Audiences with Margrethe & the Political Role of the Danish Monarch: 2004 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are welcome. :)
It is difficult to boil such a complex subject down to a few lines.

I hope so.
But she is getting more frail. I wouldn't be surprised if we will see her with a walking stick/cane before the end of this year.
I also fear the visit to Greenland this year (and the Faroe Islands, had it not been postponed) will be her last big official visit. Outside the paved streets of the capital of Nuuk, the terrain must be hard on her knees and back.
The state visit to China was hard on her and seeing QMII leaning over a bannister at the Swedish wedding, that is not like her at all!
Fortunately her mind is still sharp.

I believe it was you who told us once in one of these forums that Queen Margrethe II would never abdicate. Do you think she might consider abdication now that she is getting frail ?

On another note, I'm surprised to see how involved the monarchs in Belgium, Denmark and Norway are with the process of government formation. In part that has to do with the fact that all those countries use proportional representation to elect their respective parliaments, but so do the Netherlands and Sweden and the Swedish and Dutch monarchs have been both removed from negotiations to form a government (in Sweden since 1975 and in the Netherlands since 2012).

I believe it was you who told us once in one of these forums that Queen Margrethe II would never abdicate. Do you think she might consider abdication now that she is getting frail ?

On another note, I'm surprised to see how involved the monarchs in Belgium, Denmark and Norway are with the process of government formation. In part that has to do with the fact that all those countries use proportional representation to elect their respective parliaments, but so do the Netherlands and Sweden and the Swedish and Dutch monarchs have been both removed from negotiations to form a government (in Sweden since 1975 and in the Netherlands since 2012).

I refer to the above post. :previous:
Sorry, I've seen too much politics in the last few days. :p
If she knows that she will gradually lose the ability to fulfill her duties, but still be expected to be alive (she can after all expect the best possible medical care) I think she would seriously consider abdicating rather than letting Frederik become Regent for a figure who will rarely be seen.
But apart from that she will remain on her post til she drops.
She has said so many times and as the devout Christian she is, I believe she feels it's up to God, not her, to decide when to bow out.

I think that very much depended on the political climate of these countries but just as much who the Monarch is.
Personally I think it's healthy for the head of state to have constitutional role. Both because it provides an additional purpose for in this case the monarchy but also because it's healthy for the politicians to know there is someone above them, someone they have to answer to, even if symbolically.
And in the case of DK it's good to have someone who in theory has a veto on the legislation.

Last edited:
Thank you, Muhler, for your explanations of the Danish political process. I am so intrigued by the fact that the campaign only lasted three weeks. Here in the US, we are being subjected to a campaign that has started 18 months before the actual election - and many. many candidates! I really think that the US should look at other countries, and learn from their examples. No system is perfect, but ours seems to get more convoluted all the time.

Thanks Muhler for the updates. :flowers: I wonder if Helle Thorning-Schmidt will move to Wales now that she's no longer Prime Minister, since her husband (Stephen Kinnock) is a Welsh MP.

I don't follow foreign politics that much so forgive me if this is an obvious question, but was Helle the first female Prime Minister in Denmark?

My pleasure, MidwestMom :)

Of course there were several months prior to this where the political parties went into semi-election mode. It was like a kettle almost boiling. (In this case because time was running out for the PM to call an election as that must happen within four years after taking office.)

So when the lid goes off it's three weeks of 24/7 campaigning.

But the only one who decides when the time is right to call a general election is the PM. And the PM will always prefer to call an election when the situation is most favorable for a reelection.
So there is actually nothing to hinder the next PM from calling a general election the day after taking office, just because he feels like it and without consulting anyone. It would be political suicide but he could do it.

Thank you, Muhler, for your explanations of the Danish political process. I am so intrigued by the fact that the campaign only lasted three weeks. Here in the US, we are being subjected to a campaign that has started 18 months before the actual election - and many. many candidates! I really think that the US should look at other countries, and learn from their examples. No system is perfect, but ours seems to get more convoluted all the time.

The difference is that, in Denmark, as in all Western constitutional monarchies (including the US neighbor Canada), the chief executive officer of the country is not directly elected by the people. Instead, the people elect a parliament (i.e. the legislature) and the political party or coalition of parties that has a majority in the parliament forms the executive government led by a prime minister. The separation between the executive and legislative branches is not as clear cut then as in the US system and, if the parliament passes a motion of no confidence in the executive government , a new snap election normally has to be called.

In countries like Britain or Canada, members of parliament are locally elected in single-member districts by simple majority, which is called in Britain the "first past the post" system and is basically the same system used to elect members of the US House of Representatives. Under that system, one single party, e.g. Labour or the Conservatives in the UK, is normally able to gain an overall majority of seats in parliament by itself and form a stable government alone. The leader of the majority party becomes the prime minister and the Queen or, in the case of Canada, the Governor General as the Queen's representative don't really get involved in the government formation process, although they still formally appoint the government .

By contrast, in countries like Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, or the Netherlands, they use a different system called "proportional representation" where , in rough terms, all parties that get a percentage of votes above a certain threshold are allocated a percentage of parliamentary seats roughly equal to their percentage of the national popular vote. As a result, there are normally several parties with parliamentary representation and none of them has a majority of seats alone. In order to form a government, they have to get together and agree on a coalition. That is where the monarch comes in as he/she may in some countries be responsible for appointing politicians to coordinate the process of coalition building.

In Sweden though and now also in the Netherlands , that role has been transferred from the monarch to the Speaker of the parliament and the king only appears in the process at its very end. In the Netherlands, the king still formally appoints the government (with the countersignature of the prime minister) and swears in the ministers. In fact, the King of the Netherlands is still technically part of the government himself. In Sweden, the king as constititutional Head of State is completely separated from the government. The letters of appointment of the government ministers are actually signed by the Speaker of the Swedish parliament, but the king still chairs the special Council of State in which the ministers are sworn in.

In countries where coaltions are usual, the leader of the largest party in the coalition (in terms of number of seats) normally becomes the prime minister although that is not necessarily always the case. For example, the current Belgian PM is an exception !

Last edited:
My pleasure, MidwestMom :)

Of course there were several months prior to this where the political parties went into semi-election mode. It was like a kettle almost boiling. (In this case because time was running out for the PM to call an election as that must happen within four years after taking office.)

So when the lid goes off it's three weeks of 24/7 campaigning.

But the only one who decides when the time is right to call a general election is the PM. And the PM will always prefer to call an election when the situation is most favorable for a reelection.
So there is actually nothing to hinder the next PM from calling a general election the day after taking office, just because he feels like it and without consulting anyone. It would be political suicide but he could do it.

That is no longer possible in the UK though. Under new rules passed in 2011, an early election can be called now in the UK only if:

1. Two-thirds of the members of the House of Commons pass a resolution calling for an election, or
  2. The House of Commons passes a motion of no confidence in the government and fails to pass another motion of confidence in the (same or another) government within 14 days.

Since the dissolution of parliament used to be formally a royal prerogative (although triggered by the prime minister), the new rules mean that the British monarch has now been effectively stripped of his/her power to dissolve parliament at will.

Of course, when the maximum term of a parliament expires, general elections are automatically called. In the UK, that happens every 5 years , but I believe in most other monarchies,e.g. the Netherlands, Sweden or Denmark, it must happen at least every 4 years.

Last edited:
By contrast, in countries like Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, or the Netherlands, they use a different system called "proportional representation" where , in rough terms, all parties that get a percentage of votes above a certain threshold are allocated a percentage of parliamentary seats roughly equal to their percentage of the national popular vote.

In Sweden though and now also in the Netherlands , that role has been transferred from the monarch to the Speaker of the parliament
In countries where coaltions are usual, the leader of the largest party in the coalition (in terms of number of seats) normally becomes the prime minister although that is not necessarily always the case. For example, the current Belgian PM is an exception !

Excellent posts. :flowers:

In DK roughly 1 % of the votes translates into 2 mandates of the 179 available.
It takes at least 20.000 votes to gain a mandate. Despite that it has happened that an independent candidate without a party has been elected.
In DK the speaker or the chairman of the Parliament is elected among the MP's and as such that person is not 100 % politically neutral as the Monarch, who does not excersize her right to vote and never has.

Let's go through what actually did happen Friday, the day after the general election.

At 11.00 the OM, Helle Thorning went to see QMII, informing her that the government no longer has a majority in the Parliament and as such she requested QMII to accept the governments resignation.
QMII accepted and the government continues until relieved as a business ministry.
The PM also advised QMII to call a Queen Round as there is no ready formed coalition taking over as government.
QMII followed that advise and called in the leaders of the parties who now have a seat in the Parliament from 13.00. Nine parties in total.
It is now known that Frederik was present at the Queen Round, but whether he was present at the meeting with the PM is not clear to me.

At 13.00 the various party leaders started arriving at Amalienborg. The order was according to size. I.e. the party with the highest number of mandates first. That so happened to be the Social Democrats, which the PM belongs to. But as she also resigned as party chairman, it was the second chairman who went to the Queen.
It's actually a very short meeting lasting some five minutes. Here the party leader names verbally and in writing who they feel is most suited for leading the negotiations forming a new government.
The losing left wing parties (with the exception of one) all pointed to Helle Thorning, knowing perfectly well that advise will not be followed.
All the other parties pointed to Lars Løkke, the leader of the Liberals.

Then Frederik left.

QMII called for Lars Løkke and entrusted him with the task of being a Royal Investigator with the aim to see if a majority government can be formed. I.e. a government that is sure to muster 90 or more mandates.
Because the only left wing party pointing at Lars Løkke, requested he should try forming a majority government. (Preferably including them!)

- That is unlikely to happen. The vast majority of governments for many decades here in DK have been minority governments. Who in some issues have had to negotiate deals with the opposition, because their supporting parties were against it.
So at some point Lars Løkke will request an audience with Her Majesty, informing her that he is unable to see how a majority government can be formed.
Then there will be a new Queen Round, where no doubt a Royal Investigator will be tasked with exploring the possibilities for a minority government. That Royal Investigator will no doubt also be Lars Løkke. And then we can expect a new government to be in place shortly after.

So sometime next week I predict we will see the new government posing for the press outside Amalienborg.

Last edited:
It is now known that Frederik was present at the Queen Round, but whether he was present at the meeting with the PM is not clear to me.

CP Frederik was, according to EB, present at the meeting with the PM.

Which left wing party pointed at LLR? Sorry, I haven´t been able to follow the news - we had summer party at job yesterday :)

Which left wing party pointed at LLR? Sorry, I haven´t been able to follow the news - we had summer party at job yesterday :)

None of them (good grief, that would be atrocious). All five left-wing parties (ABFØÅ) pointed at HTS. It was LA and Anders Samuelsen who insisted that LLR try to form a majority government (good luck :whistling:) but I'd hardly (i.e. never in my life) call them left-wing :)eek:).

The Radicals too asked for "the widest possible coalition" albeit with Helle Thorning as Royal Investigator. (The Radicals, in their typical style, no doubt exploring the possibilities for entering the government coalition. They have always been turncoats! And why not? Their economic politics is to the right of the Liberals)!
However as two parties have asked for exploring the possibilities for forming a majority government, QMII has appointed Lars Løkke with that task.

None of them (good grief, that would be atrocious). All five left-wing parties (ABFØÅ) pointed at HTS. It was LA and Anders Samuelsen who insisted that LLR try to form a majority government (good luck :whistling:) but I'd hardly (i.e. never in my life) call them left-wing :)eek:).

But Muhler wrote this:
The losing left wing parties (with the exception of one) all pointed to Helle Thorning, knowing perfectly well that advise will not be followed.
All the other parties pointed to Lars Løkke, the leader of the Liberals.
So now I´m confused...:ermm:

Has Mrs Helle THorning to present her Demission to Her Majesty.

Lucky he has her selfie with Obama and Cameron !!

But Muhler wrote this:
So now I´m confused...:ermm:

That's my fault. :sad:

The Radicals advised QMII to appoint a Royal Investigator with the task of finding a majority government, with Helle Thorning as the Royal Investigator.
To the press down at the Square they said that a widest possible coalition would be preferable.

They know perfectly well that Helle Thorning is unable to find enough mandates for a majority government with her as PM.
But " a widest possible coalition" means across the bipartisan divide. I.e if the terms are right, they are ready to join a government with the liberal Lars Løkke as PM.
They are doing what the Radicals have always done, switching sides when it suits them.
- The option is actually not that far out! I can imagine a Liberal, Conservative, Radical minority government. Perhaps also including Liberal Alliance. But they would not have a majority and as such have to secure a majority either by courting the Social Democrats and Danish People's Party, depending on the issue.
It may not be the most likely option, but far from impossible.

- BTW rumors are that Lars Løkke is giving up finding a majority government and that a new Queen Round is close. This time he will no doubt be tasked with exploring the options for a minority government.

Yeah, hurrah... :whistling:

Yes, she has handed in her resignation to QMII.

It is now confirmed: Løkke opgiver borgerlig flertalsregering: Det kan ikke lade sig gøre - Politik | www.bt.dk

The Royal Investigator has given up forming a majority government.

He will report back to QMII Monday forenoon. Then presumably a new Queen Round will be called.

- This time no doubt with the purpose of forming a minority government.
It will be interesting who DK will send to the EU summit on Greece Monday. Presumably someone from the current business ministry, but with a very limited mandate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Radicals advised QMII to appoint a Royal Investigator with the task of finding a majority government, with Helle Thorning as the Royal Investigator.
To the press down at the Square they said that a widest possible coalition would be preferable.

They know perfectly well that Helle Thorning is unable to find enough mandates for a majority government with her as PM.
But " a widest possible coalition" means across the bipartisan divide. I.e if the terms are right, they are ready to join a government with the liberal Lars Løkke as PM.
They are doing what the Radicals have always done, switching sides when it suits them.
- The option is actually not that far out! I can imagine a Liberal, Conservative, Radical minority government. Perhaps also including Liberal Alliance. But they would not have a majority and as such have to secure a majority either by courting the Social Democrats and Danish People's Party, depending on the issue.
It may not be the most likely option, but far from impossible.

This is incorrect. If Radikale in any way intended to back Løkke or to join his government, they wouldn't have pointed at HTS but at him. Furthermore, they would never comply with being in a majority government with Konservative, Liberal Alliance and DF. Venstre, sure, in theory that could (and has) happen, and while I agree with you that Radikale do what benefits themselves only, they would not agree to being in a government with the others – especially not with some they disagree as fundamentally with as DF.

Radikale (and Socialdemokraterne), however, advised that Løkke, in a minority government, would be open to work with them (bredt over midten translates really poorly to English) and not solely lead bloc politics as they did prior to 2011.

Lucky she brought Denmark financial stability, more like.

Last edited:
It is now confirmed: Løkke opgiver borgerlig flertalsregering: Det kan ikke lade sig gøre - Politik | www.bt.dk

The Royal Investigator has given up forming a majority government.

He will report back to QMII Monday forenoon. Then presumably a new Queen Round will be called.

- This time no doubt with the purpose of forming a minority government.
It will be interesting who DK will send to the EU summit on Greece Monday. Presumably someone from the current business ministry, but with a very limited mandate.

Not that it surprises me.

Then Margrethe and Frederik must jump in the neat clothes again tomorrow. Fortunately for Frederik he is already in Copenhagen, Margrethe must book the helicopter again :p

Thank you for the explanation, Muhler :)

This is incorrect. If Radikale in any way intended to back Løkke or to join his government, they wouldn't have pointed at HTS but at him. Furthermore, they would never comply with being in a majority government with Konservative, Liberal Alliance and DF. Venstre, sure, in theory that could (and has) happen, and while I agree with you that Radikale do what benefits themselves only, they would not agree to being in a government with the others – especially not with some they disagree as fundamentally with as DF.

Radikale (and Socialdemokraterne), however, advised that Løkke, in a minority government, would be open to work with them (bredt over midten translates really poorly to English) and not solely lead bloc politics as they did prior to 2011.

Lucky she brought Denmark financial stability, more like.

The Radicals can hardly do otherwise as there is a theoretic possibility for the current business ministry government to continue. I think what the Radicals dream about is a Social democrat, Liberal, Radical coalition, perhaps including the Conservatives.

Yes. The finances are improving, but at a cost!
A former co-worker of mine tried to commit suicide, twice, due to the former governments instance on following Radical economic politics to the letter.
That's what happens when you are 56, unskilled and can't get a job and your financial basis is removed from under your feet. Despite having worked all your life - and voting Social Democrat.

I'm liberal but I'm not inhuman.

Last edited:
Good thing neither of them had anything planned for tomorrow. The court has probably foreseen that when a majority government was suggested, it wouldn't take long for LLR to come back for another visit to QMII with the intent on forming a minority government instead.

The Radicals can hardly do otherwise as there is a theoretic possibility for the current business ministry government to continue. I think what the Radicals dream about is a Social democrat, Liberal, Radical coalition, perhaps including the Conservatives.

Yes. The finances are improving, but at a cost!
A former co-worker of mine tried to commit suicide, twice, due to the former governments instance on following Radical economic politics to the letter.
That's what happens when you are 56, unskilled and can't get a job and your financial basis is removed from under your feet. Despite having worked all your life - and voting Social Democrat.

I'm liberal but I'm not inhuman.

Their ideal form of government would definitely be a centre, SBV-ish type of government. But fundamentally, they agree with the left-wing parties more – largely due to their green ideologies – and would never favour a coalition that would include far-right parties such as LA and DF.

And it would have been much worse during a liberal government. I don't always agree with my party's politics (on a social democratic scale, there's HTS and there's MF and despite my personal fondness for HTS, I'm definitely leaning more towards MF politically) and I do think the SR-government's financial politics have been too social liberal, but we've been through a crisis and getting through a financial crisis is brutal. But alas, this is not the place to discuss politics (and I don't believe I've ever called you inhuman, Muhler?) ;)

Good thing neither of them had anything planned for tomorrow. The court has probably foreseen that when a majority government was suggested, it wouldn't take long for LLR to come back for another visit to QMII with the intent on forming a minority government instead.

Their ideal form of government would definitely be a centre, SBV-ish type of government. But fundamentally, they agree with the left-wing parties more – largely due to their green ideologies – and would never favour a coalition that would include far-right parties such as LA and DF.

And it would have been much worse during a liberal government. I don't always agree with my party's politics (on a social democratic scale, there's HTS and there's MF and despite my personal fondness for HTS, I'm definitely leaning more towards MF politically) and I do think the SR-government's financial politics have been too social liberal, but we've been through a crisis and getting through a financial crisis is brutal. But alas, this is not the place to discuss politics (and I don't believe I've ever called you inhuman, Muhler?) ;)

You never have. :)

I was referring to a phrase during the campaign: You can be a liberal and still be a good human being.
The stubborn Radical policy on the other hand has IMO been downright inhuman or worse, indifferent.

My political stance can be described depending on the issue: Social Democrat, Liberal, Danish People's Party.
What I am not and never will be is Unity List, Radical and Liberal Alliance.
And BTW I voted Liberal and for the first time in many years I was in doubt as I do not find our next PM... well suited for the job.
Had he, Lars Løkke, left as chairman last year, the Liberals would have had a great election. - He didn't and well, how else should he pay for his shoes and underwear? :whistling:

You never have. :)

I was referring to a phrase during the campaign: You can be a liberal and still be a good human being.
The stubborn Radical policy on the other hand has IMO been downright inhuman or worse, indifferent.

My political stance can be described depending on the issue: Social Democrat, Liberal, Danish People's Party.
What I am not and never will be is Unity List, Radical and Liberal Alliance.
And BTW I voted Liberal and for the first time in many years I was in doubt as I do not find our next PM... well suited for the job.
Had he, Lars Løkke, left as chairman last year, the Liberals would have had a great election. - He didn't and well, how else should he pay for his shoes and underwear? :whistling:

I'm one of those people who don't really see much of a difference between Radikale and Venstre on a financial level. Vestager (and Corydon :eek:) seemed to have a ball around LLR. I don't know that I'd call either inhumane or bad human beings – rather completely out of touch with the everyday life of the most vulnerable people in society.

It really is a shame that Kristian Jensen didn't get to succeed LLR, isn't it? Even I, a staunch Social Democrat, think he's endlessly more suiting for the job than LLR. Though I wouldn't worry about LLR's shoes and undergarments once he eventually let go of the tight grip he's got on Venstre – he's got the life-long ministerial pension to take from :p

:previous: Ha. If Lars Løkke can't make ends meet with his present salary, how will he manage when he is eventually outed?
Christian Jensen simply isn't brutal enough to face someone like Lars Løkke.
Søren Gade is a man I personally like. He is an honest and sincere man, but he isn't competent enough to take over the Liberals.

I do not agree with you on Radical and Liberal economic policy. The Liberals at least are aware of the problems small businesses have, they are also aware of the problems farmers have. Something that is completely outside the world view of the Radicals.

However, I'm not displeased to see Mette Frederiksen take over as head of the Social Democrats. She may be a bit too much and a bit too left for my taste, but at least I don't doubt her being a genuine Social Democrat.
Helle Thorning I presume will return home to EU.
Wonder how long it will take before Bjarne Corydon gets the knife? Especially if the files in regards to the Goldman-Sachs sale are not to his advantage.

Well, enough of that. There will probably be a new government next week and then we'll see.

Just watches the morning TV news:

CP Frederik and Lars Løkke is right know seen arriving at Christian 7's Palace ready for another Queen Round.

ADDED:
Perhaps the royal court has heard us? :D

Frederik is now (which should be obvious) added to the calendar as he too attends all these meetings at Amalienborg together with the Margrethe:

"HM The Queen receives the political parties representatives in Christian IX's Palace at Amalienborg pm. 11:00.
HRH The Crown Prince will be present."

H.M. Dronningen modtager de politiske partiers repræsentanter i Christian IX's Palæ på Amalienborg fra kl. 11.00 - Kongehuset

Last edited:
:previous:finally the DRF adds him

more info
Lars Løkke Rasmussen udpeget som forhandlingsleder - Kongehuset

"Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness the Crown Prince has today 22 June 2015 from pm. 11:00 Amalienborg received representatives of the political parties represented in the new parliament.

Representatives of the Danish People's Party, Liberal Party and Liberal Alliance, who together hold 84 seats, has advised that it transferred Liberal leader Lars Løkke Rasmussen to lead the negotiations on the formation of a government; The Conservative Party, which has six seats, have pointed to Lars Løkke Rasmussen as head of a government that works broadly.

Representatives of the Socialist Unity, alternative, Social Liberals and the Socialist People's Party, who together hold 85 seats, has advised that it be left Mette Frederiksen to lead the negotiations on forming a new government.

Her Majesty the Queen has now received the Acting Prime Minister, in light of the fallen opinions, concludes that the parties representing a majority in Parliament, has recommended that Liberal leader Lars Løkke Rasmussen appointed to lead the negotiations on the formation of A new government Lars Løkke Rasmussen's leadership. The Acting Prime Minister with reference to it advised the Queen to confer Liberal leader to lead such negotiations.

Accordingly, the Queen has asked the Liberal leader, Lars Løkke Rasmussen to lead the negotiations on the formation of a new government."

:flowers:

A funny little video (I apologise in advance if it's been posted already, I'm too lazy to check): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrn7ZFA4UqU

The description reads: "The election is over, but interrupting each other isn't over just yet. However, today it wasn't a political opponent but Queen Margrethe and Crown Prince Frederik who interrupted Søren Pape Poulsen (leader of the Conservatives) when he was interviewed in front of Amalienborg. Thankfully, he's from a party that supports God, King and Fatherland so it didn't seem to upset him."

:previous: Ha. If Lars Løkke can't make ends meet with his present salary, how will he manage when he is eventually outed?
Christian Jensen simply isn't brutal enough to face someone like Lars Løkke.
Søren Gade is a man I personally like. He is an honest and sincere man, but he isn't competent enough to take over the Liberals.

I do not agree with you on Radical and Liberal economic policy. The Liberals at least are aware of the problems small businesses have, they are also aware of the problems farmers have. Something that is completely outside the world view of the Radicals.

However, I'm not displeased to see Mette Frederiksen take over as head of the Social Democrats. She may be a bit too much and a bit too left for my taste, but at least I don't doubt her being a genuine Social Democrat.
Helle Thorning I presume will return home to EU.
Wonder how long it will take before Bjarne Corydon gets the knife? Especially if the files in regards to the Goldman-Sachs sale are not to his advantage.

Well, enough of that. There will probably be a new government next week and then we'll see.

Very true, very true :D Søren Gade is great as well. It seemed so odd to me that Løkke asked him to come back before the election – opposite a politician like Gade, you can really see what Løkke lacks in statesmanship.

I suppose in that regard, I can see what you're saying. From a incarnated left-winger's point of view though, it still sort of blends together. I think both parties lack a key understanding of life for the least fortunate members of society.

I've never personally doubted HTS's Social Democratic roots (but I'm also endlessly biased knowing her and having just campaigned for her for the last couple of weeks), but I can see why some would and indeed, MF is much more of a standard Social Democrat. As for Corydon, I think it's a matter of time. The fact that he was brought in only by virtue of being HTS's Chief of Staff did not make him a popular figure amongst Social Democrats.

Anyway, this is heavy sidetracking, I'll shut up now :lol:

Aaaaaand it's official: Venstre (the Liberal Party) is forming a one-party minority government (that's gonna be, eh, interesting – one-party governments usually don't last for more than two years time :p). They're going to work out the formation of the government tomorrow and the new ministers are presumed to be presented and sworn in on Sunday or Monday.

Last edited:
:previous: You bet. We are in for an interesting period!

This forenoon QMII will fly in to meet with the Royal Investigator, to inform her that he has only found the basis for forming a one-party government. I.e. consisting of his own party, the Liberals.
He will almost certainly present the government to QMII, for her approval, Sunday and then take over.

This is most interesting! This will either work well (but not necessarily for the Liberals) or not work at all.
But Lars Løkke had to form a government with his party, or he would have been political history within a few months. After all his party lost the election, when they should have had a very good election and very much because of him personally.

The problem with forming a right wing coalition is mainly that the Danish People's Party (who are really right wing, nationalist social democrats) and Liberal Alliance (who are to the right of Margaret Thatcher) can hardly agree on anything at all!
That means a Liberal, Danish People's Party, Liberal Alliance coalition is virtually impossible. But if Lars Løkke forms a coalition with Liberal Alliance and perhaps the Conservative, they can't do much anyway without the support of the Danish People's Party.
But if Lars Løkke forms a coalition with the Danish People's Party, Liberal Alliance threatened to be as annoying as possible, forcing the coalition to deal with the opposition - at a cost! Especially to the Liberals.
An impossible situation.

Personally I believe, Anders Samuelsen, the leader of Liberal Alliance blew it. He huffed and puffed too much and now his party risk being de facto sidelined. Because after all there are only some 60 mandates out of 179 in favor of Liberal Alliance demand of lowering the taxes at the top, rather than at the bottom of the income scale.

However, a one party government has to do an extreme amount of political maneuvering, but it also means political freedom. Lars Løkke is now in a position where he can deal with anyone also with the parties in the opposition who agrees with his policy in some aspects.
But so can the largest right wing party, the Danish People's Party! Because they too to a large extent are in agreement with the opposition, especially when it comes to welfare politics.
So Lars Løkke is gambling big time! Because the government risk being usurped if the Danish People's Party, the Social Democrats and Socialist People's Party not to mention the Unity List create a working relationship.
If that is so, the de facto PM will be the leader of the Danish People's Party, Thulesen Dahl. I.e. we will have two political coalitions working side by side.

I predict that within two years we will have either a new general election or the Danish People's Party will join the Liberals in a reformed government (after they have gotten their pound of flesh! And trained their new MP's). It is very difficult to imagine that such a weak one-party government can last for four years.

Who said politics is boring? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom