de Scheel is a colonel.
They have two children.

She was originally educated a physio-therapist but was employed in the DRF administration and she was deeply involved in M&F's wedding in 2004.

Here is a photo of three of QMII's LiWs. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/01/05/14/2FD078F200000578-3385224-image-a-27_1452003456277.jpg
They are from left to right: Jytte Krag-Juel-Vind-Frijs, Annette de Scheel and Ane Vibeke Foss.
All three are nobles or married into noble families. The more last names the more noble.

Thank you, Muhler. Are they members of the untitled nobility (like a jonkvrouw in the Netherlands/Belgium), or do they have a title like baroness or countess ?

I am not familiar with the Danish nobility. Are members of the titled nobility usually referred to by their titles ? Are titles of nobility included in official documents like passports or ID cards ?

Thank you, Muhler. Are they members of the untitled nobility (like a jonkvrouw in the Netherlands/Belgium), or do they have a title like baroness or countess ?

I am not familiar with the Danish nobility. Are members of the titled nobility usually referred to by their titles ? Are titles of nobility included in official documents like passports or ID cards ?

This is more an area for people who are more into nobility than I am.

Being a noble in DK entails no privileges and no special legal rights. Nor is there any obligation to address you by title. I.e. no Sir Mbruno or Baron Mbruno. In the eyes of the state and municipality you are Mbruno, (social security number XXXXXX-XXXX) - and that's what it will say when you get a letter from the authorities.
The title is basically only used as a convenient reference or as a courtesy for special occasions. Like invitations or articles about you.
Except of course in connection with the DRF, where titles is a part of the show.

I don't know if you can have your noble title in your passport, I actually doubt since your title is irrelevant in regards to identifying you.
Nor is there any title on your drivers license.
As for an ID, that's optional depending on who is issuing them.

The DRF however is wonderfully archaic.
Annette de Scheel is by the court referred to as: Hofdame, oberstinde Annette de Scheel.
Hofdame = Lady-in-Waiting.
Oberstinde = coloness, married to a colonel. Had she been married to an untitled civilian, she would have been Fru = Mrs. Going back to a time where a married woman's status was defined by her husband. And that was still common in my childhood, so it's not that ancient. :whistling:
She appears to have decided to drop Else in this context.

- I'll be happy to stand corrected though.

Today QMII unexpectedly turned up for the Sunday service in Grønholt Church in Fredensborg municipality.

Dronningen dukkede uventet op til gudstjeneste - TV 2

The church is not unknown to the DRF and it is right around the corner from Fredensborg Palace.
It happens frequently that QMII suddenly show up for Sunday service in a small parish church.
In Grønholt Church the local priest was delighted for his guest.

QMII showing up in a local church the first Sunday after the death of PH, may be her little nod to the locals, who have supported her and her family so much.

You won't regret looking at this link ?:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/midt-i-sorgen-her-overrasker-dronning-margrethe-med-uventet-besoeg

It's about QMII attending service at Grønholt Church today - and another photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
May He Rest In Peace. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

You won't regret looking at this link ?:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/midt-i-sorgen-her-overrasker-dronning-margrethe-med-uventet-besoeg

It's about QMII attending service at Grønholt Church today - and another photo.

That bottom picture is one of my favourites of QMII and Prince Henrik in recent years. It was taken at Grasten in Summer 2014 when they were watching the band playing/changing of the guard. Here's a link to some more pictures:
https://www.gettyimages.de/search/events/503365513?sort=best&phrase=&family=editorial

As the committed christian that she is, I'm sure Queen Margrethe got comfort from her church visit today. I certainly pray and hope that she did.

I loved that picture too. It shows two people that are just happy being with each other. Over the past couple of days I've seen a lot of pictures that reflected this. There obviously was a very strong and loving bond between Margrethe and Henrik and one that nothing was going to break no matter how interesting Henrik made things at times. :D

One thing that has probably had a lot of comfort for the Queen is that there was a huge outpouring of caring and genuine affection from not only her close family but from all of the Danish people and being with them, such as the visit to the church, gave her such a strong support system as they all prayed together.

I'm sure Henrik's passing will leave a huge hole in Margrethe's life but with her family and friends and the Danish people surrounding her, I'm sure that she's going to have her times of grief and loneliness missing her beloved but she knows she'll never be alone and she knows that she is well loved.

My husband and I have been traveling and am just now back online and reading that Henrik has passed away. So very sorry to learn of this! A husband, father, grandfather now gone. RIP Henrik.

Beautifully put, Osipi.

Let's have a little smile: https://app.box.com/s/w9r787pamgsw6y2ciz15ucf9ne2t6nfp
When your grandpapa do have a big belly, why not have some fun? :lol:

Notice PH's casual outfit. A lot of otherwise pretty boring younger royals could learn a lot from him!

Its always good to have a smile even at a sad time :flowers:

Say what you may of Henrik, he clearly had a close bond with his grandchildren. I love the photos with Isabella and him, but you see it with the others as well.

She is Never Alone!!!

Yes, Muhler, I agree.

I don't want to speculate but I think QM's choice of being alone (in the car as well) is conscious and significant for the many reasons already mentioned. I would add that I'm sure she doesn't want to be pitied, appear weak or in need of support in public. She is the Queen and she is the Queen beyond the frailties and difficulties of personal life.

:daneflag2: ?

I believe Muhler said that it was a gift from PH!

It is a sad picture and a good media headliner. but Lets Remember, She is Never Alone. A part from her Royal Family members, This Picture is not showing the 5000.000 plus People in Danmark and Many more Millions who know her Good Name, who were, are, will be with her , shoulder to shoulder, always, anytime, anywhere, no matter what, She is in our prayers, mind and hearts.:daneflag2: ?

Update in the funeral ceremony tomorrow.
https://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/...-60-er-indbudt-til-prins-henriks-bisaettelse/

Around 60 are invited for the ceremony.
They are the DRF as well as members of PH's French family.
Various representatives for the official Denmark, like the PM and the Chairman of the Parliament.
And also representatives from the court.

The ceremony will take place at 11.00 tomorrow Tuesday.
The guests will arrive from 10.30. The DRF will arrive around 10.45.

At least the arrival is bound to be shown live. It is not yet clear whether there will be TV from inside the church during the ceremony.

On top of that there are plans to have windmills in DK to honor PH.
It's a custom going back a couple of hundred years, where you lock the wings in the windmill in a position resembling a cross.
That will include old as well as modern mills.
Including the national symbol, Dybbøl Mølle (mill).
Located on the battlefield of Dybbøl, that mill has been a strong national symbol since the disastrous Second Schleswigan War of 1864.

Dybbøl Mølle: https://bdk.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/resolve/image_1500x/image/23/239479/12525893-x.jpg
And in 1864: https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7300/11191235914_a5df0c443d_b.jpg

-------------------

ADDED. More details about tomorrow.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/klar-laest...sadan-kommer-prins-henriks-bisaettelse-til-at

Bells will toll before and after the funeral ceremony.
The ceremony is expected to last 45 minutes.
There will be journalists present inside the church. Whether there will TV is not clear to me.
When the ceremony is over, PH's casket will be driven away in a hearse, followed by two cars. - Presumably to the crematorium, so I doubt any relatives will be in these cars.
The undertaker driving the hearse is the same who usually transport fallen soldiers who have returned to Denmark. (To Copenhagen that is).
That seems to be a nod to PH, who served for three years in the Algerian War. 1959.1962. (He was in the military intelligence. Mainly stationed in the city of Algiers I understand.)

----------------------

When the many flowers the Danes have laid at the palaces will be removed Wednesday they will not be discarded, but instead laid at the monument for fallen soldiers at Kastellet in Copenhagen.

Last edited:
[...]

Around 60 are invited for the ceremony. [...]

That is extremely private, with the direct family this means less than 40 "strangers" will attend the funeral. Assuming this is the iron list and assuming all wil make it to attend:

1 The Queen
2 The Crown Prince
3 Crown Princess Mary
4 Prince Christian
5 Princess Isabella
6 Prince Vincent
7 Princess Joséphine
8 Prince Joachim
9 Princess Marie
10 Prince Nikolai
11 Prince Félix
12 Prince Henrik
13 Princess Athéna
14 Princess Benedikte
15 Queen Anne-Marie
16 King Constantine
17 Veuve Claude Bardin, née Françoise de Laborde de Monpezat
18 M Étienne de Laborde de Monpezat
19 M Jean-Baptiste de Laborde de Monpezat
20 Soeur Cathérine (née De Laborde de Monpezat)
21 Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg

Last edited:
I had a look at the guests for the remembrance ceremony today.
They included a number of journalists with whom he developed a friendship - or simply had a good relationship with.
The retired royal reporter from BT, Bodil Cath, who among other things interviewed PH when he in 2002 or so went to France after feeling snubbed at the New Year Court. In that interview he explained his point of view.

Now more or less retired reporter from Billed Bladet, Annelise Weimann, who covered in particular the Regent Couple for many, many years.

Stephanie Surrugue, who wrote a most interesting and nuanced biography about PH.

Trine Larsen, from BB, who undoubtedly developed a personal friendship with PH.

And the editor-in-chief of BB, Annemette Krakau. The magazine has for many years invariably covered the DRF (and other royals) in a positive angle.

--------------

This forenoon PH's brother, Etienne de Monpezat, and his sister, Catherine de Montpezat, paid their respect at Christiansborg:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/se-billederne-prins-henriks-familie-sagde-farvel

------------------

PH was member of a exclusive club of friends called The Second Rank. - It consisted of well-known men, whose wives were much more famous and popular than themselves, hence the name...

--------------------------

Saturday and Sunday some 13.000 have passed PH's casket at Christiansborg.

--------------------

The court has not wished to disclose any plans for burying the urn and the scattering of his ashes.

Last edited:
22 Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece
23 Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece
24 Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark
25 Carlos Morales
26 Prince Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark
27 Princess Tatjana of Greece and Denmark
28 Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark
29 Prince Philippos of Greece and Denmark
30 Prince Gustav of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
31 Carina Axelson
32 Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg