Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Official Visit to Morocco - February 23-25, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I find it interesting that they're visiting Morocco a week after Felipe and Letizia have visited from Spain. I guess it has nothing to do with the country closest to Morocco in Europe :whistling:

I'm going to chalk it up to schedule with the Moroccan government, but yea, the timing. :lol:

And now Pope Francis will be visiting Morocco one-month after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's visit.
?

:previous: Hmmm, fascinating political/ geopolitical angle, what with Brexit in the works. And it was HM Foreign Office which requested this upcoming visit by H&M, so surely the visit is part of a chess move meant to foster goodwill in this current climate of political maneuvering and uncertainty in the region.

When was the last time a member of the RF went to Morocco? Charles I think?

Charles and Camilla went in 2011 before the royal wedding.

ĖCharles and Camilla visited after the royal wedding on july 2012.

Morocco and Britain enjoy very good relations and very old ones,so the exchange of visits is very normal.. i am sure the Duke and Duchess visiting is exciting on many levels but can't see them coming to discus a political matter ( very delicate one like this mentioned in article) as far as i know British royals are not allowed to discuss politic (so we in TRF :D)

Last edited:
Charles and Camilla visited after the royal wedding on july 2012.

Morocco and Britain enjoy very good relations and very old ones,so the exchange of visits is very normal.. i am sure the Duke and Duchess visiting is exciting on many levels but can't see them coming to discus a political matter ( very delicate one like this mentioned in article) as far as in know British royals are not allowed to discuss politic (so we in TRF :D)

They went in April 2011, a few weeks before the royal wedding. Camilla made a joke about the tattoo she got being a good look for the wedding.

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalt...a-duchess-of-cornwall/prince-charles/morocco/

2012 was Jubilee year and Charles and Camilla traveled the commonwealth realms.

So i missed up the date sorry,i really thought that was after the royal wedding..thanks for the clarification.

Morocco and Britain enjoy very good relations and very old ones,so the exchange of visits is very normal.. i am sure the Duke and Duchess visiting is exciting on many levels but can't see them coming to discus a political matter ( very delicate one like this mentioned in article) as far as i know British royals are not allowed to discuss politic (so we in TRF :D)

Some soft power diplomacy will do ;)

Last edited:
I can't see the the visit of the Duke and Duchess related with the others happening in same period
as someone above mention above Morocco amd Britain have good relation and as a new memeber of the family the BRF want to show her around and represent her to the world especially before a long maternity leave...that visit is a lovely occasion for Meghan to meet follow royals nothing more...the visit would be well covered yes but in the end a 6th in the line visit is no same as an actual monarch or a Pope

“Harry and Meghan’s Moroccan itinerary[emoji1173]
- Feb 23: Guard of Honour at Casablanca Airport
- Feb 24: @EFAMorocco (who provide education opportunities for girls in rural areas), meeting students at Lycée Qualifiant school in Asni Town, evening reception in Rabat hosted by @TSAReilly.”

“- Feb 25 (Rabat): Royal Federation of Equestrian Sports, cooking demo at Villa Des Ambassadors (where under-privileged children will learn traditional recipes), meeting young entrepreneurs event at an arts and crafts market in the Andalusian Gardens (pic) #RoyalVisitMorocco[emoji1173]”

Seems the MRF are not involved in this visit..
We may anyway see a reception offred to them by one of RF member..i hope so anyway
Programme sound intersting i am looking forward to see them in Asni as it's my hometown (not living there anymore unfortenatly)

Seems the MRF are not involved in this visit..
We may anyway see a reception offred to them by one of RF member..i hope so anyway
Programme sound intersting i am looking forward to see them in Asni as it's my hometown (not living there anymore unfortenatly)

I wonder if this is the reason we haven't had any solid confirmation on details from KP. They briefed the press a few days ago but have not posted anything on KP twitter about the trip. I wouldn't expect a full diplomatic reception from the Moroccan royal family, but I thought at least one representative.

I can’t wait!

I can’t wait!

Me either. I've been checking updates from the Ambassador, and it seems he's on pins and needles and just as excited as us. If for nothing else, I hope the trip goes well for him, because just by following him, he gives a glimpse into what it entails for these types of tours. I can imagine the embassy in Rabat must be buzzing right now.

Me either. I've been checking updates from the Ambassador, and it seems he's on pins and needles and just as excited as us. If for nothing else, I hope the trip goes well for him, because just by following him, he gives a glimpse into what it entails for these types of tours. I can imagine the embassy in Rabat must be buzzing right now.

I kept seeing his tweets about the planning, but I didn't check to see who exactly it was tweeting. I thought it was just a journalist relaying things and being excited to take a trip abroad. I started laughing when I realized that it was the actual Ambassador. He's so excited! I hope it's a great trip for all involved, but especially him, since it seems that he's putting in a lot of work to make it a fun and educational trip.

(Educational in the sense of showing outsiders what Morocco has to offer and the charities/people working in the country)

I kept seeing his tweets about the planning, but I didn't check to see who exactly it was tweeting. I thought it was just a journalist relaying things and being excited to take a trip abroad. I started laughing when I realized that it was the actual Ambassador. He's so excited! I hope it's a great trip for all involved, but especially him, since it seems that he's putting in a lot of work to make it a fun and educational trip.

(Educational in the sense of showing outsiders what Morocco has to offer and the charities/people working in the country)

Yeah, from his excitement alone, it makes me want to take a trip to Morocco. I've never been, but his enthusiasm is rubbing off. Perhaps on my next European vacation, I will schedule a jaunt to Spain and fly out from there. I know a lot about the country (Education/International Relations and Foreign Policy Major and Work), but it would be nice to get a different POV, albeit a royal one.

Last edited:
What time are the Sussexes expected to leave London? Is it official HM Government plane they depart on?

Tomorrow sometime.

LaRae

Due to recent violence in Rabat has caused security forced to deem that doing any walkabouts by Meghan and Harry would be a risk to their security.

Yes...I've been reading about what is happening in Morocco. I am wondering if security is such an concern, why not let Harry go alone and his 7 months pregnant Meghan stay home.

Don't ask me why I think this way but I think Meghan wouldn't take too kindly to staying home. She's committed to this trip and with faith in security measures being taken, she's not going to miss it. I don't think even Harry could talk her into not going. Only way she'd stay home is if her security told her she *had* to stay home.

Just my thoughts. I don't know Meghan or how she thinks but this is how I picture her.

I agree with you as well. But on the other hand...it makes me nervous. No wonder KP has not released the details on their official social media pages. There must be A LOT going on in the background!

My first gut reaction is that they would have canceled the trip for a different time when things quieted down a bit but logic told me that with so much gone into the preparations so far, they may have to rework some things (such as eliminating walkabouts) and perhaps restructure some things to add more security but the show must go on.

Its pretty wise to not release exactly where H&M will be at specific times due to safety concerns.

It’s become a worrying habit of the hierarchy sending Meghan and Harry to places in the midst of conflict or potentially very dangerous zones. The visit to Ireland during the peak season of the Boyne commemorations being a case in point, and now the riot-ridden zone of Rabat. Presumably timings of these short-notice royal official visits to foreign countries are always agreed between the British government & Senior Palace officials. It only takes one determined person with a point to prove during heightened tensions, to cause immense harm. Just so irresponsible of the powers that be, IMO

This trip has been in the works for quite a while and was publicly announced in the beginning of February. No one could have predicted the problems that happened recently.

They're sticking to the schedule as much as they possibly can without taking unnecessary risks. It'll go just fine. ?

But there were no security issues on the Ireland trip as they had large crowds and did walkabouts.

Prince Charles and Camilla also visited Morocco safely after there had been protests as well.

My concern is with Meghan being 7 months pregnant and going on this trip in the current circumstances.

But there were no security issues on the Ireland trip as they had large crowds and did walkabouts.

Prince Charles and Camilla also visited Morocco safely after there had been protests as well.

My concern is with Meghan being 7 months pregnant and going on this trip in the current circumstances.
…. and Queen Letitia and King Felipe very recently !

Back
Top Bottom