Sheikh Mohammed's Children part 8: 20 January 2013 - December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed before that during her last birthday (18th?) she had 2 parties (or maybe one was for her 18th and the other for her 17th?) there were no siblings at either of them. Mo, of course, was present at one (which makes me think it was just 2 separate parties for her 18th) but there were no photos with siblings. I recall someone saying that she had been seen speaking to two of her sisters a few times at some events but none of the other siblings seemed to ever interact with her.

That said, I can fully understand why they may not interact with her. I personally have 3 half-siblings and I have only interacted with one via-mail a few times and the other 2 via-Facebook but I've not interacted with any in almost 2 years. It's hard to really "deal" with siblings you've never grown up with or who come from a different mother or father than your own. And, not to preach or get one a soapbox, but even if polygamy is accepted in the Middle East, I cannot even imagine how hard it must be for them to get along with their half-siblings when they probably know it must hurt their mother (even if she has been raised to accept it) to know their father has another wife and children. And awkward. And confusing. And... yeah. This is one reason why I'm hoping (most definitely wasting my time doing so) that Hamdan & his brothers choose monogamy - it saves a lot of drama, confusion and emotional turmoil for all. Just my opinion, of course - no offense intended at all or fight wanted. Please don't flame me! LOL

Last edited:
Yes, Um Kaltoum was deeply religious and therefore she carried the name of Prophet Mohammed´s daughter, but the word "Um" is used in the same way as in "Um Majid",the singer Um Kalthoum full name was ʾUmm Kulṯūm Fātima ʾIbrāhīm as-Sayyid al-Baltaǧī.Her father was an imam in a mosque and therefore he chose that special name.

But I don´t understand how Ahmed is turned into Abu shihaab?In Japan they sometimes connect a prefix at the end of the name if they want to say it very polite or if you use O, Go, or san prefix/suffix combination means someone else's; lack of it means it is yours. So there are different rules how to apply the suffix/prefix which sometimes copletely changes the meaning of the word. For instance in Arabic you have Salma BINT Mohammed (daughter of Mohammed) and than you have Khaled BIN Abdullah (son of Abdullah)-to an outstander it is only one letter difference! ... but how is the rule for non-married people?

The word umm means the mother off , umm Majid is the mother of Majid ... Um kalthoum is a proper first name for a lady just like Sara or Fatima it is not a nick name or a call name , it means the lady with full cheeks . But the word umm has the same meaning .

When a man is not married he is nick named Abu (what ever his father name is) , Abu meaning the father of. In some cases there are famous names with spesific call names attached to them like the name Ahmed is abu shihab unless he has a son or you call him after his father, for example if we take shiekh Ahmed bin Mohammed he would be Abu Mohammed (after his father) or Abu Shihab.
There are other names also but I can't really think of any.

Ahmed was born Feb 1984 :flowers:

Seems to be wrong, because Sheikh Maktoum was born in November 1983 (if my memory is correct). Since Sheikh Ahmed is his full brother (both have the same mother), he can hardly have been born in February 1984. In between there are only 3 months!

As I know, Sheikh Ahmed is born in February 1987 (the official homepage of the Olympic Committee of the Emirates mentioned this date also).

Last edited:
Um is a word for "mother of"+name of her oldest son,a honorary title that is sometimes used instead of her name-so let´s say we have Sheikha Hind we could also call her "Um Rashid" or "Um Hamdan" (because for reasons that have been already discussed enough in previous posts,Rashid is not in high esteem).

Shiekha Hind is called Um Rashid it is costum to be called by ur first child in this part of the world like shiekh Mohammed being called Abu Rashid
The mother of Majid and Mansour would be called Um Majid
Also when you are not married there are names associated with other names for example every Ahmed is named Abu shihaab until he has a son with another name also Hamdan is usually Abu Rashid and so one with other names

Thanks for your input,it´s very interesting to learn about the subtetlies of Arabic culture and I hope I can keep some of the information.
As a matter of fact I heard an Egyptian man in Dubai referring to Sheikha Hind as "Um Hamdan" and that´s why I assumed that some people chose to say that,but maybe he is taking Hamdans´name because he believes he is the Crown Prince therefore he must be the oldest son.(That man is more interested in horses than gossip so he may not know much about the extended Al Maktoum family.)

Regarding the name of honor: Usually it is correct like blue lady said, that the parents are named after their eldest son. In the case of Sheikh Mohammed and Sheikha Hind they were called Umm Rashid and Abu Rashid regular. But if someone wants to speak to the parents about a very specific child, then one uses the name of this child. So if you want to address to Sheikh Mohammed directly to his son Sheikh Hamdan (perhaps because Hamdan has just won a horse endurance race), then you can call him (Sheikh Mohammed) Abu Hamdan (to honor him as the father of the winner). It would be not wrong.

Sheikh Majid's mother is referred as Umm Majid, because her eldest son's name is Majid. When you want to respond Sheikh Mohammed regarding to his son Majid, then in this case you can say Abu Majid to him (make a sense, because he has more than one wife with a own eldest male child).

For instance: it sounds funny if we were to say: "Abu Rashid and Umm Majid, I want to speak with you about your son, Sheikh Mansoor". In this case better to say: "Abu Mansoor and Umm Mansoor, I want to speak about your son....." (from the beginning the parents would know, who do you want to talk about. ;) )

It is therefore possible to appeal to a mother in her honorable name with the name of the eldest daughter, if she has no sons. In order if a woman would like, for example, talking about a specific daughter of the other women (eg want to know if this daughter is already engaged or not), then one uses the name of the daughter, who is meant.

There are so many variations. But the rule in general: the addressing by the name of the eldest son (if any).

Last edited:
Seems to be wrong, because Sheikh Maktoum was born in November 1983 (if my memory is correct). Since Sheikh Ahmed is his full brother (both have the same mother), he can hardly have been born in March 1984. In between there are only 4 months!

As I know, Sheikh Ahmed is born in February 1987 (the official homepage of the Olympic Committee of the Emirates mentioned this date also).

I have to check FEI for passport copy but I am 100% sure he is older than Majid

im kinda curious how sheikh hamdan will treat mahra, i mean he is going to be the next vice president and "head of family" isnt it important for him to have a good relationship with all his siblings

Being crown prince does not mean he would be head of the family

oh , then who would be after sheikh mohammed passing? just curious

Please look at the thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f170/future-of-sheikh-hamdan-as-administrator-34051.html We have this issue discussed there.

The status of CP is the third highest position in the emirate "only". The second highest position is that of the Deputy Ruler. Currently, Sheikh Maktoum bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum (brother of the current Ruler), hold and share this position in cooperation. The highest position is that of the Ruler. But the latter is clear, I think.

That Sheikh Hamdan is named CP doesn´t mean, he would be the next ruler of Dubai. Who will be the next ruler of Dubai is decided only, when Sheikh Mohammed is dead or if he can no longer fulfill his duties.

Last edited:
I have to check FEI for passport copy but I am 100% sure he is older than Majid

Of that there is no doubt. Definitely Sheikh Ahmed is older than Sheikh Majid. Only unclear is the exact date of birth of Sheikh Ahmed. As far as I know, he was born in February 1987 and not in February 1984, because Sheikh Maktoum - his full sibling - is born November 1983. So Sheikh Ahmed may not have been born in February 1984. It would be very unlikely!

Last edited:
im kinda curious how sheikh hamdan will treat mahra, i mean he is going to be the next vice president and "head of family" isnt it important for him to have a good relationship with all his siblings

It is important to have a good relationship to your family and siblings, and I´m sure, Sheikh Hamdan have. Sheikh Hamdan will certainly do his best for a good atmosphere among the siblings. Even if we don´t get to face constantly in public, it doesn´t meant, that there is no contact between them.

But waht is sheikh Mansour exact part in the politic of Dubai ? is he a deputy ruler too ?

...When a man is not married he is nick named Abu (what ever his father name is) , Abu meaning the father of.
Oh,that makes some things understandable.So "Abu" is a word for father and you use it with the name of the son:) So you mean "Um Kulthoum" is a name and not a title for the mother of a boy named Kulthoum?I always believed that was the case and thought the Egyptian singer was named after the mother of Kulthoum.So it means "Full cheeks"?Can you tell me if it´s correct that Shakira means "Full of Grace",because the Colombian-born singer has a Lebanese father and I read in a book that this is the meaning of her name (a very beautiful one).

Last edited by a moderator:

Judging from the pictures they seem to get along very well,but we don´t know what´s really going on.They both have a deep interest and passion for horses and they are both very modern & dynamic characters who seem to be modest and easy to get along with so I don´t see why they should have any problems.
I would rather think that the other Al Maktoum girls have difficulties to accept that Sheikha Mahra is now so popular and that she has taken a prominent place in the spotlight /Dubai social life.
They may also have different mindsets because they grew up in different places & cultures like lady blue has already mentioned.
Sheikha Mahra seems to be more academic than most of the daughters of Sheikha Hind-at least that´s my impression- so they might have different ideas of what they want to acchieve in their life and what is important to them....

But waht is sheikh Mansour exact part in the politic of Dubai ? is he a deputy ruler too ?

No, he isn´t a Deputy Ruler. Sheikh Mansoor currently holds no public, political office. However, he is seen in public at various events and guest of honor, where he opened various exhibitions, trade fairs and so on.

So you mean "Um Kulthoum" is a name and not a title for the mother of a boy named Kulthoum?
Yes um kalthoum is a name and nt a title :flowers:
And um kalthoum means the girl that has full cheeks
The only Arabic translation I can think of for shakira is thankful there is no other way I can translated to another meaning unless it is pronounced differently an I'm not getting it.

does anyone know if sheikha mahra al maktoum has an instagram account?

Snapcrackle-I don´t think she has a public instagram account,maybe a private one.
She does have a facebook page,it is run by an administrator but they say that she also reads the page and it´s official.

Maybe some obsessive Hamdan-fans already noticed,but I´ve seen a picture where he´s writing with the left hand,I didn´t know he was left-handed:)
It´s very rare,a lot of left-handers have been trained to use the right hand in school but I know that Prince William (UK),Buzz Aldrin (astronaut) and Fred Astaire were left-handed too.My father is also left-handed but none of his children inherited his left-handedness altough I can play tennis and other sports with my left hand too.
Are there any other left-hand-writers in the Al Maktoum family?
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.p...5562377.-2207520000.1362325084&type=3&theater

Yes, Sheikh Hamdan is left-handed. As I know, he is the only one left-hander in the family (at least insofar as it relates to Sheikh Mohammed's children, I'm sure).

does sheikha mahra speak arabic well, considering the fact that she has lived most of her life in greece?

does sheikha mahra speak arabic well, considering the fact that she has lived most of her life in greece?

She learns through diligence........;). The first time she has spoken English only. Meanwhile, she also speaks more often Arabic, but not fluent.

Endangered birds: Sheikh Hamdan does his bit to conserve bustard species – The Express Tribune
"In the past, Arab Sheikhs have been blamed for targeting these bird species in Pakistan. However, recently, Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammad Al Maktoum, the crown prince of Dubai, in his latest campaign to protect the endangered species of wildlife in Pakistan, has procured about 200 houbara bustards to be set free in friendly habitats of parks in Pakistan, including the Kirthar National Park lying between Karachi and Dadu, and the Hingol National Park which lies on the Makran coast."

http://gulfnews.com/sport/horse-racing/hamdan-heads-uae-challenge-in-king-s-cup-ride-1.1149303
Shaikh Hamdan Bin Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai, will lead a strong team of riders from the UAE in His Majesty the King’s Cup Endurance Ride Championship in Bahrain on Saturday.

http://www.ameinfo.com/sheikh-majid-bin-mohammed-bin-rashid-333494
Sheikh Majid Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Chairman of the Dubai Culture & Arts Authority (Dubai Culture), the Emirate's dedicated Authority for culture, arts, and heritage, which is marking its fifth anniversary this month, officially inaugurated SIKKA 2013, the Authority's contemporary artist-led fair.

http://www.wam.org.ae/servlet/Satellite?c=WamLocEnews&cid=1290003736963&p=1135099400124&pagename=WAM%2FWamLocEnews%2FW-T-LEN-FullNews
Sheikh Majid bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Chairman of the Dubai Culture '&' Arts Authority (Dubai Culture), opened today Design Days Dubai, the first design fair of its kind in the Middle East, bringing the most exclusive selection of purchasable, limited edition design to the region.

Last edited:
does anyone whether sheikha sheikha attended university or not? i assume shes 20 now.

does anyone whether sheikha sheikha attended university or not? i assume shes 20 now.

Sheikha Sheikha doesn´t attended university. She married young at the age of 16 years (just before her 17th birthday) and has 3 kids (1 girl, 2 boys). You are right, she is 20 now.

Out of interest & curiosity I have also made a personal astro chart fro Majid,please don´t take it too serious,it is not an exact science-purely frivolous and for personal delight only while I must say that I belive most of what is in his chart seems to be true.
I don´t know exactly,but because I have seen S.Majid in public and participating in many events I have a little bit of a feeling how he might "tick",but again,it is purely my imagination merged with all the pieces of information that I put together like a puzzle:)

I sometimes comment when I disagree with certain parts-this is written in () for better clarity!

Astro Chart interpretation for Majid bin Mohammed
born October 16, 1987 / Dubai, UAE

Rising Sign is in 07 Degrees Capricorn
You are practical and reserved but very ambitious. An achiever and a hard worker, you respect success. Older looking and very serious as a youth, things lighten up and you relax more as you mature. You have a serious view of the world as being a difficult place to be in. Very envious of those who seem to have an easier life than you have, relaxation and play do not come easily. It is important that you had abundant parental support as a child so that you do not feel lonely and isolated as an adult. Generally, you have a good, earthy sense of humor that can carry you through when times really do get tough. You are purposeful, self-willed, industrious, realistic and responsible.

Sun is in 22 Degrees Libra.
Very sociable, you enjoy being with others and definitely prefer not be alone. Warm and affectionate, you go out of your way to make others like you. You despise ugliness, for you being surrounded by beauty and harmony is a necessity of life. You prefer fine clothing (especially white kandhouras & no bright colours ;-), an attractive home and pleasant surroundings wherever you are. Your refined tastes apply to music and to art as well. At times, you are very indecisive you waver and falter when forced to make a choice because you have the ability to see both sides of any question. The positive part of this is that you are very fair-minded and can be trusted to settle disputes. Your greatest challenge is to take any one- on-one encounter and make the most of it.

Moon is in 09 Degrees Leo.
You always want to be proud of yourself and will never do anything that will make yourself look bad. You need the respect and admiration of others and enjoy attracting attention to yourself. Everything you do tends to be self-emphasized and self-exaggerated. Very stubborn, willful and independent yourself, be sure to allow others who are close to you the similar right to "be themselves." Your need for love, affection and reassurance, and your tendency toward vanity, allow you to have your head easily turned by flattery. The more insecure you are, the more you tend to be a showoff. (I don´t think so!To me M. doesn´t seem like a show-off,the stars are sometimes lying too;-)You love games and sports as a matter of fact, you would usually rather play than work.(I have strong doubts about the second part of the sentence, this is what I would rather expect in Hamdan´s chart...*lol*)
Be careful of a tendency to be snobbish and uppity - it does not become you. (That´s certainly true, but not very likely to be a big issue for Majid as he does not seem snobbish even though he would have enough reason to be a showoff and/or have a big ego!)

Mercury is in 13 Degrees Scorpio.
You are a born investigator. You are fascinated by secrets and mysteries and unanswered questions of any kind. When you become upset or angry, your emotional reactions are overpowering -- reason and logic disappear in an uncontrollable passionate outburst. You tend to keep your thoughts secret and bottled up and this makes others regard you with suspicion. It is not that you are trying purposely to be evasive, it is just that you would rather not deal with the explosions and hassles that often occur when you reveal your true feelings and opinions. Your sense of humor tends toward sarcasm and irony. (That sounds very good for me;-) Hopefully this is true!Dear stars & planets,don´t fool me this time,won´t you?Thanks.)

Venus is in 06 Degrees Scorpio.
Your feelings about others are deep, powerful, intense and complex. When you like someone, you do so totally and obsessively if you do not like someone, they do not exist. Your faithfulness and loyalty to your lover is unquestioned, indeed at times it is too much so - you get so possessive that you almost smother your partner. At times, your feelings are kept deep within you and, because they are so complex and intense, they frighten you -- this is the way that you try to ignore them. But the more you try to do this, the more explosive things get when you eventually do express them.

Mars is in 04 Degrees Libra.
You are very aware of the need to cooperate with others in order to further any effort. You are usually willing to compromise with others, although you can be quite competitive in a friendly way. Very fair- minded and impartial, you have the ability to sense injustice and the desire to take corrective actions to make proper compensations. You see both sides of issues and questions, but you tend to be undecided or wavering when forced to make choices that might make you vulnerable or unpopular. (That all sounds extremly positive in my ears, I hope it´s correct :)

Jupiter is in 24 Degrees Aries.
The way that you grow and develop is by being an uncompromising individualist. You have a great need to be yourself and to explore your latent talents and abilities. Do not be afraid to let yourself go and develop self-confidence and pride in your accomplishments. But try not to become so self-centered that you ignore the needs of others. Also, you may have to build up your self-discipline in order to focus your energies properly.

Saturn is in 17 Degrees Sagittarius.
Basically quite conservative, you respect traditional authority figures and are very thankful and supportive of the laws and institutions which govern your life. You learn and accept new ideas only after having very thoroughly examined them. Ideals and abstract concepts are important to you only if they can be used in some practical fashion. You are so practical and so orderly that you have natural skills in planning, administrating and organizing.

Uranus is in 23 Degrees Sagittarius.
You, and most of your peers, have the tendency to think that all ideas, customs and traditions from the past are outmoded and irrelevant.(<<-Don´t think so, but who knows?) You are attracted to radically new ideas, philosophies and religions that will, hopefully, cause sweeping changes throughout the world.

Neptune is in 05 Degrees Capricorn.
You, and your entire generation, will idealize work, practicality and the ability to attain reasonable goals. But, because you will also stress the need to be selfless and giving, you may find it difficult to attain your goals unless you have lowered your expectations on all fronts.

Pluto is in 09 Degrees Scorpio.
For your entire generation, this is a period of intense research and discovery in areas that were heretofore considered mysterious, remote or taboo. The root causes for many complex occurrences will be unearthed due to the intensity and thoroughness of the search.

N. Node is in 02 Degrees Aries.
You're at your most comfortable when involved in group activities outside of your immediate family circle. You delight in getting involved with others in neighborhood civic or political activities, especially if you can be a part of the leadership of the group. Your zeal and overabundant energy bring out your real creativity when you can work toward tangible results - things that will immediately benefit those around you. You have a real gift for getting the most out of charity drives and community benefits. Take time out between projects though, because you tire out easily and your effectiveness becomes greatly diminished when your energy is depleted. Also, don't even think of trying to get involved at a peripheral level - you need a total commitment to feel personally fulfilled. Let others bake the cookies and set up the chairs -you should be the one to tell everyone what to do and when to do it!
(<-Disagree with the last sentence, but again, I don´t know,I can only imagine or speculate:)

Last edited:
Little Zayed is quite cute! But a blond? Does that mean he take after his mother (which has lighter hair colour genes)? Anyway, I really think Al Jahlila is the apple of her father's eyes, he even set up a foundation in her namesake and she's only a child :lol: that's quite cool.

Anyway, I wanna ask whether Sheika Hind's children are close to kids by other women (Princess Haya included)? I only see some pictures of Hamdan with some of his half-siblings so far--but one or two pics can't really tell.

Also, is Sheikha Mahra even close to her other siblings? It's just that she's always either alone or with her mother/friends.

I am completely with you,as you see in old Haya pictures and with cute Al Jalila,they have dark brown hair!For Arabs the hair of little Zayed might seem blonde-to me it looks like brown hair with little "sun-kissed" highlights as we say.
If you spend lots of time outdoor your hair gets lighter,you can see & experience that during summer time. Only this does not seem to work with Arab and Asian hair,or they would all be blonder than platin-coloured Marylin Monroe:p

I agree with your observation,Al Jalila is daddy´s darling for sure,but he also loves all his other children,only in a different way:) It is an old tradition to set up a foundation for young royal offspring to support a good cause-sometimes it is founded after birth,sometimes after christening or when the kids are 15 or older...depends on the family & parents personal decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom