Sheikh Muhammad's marriage to Princess Haya & her role in Dubai

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
El Jood said:
she represented UAE in an endurance ride in England and she is with Sh. Mo publicly for official duties

1. she didn't represt UAE .... she represented Jordan instead you can go and check it ....
2. Haya was with Sh. Mohammed as his wife ...following him but not a representing UAE... she can never represnt UAE even if she will attend and think she is represnting uae ppl... she cant because they DON'T ACCEPT her in the 1st place and the 1st Lady...
he might back her up...but one day all this will end and you will remmber my words.....
and i hope soon
This is just so typical, the view of a uae local which is sad and pathetic.People here got furious, literally, when he married her, throwing sarcastic rough jokes about her and Jordanian ppl, these jokes made Mo so mad that he threatened to punish whom ever exchanges text messages involving these jokes, rumors said he did catch a bunch. There are 2 powerful newspapers here: "Al Kahleej" resides in Sharjah and "Al Bayan" resides in Dubai and it belongs to the government of Dubai or in another words to al Maktoums.In "Al Khaleej", they announced the wedding news on the first page in a tiny space hardly seen and through the days, this newspaper never did respect Haya.She appeared so many times whether with him or his kids, hardly mentioned and sometimes described as his wife only, no Royal Highness or anything which is very insulted. Another magazine, "Kul Ussra" is part of "Al Khaleej" newspaper, ignores Haya and the Royal Family of Jordan totally though in the last issue, theres a pic of her and Mo where she was mentioned as his wife HRH Princess Haya."Al Sada" is a part of "Al Bayan" newspaper, over the years they kept writing about Haya, so many interviews and reports about her. Otherwise, the media here isn’t giving Haya the credit she deserves or at least since she married Mo.The Dubai sport channel used to cover her activities a lot, I have an interview with her dates back to 2 years ago but since she got married, nothing here is about her. Just today, "Al Khaleej" released an issue about Mo being a crown prince of Dubai for 10 years, (with a poster too!), didn’t mention Haya at all while we see his spoiled kids here and there.

It is sad enough to say that uae locals here feel superior to other Arab nationalties, esp. Jordanians, Palestanian and Egyptians and is some less level to Asians. They only see Haya as a Jordanian who’s sucker for bucks. I remember when they got married, girls at college discussed that in a class, and it’s really a shame the way they are thinking. Frankly, though am a uae local myself, Haya deserves much better than Mo, she is educated and intelligent, her title is even higher than Mo's, Mo is only His Highness while she is a Royal Highness, good for her she didn’t change her title. She never wanted to represent the uae and she never said she would, I don’t see any royal women representing the uae at all, I've been living here my entire life and never saw any "Sheikha", we hear about them but never see them! Don’t tell me Sheikha Maitha,( the karate kid!), is in the press, in a couple of years she'll disappear. Bottom line, it doesn’t matter if locals here don’t accept her, as long as he accepts her and she is confident enough to do her duty. So Kudos to Haya!

Jorja Fox said:
This is just so typical, the view of a uae local which is sad and pathetic.People here got furious, literally, when he married her, throwing sarcastic rough jokes about her and Jordanian ppl, these jokes made Mo so mad that he threatened to punish whom ever exchanges text messages involving these jokes, rumors said he did catch a bunch. There are 2 powerful newspapers here: "Al Kahleej" resides in Sharjah and "Al Bayan" resides in Dubai and it belongs to the government of Dubai or in another words to al Maktoums.In "Al Khaleej", they announced the wedding news on the first page in a tiny space hardly seen and through the days, this newspaper never did respect Haya.She appeared so many times whether with him or his kids, hardly mentioned and sometimes described as his wife only, no Royal Highness or anything which is very insulted. Another magazine, "Kul Ussra" is part of "Al Khaleej" newspaper, ignores Haya and the Royal Family of Jordan totally though in the last issue, theres a pic of her and Mo where she was mentioned as his wife HRH Princess Haya."Al Sada" is a part of "Al Bayan" newspaper, over the years they kept writing about Haya, so many interviews and reports about her. Otherwise, the media here isn’t giving Haya the credit she deserves or at least since she married Mo.The Dubai sport channel used to cover her activities a lot, I have an interview with her dates back to 2 years ago but since she got married, nothing here is about her. Just today, "Al Khaleej" released an issue about Mo being a crown prince of Dubai for 10 years, (with a poster too!), didn’t mention Haya at all while we see his spoiled kids here and there.

It is sad enough to say that uae locals here feel superior to other Arab nationalties, esp. Jordanians, Palestanian and Egyptians and is some less level to Asians. They only see Haya as a Jordanian who’s sucker for bucks. I remember when they got married, girls at college discussed that in a class, and it’s really a shame the way they are thinking. Frankly, though am a uae local myself, Haya deserves much better than Mo, she is educated and intelligent, her title is even higher than Mo's, Mo is only His Highness while she is a Royal Highness, good for her she didn’t change her title. She never wanted to represent the uae and she never said she would, I don’t see any royal women representing the uae at all, I've been living here my entire life and never saw any "Sheikha", we hear about them but never see them! Don’t tell me Sheikha Maitha,( the karate kid!), is in the press, in a couple of years she'll disappear. Bottom line, it doesn’t matter if locals here don’t accept her, as long as he accepts her and she is confident enough to do her duty. So Kudos to Haya!
thanks jorja fox for the interesting post!!!

i am extremely perplexed as to WHY the uae press treats haya the way it does. if mo is so proud of his latest conquest-why doesn't he let the papers report on her, her accomplishments, visits and appearences??? but the fact remains-mo runs the media (gulfnews and al bayan, specifically) so it would lead me to believe that he is trying to downplay haya. yes, occasionally princess chubby cheeks gets published but not nearly on the scale that one would suspect.

and with regards to mo punishing the people sending the jokes-does that include his own children & confidants???

you say 'she is confident enough to do her duty'- what is that duty???? i keep waiting for all this education and experience and worldliness to manifest itself into something positive but all we get is some insipid bored housewife at yet another horsie event.

Last edited:
Jorja Fox said:
This is just so typical, the view of a uae local which is sad and pathetic.People here got furious, literally, when he married her, throwing sarcastic rough jokes about her and Jordanian ppl, these jokes made Mo so mad that he threatened to punish whom ever exchanges text messages involving these jokes, rumors said he did catch a bunch. There are 2 powerful newspapers here: "Al Kahleej" resides in Sharjah and "Al Bayan" resides in Dubai and it belongs to the government of Dubai or in another words to al Maktoums.In "Al Khaleej", they announced the wedding news on the first page in a tiny space hardly seen and through the days, this newspaper never did respect Haya.She appeared so many times whether with him or his kids, hardly mentioned and sometimes described as his wife only, no Royal Highness or anything which is very insulted. Another magazine, "Kul Ussra" is part of "Al Khaleej" newspaper, ignores Haya and the Royal Family of Jordan totally though in the last issue, theres a pic of her and Mo where she was mentioned as his wife HRH Princess Haya."Al Sada" is a part of "Al Bayan" newspaper, over the years they kept writing about Haya, so many interviews and reports about her. Otherwise, the media here isn?t giving Haya the credit she deserves or at least since she married Mo.The Dubai sport channel used to cover her activities a lot, I have an interview with her dates back to 2 years ago but since she got married, nothing here is about her. Just today, "Al Khaleej" released an issue about Mo being a crown prince of Dubai for 10 years, (with a poster too!), didn?t mention Haya at all while we see his spoiled kids here and there.

It is sad enough to say that uae locals here feel superior to other Arab nationalties, esp. Jordanians, Palestanian and Egyptians and is some less level to Asians. They only see Haya as a Jordanian who?s sucker for bucks. I remember when they got married, girls at college discussed that in a class, and it?s really a shame the way they are thinking. Frankly, though am a uae local myself, Haya deserves much better than Mo, she is educated and intelligent, her title is even higher than Mo's, Mo is only His Highness while she is a Royal Highness, good for her she didn?t change her title. She never wanted to represent the uae and she never said she would, I don?t see any royal women representing the uae at all, I've been living here my entire life and never saw any "Sheikha", we hear about them but never see them! Don?t tell me Sheikha Maitha,( the karate kid!), is in the press, in a couple of years she'll disappear. Bottom line, it doesn?t matter if locals here don?t accept her, as long as he accepts her and she is confident enough to do her duty. So Kudos to Haya!

You are about the second royal forum member from the UAE that has posted positive things about Haya. All the rest have been very negative, which of course is their opinion, but still. A few left me with the impression that none of the people of the UAE liked her. I even asked one UAE member why was it that they were so upset with PH, but I haven't gotten a reply yet. Far be for me to make anyone like someone they don't, but I just wanted to understand why was there such dislike for her.

It really is a shame that so many people let their personal dislike for Haya translate into such hostility and ill will against her.
She is an educated, smart woman who made a controversial decision by marrying Sheikh Muhammad. But it was her own decision. None of us have a say in it. So there's no point in bashing Haya and coming up with supposed reasons why she married her husband.
It is amazing that some of you actually wish her unhappiness in her marriage. I find that absolutely shameful and vicious. Haya isnt answerable to any of us.
She is the daughter of a Hashemite King. She has nothing to be ashamed of.
As for those peope in the UAE who seem to have a superiority complex, I hope Haya will ignore them completely. People like that thrive on gossip and tearing others down, it makes them feel better about themselves.

Jorja Fox said:

1. Let us talk about the media policy....This has been direted by sh. Mohammed and if he wanted her to be in media that would of been done but as far as i know it was his instructions.

2. The whole UAE ppl knew that he was under pressure when he married her... he has been seen with her since 2002 , she has been living in dubai and King Abdullah requeested that they should get married because alot or rumors has been going around. not forgetting that she has been working in dubai since that time.

3. UAE people are not against any other Arab nationalitu but its our culture we dont mix with other cultures and its the same So many Lebanse dont like getting married to syrians
so many Palestinians and ppl i know dont get married to jordanians plus they are close Geographical....Its is not common for the gulf people to marry from other countries is more common the marry from each other.... This is the Culture...

4.(( Haya deserves much better than Mo, she is educated and intelligent ))
this doesnt make her better.... King abdullah is Educated and intteligent look at the differnce between DUBAI and JORDAN and you will know who is really intelligent

5. ((her title is even higher than Mo's, Mo is only His Highness while she is a Royal Highness ))
This doesnt make her Higher the King Of Bahrain changed his Title In one day he was a sheikh he became a KING
each country has its own way in Giving titles and this is the way UAE gives the titles to the royal families.

6.(( I don’t see any royal women representing the uae at all ))
you definately don't read the papers, Sheikha Hind and other sheikhas in DUBAI and the UAE represnt the uae women and Strongly...but with no pictures and for sheikha Maitha you recognised her Just because of her pictures.

7.I've been living here my entire life and never saw any "Sheikha", we hear about them but never see them

I doubt that you live in UAE because ATLEAST everyday there is and event and a sheikha Attends in one of the emirates and as in dubai Sheikha Hind is almost once or twice a week in the papers (( without Pictures ))

8. it doesn’t matter if locals here don’t accept her, as long as he accepts her and she is confident enough to do her duty.

Beleive me it matters for her...how would she live in a place when people don't accpet her!!!!!
as for duty....she has one and it is being a wife Full STop nothing else.

Its not that we dislike her for no reason.... If your father married another lady would you like it>> I doubt it...sheikh mohammed is a father to each and every person in dubai.... and he always gave us the image of one happy family so its really sad seeing some intuder spoiling this....
I dont say she is the only one to blame but people love him and will love him despite what happens...
But would never love her... I think she has no ethics or morals...I cant imagen a princess doing so...selling her self into this.... just because of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
i used to admire her before,... but this really changed....
if she got married to a sheikh from the uae who is not married beleive me nothing of this would of happened it would be weired but it will be over but she got married to a man with a happy family and beautifl kids....
can you imagen how they feel????
Look at the situaion from all the angles and i am sure you will think differnetly even if you wont admitt it.

4.(( Haya deserves much better than Mo, she is educated and intelligent ))
this doesnt make her better.... King abdullah is Educated and intteligent look at the differnce between DUBAI and JORDAN and you will know who is really intelligent

I beg to differ in this instance...UAE has oil...Jordan doesn't. That is one of the main differences between the two as far as why Dubai is more modern than Jordan. I applaud KH and KA perserverance in trying to make Jordan a better place for its people. I'm sure if Jordan had oil bringing in money for them, they would prosper too.

Last edited:
El Jood said:
3. UAE people are not against any other Arab nationalitu but its our culture we dont mix with other cultures and its the same So many Lebanse dont like getting married to syrians
so many Palestinians and ppl i know dont get married to jordanians plus they are close Geographical....Its is not common for the gulf people to marry from other countries is more common the marry from each other.... This is the Culture...
If I were Princess Haya, I wouldn't want approval and accolades from people who think "outsiders" like her aren't worthy enough to marry sheikh muhammad.
Sure the UAE is more prosperous than Jordan and other Arab nations, but progress isnt just about how good a country is doing economically. Acceptance and tolerance of those who are different is also a big part of it. If Arabs treat each other in such a discriminatory manner, they have no right to complain when they're mistreated in the west.
Besides, if people in the gulf dont marry outside their culture, thats no valid reason to hate Haya. To me it shows a backwardness in thinking. This is the twenty-first century for heavens sake.

if she got married to a sheikh from the uae who is not married beleive me nothing of this would of happened it would be weired but it will be over but she got married to a man with a happy family and beautifl kids....
can you imagen how they feel????
Look at the situaion from all the angles and i am sure you will think differnetly even if you wont admitt it.
Why is the woman always to blame if she marries a polygamous man?
Are you telling me Princess Haya forced Sheikh Muhammad into marriage?
Polygamous marriages aren't that rare in the gulf or in the Middle East.
Why treat Haya's marriage differently? If Sheikh Muhammad was so content with his "happy family and beautiful kids" then he shouldnt have married Haya in the first place. It takes two consenting adults to enter into a marriage so dont put the blame squarely on Haya's shoulders.

I haven't been to Dubai but from what I have seen on TV etc it seems that it is becoming very cosmopolitan whereas Jordan, which I visited 3 years ago still has much of its ancient atmosphere to savour. The Jordan area is ancient and I doubt that Dubai has places like Jerash & Petra to offer. From what I have seen Dubai is famous for it's shopping and "modern improvements"

Perception of Haya in UAE

The bottom line is the two of them chose to marry one another. I am sure Sheik Mohammed's wife is highly respected and deservedly so. What happens next will be a matter between the family and its members. I was just looking at another forum a member of TRF asked me to look at where someone had posted everyone in Jordan knew everyone else in Jordan disliked QN and it was a disturbing thing to read as it ended up spreading some truly nasty rumors about her. Having known some Jordanians or those who have visited Jordan and spoken at length to Jordanians, that is not the case (the idea QN is universally disliked in Jordan in general; these rumors in particular). Whatever the feelings of the people of UAE, perhaps Haya will do some good works of her own on their behalf and will become accepted over time. I just try to shy away from speaking for all and speak merely for myself. Your opinion is sufficient and clear. Please feel free to keep all posted on the good works of Sheik Mohammed's first wife in the appropriate context and forum and also when and if you feel Haya has done something worthy of meriting respect within the UAE--whom I have heard are a warm-hearted and welcoming people, thus still, by and large, likely to give Haya this opportunity.

By the way, the photos posted are lovely.

Thank you,

Mary Shawn

Princess Haya is Jordanian .... Never was Emarati and never will be...
what ever she does she can't win their love
she is considered an outsider
The more she tries the more there will be people against her....
This is my opinion and what i see and hear from different Emrataies

SalSabeel said:
Princess Haya is Jordanian .... Never was Emarati and never will be...
Where is the problem then. She is Jordanian, she lives in Dubai because she is with her husband there. Isn't it normal?
SalSabeel said:
what ever she does she can't win their love
I don't see this either a problem, it's the husband love which matter and that's enough.
SalSabeel said:
she is considered an outsider
Normal, many emirati men married outsider women. I really wonder why???
SalSabeel said:
The more she tries the more there will be people against her....
This one I don't really understand it?! People go at the opposite of the wind direction?!
SalSabeel said:
This is my opinion and what i see and hear from different Emrataies
Above is also my opinion ... and I believe there are plenty of people who love Haya.

Last edited:
abir said:
Where is the problem then. She is Jordanian, she lives in Dubai because she is with her husband there. Isn't it normal?
I don't see this either a problem, it's the husband love which matter and that's enough.
Normal, many emirati men married outsider women. I really wonder why???
This one I don't really understand it?! People go at the opposite of the wind direction?!
Above is also my opinion ... and I believe there are plenty of people who love Haya.

TOTALLY agree with you Abir....;) I bet the person you quoted is going to comment on your post. This person is another "El Jood" if not the same person with 2 user names:D...

Haya Will Always be considered an unwanted person
not because she is jordanian no there are many people who marry foreginers, But in this case Haya married a MARRIED MAN who has only One OFFICIAL WIFE.
Just Imagen King Abudullah getting married to a second wife who is not from Jordan and queen Rania has done alot for her socitety people will no accept her because their love to Rania.
Its the same case here...People Love Sh. HInd and they hated this to happen to her....
I dont know why people here try to make it OK and right what haya has done...
Getting married to sh .mohammed this is something over but now she is trying to get into the Emarati Socitey which will never be accpeted
she just can't see how much they dislike her....
and never will love her

Hi SalSabeel,

I think many people here know any woman feeling if her husband gets married to a second wife. In another side, we are not in a position to discuss PRIVATE lives of others; since we don’t know why it happened and what happened for a specific couple.
As you agreed, polygamy is a social taboo in uae and in many other countries, so we can discuss it in Royal chit chat or in a separate thread within ME forum. It will be an interesting discussion without hearting anybody.

SalSabeel
I dont know why people here try to make it OK and right what haya has done.

I can't speak for everyone else on here, but what I have to say is this...Like I told another member on here once before, I can still like someone even if I don't always agree with some of things they may do or say..So yes, I still like Princess Haya, but her personal business is just that. With that being said, it isn't any of my business anyhow about the whos or whys of their relationship. I'm not saying the marriage is right, but I'm not going to say it is wrong, either. The truth be told, I'm not going to judge either way. It isn't my place to anyhow. I think I said that several times before as well. Besides, no matter how much people complain or moan about this marriage, what's done is done. They are husband and wife unless otherwise something should happen to change that. What I would like to know is this: Is Shk Mo the only important man in Dubai or the UAE with more than one wife?

Last edited:
Hi Someone....
I guess here its not because Sh. Mohammed is the most important person in dubai although he is...
nor because of PH
anyone else who would of been sh. Mohammed Second wife wouldn't be accpeted here because what i know people there love his first Wife Sheikha Hind....
Its is true this is their personal life but in sheikh Mohammed position he is a public person and like other royals some of his actions do effect his community.
Like in Kuwait do you know that if the mother is non Kuwaity or the wife is non Kuwaity they can never Rule Kuwait even if it was their turn
So in the UAE i guess people still can't accept their 1st lady to be a foreginer besides the reasons i mentioned earlier

SalSabeel said:
Hi Someone....
I guess here its not because Sh. Mohammed is the most important person in dubai although he is...
nor because of PH
anyone else who would of been sh. Mohammed Second wife wouldn't be accpeted here because what i know people there love his first Wife Sheikha Hind....
Its is true this is their personal life but in sheikh Mohammed position he is a public person and like other royals some of his actions do effect his community.
Like in Kuwait do you know that if the mother is non Kuwaity or the wife is non Kuwaity they can never Rule Kuwait even if it was their turn
So in the UAE i guess people still can't accept their 1st lady to be a foreginer besides the reasons i mentioned earlier

Hi SalSabeel. Welcome to TRF by the way. I would like to say thanks for responding intelligently, and without being rude. I guess it's how one looks at a situation, and take in account other factors, but I still say even a public figure should at least be entitled to have a private life. I can't see how the marriage might hurt the community. I can see how if may affect Shka Hind, but even then I say that cautiously because I really don't know how any of them feel personally because we don't have their say. Also, I thought Shka Hind was first lady, and PH is second wife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houri
I just don't understand when people in west try to dismiss our opinion about important people from our area and sharing with us the same culture :confused: .

I understand the differences between our cultures and I respect that and I hope you all do the same :) .

Very true, not only does everyone have the right to express their opinions without being totally dismissed, but since you are in fact expressing opinions of the people in your own area, your opinions are quite valuable indeed since you know better. I would implore you, El Jood, and Suria to please NOT stop posting just because you've been hurt by some, because there are others who are very much interested in your opinions. And isn't one of the points of expressing your opinions to get people thinking, to get a reaction no matter it be positive or negative? Please do not be disheartened, your opinions are well respected, those members who dismissed your opinions feel just as strongly about their own opinions that's why they came on a bit too strong, I'm sure they didn't mean to be rude or hurtful, it's just that when you are not face to face sometimes things can come out wrong. I hope you will continue to post and to share, sometimes you have to take other people in your stride, it doesn't make it right, but sometimes you just have to.

-Eliza

From watching the Dubai World Cup on the TV Mo's sons seemed quite keen on Haya. I'm sure that they respect their mothers place in Mo's life and her choices re not being socially visable. However, Mo does spend a lot of the time in our Western world and I am sure that Haya is an asset to him in that respect seeing that she was educated in Britain and shares his interest in things equine.

I must say that I was really impressed with what I saw of Dubai during the World Cup telecast & have made myself a note that I must visit next time I can afford to go to Europe. :) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally did not mean to be hurtful or disrespectful. I have to admit that I am a bit ignorant on this issue of polygamy. I thought that that was considered normal in Muslim countries and so I did not understand why some ppl were mad? If Islam allows up to four wives thant why is it an issue for Sheikh Mo to take Haya as another wife?

no need to be sorry Reina :)

In Islam if you want to have more than one wife you should be equalitarian to those wifes in every thing , you should treating them all in the same manner .
because of that a lot of muslims men have just one wife because it is difficult to be fair to them all .
I can understand that mo can offer to open more than one house and have more than one wife but I don't see that he can handle the affectional side and can be fair to all his wifes ( I am not sure if you understnad me ) but I can't believe that there is man in the world have more than one heart :)

Reina said:
I totally did not mean to be hurtful or disrespectful. I have to admit that I am a bit ignorant on this issue of polygamy. I thought that that was considered normal in Muslim countries and so I did not understand why some ppl were mad? If Islam allows up to four wives thant why is it an issue for Sheikh Mo to take Haya as another wife?

I wouldnt call it normal. I think in some ME countries it is common but in other Muslim countries its very rare and in others its banned. There are many Muslims, including scholars, who believe that polygamy has no place in today's society. It was prescribed during the early, chaotic days of Islam when the Muslim community was in it infancy and lived in an almost constant state of war and persecution. Polygamy was meant to extend protection at that time to women who had lost husbands, fathers etc and to prevent them from resorting to desperate means like prostitution. But that was 1400 years ago. None of those conditions exist now. But ofcourse that doesnt stop men and even women from living in polygamous relationships today.
As for Haya, when she first married Sheikh Muhammad, a lot of us were surprised that she'd enter into such a relationship. But that debate is over. Most of us agreed that she's an intelligent, independent woman who knows her mind.
As for certain members who seem to have a deep dislike of her, it has little to do with polygamy. Its just Haya-bashing for no apparent reason. Just like many other royals on this board have their admirers, they have critics. Im sure you know that some members only show up here to belittle certain royals, including Haya.

I've had a lot of discussions about the history of polygamy with my Muslim friends and what they said is very similar to what Humera says, but there was another reason, when Islam spread (and it didn't spread through violence, by the way, as is the common misconception) to outside the Arabia, there were many places where there were more women converting to Islam than there were men--Islam was probably the first religion to have a relatively modern view of women's rights, and women were granted a lot more equality in Islam than in other religions, this attracted many women to Islam along with Islam's other policies. Since there were a lot more Muslim women than there were men, there was a problem for them when the time came to marry. So, according to muslim's, polygamy like Humera said was meant to prevent women from resorting to desperate measures like prostitution. Polygamy does not really have a historical basis in the Western society, but history has shown us that that did not stop many western Kings and Presidents from physically using multiple women--there is no evidence of that in Islam. However, today a vast majority of Muslims are in monogamous relationships, those that aren't are required to treat all their wives equally. While, those that are in polygamous relationships are in the minoirty, they are more prominent to us because to us polygamy is shocking...don't mormons practice polygamy too?

I do agree, however, that members who have formed a negative view of haya, have not done so because she's in a polygamous relationship, I believe from the posts I have read that it's because Sheikha Hind is more loved and more popular and it's difficult because of this to accept Haya. There is a very similar situation in UK right now, Camilla may very well have been accepted had people not admired and respected and loved Diana. Because of their love and respect for Diana, people find it difficult to accept Camilla, especially since many feel that if they do accept Camilla they will be disrespecting Diana and her memory. As evidence of this: many Britons are okay with Camilla having the title of Duchess of Cornwall, but not with having the title Princess of Wales, which was Diana's title. Though Haya and Camilla are not by any means comparable, the situation they find themselves in as far as public opinion goes is pretty much analogous.

-Eliza

elizahawthorne said:
I've had a lot of discussions about the history of polygamy with my Muslim friends and what they said is very similar to what Humera says, but there was another reason, when Islam spread (and it didn't spread through violence, by the way, as is the common misconception) to outside the Arabia, there were many places where there were more women converting to Islam than there were men--Islam was probably the first religion to have a relatively modern view of women's rights, and women were granted a lot more equality in Islam than in other religions, this attracted many women to Islam along with Islam's other policies. Since there were a lot more Muslim women than there were men, there was a problem for them when the time came to marry. So, according to muslim's, polygamy like Humera said was meant to prevent women from resorting to desperate measures like prostitution. Polygamy does not really have a historical basis in the Western society, but history has shown us that that did not stop many western Kings and Presidents from physically using multiple women--there is no evidence of that in Islam. However, today a vast majority of Muslims are in monogamous relationships, those that aren't are required to treat all their wives equally. While, those that are in polygamous relationships are in the minoirty, they are more prominent to us because to us polygamy is shocking...don't mormons practice polygamy too?

I do agree, however, that members who have formed a negative view of haya, have not done so because she's in a polygamous relationship, I believe from the posts I have read that it's because Sheikha Hind is more loved and more popular and it's difficult because of this to accept Haya. There is a very similar situation in UK right now, Camilla may very well have been accepted had people not admired and respected and loved Diana. Because of their love and respect for Diana, people find it difficult to accept Camilla, especially since many feel that if they do accept Camilla they will be disrespecting Diana and her memory. As evidence of this: many Britons are okay with Camilla having the title of Duchess of Cornwall, but not with having the title Princess of Wales, which was Diana's title. Though Haya and Camilla are not by any means comparable, the situation they find themselves in as far as public opinion goes is pretty much analogous.

-Eliza

yes you're right. though I think that its one reason to not accept someone and totally another to disparage them and call them a homewrecker and gold digger. That just shows a meanness of character and nature.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
As for Haya, when she first married Sheikh Muhammad, a lot of us were surprised that she'd enter into such a relationship. But that debate is over. Most of us agreed that she's an intelligent, independent woman who knows her mind.
I'm not sure this is a representative view. :confused:

Its just Haya-bashing for no apparent reason.
No, I really don't think it is. Within the culture she is operating in, there are some legitimate reasons to criticize P. Haya. To call it bashing is an attempt, I think, to trivialize explanations and reasons that you may not agree with. But most of the people who hold these views either are nationals of the region or have lived there/worked there. So it is really quite unfair to discount these views. You may not agree, that is certainly your right, but to pull out the bash word is really a cheap shot and disrespectful to others who may actually have better information. :(

papillon said:

whether you agree or disagree, most people know she's an educated, independent woman, especially for someone who lost her mother at a very young age and didnt always have her father's undivided attention.

No, I really don't think it is. Within the culture she is operating in, there are some legitimate reasons to criticize P. Haya. To call it bashing is an attempt, I think, to trivialize explanations and reasons that you may not agree with. But most of the people who hold these views either are nationals of the region or have lived there/worked there. So it is really quite unfair to discount these views. You may not agree, that is certainly your right, but to pull out the bash word is really a cheap shot and disrespectful to others who may actually have better information. :(

Perhaps you haven't heard some of these so-called arguments? Im referring to those that are based on malicious hatred. I dont have to name names. It is bashing plain and simple. It has been going on for more than a year and some of the members who have engaged in it are either now banned or no longer post here. Those people were warned continuously by various mods and criticized by many members. Perhaps you dont have all the information about the people Im referring to. The so-called "this is our culture" argument holds Sheikh Muhammad responsible for nothing and lays all the blame on Haya as if she cast a spell on him, rendering him unable to use his head. In polygamous marriages it is often the women who are blamed as home wreckers. I have heard the argument that certain people dont like her because in the UAE, they dont like people to marry foreigners. The argument has often taken racial/racist overtones, ie, Sheikh Muhammad's first wife is better because she is of pure UAE blood and so are her children. Like there was even a UAE a hundred years ago. I wasnt born in the west and nor am a "westerner" but I know a narrow, superior, and backward point-of-view when I hear one. I dont care who says things like that. It is even worse when I hear things like that from fellow Muslims.

Well going along with the we shouldn't just bash the wives point that went on in another thread: I think ppl are looking at Haya too much. Sheikh Mohammed is a powerful, independent man. He wanted Haya as a second wife and now he has her. If you want to bash anyone bash him. Gosh I hope I did not impinge on anyone's cultural/geographical rights here.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
As for certain members who seem to have a deep dislike of her, it has little to do with polygamy. Its just Haya-bashing for no apparent reason. Just like many other royals on this board have their admirers, they have critics. Im sure you know that some members only show up here to belittle certain royals, including Haya.

Well said, Humera. I was thinking some of the same things.

papillon said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you, Papillion. I noticed that you began posting again recently because I hadn't read any of your posts in a long while. The point I'm trying to make is while you were not posting, there was bashing going on in PH's thread.....So much that it became one of the reasons the Middle Eastern forum was shut down, and some members were banned. I mean I agree, people are entitled to their opinions, but a lot of the stuff that was written went way beyond negative criticism. I don't have a problem with members not liking certain royals...that's their prerogative. I don't have a problem with members having negative opinions of certain royals...that's also their prerogative. It does become a problem when opinions go from being critical of someone to just an all out bash fest...unfortunately, that was what PH's threads had begun to turn into, and because of it, some members began to shy away from posting in her forum.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
whether you agree or disagree, most people know she's an educated, independent woman, especially for someone who lost her mother at a very young age and didnt always have her father's undivided attention.
Well, earlier you described her as intelligent, not educated. . .there's a difference between the two.

Perhaps you haven't heard some of these so-called arguments?
I've been a member of this forum for quite some time, so I am well familiar.

Perhaps you dont have all the information about the people Im referring to.
I do. It's been a visible issue.

sommone said:
I noticed that you began posting again recently because I hadn't read any of your posts in a long while. The point I'm trying to make is while you were not posting, there was bashing going on in PH's thread.....So much that it became one of the reasons the Middle Eastern forum was shut down, and some members were banned.
But I've been reading the threads all along, so I am as aware of these issues as anyone else who's been following this forum.

papillon said:
But I've been reading the threads all along, so I am as aware of these issues as anyone else who's been following this forum.

Great..then you are aware that there was indeed bashing going on particularly in PH's thread. So it isn't disrespectful of Humera to point that out. She's only telling the truth.:cool: :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom