Styles and Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nahla10

Aristocracy
City
Zurich
Country
Switzerland
I've a few questions about the titles of the dubai ruling family:

1. Is Shaikha Shaikha now a Royal Highness as she is married to His royal Highness Shaikh Nasser or is she still "only" a Highness?
2. I think men can gain titles from their wifes (such as daniel of sweden became a prince after marrying princess victoria) so is Shaikh Mohammed now Royal Highness from the side of his wife HRH Princess Haya? (Of course he's known as Shaikh Mohammed but I wonder if actually got a Royal Highness after marrying Haya?)
3. Is AlJalila a Shaikha or Princess? or both?

1- Even if Bahrain is a kingdom, the king is the only one having a royal name, the other members are still Sheikhs & Sheikhas.
2- No, Sheikh Mohd didnt gain any title from his marriage to Haya, he's still his highness the sheikh.
3-Sure, Aljalila is a sheikha cause she's the daughter of a Sheikh even if her mother is a princess :)

Last edited by a moderator:
well i can give you an answer for two questions..
shiekh mohammed does not get a tittle from marring Haya as women follow men with tittles not the other way around..
aljalilah is a shiekha as again she goes after her daddy but sheema is a princess not a shiekha

Thanks for answering I thought Aljalila might be a princess since the princess and the HRH-titles are "higher" than the Shaikha and HH-title.
Well about bahrain: I thought all of the kings sons are Royal Highnesses but like HRH Shaikh Nasser not Prince Nasser. But I was wrong only the crown prince is a Royal Highness all his other kids are only Highnesses.
This whole thing is quite difficult lol :D

well i can give you an answer for two questions..
shiekh mohammed does not get a tittle from marring Haya as women follow men with tittles not the other way around..
aljalilah is a shiekha as again she goes after her daddy but sheema is a princess not a shiekha
Sheema is a Sheikha since her Dad is a Sheikh not a Prince.

1- Even if Bahrain is a kingdom, the king is the only one having a royal name, the other members are still Sheikhs & Sheikhas.
In October 2009 King Hamad created his son Sheikh Salman a Prince with the style of Royal Highness.

Why Princess Haya Is not Called Shekha ?

so shkha is for normal girl to princess ? i mean when normal girl become shekha

:previous:
Generally speaking:
A Princess is the daughter of a King or a Prince and is usually but not always 'royal'.
A Sheikha is the daughter of an Emir (eg Sheikh Mohammed, Ruler [Emir] of Dubai), or a Sheikh. A ruling Emir is in effect a Prince but not styled as one.

In Bahrain only the Crown Prince is formally styled 'Prince'; The King's other children are Sheikhs and Sheikhas.
King Hamad of Bahrain was previously the Emir of Bahrain. In 2002 Bahrain became a Kingdom. Thus royal and emirati styles are mixed.

I don´t want to be picky but Princess and Sheikha are NOT the same,just like Duke or Princess,they are all royal titles but they shouldn´t be confused:

Empress/Emperor and Prince/Princess ->Empire like in Japan
Princess/Queen-Prince/King ->Kingdom (like Jordan)
Sheikh/Sheikha-Emir->Sheikhdom/Emirat like UAE (Emir means something like ruler/leader,they come from a chosen tribe or family which is usually quite big with lots of children)
Duke/Duchess-Grand Duke->Duchy like Luxembourg

actually the word Amir means prince /malik means king! :)

Does Emir have some military connotation?

actually the word Amir means prince /malik means king! :)

Really? I was told it means ruler,I thought the Emir is the most powerful man of the country- so it would be not logical if it meant Prince,because Prince is less (usually younger) than a king/ruler/emperor etc. But I don´t speak Arabic and maybe there is no proper translation because in the Middle East the whole government and monarchies work completely different & have other hierarchies than in the West...

Emir means prince but it's only used in Qatar. Cause i've never heard another ruler called Emir.

I'm sorry I disagree with you, you see in my opinion sheikh and prince or Sheikha and princess is the same thing because in the UAE there are 7 emirates and 6 ruling or royal families. They are not tribal sheikhs, a tribal sheikh is when a sheikh rules over his tribe. Some families like AlAmry for example have a sheikh in their tribe that sometimes talks on behalf of the tribe. There is a difference between ruling families which I consider royalty and tribal sheikhs. The UAE 6 ruling families are sheikhs or princes. Sheikhdom= is very much similar to kingdom. They rule just like kings or princes. They don't rule their tribe. The UAE is a monachary not a tribal colony.

I´m sure you have greater understanding about Arab royalty and governing styles,but for me the title Prince only applies for sons of a King or a man who marries a Princess...but I guess it doesn´t make much sense to compare Western and Arabic monarchies,because they are very different in many ways...

Emir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I decided to go looking for myself and found the article. It makes a good deal of sense to me. I don't like to disagree with Sally1234 but... there are other emirs in other places beside Qatar. For instance, the United Arab Emirates, it's called that because it is a group of territories ruled by emirs which have formed a larger country for the common good. There are 7 emirs involved. That seems a fair example.

I do agree with Blauerengel, it is almost impossible to equate Eastern and Western rulers. They don't translate neatly one into the other.

If I am wrong, please correct me. I have studied a bit of this but am by no means an expert.

The Rulers of the Trucial States were referred to as Emirs. When the Trucial States formed the United Arab Emirates the term 'Ruler' came into fashion and to a large extent replaced the use of 'Emir'. For example, Sheikh Mohammed is known formally as the Ruler of Dubai. As Dubai is an emirate rather than a sheikhdom, he is also the Emir.

So what about Crown Prince Hamdan? His wife is going to be princess or sheikha if his wife would be out of country?

To my extent of knowledge, if his wife is non-Emirati, she is not going to get any title. Just like his father's wives.

To my extent of knowledge, if his wife is non-Emirati, she is not going to get any title. Just like his father's wives.

They would get a title "Sheikha" only if he officially marries her.
If he marries and not make it official, then she does not get a title, if they have children, then they will get a title only.

If hamdan married a commoner what would her title be ? Crown princess or just sheikha ?

If hamdan married a commoner what would her title be ? Crown princess or just sheikha ?

Her title will not change. It remains at is was before the wedding. Her family name also does not change (if she not be a member from the al Maktoum family). The titel "crown princess" does not exist in UAE.

Even if she wasn't a shiekha befor she will be titled shiekha ..
Shiekh Zayed's wife Fatima was not a shiekha befor her wedding but she was and is since her wedding titled as shiekha.

hm....... I think we have to ask the moderators of this thread for an correct answer. I don´t want to give you an answer, which will be not true or only half. In the case of Sheikha Fatima (3rd wife of the late Sheikh Zayed) the right is yours, but only on a half side. Because: Sheikha Fatima was the daughter of one of the Sheikhs from the Bani Qitab tribe, their tribe from different clans/sections consisted. So she is a Sheikha from birth. Another example from the past is the mother of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Khalifa al Nahyan (ruler from Abu Dhabi from 1855 to 1909 and grandfather of late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan al Nahyan).She was the daughter of Sultan bin Nasir, the highest-Sheikh of the Sudan tribe. In this way (from her father and not from marriage) she was a Sheikha too.

In modern times also I have never heard, that someone referred the second wife of Sheikh Saeed bin Maktoum al Maktoum as Sheikha Natasha (Sorry, I forgot her given muslim name) for example. Maybe the traditions from the past differs from to the traditions today. Who can explain this issue for modern times definitely??

Last edited:
We have solve the "Sheikha-title-problem". ;) The situation is as follows: In modern times the title "Sheikha" can be obtained in two ways:
a) you´re the daughter of a Sheikh
b) you get married officially with a Sheikh

Important when b) is:
First: a "commoner" receives the title "Sheikha" only if she is an official wife and the marriage was also officially. Wives from secret marriages are not be titled as "Sheikha". But a child from this kind of marriage can be titled as "Sheikha" (or "Sheikh") (see a)).
Second: that the title of the official´s wife not be higher than the title "Sheikha". Example: If someone has the title "Princess" before the marriage, it remains on this title because it is set higher than the title "Sheikha".

So the answer of lady blue in post # 284 was absolutly correct from the beginning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom