HH Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan (1918-2004)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Desert Weeps

Today the palm shed her tears
On news of a distant, whom in our hearts remains near
How are his children, when on them tragedy fell?
Our tears showered a dry desert until it be wet
We lost a wise man, a heroic man, he was our father
Yes we lost him and so did all humanity
Zayed of you there be pages of love in history

A caring Shaikh
Who taught a nation love and kindness
Oh father of the land, her past and present
You gave the land all her splendour

If death is a bridge over which you have crossed
To befriend you in death, impatiently we wait
God denies gifts and grants gifts generously
Though never has Allah given a greater gift than Zayed
Or denied us a more valuable gift than Zayed
And never was a nation happier than among Zayed
Or wept more than on the loss of Zayed

From A. N. Al Nahyan

In time of silence
The mosques are silent now.
The last quavering notes
Settle into a whisper
On the warm Arabian night.
The streets lie still,
No impatient sounds of man and machine
To shatter this moment
in time as a nation weeps.
Tendrils of silence
Brush past,
At once alarming yet reassuring,
A bird cries into the night, and settles again.
Such silence.
He flew as the falcon.
Straight, true,
Visionary,
Pitching, soaring, riding the winds
Of time,
So sure of his course,
Father to his people.
A man amongst men.
I knew him not,
Yet I know him well.
He taught us all
The lessons of dignity, humanity, compassion.
Statesman of the world,
Shaikh Zayed, I salute you.
And now as dawn breaks,
And the Eastern rays peep over the peaceful sea,
I wait for the mosque call
To bring me comfort
As I, too, gently weep.
From Ms C. Grainger
Fujairah

"The Desert Weeps" really made me weep. I was completely taken by this and another poem written by an expatriate. Interesting initials indeed. Does anybody know who this A.N Al Nahyan could be? Sheikh Zayed has a son named Nahyan right? Could be one of his grandchildren?

Last edited:
You let us shine

A stranger that I was, you welcomed me
Into your midst; dignity that was sore
And almost lost once, you regained for me;
And for others too who reached your shore.
No one you returned empty-handed
Hard work we gave, blessings you shared
We felt at home in your midst undoubtedly,
More than we did in our own lands.
When the glitter and perils of the world
Fast deplete human qualities; great leaders
Hard to come by; you shone well above all
Those who forgot the values they vowed to stand for.
In you we found a true human to the core
A leader envisioning only the best for his people
Where our own leaders failed to inspire and guide
We found inspiration and guidance in your simple self.
We were blessed to feel your love and care for people
I wish we could carry a little spark from your vision
If that little spark could spread like fire
In a world that thirsts for leaders like you.
It is a Father that we have lost with your death
Adopted we may be, nevertheless we mourn with
Your sons of this land a land we wish and pray
Will continue to shimmer and shine the Zayed way.
From Ms T. Anthony
Abu Dhabi

La la,tank you for posting these beautiful poems.I want to add Sheikh Mohammed`s eulogy for Sheikh Zayed.

For My Father, My Leader, My Teacher

I never imagined that one day I would have to write an obituary for my master, father, teacher and leader. Nor did I ever imagine that my soul would announce the passing of the man who filled my soul with his brilliant presence until it merged and melted into his soul, becoming part of him as he became my whole existence and the essence of my soul.

By Allah, if death would accept a ransom, I would sacrifice my life for Zayed. If years of life could be offered, I would grant him the years of my youth and the sweetest days of my life.

O Merciful Allah! We submit to Your Will and Judgment with contented and acquiescent hearts but we are truly bereaved and the departure of our dearest beloved causes our hearts to bleed.

O Wise Allah! We accept Your Will but we are deeply wounded by the loss of the man You chose to lead our homeland, he upon whose hands rose the country, to which he was so faithful.

What words, what expressions can convey our anguish and our enduring affection for a lifetime we lived with Zayed, knowing no leader but him, no teacher of his stature, no head of state of his solidity, wisdom, patience, resolve and dignity?

Sheikh Zayed is absent in body, but his soul and memory will live on forever, inspiring us, giving us strength and pushing us forward.

The body is absent, but our Sheikh is ever present in the state he built, the nation he established and the example he set.

The body is absent but our Sheikh is still present in the factories, farms, parks and beaches, in our children’s first steps to school, university and workplace, on the first page of the homeland’s book, in the first line of the anthem at the hoisting of the flag.

O Sir whose influence extends from Ma’rib Dam to the precincts of the Aqsa Mosque, from the banks of the Nile and the Tigris to the schools, universities, mosques and factories throughout our vast Islamic world.

Wherever we turn, O Master, we see you in the eyes of your people, which sparkle even more with tears, revealing a never-ending reserve of love and an inexhaustible spring of loyalty.

Whichever way we turn, we hear your voice, so dear to the soul, and your words, vibrant with the essence of wisdom, love, advice, guidance and good counsel.

With you, my Master, our souls towered, our resolve flew high and the Emirates held its head high among the states of the world.

How can we not be proud of ourselves when we have you, the pure Arab, the true Muslim, the leader who inherited all virtues and added to them, the politician who combined politics with principles and morals, upholding them among his people and nation both in thought and deed.

How can we not be proud of ourselves when you have steered the homeland’s ship through turbulent seas and gales and, with your steadfastness and vision, led it to safety and security.

You are absent, my father, from our sight, but you are still present in the warmest, fastest-beating and most intimate corners of the hearts because yours was a noble story running through the veins of history and the homeland, a story comprised of your achievements, character, convictions, virtues and good deeds, which are known far and wide.

“Allah always loves those who are loved by their fellowmen.”

I bear witness that you have won the love of your people, of our Arab and Islamic nations, as no other leader has. We take solace in the fact that you will always be with us, existing in your faithful sons and loving people.

We take solace in the inheritors of your virtues, Sheikh Khalifa and his brothers.

We take solace in the foundations you established as permanent sources of good deeds, an endorsement of a saying by our prophet (may peace be upon him): “A human being’s deeds end with his death except for three: steady charity, useful knowledge and a righteous son who prays for him.” You, our great departed beloved, have all three and more.

We promise you, Sir, we shall always be as you wanted us to be: a consolidated and loving family.

We shall give without limit, take the side of justice, reject injustice and work in this land for the good of our country and our countrymen and for the progress and dignity of our nation.

“For Allah what He has given and for Allah what He has reclaimed. Everything with Him is by appointed date.” And we are satisfied with the Will of Allah, accepting what has befallen us. We do not speak except to utter that which pleases Almighty Allah. “But give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere, who say, when afflicted by calamity: ‘To Allah we belong and to Him is our return.’”

Thank you, Samira! May I know where did you find this eulogy?

Last edited:
Very beautiful pictures of Sheikh and children.I love to see these pictures.

Attachments

• z9.JPG
    z9.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,510
  • Ibn4.jpg
    Ibn4.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 502
  • 15_2.jpg
    15_2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 508
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 389
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,391
  • 02_uaeday5.JPG
    02_uaeday5.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,440
  • 220.jpg
    220.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 423
  • z17.JPG
    z17.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 451
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 2,259
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,422
Last edited:
Hope you like them.One of his hobbies was hunting and loved falcons

Attachments

• zayed.gif
    zayed.gif
    11 KB · Views: 2,141
  • zayd36.jpg
    zayd36.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,352
For everyone who loved sheikh zayed, u can all give your condolences now.

http://www.sheikh-zayed.info/index.asp
With profound sadness we have learned of the passing of His Highness Sheikh Zayed on Tuesday 2 November, 2004. This brings to an end a remarkable period in which Sheikh Zayed led Abu Dhabi and the UAE from being a relative backwater to become a modern nation.

In every way, he is considered the father of the nation. Last night, in the UAE Capital, this writer witnessed nationals and expatriates alike in tears on hearing news of Sheikh Zayed's death. The cities of the Emirates had an almost surreal atmosphere, deserted roads and silent streets in contrast to the chill sounds of muezzins reciting Koranic verse from every mosque. The cities, like their people, seemed to mourn our shared loss.

At a time of national mourning it is hard not to intrude into the loss that the Al Nahyan family feels. But as citizens - nationals and expatriates
alike - of the United Arab Emirates, it is hard not to have an outlet in order to reach out to the family that Sheikh Zayed has left behind.

Today we have opened an on-line Book of Condolence. At the end of the official 40-day mourning period, a complete copy of this document will be sent to the office of the President and various Federal and Abu Dhabi Government departments. We hope that, in some way, it will help those who are close to Sheikh Zayed to feel that tens of thousands of people share their sense of loss.
this site has been visited
2480301 times
http://www.sheikh-zayed.info/index.asp

La La,here is the picture of Shk Shahbut.On the second pic the man in the middle is Shk Khalifa and on the right is Shk Zayed` brother Shk Hazza.

Attachments

• shkb.JPG
    shkb.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 3,616
  • zayd.JPG
    zayd.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
Thank you, Samira! :) It is the first time I see Sheikh Shakhbut. :) Thanks a lot! I'm actually a big fan of his. I realise he was not as progressive and visionary as Sheikh Zayed but I do love his candour, grace and humour. ;) How many brothers and sisters did Sheikh Zayed have?

La la said:
Thank you, Samira! :) It is the first time I see Sheikh Shakhbut. :) Thanks a lot! I'm actually a big fan of his. I realise he was not as progressive and visionary as Sheikh Zayed but I do love his candour, grace and humour. ;) How many brothers and sisters did Sheikh Zayed have?
Yes,Shk Zayed was very much ahead of his time,he was a man of brilliant vision.Sheikh Zayed had three brothers;Shahbut,Hazza,Khaled.Zayed was the youngest one.Dont know about how many sisters he had.I think Shk Shahbut resembeles Zayed a little.

Attachments

• shkb2.JPG
    shkb2.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 451
samira said:
Yes,Shk Zayed was very much ahead of his time,he was a man of brilliant vision.Sheikh Zayed had three brothers;Shahbut,Hazza,Khaled.Zayed was the youngest one.Dont know about how many sisters he had.I think Shk Shahbut resembeles Zayed a little.
One sister who past away about 2-3 years ago.She was older than shk zayed but they were really close.

If I am not mistaken her name was Mariam.

Guess Who said:
Yes, and she has one son called khalifa.:)
Do you know who was her husband ?Her son is Khalifa bin ...who? :)

Last edited:
Guess Who do you know why Ali Salim Al kaabi is wearing this belt with cartridges?I thought these belts are for guard but he`s the Director of Zayed`office.

Attachments

• z.JPG
    z.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 430
Some beautiful pictures of Sheikh Zayed

Attachments

• zayed1.JPG
    zayed1.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 582
  • zayed2.JPG
    zayed2.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 640
  • zayed3.JPG
    zayed3.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 517

An eternal light

You were a Father of the people
Of a nation and a region
You spread the light and the ray of hope
In many a heart both far and near
Your vision and mission were amazing
Which turned the nation into splendour and grandeur.
Your words, wisdom, kindness, mercy and action
Were the key to success and opened many a new door.
Your words and actions opened and cured
Many an ailing nation and hearts.
By taking you away from our midst
He has left a vast space which no one nor time can fill
But one thing is for sure that the light and rays left by you
that have lit up many a heart and lives, homes and nations
will glow forever in your memory
And the footsteps left behind by you will be followed
By one and all, all around the globe
And neither time nor money can erase these
As these are footprints of love, affection, dedication all in one.
May your soul rest in peace.

From Mr. P.V.K. Baglodi
Sharjah

Last edited:
Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed
14/11/2004

When the news of the departure of the man behind the UAE broke, gloom descended over the country. Sheikh Zayed is the heart of the UAE.. He is the father, founder and establisher of our great nation. He was a visionary leader of unlimited giving and loyalty. His endless contributions to the development and progress of our country made us what we are today. He left an empty space in our lives and the loss can never be compensated. Sheikh Zayed is undoublty one of the greatest leaders history has ever witnessed. He has done so much for his people. He was an inspiration, a symbol of love and compassion. He created morals to our nation and strengthened our values and principles to advance the UAE. One of his great achievements are the continuity and unity of the UAE as well as the love of his people which is clearly reflected after his demise. He enhanced our lives, transformed the country and gave support to people in need all around the globe. May Allah reward Our father Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan with eternal paradise.
--
Words cannot express the sorrow and grief we are living.
One night, I decided to visit the grave of Sheikh Zayed to read al fat7a, to soothe the agony we were in. As I was at it, I glimpsed Sheikh Mohammed sitting alone, holding the Quran and reading in silence. After he finished reading the holy book, I walked up to Sheikh Mohamed to mourn him for the loss of his father. The expression on his face spelled out the bitter feeling that filled his heart. I guess he too saw the sorrow from my face ,when I nosed him ,he kissed me on my cheeks. That eased my pain so much. It was then and there when it struck me. At the death of his beloved father, he was there to console our emotions of distress. It was comforting to see how caring and concerned an honourable man like Sheikh Mohamed is at such a heart aching and breaking tragedy.

Thanks, Samira. The latter part of the text brought tears to my eyes. Who wrote it?

Message of condolences

I, Ephram sadly and grieviously would like to express my heartfelt condolences to the people of UAE upon the passing of Almarhum Sheikh Zayed. Indeed he will be remembered and may God bless his dear soul. Amin.

Thanks for the link. He's a photographer? I assume that anyone who wants to visit the grave in privacy for some quiet, peaceful moments like Sheikh Mohammed should to go there at night.

Thousands line-up to pay tribute to Zayed
By Muawia E. Ibrahim

ABU DHABI — Thousands of people, citizens and expatriates continue to turn up at the grave of the late president Shaikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan at the Grand Zayed Mosque in the capital to pay tribute to the great leader.

An average of 1,000 visitors a day have used the e-condolence book set up at the site recently by the students of the Men's College. Many more have been accessing the site at www.highercolleges.com.

The touch-screen computer system was developed and implemented by the students and staff of the college as a gesture of their profound respect and great love. Visitors may leave their personal tributes in memory of Shaikh Zayed.

It has been observed that during his lifetime, Shaikh Zayed led the growth of the UAE from "Sand to Silicon". Today, the UAE is a global leader in the implementation of technology or the betterment of mankind in education, health, industry, government and environment. This innovative project draws upon the very technologies that Shaikh Zayed valued and encouraged in his enduring quest to enhance the human condition, according to statement by the college. The messages posted by visitors will be maintained in perpetuity as a reflection of a nation's everlasting gratitude to its beloved father as part of the National Archives.

The book is the brainchild of students at the Abu Dhabi Men's College. Visitors can express their feelings and record their prayers for the soul of Shaikh Zayed on a touch-screen, especially designed for the purpose. Open to all members of the public, the screen has been set up to make it easier for those who did not find the chance to express their grief on his death.

Any person wishing to express his feeling towards the father of the UAE can do so by using a special pen on the screen, which can accommodate millions of signatures and messages and can be referred to at any time by Internet users.

Thousands of people to form human heart in Abu Dhabi

Thousands of people to form human heart in Abu Dhabi ABU DHABI, 28
Oct. 04 (WAM) –Thousands of UAE citizens and expatriates will join
hands on 10 December in front of Marina Mall in Abu Dhabi to form
the largest human heart under the theme +World is in Zayed's heart+.

The gesture comes within the country's celebrations to mark the
national day and in recognition of Sheikh Zayed's noble initiatives
in offering support to the needy inside the country and abroad.

The event to be held under the patronage of Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed
Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of State for Foreign
Affairs and Chairman of the UAE Red Crescent Society, RCS, would be
brought about by the Higher colleges of Technology, HCT, in
collaboration with the UAE RCS and the Emirates World Heart Group,
EWHG.

This announcement was made before his passing away. But will this event take place as scheduled or have they postponed it? Will both men and women be joining this event?

Back
Top Bottom