Spanish State Visit to Morocco: January 17-19, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humera

Moderator Emeritus
Country
Canada
I read that King Juan Carlos is going to Morocco on January 17. Does anyone know if the Queen is accompanying him?

Upcoming visit from Spain

MARRAKECH, MOROCCO: A worker puts up a poster featuring Moroccan King Mohammed VI in Marrakech, 16 January 2005. King Juan Carlos of Spain invited by Moroccan sovereign, Mohammed VI will visit Morocco from 17 to 19 of January.

(does anyone know if Queen Sophia and Princess Salma will be present or is it 'men' only ;) )

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 410
Spanish newspaper say that Queen Sophia travel with King Juan Carlos to Morroco.

SM maintenance King Mohammed VI with the Spanish daily newspaper El Pais (16/1/2005)

SM King Mohammed VI granted to a maintenance to the Spanish daily newspaper "El Pais" with the day before of the visit of State in Morocco of Their Majesties King Juan Carlos 1st and the Sofia Queen. During this maintenance, SM the King tackled several questions in particular related to the maroco-Spanish relations, with the reforms undertaken in Morocco in various fields, with the evolution of the question of the Sahara, the relations with Algeria and the problem of the illegal emigration.

"My contact with the King of Spain was never stopped"
SM King Mohammed VI affirmed that the contact with King Juan Carlos 1st of Spain, was never stopped even when the relationship between the two countries was not with beautiful fixed.
"My contact with the King of Spain was never stopped, not only to speak about serious questions but also to speak about more pleasant topics. With each time the need was felt, I never hesitated to take the telephone and to call it even in the moments of crisis ", underlined the Sovereign in a maintenance granted to the Spanish daily newspaper" El Pais "with the day before of the visit of State in Morocco of Their Majesties King Juan Carlos 1st and the Sofia Queen.

The Sovereign also put forward the climate of confidence which currently marks the maroco-Spanish relations.
"the Zapatero Prime Minister and his government make confidence with serious of Morocco as an interlocutor, partner and a neighbor. At present, the mutual respect was restored between us ", told to SM the King.
The Sovereign moreover was delighted owing to the fact that "certain Spanish companies are projecting an excellent image of Morocco. They invest in Morocco which is used to them as platform to enter the American market ".

Mentioning the question of the illegal emigration, SM the King stressed that there always was on behalf of Morocco a will to face this problem.
"the various Spanish governments always asked Morocco to grant to this question the interest which it requires. We always did it ", said the Sovereign, specifying that Morocco tries to act with the maximum of effectiveness.
SM the King underlined the efforts made by the two parts to dam up this plague, specifying that maroco-Spanish collaboration in this field gave place to sufficiently encouraging results.

The objective of the public auditions is "to reconcile Morocco with its past"
SM King Mohammed VI affirmed that the objective of the public auditions of the victims of the last violations of the humans right, which started in December, is "to reconcile Morocco with its past".

In a maintenance with the Spanish newspaper "El Pais" with the day before of the visit of State of Their Majesties King Juan Carlos 1st and the Sofia Queen, SM the King was said "convinced that the objectives of the Authority Equity and Reconciliation (IER) are shared by the Morrocans and will be used to prepare the future of our children" and that the initiatives of this authority "are intended to consolidate monarchy and the democracy in our country, and definitively to devote the attachment of Morocco to the universal principles of the humans right".

The Sovereign pointed out that "it is not a question, as some claim it, of an initiative which will divide Morocco into two. There are neither judges, nor judged people. We are not in front of a court. It is a question for us of examining, without any complex nor shame, this page of our history. It is from there, that we will be able to advance under better conditions ", underlined the Sovereign.

In this connection, SM the King considers that it is time to say to those which "have nothing to do with the true militancy" which "made humans right their goodwill" and which "want to prevent us from working, to advance and answer the aspirations of the Morrocans" who "we must go from before" since "the file is to be cleared up and that we do not have any more a complex in this field".

About the reforms initiated under Its reign, SM the King pointed out that the adoption of a new code of the family to which the foreign media attached importance is not the single reform which was undertaken.
Thus, explained the Sovereign, "the reforms related as well to the electoral code as that of work while passing by the rehabilitation of the culture amazigh or the reorganization of the religious fields".

SM King, which specifies that any reform must be undertaken "at the convenient period", considers that the Code of the revêt family indeed a particular importance in the sense that it is "aberrant that the women, who constitute a little more half of the population, are marginalized in the company".

With the question of knowing if it is possible that Morocco becomes a parliamentary monarchy with the image of those of the European countries, SM the King stressed that "one should not transpose the model of European monarchies" for Morocco "We have our specificities and our obligations which trace the way that we must traverse".
However, the Moroccan Constitution "is not solidified", noted the Sovereign who points out that during these 40 last years, Morocco adopted four constitutions and several amendments.

SM the King wishes that Spain adopt "a policy of positive neutrality" with regard to the Sahara

SM King Mohammed VI showed share of her wish Spain to help Morocco "in a constructive way, by adopting a policy of positive neutrality", with regard to the Moroccan Sahara, "as other friendly countries do it".

In a maintenance granted to the Spanish daily newspaper "El Pais" with the day before of the visit of State in Morocco of Their Majesties King Juan Carlos 1st and the Queen Sofia, SM the King indicated to have incited the successive Spanish governments so that Spain is the partner of the Kingdom "in the search for a solution of the problem of the Sahara by holding account owing to the fact that the territory is Moroccan".
"It should not be forgotten that for the sahraouis the marocanity of the Sahara is not any doubt", the Sovereign underlined.
"Neither Me, nor the Moroccan people will never agree to yield the sovereignty of Morocco on these provinces" which were recovered "in a legal and peaceful way", SM the King specified.

The Sovereign underlined the need for arriving to "a political solution" of the question, recalling that since 1996, several countries invited Morocco and the other parts implied in this conflict "to seek an alternative way with the conventional referendum envisaged by the plan of 1991 and of which inapplicability was already manifest".

The Kingdom, however "accepted the political solution also called third way and which consists in making it possible the populations concerned to manage their business within the framework of the sovereignty of Morocco", the Sovereign noted "Now, with the best intentions of the world, we seek, with UNO, to advance this negotiated political solution", ensured SM the King.

Last edited by a moderator:
Concerning the Algerian attitude on this subject, SM King pointed out that "there is a great difference between what says Algeria and what it makes".
And the Sovereign to explain: "One cannot affirm, on a side, as a simple member of UNO, his attachment with positions of principle, like self-determination, and other side, conduct a virulent campaign against Morocco as a part to the conflict" of the Sahara.

"the first point is normal, but the second, I cannot include/understand it", noted SM the King who considers that it belongs to the Heads of State of Morocco and Algeria "to work to level the divergences and to make so that the relation is more fluid".

But, in a general way, the two countries maintain "good relations", affirmed the Sovereign, qualifying "excellent" Its personal relation with president Bouteflika. SM the King underlined on this subject that "the safety of Algeria is of primary importance for Morocco" and that as regards monitoring of the borders, for example, the two countries "always worked together to prevent that Algerian armed groups do not find refuge in Morocco".

In connection with the solution which Morocco is ready to apply to the Sahara, SM the King affirmed that the Kingdom "is discussing" this question with the United Nations, recalling to have received, for this purpose, the special representative of the secretary-general of UNO, Mr. Alvaro de Soto.
SM the King underlines in this same order of ideas as the efforts made for the defense of the Moroccan Sahara constitute "a load but not a burden".

The Sovereign indicated that for economic and political reasons, it was necessary to make "a particular effort" in favour of the Saharan provinces which did not have infrastructures at the time of their recovery. All the Moroccan economy made a "main effort" for the development of this area, an effort which Morocco does not regret because "it was necessary to do it", still the Sovereign underlined.

See:
http://216.109.124.98/language/tran...udes/detail.asp?article_id=4715&lmodule=marocThe Complete text of the SM maintenance King Mohammed VI with the Spanish daily newspaper "El Pais"

MAP

Pictures from gettyimages.

Attachments

• A-1.jpg
    A-1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 437
  • B-1.jpg
    B-1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 499
  • 52003850.jpg
    52003850.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 565
  • 52003863.jpg
    52003863.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 564
  • 52003873.jpg
    52003873.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 629
  • 52003886.jpg
    52003886.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 644
  • 52003903.jpg
    52003903.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 436
  • 52003912.jpg
    52003912.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 52004025.jpg
    52004025.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 436
  • 52003941.jpg
    52003941.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 506
The King's State Visit to Morocco:

Attachments

• Morrocco.jpg
    Morrocco.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 490
  • Spain.jpg
    Spain.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 455
  • Spain1.jpg
    Spain1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 502
  • 52003901.jpg
    52003901.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 392
  • 52003808.jpg
    52003808.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 462
  • 52003827.jpg
    52003827.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 447
it is funny the way Salma got photographed in the 1st picture..I like Salma more in the 3 pic of my post. Pic # 2 is also nice

By the way, in his interview given to EL PAIS newspaper before the official visit of their Majesties of Spain, King M6 mentioned it is not in the tradition of the Alaouite Dynasty that the king attends marriages and funerals abroad. This is new to me..No wonder he sends his brother...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 532
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 472
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Moon said:
it is funny the way Salma got photographed in the 1st picture..I like Salma more in the 3 pic of my post. Pic # 2 is also nice

By the way, in his interview given to EL PAIS newspaper before the official visit of their Majesties of Spain, King M6 mentioned it is not in the tradition of the Alaouite Dynasty that the king attends marriages and funerals abroad. This is new to me..No wonder he sends his brother...
Tradition ... Tradition ...
He didn't say why it's like that?

Moon said:
It seems either salma doesn't understand spanish or Queen sofia doesn't speak well French :)

Yes, it's funny how she got photographed there ... she could get slowly near to queen sofia.

abir said:
Tradition ... Tradition ...
He didn't say why it's like that?
Nop he did not say why?!

"Furthermore, the tradition of our dynasty does not allow the King to attend weddings and funerals abroad. However, I would have liked to share with the royal family and the people these festivities." That was the last thing he said in reply to the 1st question.

Full text of the interview is here:
http://www.map.co.ma/mapeng/speeches/speeches2005/interview_pais.htm

Moon said:
It seems either salma doesn't understand spanish or Queen sofia doesn't speak well French :)

Yes, it's funny how she got photographed there ... she could get slowly near to queen sofia...
Cute pic. :) I presume that noise caused by loudley played music happened to be the most reasonable explanation for both - 'I beg your pardon' expression on Lalla Salma's face and Queen Sofia's gesticulations.
If you check the right side of the photo, you should be able to see that orchestra is still playing - which probably made it difficult for two ladies to properly hear and understand each other.

Last edited:
Blueice said:
Cute pic. :) I presume that noise caused by loudley played music happened to be the most reasonable explanation for both - 'I beg your pardon' expression on Lalla Salma's face and Queen Sofia's gesticulations.
If you check the right side of the photo, you should be able to see that orchestra is still playing - which probably made it difficult for two ladies to properly hear and understand each other.
I tought about that as well ... :) Thanks Blueice for posting it.

salma and her child, from http://www.elmundo.es/fotografia/2005/01/marruecos/index.html

and some from http://www.elpais.es/

Attachments

• imagen9.jpg
    imagen9.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 549
  • recorte-1.jpg
    recorte-1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 442
  • recorte-2.jpg
    recorte-2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 492
  • recorte-3.jpg
    recorte-3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 424
  • recorte-4.jpg
    recorte-4.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Blueice said:
I accept your explanation. But i want to mention i was not sarcastic about the way that photo was taken.

Why salma didn't make the courtsing to the queen?

Pics of the visit to Morocco from Casa del Rey

Attachments

• marru04g.jpg
    marru04g.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 428
  • marru05g.jpg
    marru05g.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 391
thanx for posting all the new pictures everyone.
I love that orange on Lalla Salma.

I like Lalla Salma's hair here (color, curls, texture)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 534
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
salma on orange ... lovely orange flowers as well, same color as salma coat :)
Her hair looks better, I wonder if she changed a bit the color or maybe just because of the volume she gave to it in the front. She looks also more formal in 2nd and 3rd pictures than we saw her before ... :rolleyes: ;)

I love Hasna dress, lovely.

Attachments

• 2332437.jpg
    2332437.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 378
  • 2332184.jpg
    2332184.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 365
  • 2332584.jpg
    2332584.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 462
  • 2332402.jpg
    2332402.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 531
  • 2332278.jpg
    2332278.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 519
  • 2332404.jpg
    2332404.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 546
  • 2332503.jpg
    2332503.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
Thank you all for lovely photos - she looks very nice indeed. I especially like the one with her little boy (as most of children, he found his mom's purse rather interesting and 'explorable'...):)

She looks nice. But does she ever talk to the visitors in public. It seems as if she is shy.

thnkx for the pictures all.
Loved what she was wearing, the coat was beautiful.Lala mariam also looked really good but they both seemed upset or as if something was annoying them when they were standing together.

Monalisa said:
As i said in a previous post,the flat hair in front doesnt suits her,she's more better now when she gave a few volume in the front :) !
I agree with you, few volume in the front softens more her face .... than when her hair is flat.

salma was absolutely gorgeous today.
she is a wonderful queen, surely. she represents her role as consort so good, even a lot better than some of the future queens of europe.
she also seems to loving and caring about her son...

Guess Who said:
thnkx for the pictures all.
Loved what she was wearing, the coat was beautiful.Lala mariam also looked really good but they both seemed upset or as if something was annoying them when they were standing together.

Maybe it's only they have to be serious when they was listning to natioanal hymne of spain and morocco,under a hard sun of marrakesh!

Salma doesn't look upset in the other pictures,she's smiling,and L.Meryem too have a smile in photo group!

abir said:
I agree with you, few volume in the front softens more her face .... than when her hair is flat.

Yes when they are flat in front,it makes her forhead larger and her nose stronger!

Monalisa said:
Yes when they are flat in front,it makes her forhead larger and her nose stronger!
Flat hair goes well with tinny features and some shapes of face.
Yes, orange suits her more but she opts also for a light makeup this time ... maybe she took on account remarks made by members of this forum :)

KM6 and P.LS visited with the spanish royal couple the musuem of morocco-spanish culture in marrakesh.

L.Salma was in an other suit,skirt and jaket,i saw that in TV,but we don't have yet the photos,i guess that we will have too more pictures from the dinner welcoming king Juan Carlos and queen Sophia of Spain:) .

Here is a pic about the inauguration of the exhibition entitled "Morocco & Spain: a commun history"

Attachments

• sm_exposition_espagne_g8.jpg
    sm_exposition_espagne_g8.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 497
Back
Top Bottom