Princess Marie of Denmark Visits Morocco: November 10-11, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently, the main goal of this visit is to strengthen relations between Denmark and Morocco. I know that the thought of visiting an orphanage and handing out Legos during only one visit may seem trivial, but that isn't the main point of the visit. If the Danish government wants to strengthen ties with Morocco, it makes a lot of sense to send the royal who is fluent in French, especially since this is just a quick visit and not an intense meeting where trade agreements will be made.

There has been some discussion regarding this in the Morocco thread, and the first poster has shared some information about the idea behind this visit.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...morocco-28-october-2008-a-18696-new-post.html
Considering Denmark's very poor relations with the Muslim World I think it's excellent see Marie embarking on a trip to an Arab muslim country so soon.

IMO it's a joke to send Marie abroad on her own at this stage. So far she has done almost nothing in Denmark and should concentrate on some kind of Danish agenda first before being chosen to represent her country abroad.

If the purpose is to strenghten relations the DRF should attach more importance to it and send both, Marie and Joachim.

Yes the orphans could probably do with more important things than lego but come on, can her visiting them really be such a bad thing?
Even if you just want to look at it as visiting the orphans. These children probably have very little self value, no possessions, no family. But a real live princess wants to come and see them! For us adults it seems trivial, but for children who have little or nothing, where is the harm in being made to feel special and thought of and not forgotten?

I too think it's nice that they are sending a royal to a muslim country like Morocco, god knows after all the Danish flag burnings and boycotts of Danish products etc among some groups after those famous cartoons, this is really something the diplomatic relations need. Sure she won't save the orphans or anything, but giving them stuff to play with and let them meet a real princess might at least put a smile on their faces.

And for Marie it's probably a heaven sent gift to be able to do her first solo thing while speaking French without anyone criticizing her for it. If it would be in Denmark, there would be lots of pressure on her to speak Danish perfectly. So for her this is a good solution that lets her start doing solo engagements but without gigantic pressure and analysis of her every word afterwards. Hopefully her Danish is improving by every day so that she can start working solo in Denmark soon as well, without having to have Joachim as a safety next to her.

I think it´s quite expensive for the Danish tax-payer to pay for those trips. Why can´t they just give the Lego toys to the Moroccon embassy in Copenhagen and the embassy can send it to Morocco or so. It´s ridiculous to send Marie to Morocco just to hand out toys.

Because Denmark has a bit of a problem in the Muslim world and Marocco is a country where French speaking princesses are at an advantage?

In my subjective opinion ...

Princess Marie's visit to Rabat is somewhat similar to the visit of Crown Princely coupe to Iceland in May, 2008. Some members expressed their doubts about the nature of this visit because the latter reminded more of a photoshoot than an official visit. I think that the same is true in the given situation. So far something (I do not know what exactly) prevents her from performing solo engagements in Denmark. Morocco, in this case, can be seen as a more comfortable placefor Princess Marie to carry out a foreign solo engagement. I do understand concerns about costs though.

I firmly believe that Marie being new to this job, she did not have a chance to shine on her own yet. This may be a "light weight" mission for some but she has to start somewhere.
Danemark is not and should not solve the issue with the orphans. It is a charm offensive but much better than nothing. Her visit may encourage the local aristocracy to get involved and improve the little ones' lot in life.
I never believed that the Queen or the consort should be sent. Again, we have to wait and see how this goes. She will be assigned more and more duties and as she gains a better knowledge of the Danish language and royal skills she will do more and more. I like Marie a lot and wish her well.

I fully agree with Odette. Princess Marie has to start her apprenticeship ( I can not think of a better word) programme somewhere.

It is my impression that her command of Danish leaves at lot to be desired for solo engagements .. yet! Princess Marie did say some time
after the wedding, that the Danish lessons have been few and far between. And mind you, Danish is not the easiest language around!

I'd imagine that the Danish foreign dept. made a request for a Danish royal to be present at this & that arrangement in Marocco, and the Palace saw it as an opportunity for Princess Marie to fly the flag without facing any language traps. I for one think that the royal court is acting wisely in this respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering Denmark's very poor relations with the Muslim World I think it's excellent see Marie embarking on a trip to an Arab muslim country so soon.

I agree, I think it shows that the Danish Royal Household are prepared to trust Marie with quite a diplomatic mission. They clearly hold her in high regard and trust her not to make a faux pas ... and of course being french-speaking, she can communicate with the Moroccans in one of their languages ... I'd go so far as to say this is the most senior solo OS trip by a Danish princess in recent years ...

And handing out toys is the answer or rather I should say a small answer? If Denmark wants to "strengthen ties" with the Muslim world it may be a smarter idea to send the Queen or someone of higher rank than Marie to Morocco.
I'm sure a visit by Queen Margrethe would go down like a lead balloon after her offensive comments in 2005.

Moreover, the visit is as uncontroversial and altruistic as possbile and if covered properly by the media may be used as an effective means of countering Denmark's negative image.

If Marie conducts herself properly (as I'm she will) then this trip could be one of the most important undertaken by the Danish RF in many years imo.

I'm sure a visit by Queen Margrethe would go down like a lead balloon after her offensive comments in 2005.

I simply don't remember the Queen making any offensive comments in 2005 or other years for that matter. What were her comments in 2005?

Without touching on it too much, Lilla, Her Majesty voiced an opinion (2006*) in regards to religious radicalism and that she thought mirgants should make the effort to improve their Danish skills so as to better intergrate into society.

Certainly not an issue up for debate within the confines of this forum, but that is an extremely brief overview in response to your question. Whether percieved as inflamatory or not, that's entirely at the indaviduals discreation which is why some believe the comments to have been offensive.

I think that we need to remember that this is Princess Marie's first big foreign visit. The task is small, but it will really brighten up the lives of those orphans, and that is the most important thing.

Handing out toys would be the most "important undertaking"? Um, okay.
Let me recap for you:

Denmark doesn't have a very positive view in the Muslim World and ultimately in the long-term it cannot continue. No country can afford to isolate and cut off 1.6billion potential customers. Therefore the images of a Danish princess, handing out toys to under-privileged muslim children, IF picked up by the Arab media and other muslim countries could prove very powerful indeed.

None of the Danish royals have done anything to address this issue through visits or speeches etc and a sufficient time period has elapsed (IMO) for something to be done without it being viewed cynically.

If Marie's visit proves to be successful then it has the potential of changing the views of a lot of people who wrongly see Denmark as some sort of threat.

It's fascinating that this discussion already fills 5 pages. I mean... it's just a single solo engagement of Marie. It's not like this is going to be her very last and the most important thing she'll ever do.
I don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal out of this.
Marie has been asked to do this and she agreed.
That's the whole story.
I think if any other Princess had been asked to do this engagement there wouldn't have been even a single comment.
Sorry, but I just really don't why everything Marie does has to be criticized... no matter if her fashion or her engaments.

Mandy has cleaned up the Marie thread in the Danish Forum and moved relevant posts into this thread.
Rather than continuing the argument about Lego, orphanages, beer, Muslims, Margrethe, Mary, Marie, Joachim, Alexandra etc etc the thread will remain closed until closer to the event or until more information becomes available.

Warren
Morocco moderator

new date for Marie's visit to Marocco: 10-11 November
H.K.H. Prinsesse Marie overrækker på et børnehjem i Rabat kl. 11.30 en gave fra Legos Charity Fond til marokkanske børnehjem

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! I am glad that they have rescheduled this visit. Hopefully, it will happen this time.

Here is the article and part of the translation

Princess Marie, for the first time represent the royal family when she visited Monday in Morocco. Marie will be received and accompanied by the 46-year Moroccan princess Mariam. Twice princess M will visit the Andalusian Garden at the fortress town Oudaya before the tour moves on to an orphanage in Rabat, where Princess Marie hand over a gift for a total of 3,500 boxes of Lego, which converted is 3 tons of the popular bricks, the Lego Charity Fund to orphanages throughout Morocco.
The visit is an important part of strengthening relations between Denmark and Morocco.

Princess Marie arrived today in Morocco, there is planned a photo opportunity at the airport on arrival. The Danish Royal Court has been announced today that she is pregnant

She will arrive at 19:30h

Once again I am looking forward to seeing photos of Moroccan princesses wearing magnificent caftans and European clothes. I hope that Lalla Meryem will be assigned to perform this engagement.

Are there any photos? I tried to find some on this site, but didn't have any luck. Is Marie staying in the royal palace, or is she in a hotel?

Are there any photos? I tried to find some on this site, but didn't have any luck. Is Marie staying in the royal palace, or is she in a hotel?
nothing yet sgl:rolleyes:
i guess (i am not sur)she'll stay in one of the royal residences,the king do that (give the royal palaces to his guest) all the time and with all the royal,and VIP guests.

Thanks, Mademoiselle Lilo! I think Princess Marie is very lucky to be able to meet Lalla Miriam and to be able to stay in the royal palace. The Moroccan royal palaces are so beautiful (one of the most beautiful in the world, IMO).

Thanks, Mademoiselle Lilo! I think Princess Marie is very lucky to be able to meet Lalla Miriam and to be able to stay in the royal palace. The Moroccan royal palaces are so beautiful (one of the most beautiful in the world, IMO).
yes , she is lucky to meet our princess , and our king is so generous !
but stiil waiting for pic :bang:
thanks madmoiselle lilo to help as:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom