Royal Family of Morocco: Articles, Interviews & Speeches

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that Rosa did a good analysis, the palace know that the picture of lalla salma isn't very attractive, she appears clumsy in public, her look wasn't elegant, she did big mistakes of taste,
She appears as a kind girl, but none admired her
The palace had to change that, and build her another picture more pleasant
In spite of the fact that lalla salma don't like the way to communicate of queen Rania, the palace want to make her the same image, but the results can't be the same, because the two ladies are very different, queen rania is a very confident lady, perhaps she don't make the unanimity around her, but none can deny that she is a very good communicating lady (I saw her several times on TV, she has a big self-confidence and she express very clearly her ideas)
I don't think that Lalla Salma can follow the same way, not because she don't want that, or the palace don't want (they know that it would be a very good publicity for Morocco in foreigner to have a queen as rania, especially in our time, where unfortunately, Muslims hasn't a nice image), but because, she hasn't the personality for that, for who saw her on TV, (in Thailand for example, or in New York), it's obvious that, she has difficulties to communicate in big events, its seems that she has the same problem that her husband who isn’t a good communicating man (magazine Tel Quel made a good article about that this year, and foreigners journalists also mention that)
I don't want to be hard, but I think that she is a little jealous of the success of queen rania, and she hides herself behind her role of mother and wife

I think something here is reeaally misunderstood.

The palace doesn't think that lalla salma isn't attractive or so. They believe the absolute contrary. But the palace is behaving with very much moderation with this image. She is not the one who decides. The palace do decide. And she can hardly speak. The palace surely doesn't want her to overshadow her husband the king. That's all. They use her image to communicate, but don't want her to appear more than her husband.

What was said in this article about salma's opinion on rania was not expressed by salma herself but by a relative of salma. I'm not certain it is reliable one hundred per cent.

But she's come a looonng way. And that 's something the article mentions but everyone or almost everyone here didn't notice that. It's not easy for her to be the one everyone here would like her to be. The moroccan makhzen is a strong and powerful machine that you just can't overcome like that. The other princesses (and that's what the article says) don't want her to be in the front line, because she would be overshadowing them. I don't believe that the king's sisters are as well educated as many of you here believe or want to believe, it's not because they look elegant in pictures that they're so much concerned about their role model, or the moroccan people. They have very bad manners and salma has been going through very bad times at the begining because she didn't get on well with them.

And as far as Jordan is concerned don't forget that's it's a very old tradition in this country to have queens. All king hussein's wives were allowed to play on their image, to appear and have a role model, to give interviews, to travel the world, to give speeches. Rania came, okay she's a great queen, she's doing such such a great job, but she didn't have to beat her way through a crowd of princesses pretending or hoping to become first ladies. She didn't have to conquest her place as a woman. She WAS the queen. A proeminent feminine figure was all that could be normal. But not in Morocco.

And what did you see of salma on tv? Something like 30 or 40 seconds of her walking, talking or smiling. You didn't even hear what she was saying or what she has to say. Come on!!! You can't compare that to rania's interviews with oprah or any other tv or press journalist!

Last edited by a moderator:
i just want to tell you don't trust every thing you hear or learnd about princess Salma , and i can assure you that the other princess doesn't have any relation with her since she introduced the royal family .

the article of telquel seems like a resume of salma threads in this forum :)
the most prominent magazine for moroccans base its article on hearings. but i understand the poor journalist can’t expect to interview a member of royal family who lack transparency and who are happy how they control the media.

concerning salma and other princesses. if salma is really intelligent, she doesn’t have to overcome her sisters-in-law. each has his own position.
imo salma didn’t success to overcome her sisters-in-law, that’s why she looked somewhere else, and she overcomes and quickly took the step on other cancer associations :confused: :(
the article says ''the palace has associates the persons in charge of these associations to the princess ONG. to assure itself a wide collaboration, but also to avoid all rivalry''
avoid rivalry reflect a dictatorship behaviour of the princess.
it’s far to believe salma is an angel. the article says she controls palace servants and spending. she prefers to give palace old stuff to her family than to servants. ok the princess loves to control what she owns, but does she and her husband control well BIG SPENDING and let moroccan control what themselves they spend :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Personally, I read in "Le Monde ", that her mother family "Bensouda" is very close to the royal family, one of her cousin made his studies with M6 (in the royal college), and her uncle was his private doctor
I read also in Spanish newspaper (I don't remember if it was "El Mundo" or "El Pais") that she is very good friend with the better M6' friend "El Himma" (who is now Home secretary of state), and that it's this man (who has a big influence on the king) who pushed him to marry with her
Certainly, none of us can say if there is, or no, love between M6 and Salma
But what is certain, is that the Cinderella’s history that was sold at the magazines doesn't correspond with the reality

I read the same articl(in arabic someweher I'll find the link) about friendship between lalla salma and El Himma in wish I understand that this relation Came after her marriage not before.

this subject take more than his size, there is the The official version,what The journalists Writes and what other people say(a daughter of an ex-minister told us that m6 and salma where very good friend before there marriage nothing about the meeting..)so we'll never know what's the truth.I agree with Little_star it doesn't really matter how they meet there is a big love story wich finished very badly..even I still think that it's hard to belive that's a king who Refused Tradition wich the king must Marries after After one day from his father death in 1999 will Surrenders easily and let the other Determines the date of His marriage in 2002 and Choice of the bride???!!!!

shrifia said:
I read the same articl(in arabic someweher I'll find the link) about friendship between lalla salma and El Himma in wish I understand that this relation Came after her marriage not before.

in the spanish newspaper, I read that he hepled her to marry the king

rosa said:
the spanish newspaper say that they were friends before, and that he helped her to marry the king
sorry rosa mybye my arabic is bad too:)
why you talk about help her to marry him,influenceing him,Presenting some girls to him for The choice....it's not a child comme meme it's an absolut king in morocco,who have all the power and who Decides for all the moroccans and you (not only you rosa) let the thing Appears just like he can Decides in his own marriage.

shrifia said:
this subject take more than his size, there is the The official version,what The journalists Writes and what other people say(a daughter of an ex-minister told us that m6 and salma where very good friend before there marriage nothing about the meeting..)so we'll never know what's the truth.I agree with Little_star it doesn't really matter how they meet there is a big love story wich finished very badly..even I still think that it's hard to belive that's a king who Refused Tradition wich the king must Marries after After one day from his father death in 1999 will Surrenders easily and let the other Determines the date of His marriage in 2002 and Choice of the bride???!!!!

because of the politic, if he married a day after his father death, he would appear as a very traditional man, but with the cendrilla history that was invented by the palace, he appeared at foreigners as a modern man

shrifia said:
sorry rosa mybye my arabic is bad too:)
why you talk about help her to marry him,influenceing him,Presenting some girls to him for The choice....it's not a child comme meme it's an absolut king in morocco,who have all the power and who Decides for all the moroccans and you (not only you rosa) let the thing Appears just like he can Decides in his own marriage.

certainely, he can't decide alone, because he is the king and a king who has a political role (not a protcoolar role like in europe)all what he do has a political connotation

I will continue the discussion about the encounter of M6 and Salma here, (I think that this thread is more appropriate), and I want to answer at shrifia who said me
"I think that the only things that will help him to look modern at foreigners state it's his workand let some of his absolute authority to The government and the parliament not his love story and marriage people are not stupid Especially outside"
I agree with you shrifia, for me also, it's what he is doing in the politician matter, that is interesting, but it seems that it's isn't the way to think of the king and his advisers
do you remark that the palace communication always go by people magazine as "Paris Match", and very rarely by serious newspapers, for example, for the commemoration of the very important date of the 50th years on independence the palace choose "paris match" to make a dossier, instead of that king give an interview at important newspapers like "le journal-hebdo" in Morocco, or "Le figaro" or "Le Monde" in France
I think that it's a proof of the way to think of the king and his advisers; they think that people are more interested by the "glamourous" than the serious things

rosa said:
I will continue the discussion about the encounter of M6 and Salma here, (I think that this thread is more appropriate), and I want to answer at shrifia who said me
"I think that the only things that will help him to look modern at foreigners state it's his workand let some of his absolute authority to The government and the parliament not his love story and marriage people are not stupid Especially outside"
I agree with you shrifia, for me also, it's what he is doing in the politician matter, that is interesting, but it seems that it's isn't the way to think of the king and his advisers
do you remark that the palace communication always go by people magazine as "Paris Match", and very rarely by serious newspapers, for example, for the commemoration of the very important date of the 50th years on independence the palace choose "paris match" to make a dossier, instead of that king give an interview at important newspapers like "le journal-hebdo" in Morocco, or "Le figaro" or "Le Monde" in France
I think that it's a proof of the way to think of the king and his advisers; they think that people are more interested by the "glamourous" than the serious things
I agree with you rosa in one thing that he always (his familly too) gives interview to foreigners newspapers not the national one you have good eys;) .but if we Calculate those time wich m6 give them (paris match,el pais,time..)interviews, I think it's very few time (his son' Birthday,the 50th years on independence...and some very few other even).I agree that he think that some people are more interested by the glamourous(who Measures The modernization by what elegant the first lady or other royal ladys). all royal familly Around the the world Without exclusion think in the same way.but Seriously I don't think that this familly are very fan of The lights and The cameras even when a member of them do some public work the only picture we get it from map and Mostly one pic and Rarely we find The foreign agencies like getty images Covers(exept state visits and some very few event) the even not like other royal familly who are In all times Pursue by army of photographed.so we can't say that they only care about geving ppl glamourous thing more than the serious one.

Last edited:
shrifia said:
I agree with you rosa in one thing that he always (his familly too) gives interview to foreigners newspapers not the national one you have good eys;) .but if we Calculate those time wich m6 give them (paris match,el pais,time..)interviews, I think it's very few time (his son' Birthday,the 50th years on independence...and some very few other even).I agree that he think that some people are more interested by the glamourous(who Measures The modernization by what elegant the first lady or other royal ladys). all royal familly Around the the world Without exclusion think in the same way.but Seriously I don't think that this familly are very fan of The lights and The cameras even when a member of them do some public work the only picture we get it from map and Mostly one pic and Rarely we find The foreign agencies like getty images Covers(exept state visits and some very few event) the even not like other royal familly who are In all times Pursue by army of photographed.so we can't say that they only care about geving ppl glamourous thing more than the serious one.

I don't say that this family is interested to be under the light, but that, for the king and his advisers glamorous communication is the most effective, for me, when a state man choose a people magazine, to make a dossier about a very important celebration for his country (50th anniversary of the independence), that mean, that for him, and for who surround him, this way is the most effective
And I think that, it's for that, they invented the fairy tale about the marriage of the king, to build the image of the "king of the poor", who choose a "people’s girl" to be the first lady

it is necessary to replace the things in the context, Miss, all was made quickly, catastrophe before the publication of the book of TUQUOI, then......
M6, did not have more father, who had carried before his death his preference on a girl of minister and finally to mark the blow and to make a media blow, large a scoop.....he wanted a girl which did not form part of the royal family...... and M6 did not attend ANY girl (of the people, very short people besides) in Morocco...
and to marry with a girl of its family, would have done nothing but amplify the rumours on his private life
Have you ever seen the infrastructre of safety have already which surrounds the king at the time of his déplacments???
you really believe that it would have been has a party, like does it Felipe of Spain, to meet a girl, to chatter with her to give him appointment etc??????? , PLease let's be serious we are in Morocco, and he needed "a pure pearl" like called she was namd by the palace at the time of her marriage

ikram said:
it is necessary to replace the things in the context, Miss, all was made quickly, catastrophe before the publication of the book of TUQUOI, then......
M6, did not have more father, who had carried before his death his preference on a girl of minister and finally to mark the blow and to make a media blow, large a scoop.....he wanted a girl which did not form part of the royal family...... and M6 did not attend ANY girl (of the people, very short people besides) in Morocco...
and to marry with a girl of its family, would have done nothing but amplify the rumours on his private life
Have you ever seen the infrastructre of safety have already which surrounds the king at the time of his déplacments???
you really believe that it would have been has a party, like does it Felipe of Spain, to meet a girl, to chatter with her to give him appointment etc??????? , PLease let's be serious we are in Morocco, and he needed "a pure pearl" like called she was namd by the palace at the time of her marriage
i ager with u ikram. according to spanish media, m6 were dating girls b4 salma. and salma for 2 years.
if wasn't salma, ''pure pearl'' could be any girl choosed by the palace :wacko:

Last edited:
There's an excellent article (in french) in Tel quel magazine about the relation ship of the late prince moulay abdallah, with his brother the late king hassan 2.
TelQuel : Le Maroc tel qu'il est
clic on archives and go to number 271
Then click on the picture itself

you can use google translator to translate the site from spanish to english. i often use this tool.:flowers:

They are beautiful, young, modern and fortunes in clothes of designers and models of haute are spent couture. And with a chic image and very in fashion, queen Rania of Jordan and princess Lalla Salma of Morocco, represent with much elegance the reigns of the countries headed by their husbands, and have fascinated to all with their style and beauty
AltaVista - Babel Fish Translation

I haven't posted the entire article for copyright reasons but just click on the link.

thanks girls for the suggestions:flowers::flowers:
i thought it's an intesting article but seems just another silly comparison.

a small new about Lalla Salma in moroccan magazine: TelQuel : Le Maroc tel qu'il est
go to VITES ! in the end of the page.
' L’épouse de Mohammed VI a pris, le week-end dernier, l’avion pour New York sur la ligne régulière de la RAM. Non pas dans un boeing affrété pour elle, mais avec le “petit peuple” de la première classe, le prince héritier dans les bras. Discrète ou presque : six berlines Mercedes ont accompagné Lalla Salma jusqu'à la passerelle d’embarquement.'

they said har the princess take the airplane last week-end to New York with normal poeple on plane aparantely she buy her ticket from RAM (Royal Air Maroc) like all peole do and she didn't use her husband jet. some who notice her on plane say he tried to be discreet with he son moulay hassan in her arms.

Last edited:
Feminise the face of Islam
The king of Morocco knows women can lead the way in moderating the messages of Islam. Britain should adopt his approach.....Full article

Washington Times - CHARAI: Morocco: Splits and burdens
When, against a background of growing conservatism, notably religious Mohammed VI succeeded his father Hassan II as king of Morocco on July 23, 1999, he set his sights on democracy and modernity. Nine years later, it is worthy noting that this dichotomy between the old and the new still exists as the king breaks with the past.

L'Économiste
translation via google
9-year reign
Lalla Salma: The Ambassador of Morocco

The princess increasingly present in international
Many actions pro-poor
THE charming smile Lalla Salma is not the only asset of the first lady of Morocco. A charming addition to its effective participation in the Moroccan public life, reflects a real political progress.
Inside as outside the country, the princess has a high esteem. Ambassador of Morocco abroad, its missions and commitments offer a new model of sovereignty to break with the past. The role of women in the lives of Moroccans took a new turn. And Lalla Salma announced the beginning of major changes. Besides legal reforms that have given rise to the Moudawana part of this process.
A grown woman who speaks several languages, holds a diploma in computer science State, Lalla Salma vehicle modernity without breaking with tradition. The wife of King never obtain the title of Queen, princess will be as is the custom Alawite.
Particularly popular princess has a genuine appeal for his people. It will play all its qualities to get closer, particularly through social actions targeted. The princess is fighting against cancer beside the sick, which it will provide moral and material support.
Lalla Salma is best known for having revived the national association of support and modernization of hospital equipment to aid cancer. It is reputed to be involved at all levels. It said the rigorous, combining charm and vigour at a time.
The image of Morocco that vehicle bears a name, that of openness. In his public appearances, it is not the role of Honorary Chair. It is also this attitude that it stands out. His presence on the public sphere is real, and its actions. Honorée the title of Royal Highness Princess is discreet but effective. The wife of King is active on several fronts. Its margin of action is widening. It is also why it was proclaimed "young global leader" by the World Economic Forum in 2008. If the marriage of King Mohammed VI looks like a fairy tale, actions by the royal couple have nothing magical result of a genuine desire to change, indeed palpable through various actions, especially for poor.
The charm and the smile of Lalla Salma also operate abroad, where she represented Morocco many times. Apart from his fight against cancer, the princess has been involved in the fight against AIDS during a meeting at the United Nations. From the royal union were born two children but also ambitious modernization projects in Morocco.

.... Nowadays, King Mohammed and his wife, Lalla Salma Bennadi (who also holds a science degree, specialising in computer science), are the symbols of a young Morocco (more than 50% of the population is under 35 years of age), which wants to see change, without dramatic revolutions but following a path of modernity and certainty....Link

Morocco's 'Mother Teresa' Receives $1 Million Opus Prize for Dedication to Single Mothers & Abandoned Children
"Just after the [Al-Jazeera] interview, His Majesty invited me to the palace and told me not to be discouraged by the threat and that I must 'keep on,'" Aicha recalled during her MACC interview. "He not only gave me a generous check to support the Association, but he gave me a golden key -- a symbolic reminder that it was my duty to 'open the hearts of Moroccans.'"....Link

Back
Top Bottom