Styles and Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aren't sheikha and princess essentially the same thing?
I will try and converse with her through her facebook account and find out her name and everything. If she isn't willing, I will delete this thread. If she is, I will keep it. But that girl most definitely is the best looking UAE sheikha I have seen

Aren't sheikha and princess essentially the same thing?

No, it isn´t. The title Princess is higher than the title Sheikha. Princesses are royals, because there is a king, from whom they are descended directly or related in any form. Sheikhas are non-royals, but female members of a ruling family which often govern a region or/and a country since several generations.

Last edited:
This is interesting. Why do they call them members of the royal family then?

The Al Maktoum family calls themselves the "ruling" family not the "royal" family and most senior members of the Ruling families do not like the idea of being called royal. Maybe because royalty is a system/idea of the Western world while the UAE families are descendants of local Bedouin tribes (like the Bani Yas) and therefore they have very different mindsets and ways of governance compared to European royals.
For instance we have primogeniture or we have a rule that the first-born son must take over from the ruling monarch (King/Queen) while in the UAE or also in other Middle Eastern Ruling families (like Qatar) the Emir or the head of the family is chosing who is most suitable for taking over his position.
You may compare it to the situation in a family-run business,usually the head of the company who knows everyone and knows their ability and strengths will chose who leads the company when he/she is retired.

In traditional Royal families it is different, there is a little bit of a gamble because the firstborn or the first son is heir to the throne even if he is not the best person to fill this role.(There are different rules in different nations, most European RF allow females to inherit the Crown while in Japan only men are allowed to inherit the Chrysanthemum throne.)

To make things more complicated:In Jordan (a Royal family with Kings & Queens) they also use the tribal way of chosing a Crown Prince instead of the European first born/first son rule.

When they use the term Crown Prince for Sheikh Hamdan it is actually a little bit confusing because he will never become king. "Heir apparent" is a commonly used description for such a position which would be less misleading.
Nevertheless some young Sheikhas or Sheikhs often get called "Prince/Princess" or they sometimes even like to be addressed with that title.

Hope that my explanation helps to clear up some misunderstandings :flowers:

Last edited:
blauerengel: You hit the nail! I agree with you! Your explanation was perfectly in all its points.:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Nevertheless some young Sheikhas or Sheikhs often get called "Prince/Princess" or theysometimes even like to be addressed with that title.

I don't see that happening.....Do you know a specific example? (the bold print is meant)

Last edited:
I don't see that happening.....Do you know a specific example? (the bold print is meant)

Not in the UAE, but I know a few Arabic sheikhs & sheikhas who like to be called Prince/ Princess when they are in Europe even though they are not members of a royal family that carries such titles :ROFLMAO:
The sheikhas of the UAE seem to be more down-to-earth and often don´t want people to know that they are from the ruling families.

Last edited:
Not in the UAE, ..... The sheikhas of the UAE seem to be more down-to-earth and often don´t want people to know that they are from the ruling families.

Anything else would have been very surprising .... It´s never happened that one of our Sheikhs want to be addressed with the title "Prince". During private travels abroad they keep their identity hidden as far as possible.

Last edited:
I think the Sheikha is just a royal highness only. it is not going to give any royal highness to their husband.

If Sheikh Hamdan becomes the ruler, will his wife be the First Lady of Dubai? Just like Sheikha Hind is.

If Sheikh Hamdan becomes the ruler, will his wife be the First Lady of Dubai? Just like Sheikha Hind is.

Yes, the "First Lady" usually is the most senior spouse of the head-of-state. So when Sheikh Hamdan becomes the head-of-state indeed, we may expect his future spouse to have the same role as Sheikha Hind.

Havin said that, the "First Lady" (Sheikha Hind) has a lower profile than his current (sixth) spouse, Princess Haya of Jordan...

Hmmm... I think if she is a public wife and hopefully the only wife, then she will have a big profile.

What is regarded as a higher title; princess of First Lady?

What is regarded as a higher title; princess of First Lady?
The higher title is princess. Haya belong the royal family of Jordan. Thats why she is still called "Her Royal Highness, Princess Haya of Jordan".

In UAE we dont use denomination "First Lady" as a title. But if so I think First Lady should be the wife of the President of UAE and ruler of Abu Dhabi.

Last edited:
First Lady is no title but a denomination. The most important person is the head of state, so logically his wife is "the first lady", sharing his precedence and standing in society. But it is just President and Mrs Trump. Officially the title does not exist. Compare it with naming Charles "crown prince". The UK has no such title. But everyone knows what one means.

Well Yeah... she is the daughter of a king but the first wife of the Emir is considered First Lady in the ruling family.

Emir is equivalent to King
First Lady equivalent to Queen in their ruling family

Emir is equivalent to King
First Lady equivalent to Queen in their ruling family

no Emir is equivalent to sovereign-prince his consort would be Emira which is equivalent to princess , Emir and Emira is the arabic translation of prince and princess .

The word for king in Arabic is malik not emir. Lets not forget theres also a religious aspect to all of this. Many UAE royals prefer for the female members of their families to maintain a discreet existence outside of the public life. Sheikha Mozah & Princess Hayas public profiles is a break with tradition but although they represent their countries at their husbands side none of them are so called first ladies a position thats never really existed in that part of the world before.

Last edited:
no Emir is equivalent to sovereign-prince his consort would be Emira which is equivalent to princess , Emir and Emira is the arabic translation of prince and princess .

Amir/Emir, meaning "Lord" or "commander-in-chief", is derived from the Arabic root a-m-r, "command". Originaly simply meaning commander-in-chief or leader, usually in reference to a group of people, it came to be used as a title for governors or rulers, usually in smaller states, and in modern Arabic is analogous to the English word "prince". In UAE 'Emir' is used for ruling tribal chiefs, usually considered high-ranking shaikhs.

Last edited:
If Dubai did have King and Queen, how would the city be different and are there any possibilities of the emirate becoming a kingdom... what would your reaction be if it did?

Back
Top Bottom