Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Official Visit to Morocco - February 23-25, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"23 February 2019
Kensington Palace (UK)
Court Circular

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex this afternoon departed Gatwick Airport, London, for Morocco and were received this evening upon arrival at Casablanca Airport by The Crown Prince of the Kingdom of Morocco and Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Kingdom of Morocco (His Excellency Mr. Thomas Reilly). Ms. Heather Wong and Miss Amy Pickerill are in attendance.

-------------------------------------------------------------

24 February 2019
Kensington Palace (UK)
Court Circular

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex this morning visited Education for All, Dar Asni 3, Lotissement Al Amane, Asni, Morocco. Their Royal Highnesses afterwards visited the Lycée Qualifiant Grand Atlas, Province d'El Haouz, Asni. The Duke of Sussex, on behalf of The Queen, this afternoon held an Investiture at Dar Asni 1, Centre Asni, Asni. Their Royal Highnesses this evening attended a Reception given by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Kingdom of Morocco (His Excellency Mr. Thomas Reilly) at the Residence in Rabat.

------------------------------------------

25 February 2019
Kensington Palace (UK)
Court Circular

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex today carried out engagements in Rabat, Morocco.
Their Royal Highnesses this morning attended an Equine Assisted Therapy session at the Royal Equestrian Club, Dar Essalam, and were received by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Kingdom of Morocco (His Excellency Mr. Thomas Reilly).

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex later attended a cooking demonstration at Villa des Ambassadors, 322 Avenue Mohammed VI Souissi.
Their Royal Highnesses afterwards attended a social entrepreneurs' event at Jardins des Oudayas, Kasbah des Oudayas.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex this afternoon were received by The King of Morocco at the Royal Palace."

So is there no departure ceremony or photos this visit also?

There were pics of them leaving, saying goodbye to the King and Crown Prince and then being driven away in the King's Mercedes ...Twitter

LaRae

Morocco has definitely been busy with tours right now.

Whirlwind trip but really enjoyed watching it. :flowers:

Harry and Meghan both really seemed to enjoy the horses. What a wonderful riding program to go and learn about. I loved the comment Meghan made about the pony being a bit camera shy :D

The trip to the market was great. I am a huge cat lover, so I love the not one but two cats (one on the stairs and then the one sleeping on the carpet). Shows cats really don't care who you are, they know who is boss :cool:

Lovely gifts at the market including the necklace. Beyond the gifts, it seems they bought a leather pouf. I liked the touch of the box, but also the photo the box maker showed. He has given a box to Charles and now one for Harry.

The interaction with the chef was great. I love that he and Meghan exchanged cook books with each other. And the invite for them to come dine at his restaurant.

Meghan and baby were definitely not taking dainty royal bites. They certainly enjoyed the meal they were given.

Lovely visit with the king to end the day. Wish we saw more of the Moroccon royals, and more photos of that all together.

All in all I have really enjoyed this tour.

I missed the cat on the stairs. Could you link? Also, I love the Meghan and Harry really ate and did not just nibble.

I missed the cat on the stairs, as well. As far as I am concerned, cats being cats always are a good addition to royal tours. I'd love to see a link as well, since when I looked, I wasn't able to find the photo on my own.

I saw a cat..but not on stairs...it was laying on the carpet at the market in front of one of the vendors...

LaRae

:previous: That's the only one I saw, too.

Schoolchildren said the the Duke of Sussex did not know 2 words of french and the Duchess knew a little more

The Queen , the Duke and Prince Charles are speaking french fluently. Why not Harry.

Wonderful Promotion of Haute Couture Pregnancy dresses.

Here's a video of TRH The Duke and Duchess visit to the 'Education for All' boarding house in the High Atlas Mountains.

Schoolchildren said the the Duke of Sussex did not know 2 words of french and the Duchess knew a little more

The Queen , the Duke and Prince Charles are speaking french fluently. Why not Harry.

Wonderful Promotion of Haute Couture Pregnancy dresses.

Meghan is conversational in French and fluent in Spanish.

Neither of the Wales boys appear to know much French r...I assume this wasn't something they were pushed to learn while in school. Perhaps it wasn't felt necessary...or maybe they just didn't want to learn it?

Secondary languages are not really encouraged in the U.S. either except perhaps in certain areas or types of schools (private etc).

LaRae

Here another picture of the cat on the stairs ?
https://i.postimg.cc/g0cc0Khk/10256292-6741887-image-a-80-1551096049852.jpg
So many photos on instagram of this visit and can't catch with all of the posts,it prove the mini tour was a big success :flowers:

My favourite part was the visit to Asni and the cooking session with Chef Moha,the meeting with RF too.
Princes Harry promise he will back for another visit i just hope very public one not on pravite like he said :D

There were pics of them leaving, saying goodbye to the King and Crown Prince and then being driven away in the King's Mercedes ...Twitter

LaRae

I meant at the plane/airport today, not leaving the King's home last night.:flowers:

Meghan is conversational in French and fluent in Spanish.

LaRae

My experience with Americans is that they often tend to overestimate their language skills, so I take qualifiers as "fluent" or even "conversational" with a grain of salt.

Meghan lived in Argentina for a while after graduating and studied for a semester abroad in Madrid, so I suppose it is far to say that, at least, she had a concrete opportunity to perfect her Spanish skills. I am not so confident about her "conversational" ability in French although she is said to have gone back to learning the language formally in recent times.

Last edited:
i think her "conversational" skills in french were tested in this visit and with the little of french the Duchess did well,the language communication was not an issue during this visit,i read that some british media have concern that during the visit to the school in Asni the royal couple will face a communication problem as the girls speak only french and the Couple are not that fluent in french but all went well the girls could make a converation in english and also some french with both Meghan and Hary(saw that in the visit video)

Am I right in thinking that meeting the King was not part of the original itinerary?

My experience with Americans is that they often tend to overestimate their language skills, so I take qualifiers as "fluent" or even "conversational" with a grain of salt.

Meghan lived in Argentina for a while after graduating and studied for a semester abroad in Madrid, so I suppose it is far to say that, at least, she had a concrete opportunity to perfect her Spanish skills. I am not so confident about her "conversational" ability in French although she is said to have gone back to learning the language formally in recent times.

We have heard her speaking Spanish in the past few months and native Spaniards (now living in the UK) said she was fluent with a perfect accent.

It seems like she was fairly accurate in her self assessment of her language skills.

LaRae

I wish she would had met the wife or ex wife of the King! Is it true nobody knows where is she?

Is any video where we can listen her speaking Spanish and French?

I wish she would had met the wife or ex wife of the King! Is it true nobody knows where is she?

I found one video on YouTube, which is actually a scene from Suits where she speaks Spanish. It is not spontaneous speech then, but rather words that she memorized from a written script. Her pronunciation and fluency look pretty good though despite some occasional grammar mistakes. For example, at one point she clearly says "mentiendo" as the gerund of "mentir" (cf "lying" in English) whereas the correct form in standard Spanish would be "mintiendo".

The corresponding form in Portuguese BTW would be "mentindo" (pronounced, however, with two weird nasal vowels, and with the final 'o' actually pronounced as /u/, so it actually sounds very different from "mintiendo" in Spanish). In Catalan, one would say "mentint" and, in Italian, it would be "mentendo" (I think).

Last edited:
It is not the brand new Duchess , but the Duke of Sussex does not speak french and the Duke of Cambridge I don't know.

According to reporters on Twitter the 'former' wife of the King lives on a Greek Island. No idea if it's true.

When Meghan visited the retirement home for actors a few months ago there was video posted here of her speaking Spanish and also comments from the resident(s).

LaRae

I found one video on YouTube, which is actually a scene from Suits where she speaks Spanish. It is not spontaneous speech then, but rather words that she memorized from a written script. Her pronunciation and fluency look pretty good though despite some occasional grammar mistakes. For example, at one point she clearly says "mentiendo" as the gerund of "mentir" (cf "lying" in English) whereas the correct form in standard Spanish would be "mintiendo".

The corresponding form in Portuguese BTW would be "mentindo" (pronounced, however, with two weird nasal vowels, and with the final 'o' actually pronounced as /u/, so it actually sounds very different from "mintiendo" in Spanish). In Catalan, one would say "mentint" and, in Italian, it would be "mentendo" (I think).

Several native speakers she has met have said she is fluent in Spanish as has Meghan herself. I hope we get an opportunity to hear her speak.

And many younger Americans now (yours truly included) speak multiple languages fluently either because of family or schools/immersion. Meghan went to top notch schools that require foreign language, studied IR and studied abroad plus lived in a part of the US where Spanish is frequently spoken.

Harry doesn't speak any second language and William's French is truly terrible. Not sure why the Wales' Brothers have not been more pushed to learn languages, but honestly I don't know too many Brits who speak more than one language.

I really enjoyed this tour overall. The media seemed pleased as well. Ambassador Reilly was over the moon with it and quite the fun chap!

Last edited:

I really enjoyed this tour overall. The media seemed pleased as well. Ambassador Reilly was over the moon with it and quite the fun chap!

It's interesting...I don't think I've heard one negative comment from the press pack that went...seems like it went about perfect.

LaRae

do you have the youtube video links? I would love to hear how she speaks:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom