Moroccan Royal Names and Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It could be.... Lalla = Laidy ?

It could be.... Lalla = Laidy ?

Exactly Paty, in Arabic, "Lalla"=Lady is like a title given to female members of important families, not only Royal families. It comes from the Berber language of North Africa.

Just like the Portuguese Dona. The Queens were always Rainha D.Isabel, or Rainha D.Maria which would translate as Queen Lady Isabel etc.
In polite conversation women are addressed as Senhora dona, but Dona and the given name is for the aristocracy. Whereas for men Dom is for the aristocracy (some, that is those that have the right to be called this with their given name) and prelates.

Lalla is just a way of having respect for a woman. I'm a moroccan and I call all the elder ladies 'lalla'.

In reality it's not just lalla Salma. It's Amira Lalla Salma. And Amira is like princesse.

Lalla is just a way of having respect for a woman. I'm a moroccan and I call all the elder ladies 'lalla'.

In reality it's not just lalla Salma. It's Amira Lalla Salma. And Amira is like princesse.
yes thats true ,we call lala to the women just to respect her , its just a way to respect others some poeple call the grandmother 'lala'

You're absolutely correct about Amira. I have learned a bit of Arabic from some of my friends from Saudi Arabia, and they have taught me "Amira", which means princess.

Lalla in morocco like some members said before mean Lady in english and Dona in spanish (I meanfor royal women)it's definitely title that use to give to royal woman until her birth.
we use it too to call old ladies or just someone who is respectful,it's way to be polite,lalla for women and moulay or sidi for men.I don't know the historic Origin of the title but it's very old tradition...maybe I'll do some search about.

Last edited:
It is a nice tradition that is for sure. I hadn´t realised that moulay or sidi was the version for men. We learn something new every day, that is why this forum is so interesting.

Hey, why every woman in Morroco have the name 'Lalla'?
good question. me too, i don't know why they add this surname "lalla" to their names ;)

as far as i know, lalla is one of the famous indian mathematician and astrologer and also it's an european name. i read somewhere it's amazigh term of respect. and in morocco, they said it's equivalent to "lady". in old days, slaves/servants couldn't call their patron lady' first name lonely without this "lalla". and young ppl use it also to call olderly women or grandma. if it's for olderly ppl, it's ok. but as all human being are equal, and the first name is enough, there is really no need to add this surname. but in MRF and some moroccan families, they use this "lalla" for females, "sidi" and "moulay" for males, to have respect .. as they can't have respect without these surnames??!! :nonono:

for the crown prince, he is called "smit sidi = sidi's name" .. i don't see the point from ppl not having the right to pronounce his real name Hassan. and if by chance, someone hears "smit sidi" and he doesn't know the boy' name, he has to guess his name bewteen hundreds of names .. isn't it funny? this sounds mysterious and making life complicated :blink:

and since couple of years, the situation is even more disappointing, since no one in morocco can have "officially" this "lalla, sidi, moulay, amira or mira (meaning princess) ..." as a first name (or part of it) than the royal family. isn't it bad :mad: :angry: this is really violation of the right of parents to choose freely the name of their child, plus of that wanting to keep "respect" terms only for themselves :furious:

Hey, why every woman in Morroco have the name 'Lalla'?
as Zineb explain it's old tradition here in Morocco to call lady 'lalla' the man'sidi'or'moulay',it's offical title for MRF,i don't know the sources or the origines some say amazigh some saye it's jews not sur,i am only sur that moroccan monarchy is very old and like to keep touch with traditions:flowers:

well, first i don't support such "traditions" which make ppl different or superior than others, and the MRF have made these restrictions of these titles only recently. so, yes they like to keep with traditions but only for themselves bcz they want only them be called that way. i think ppl can ask for a lot of "unnecessary" things, which somehow may think make them "superior humans". i also read somewhere these titles restrictions are because the MRF are "descendants" of prophet mohammed. if so, does "lalla" has any arabic origin or ever used before in arab gulf regions? ;)

i'm really curious about ppl who says they are "descendants" of prophet mohammed, based on what they said or written in old books. we can believe it and that's all. but since it's not written in a sacred book, then we can believe or not. in our days there are scientific studies about the migratory history of the humans by using laboratory and computer analysis of DNA contributed by ppl. do you have any idea if anyone who says he/she is "descendant" of prophet mohammed, have contributed to such studies?

i can comment on the law you mention Zineb i am not law expert,i know that 'lalla' and 'sidi' still used and alot in street when ppl to each other and no law can stop that i am sur.
as for name Amira and Amir i think you are not accurate here as my 10 month nephew name is Amir:wub:
about the DNA analysis who claim to be descendant of prophet mohammed is very good idea,i totally support it.

yes, mademoiselle lilo, in street ppl use this "sidi" and "lalla". but the point is see how the law is making the distinction "officially". as for the name amira and mira (not amir), i'm sure i saw them somewhere in the list of the forbidden names. not sure for the name amir (i didn't say it's forbidden). i would like to see again this complete list if someone have it. i think they are available at birth certificate' offices and moroccan consulates abroad.

if with Amir there is no problem i don't think that will be for Amira but not sur don't care alot about the list Zineb,i know names like Aya who is in the list but alot of ppl named their kids Aya..

yes, IF amir is allowed, amira should be.
i believe you that your nephew is named amir. but i'm not sure that amir and amira are allowed names.

titles by inheritance aren't important. to me, the most important is who we are, what we achieve and what we feel about ourselves and our family :flowers:

Hello - could someone please tell me why Lalla Salma is only a Princess, when her husband is King? Why is she not a queen?

:previous:
Lalla Salma is the first king's wife to get the title of princess and have public role its huge step for the ruling family in Morocco,the king say once in an interview that in Islam there is no queen at least in Morocco (alot disagree with him).i honestely think this just the first step for a huge change in the MRF and in futur sure there will be the title of queen.

Lalla Salma is the first king's wife to get the title of princess and have public role its huge step for the ruling family in Morocco,the king say once in an interview that in Islam there is no queen at least in Morocco (alot disagree with him).i honestely think this just the first step for a huge change in the MRF and in futur sure there will be the title of queen.

I think creating her Queen would have been 1 step to far to soon.

Josette :flowers:

I think you are right Mademoiselle Lilo. Lalla Salma is a great princess with all of her works. I hope she can become a Queen one day. I think it will depend on the King.:);):)

I doubt that the royal family will ever give a title Queen.
personally, I think only those born royals should get the title King/Queen, those who marrry into the family should get the title prince/Princess even if their other half becomes King/Queen.

Do we know how long this visit is for? and I hope that we do get a picture or two of Salma with Sheikha Mozah.

Thanks...

Mademoiselle Lilo - thanks for your response. Lalla Salma is an educated as well as active first lady. Her work will make her worthy of the title "Queen". :flowers:

Lalla Salma is the first king's wife to get the title of princess and have public role its huge step for the ruling family in Morocco,the king say once in an interview that in Islam there is no queen at least in Morocco (alot disagree with him.
Are you saying in the past the wife of the ruler never received any title?

wel no rchat,no title they are called mother of the prices only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt that the royal family will ever give a title Queen.
personally, I think only those born royals should get the title King/Queen, those who marrry into the family should get the title prince/Princess even if their other half becomes King/Queen.

Do we know how long this visit is for? and I hope that we do get a picture or two of Salma with Sheikha Mozah.

Why? thats bias in my opinon.Its like there no way for a woman to be Queen at all! If she the oldest of the king's children then her rightto the throne are taken the moment she is born and if she marries into the family she gets the wonderful title of "princess" making her equal rank of her daughters and sisiters-in-law. i am just saying.

Why? thats bias in my opinon.Its like there no way for a woman to be Queen at all! If she the oldest of the king's children then her rightto the throne are taken the moment she is born and if she marries into the family she gets the wonderful title of "princess" making her equal rank of her daughters and sisiters-in-law. i am just saying.
She is married to the king so she outranks the other women regardless of titles. I hope eventually - assuming there will still be any monarchies - that the regent is King or Queen and the spouse is titled Prince or Princess.

She is married to the king so she outranks the other women regardless of titles. I hope eventually - assuming there will still be any monarchies - that the regent is King or Queen and the spouse is titled Prince or Princess.

How so if she a princess and their a princess Also

i also read somewhere these titles restrictions are because the MRF are "descendants" of prophet mohammed. if so, does "lalla" has any arabic origin or ever used before in arab gulf regions? ;)

i'm really curious about ppl who says they are "descendants" of prophet mohammed, based on what they said or written in old books. we can believe it and that's all. but since it's not written in a sacred book, then we can believe or not. in our days there are scientific studies about the migratory history of the humans by using laboratory and computer analysis of DNA contributed by ppl. do you have any idea if anyone who says he/she is "descendant" of prophet mohammed, have contributed to such studies?

Lalla is never used in the gulf or other Arab countries and its meaning is unknown. Id guess it has Berber roots but im not sure.

DNA projects on a large scale are being done. You can find more details on this here :

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f96/royal-descendants-from-the-prophet-mohammad-26875-2.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom