Spanish State Visit to Morocco: January 17-19, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Sofia and Lalla Salma at a children's social centre.
The two women seem to have become good friends in a short time!

Attachments

• 2343181.jpg
    2343181.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 2343182.jpg
    2343182.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 391
  • 2343131.jpg
    2343131.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
TAHADART, MOROCCO: Spanish King Juan Carlos, his Moroccan counterpart Mohammed VI (C) and his brother Moulay Rachid arrive to attend the inauguration of a power station in Tahadart near Tangiers, northern Morocco, 19 January 2004. The king is on the third and last day of his state visit to Morocco hailed on both sides of the Mediterranean as a major step in renewing links that had tarnished over recent years. AFP PHOTO/ABDELHAK SENNA

more pics...

Attachments

• 52021509.jpg
    52021509.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 272
  • 52021520.jpg
    52021520.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 203
  • AP720203_guest.jpg
    AP720203_guest.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 282
  • AP720414_guest.jpg
    AP720414_guest.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 192
  • AP720417_guest.jpg
    AP720417_guest.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
~*~Humera~*~ said:
Queen Sofia and Lalla Salma at a children's social centre.
The two women seem to have become good friends in a short time!
Thanks Humera for the pictures. They look as they are very old friends ... and my remark of being warm ... here it's too much :)
I am confused about social projects inaugurations and visits of salma only with foreign first ladies.

Last edited by a moderator:
abir said:
Thanks Humera for the pictures. They look as they are very old friends ... and my remark of being warm ... here it's too much :)
I am confused about social projects inaugurations and visits of salma only with foreign first ladies.
yes we've all noticed that too.
Except for a few occassions in the past, she doesnt seem to carry out daily official duties like many other royals do, including her sisters-in-law.
I also noticed that she wasnt at the parliament with the Spanish King and Queen yesterday. Maybe it'll take her a while to get more involved. The Moroccan kings' wives havent traditionally had very prominent roles.

I don´t see the pics of the private dinner of yesterday. I see this in spanish TV, lalla Salma wear a orange caftan and King Juan Carlos play with Moulay Hassan.

Oh, these pictures are so nice, thank you Humera :) - both ladies look very lovely and seem to get along very well. Queen Sofia is such a admirable lady, indeed.

Queen Sofía, accompanied by Princess Lalla Meryem, sister of the King Mohamed VI (Rabat, January 18, 2005 )

Attachments

• sofia_maryem1.jpg
    sofia_maryem1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 255
Pictures from http://www.fotomarktplatz.de

Caption: Lalla Salma of Morocco and Queen Sofia of Spain visit a rehabilitation center for young people in Tanger-Morocco on January 19 , 2005 on the last day of a three-day state visit to Morocco of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain.

Attachments

• showLayoutImage-1.jpg
    showLayoutImage-1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 250
  • showLayoutImage-8.jpg
    showLayoutImage-8.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 256
  • showLayoutImage-5.jpg
    showLayoutImage-5.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 265
  • showLayoutImage-7.jpg
    showLayoutImage-7.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 375
  • showLayoutImage-6.jpg
    showLayoutImage-6.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 301
  • showLayoutImage-3.jpg
    showLayoutImage-3.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 298
  • showLayoutImage-2.jpg
    showLayoutImage-2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 273
abir said:
Caption: Lalla Salma of Morocco and Queen Sofia of Spain visit a rehabilitation center for young people in Tanger-Morocco on January 19 , 2005 on the last day of a three-day state visit to Morocco of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain.
those are beautiful pictures abir
what a wonderful state visit this has been. Its been so nice to see the Spanish royals received so warmly by the Moroccan people and the royal family. The two royal families have such warm relations that dont seem to have been affected by the political tensions between their countries.

I love how affectionate the Queen can be like how she frequently links her arms with others whether she is being welcomed or she is doing the welcoming herself.

I like the pant..I hope the jacket were the same like the pant. Also, that white top tank, nice, but not with this outfit :rolleyes: ...and the flower is not flattering:cool: ..

Of course this is my opinion...

But i enjoy the warmth in the pics...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 348
Alexandria said:
I love how affectionate the Queen can be like how she frequently links her arms with others whether she is being welcomed or she is doing the welcoming herself.
Yes I've noticed that about the Queen too. Her warm, friendly, and affectionate personality sets her apart from most royals out there and is evident in all the pictures I have seen of her. Of course it helps that Lalla Salma has a very genuine, warm personality too. Im pretty sure the two women hadn't met before this visit and they look like they're very old friends! The two royal families are pretty close I believe. I remember seeing a picture of King Juan Carlos crying at the late King Hassan's funeral.

Last edited:
more pictures from yesterday

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 261
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 324
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 395
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 354
Humble said:
I like the pant..I hope the jacket were the same like the pant. Also, that white top tank, nice, but not with this outfit :rolleyes: ...and the flower is not flattering:cool: ..

Of course this is my opinion...

But i enjoy the warmth in the pics...
I agree with you Humble ... the black flower it's not a royal ;)
Plus it's too big for the small jacket and the little space left, a brooch could be suitable and elegant.

Here are some images from a French news report I saw two days ago.
The images are from the Gala Dinner on the first day of the visit and you can see how absolutely stunning the interior of the palace is.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 442
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 353
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 293
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 359
~*~Humera~*~ said:
more pictures from yesterday
Thanks Humera. Pity we don't see Hasna well in the picture ... but she looks pretty, as usual :)

i dont like the waya she dressed but i think she is geeting better and she need help ..... i hope less makeup but i think she is nice lady

Thanks Humera for the lovely pics. :) I found it both interesting and surprising how tall Princess Salma appeared to be - standing next to Queen Sofia and knowing that she is tall lady (like all members of Spanish Royal family for that matter), I wouldn't expect Lalla Salma to be about the same height. Surely, she apparently wears higher heels than Q. Sofia, yet, it seems they would be about the same height with their shoes off. Surprising.

a small picture but a nice one, of P.Lalla salma with prince My Hassan and king juan carlos of spain on the balcony!

Attachments

• salma+Myhassan+J.JPG
    salma+Myhassan+J.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 264
We notice all how Queen sofia was warm with salma during the last day of spanish royal visit to Morocco. The spanish press has noticed that and beyond ... it says Queen sofia has broken the moroccan royal protocol to a favor of salma, and salma seems was happy with that ;)

From http://www.libertaddigital.com/noticias/noticia_1276242057.html

The Queen obliges Sansegundo to greet to Lala Salma before the brother of Mohamed VI

The Queen Mrs Sofía was jumped this Wednesday the protocol during an act that took place in the Palace Marchane of Tangiers, where the Kings concluded the visit of State to Morocco that initiated Monday in Marrakech. It was during the firm of the memorandum on the lands of the future Spanish University of Morocco, a project that endorsed the Kings of Spain and Morocco in the presence of the ministers of Education of both countries. L D (Europe Press)

The anecdote was produced when the Spanish holder of Education, Maria Jesus Sansegundo, approached to greet the monarchs, to its respective wife and brother of the King of Morocco, the prince Mulay Rachid. Sansegundo, continuing the protocol, was directed first to Mohamed VI, subsequently to Mr. Juan Carlos, in third place to Mrs Sofía and, when was directed toward the brother of the Moroccan king, the Queen retained its hand so that greeted before the princess Lala Salma, a gesture with the one that wanted to dignify the figure of the woman in a country where its role is of subordination al man. Before this act, the Queen already had passed good part of the day with the wife of Mohamed VI, that has had during the visit of State of the Spanish Kings a public presence that is not habitual in Morocco. Both they responded to know the Center of Social Insertion and Professional for Youths of Beni Makada, a slum of Tangiers arisen fifteen years ago in the periphery of the city by the rural exodus. More 50 percent of the population is smaller and it is estimated that the 70 percent of the smaller foreigners done not accompany by Moroccan origin in Spain proceeds of this neighborhood. Mrs Sofía and Lala Salma entered al Central of the arm, they visited the installations and some classrooms, in which they were received with songs by the children, to whom they kissed before being interested for their work. The críos offered its guests a small stage show during the one that carried placards in the back where in spanish right could read itself as "liberty", "democracy" or "food".

From http://protocoloycomunicacion.blogspot.com/

Broken protocol in the visit of State to Morocco

As already I said last Tuesday the protocol of Morocco is very different al our since its Arabian culture imposes some rules on the public presence of the woman. And what happened Wednesday already was foreseeable. Yesterday, in television and radio, and today, in press, we could see as the Queen Mrs Sofía broke the Moroccan protocol in favor of its host, the Royal Princess Lalla Salma, twice. During her visit in Tangiers to a social center, the Queen strolled caught of the hand of the Royal Princess (front of ABC in PDF). And already in the RoyalPalace, Mrs Sofía caught the arm of the Minister of Education, Mª Jesus San Second, when this went to compliment al Prince Mulay Rachid, so that the minister had to greet before the Royal Princess. In this way, our Queen broke several times the protocol of the neighboring country in favor of his host, a Royal Princess (that not Queen), that occupies a lower place al of the Prince and the Moroccan Princesses, since she is not a daughter of King, but simple consort.

I saw on tV the images of queen sophia ans salma (the images of last day of the visit), and I found queen sophia very gentle because salma was very intimidated and stress, and the queen has do evertything to make her comfortable

the queen sophia is really an adorable woman

rosa said:
I saw on tV the images of queen sophia ans salma (the images of last day of the visit), and I found queen sophia very gentle because salma was very intimidated and stress, and the queen has do evertything to make her comfortable

the queen sophia is really an adorable woman
I also saw these pictures on TV, it is exact that lalla salma was tense, but I find that normal because she doesn't have the use of this kind of event, I think in the future she will be more natural

There are photos of lalla salma and Queen Sophia, I agree with you Queen Sophia is an adorable and understanding lady, she understood that lalla salma doesn’t have experience and she helped her with her smile and her warmth to do her job of first lady

You are right loubna2 & rosa, all is due to lack of exercise.
In other hand, the spanish media mentioned as well QS broke with moroccan royal protocol when she asked a spanish minister to greet first salma before the brother of moroccan king.

Such protocol which asks to greet a man (not the king) before a woman doesn't help that much salma. And I think QS felt that.

Morocco. -the Queen is jumped the protocol to that Sansegundo greet to Lala Salma before that al brother of Mohamed VI The Queen visit with the wife of the King of Morocco a Social Center in a slum of Tangiers

TANGER, 19 (of the special shipment of EUROPE PRESS Eva Canton)

The Queen Mrs Sofía was jumped today the protocol during an act that took place in the Palace Marchane of Tangiers, where the Kings concluded the visit of State to Morocco that initiated Monday in Marrakech. Was during the firm of the memorandum on the lands of the future Spanish University of Morocco, an ambitious one Moroccan initiative that is giving still their first steps and that endorsed the Kings of Spain and Morocco in the presence of the ministers of Education of both countries.

The anecdote was produced when the Spanish holder of Education, Maria Jesus Sansegundo, approached to greet the monarchs, to its respective wives and al brother of the King of Morocco, the prince Mulay Rachid. Sansegundo, continuing the protocol, was directed first to Mohamed VI, subsequently to Mr. Juan Carlos, in third place to Mrs Sofía and, when was directed toward the brother of the Moroccan king, the Queen retained its hand so that greeted before the princess Lala Salma, a gesture with the one that dignified the figure of the woman in a country where its role is of subordination al man.

Before this act, the Queen already had passed good part of the day with the wife of Mohamed VI, that has had during the visit of State of the Spanish Kings a public presence that is not habitual in Morocco. Both they responded to know the Center of Social Insertion and Professional for Youths of Beni Makada, a slum of Tangiers arisen fifteen years ago in the periphery of the city by the rural exodus. More 50 percent of the population is smaller and it is estimated that the 70 percent of the smaller foreigners done not accompany by Moroccan origin in Spain proceeds of this neighborhood.

The project is an example of the contribution between different Moroccan and Spanish institutions and is framed in the priority lines of the Moroccan development for the improvement of the quality of childlike life and of the woman. Besides, form splits of the Plan of Fight against the Poverty in the urban middle and periurbano of the PNUD. In its installations there is a composed polyvalent center of a center of listens, accompaniment and collected of children in situation of risk and of abandonment, with a capacity for a hundred less than four to eighteen years.

There is a during the day open center in hourly extra scholar for children and youths of the neighborhood and a centre of formation and insertion socio professional where workshops of formation adapted to the needs of the local labor market are carried out, with a capacity for 140 youths and smaller. In a second phase of the project, already approved by the Spanish Agency of International Cooperation (AECI), an annex destined to teaching literacy of women will be built.

The project arises of the work of the Spanish association PAIDEIA in contribution with the Department of Moroccan Social Development and their assembly of activities, so much developed as predicted, they suppose a Spanish contribution of 1,5 million euro.

Mrs Sofía and Lala Salma entered al Central of the arm, they visited the installations and some classrooms, in which they were received with songs by the children, to whom they kissed before being interested for their work. The crios offered its guests a small stage show during the one that carried placards in the back where in Spanish right could read itself as "liberty", "democracy" or "food".

The outskirts of the Center were a hotbed of curious that cheered al step of the illustrious visiting and the streets of Tangiers, like Monday happened in Marrakech, they betrayed the presence of the King and of their guests. In every case, so much in Tangiers as yesterday in Rabat, the enthusiasm by the visit of Mr. Juan Carlos and Mrs Sofía was a lot more moderate. In the Moroccan capital the streets seemed to have been swept of transeuntes and they lit up clean and empty.

Neither yesterday neither today the mob was seen that the first day left in Marrakech to praise the Kings during its traveled through to the Real Palace, although they did not lack the red carpets, the courts of traffic and the objections to organize a visit of these characteristics, that in Morocco has always certain dose of complication and chaos.

From http://es.news.yahoo.com/050119/4/3v2xc.html

Last edited:
a small photo, I think it doesn't post before

Attachments

• signat_memorund_universit_2_small.jpg
    signat_memorund_universit_2_small.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 361
I read the article posted by abir, very nice of Queen Sophia indeed. My admiration for her increases all the time. I saw a video of Lalla Salma greeting Queen Sophia at the airport and I remember that Salma insisted on walking behind her. I think a lot of it does have to do with the fact that Lalla Salma hasnt much experience with situations like that. I mean that she hasnt really socialized with foreign royals that much. Also, she might be the King's wife, but she is still a princess. Which may explain why she's not given the same treatment as befitting a Queen.

Last edited:
~*~Humera~*~ said:
I read the article posted by abir, very nice of Queen Sophia indeed. My admiration for her increases all the time. I saw a video of Lalla Salma greeting Queen Sophia at the airport and I remember that Salma insisted on walking behind her. I think a lot of it does have to do with the fact that Lalla Salma hasnt much experience with situations like that. I mean that she hasnt really socialized with foreign royals that much. Also, she might be the King's wife, but she is still a princess. Which may explain why she's not given the same treatment as befitting a Queen.

I couldn't agree more - thanks for the very interesting articles abir. That was fairly unusual reaction in respect to royal protocal, yet to be expected from Queen Sofia. She usually grasps with ease and accurate perception her surroundings and manage to express all the grandeur and respectability of her judgement, her 'saber estar' or 'manera de ser' (so well known and respected not only in Spain but worldwide) in a best possible way. Truly rare qualities of a very special lady. It was a lovely gesture, indeed.

Few more pics from the recent Spanish royal visit to Morocco...

The engaged massages on children's back as well as attention both ladies pay to their play are rather intriguing. Does anyone have more information regarding performance that Moroccan children played for the royals?

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 303
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 404
  • 5997138.jpg
    5997138.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 296
  • 5997140.jpg
    5997140.jpg