Marriage Customs of the Ruling Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shk Latifa is getting married on Febuary 2009 ... To answer the other question about rashid and hamdan ... thats a possibility .. they could get married on the same day... they have always been close.. so who knows...

Is there any possibility of Hamdan and Rashid already having a wife that isn't public knowledge? I think Shk Mohammed had already a wife before Hind but she was first to be publically acknowledge.

May I ask, is the fiancee of Sheikha Latifa is someone she chose or is it an arranged marriage?

May I ask, is the fiancee of Sheikha Latifa is someone she chose or is it an arranged marriage?

i dont know for sure, but i think that it is an arranged marriage, but im positive that he must be a great man cuz i dont think that your father would set you up with a man less than perfect for his daugther, and they are alowed to know each other before the wedding and she can end the engagement if she changes her mind

What I do not know, it is how usually an (royal & muslim) engaged couple behaves, i mean, can hold hands or maybe to go out to give a walk... all the romantics stuff that we love, but of course decent;)

Most parents wouldn't willingly marry their daughters to somebody they believed was inferior but it's a fact of life that many people do not reveal their true character until they are married.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is so true!!! you never know what is you going to get!!!

Is it mandatory for members of the Al Maktoum family to have more than 1 wife?

Is it mandatory for members of the Al Maktoum family to have more than 1 wife?
I dont think so, i read here that someone :)bang: I'm sorry am bad with names and in this family is like a nigthmare for my short memory lol) just have one wife. I guess that its a personal choice.

< ed by Warren >

take care!!!

< ed by Warren >
As for Sheikh Mohammed marrying a second time to Princess Hayah, there are a couple of theories within the local Emirati's minds. One could be that he wants to attach himself anyway to the Prophet Muhammad's blood-line; through Hayah since she is supposedly descended from him (peace and blessings be upon him). Umm al-Imaarate Sheikha Hind is accepted by the locals since she is a local herself, although she is not public. So perhaps Sheikh Mohammad wanted a public figure in a wife, so he married Princess Hayah.

I think that Sheikh Mo married for love.. they both share a love of horses.

Sheikh Mo strikes me as a passionate man...

i think both shk mo and phaya love themselves very much.he has two wives one private one public.no big deal.:flowers:

Is it very common in the Al Maktoum family to marry cousins? And if so, why?

Its common among Arabs and Gulf. Not just Al-Makotum. I guess becasue it is part of their tradition

Part of the reason for the intermarriages relates to the fact that these are Ruling Families. Most of the families are large with various and extended branches.
To preserve a degree of family unity, every so often a cousin will marry a cousin so as to tie or unite the branches together again in common purpose. As the Ruling Familes are tribal in origin this part of the tribal culture remains relevant and useful.
The same principle applies when a member of one Ruling Family marries a member of another Ruling Family.

Yes... even my 1st-born brother-in-law married a cousin from the same branch... It is to keep ties etc.

Sorry for my ignorance, but do royal brides in Dubai wear white wedding dresses as European brides? Or do they have traditional wedding dresses?

They wear white wedding dress.:)

with all the married your first cousin stuff. i wonder if there´s any report on any baby born with difficulties in the royal family.

Congenital defects in offspring from marriage between cousins are most obviously manifested as mental problems. Marriage between cousins was not that uncommon even in Europe up untill 200 years ago, after which most countries legislated against 1st cousins marrying because of the clear evidence even at that time, of greatly increased frequency of congenital defects in their offspring. The most famous (known) example that comes to mind to me is that of English "Mad King George", though their must surely be many others...

:flowers: Thanks tommy1!!!
But is there any reference of maybe a mad or slow person on this royal family, or maybe in other where they still do the first cousin marriage?

After reading through the thread since Rashid is no longer in the running for CP is he allowed to marry any woman he chooses? Example: If he fell in love with Chelsy Davy or someone who isn't Arab will he be allowed to marry her no or does the she really have to be of Arab descent?

salam n hye..i think d customs of d gulf royals encourage the risk of inheritance diseases like cancer, heart attack(hereditary) or so on. in addition, it discourages the aim to widen the family tree as Islam told us to do so. Im not trying to offend on condemn any1 jst wanna share my opinion. Deeply aplogize if my statement may provoke ur believes.

:previous:
The gallery is owned by Saudi Princess Reem al Faisal, who plans to document the photographs into a book.
The exhibition is under the Patronage of Shaikha Hind Bint Maktoum Bin Juma'a Al Maktoum and was was inaugurated by Shaikh Saeed Bin Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum.
The exhibition comprises 37 photos and includes "Shaikh Rashid in 1971", "Bedouin girls dancing at wedding in 1970", "Rice for wedding is blessed in 1971" and "Four veiled women inside Bastakiya".

I am wondering if Sheikh Majed is engaged already?
How old he has to be to get engaged?

no not yet he is only 22
At least 24

Back
Top Bottom