Marriage Customs of the Ruling Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She can be a christian or a jewish too. But it is important, that she has a book religion and believe and trust in god.
So, atheist is not welcome. Sadly, because most of the girls nowadays are so.:ohmy:

So, atheist is not welcome. Sadly, because most of the girls nowadays are so.:ohmy:

An atheist is welcome, if she is willing to convert to Islam. We have a relgious rule, that a muslim can only marry a woman from a book religion (islam, christian, jewish). But we can´t marry by islamic law a woman which is atheist.

So they can marry a woman who's from a book religion and don't want to convert into a Muslim. Is she then acceptable by the family too?

Yes she may keep her religion, however the kids will be brought up as Muslims and Islamic laws will be applied to this marriage.
That said I really doubt that he will marry a non-Muslim or a non-gulf country lady ( that's is only my believe and I have menu reasons supporting this believe) :)

Exactly my point, lady blue.:flowers: I don't see why he would marry a non-Muslim, as there are so unique Muslim girls out there. In addition, I would be surprised if his choice of wife is non-Muslim.:ermm:But as the saying goes - love is blind. :whistling:Who knows?

So they can marry a woman who's from a book religion and don't want to convert into a Muslim. Is she then acceptable by the family too?

Yes, he can and I think it will be accept by his family in the end. But if you ask me for my personal view, I think the same like lady_blue: he will marry a muslim lady from UAE or other gulf countries as his first wife.

Exactly my point, lady blue.:flowers: I don't see why he would marry a non-Muslim, as there are so unique Muslim girls out there. In addition, I would be surprised if his choice of wife is non-Muslim.:ermm:But as the saying goes - love is blind. :whistling:Who knows?

maharata, I think that he has already made ​​his choice .....;) I'm sure he knows that he needs a strong woman who has grown his future tasks.

But if he marries a christian, will be applied to this marriage Muslims and Islamic laws?

I think it depends on the desire of his wife if she wants to convert to Islam or keep her religion. But their future kids unavoiadably will be Muslims, as the children always take their father's religion.
There are a few examples - like Queen Noor of Jordan who converted to Islam. But we also have Rita Hayworth who stayed Christian during her marriage with Prince Aly Khan.

Dear all participants here,

after yesterday, in the interest of all forum participants and guests here I would like to ask all of us to note the main theme of this thread. It is not nice when we discuss here for pages about personal feelings and the issue of "marriage customs of the ruling family" completely forgotten. People are turning to TRF to find news about the ruling family of Dubai and not to check our personal battles.

In the members area (members corner) there are numerous opportunities to interact on a personal level. Lets talk about "marriage customs of the ruling family" here only. Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:
Imanmajed, thank you taking the time to answer questions about your culture. I'm ashamed to say that some of the posters on this forum have been rather rude and ill-mannered toward you and that is unacceptable. Please know that such behavior does not represent all people in the Western world or the Christian religion. I wish you well and I look forward to reading more of your comments.

It seems that a lot of people on here are posting opinions that are based on the internet gossip of schoolgirl fans who have never been to Dubai or met the Al Maktoum family. The bottom line is that unless you know Mahra and the other members of the Al Maktoum family, you can not know how they feel about each other and how they get along. As they say, "Blood is thicker than water", so I have hopes that if there are any problems that they will be worked out. Until then, let's keep our comments about them based on facts, not on gossip.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are welcome. Thanks for your kind understanding. I appreciate your attitude in every respect.

I very seldom come into this part of the forum and I am really mortified that such rudeness is spattered out to a good man who is only trying to take his own time to tell us about his culture. Imanmajed's forbearance and patience have been so very inspirational and I thank him immensely for showing us all the profound kindliness and hospitality for which his country is well known.

Please remember this is a thread to talk about Marriage customs of the Ruling Family, Posts off topic and posts attacking members have all been deleted. Further posts will be deleted without notice.​

Are the men olny allowed to have one public wife or can the others be shown if they wanted to ?

If a sheikh wanted to get married again will the second wedding be as big as his first ?

I heard that both wives have to be treated equal so would she have a palace of her own because the first wive is in a palace ?

can both wives ever share the same home if both of them was ok with it ?

Are the men olny allowed to have one public wife or can the others be shown if they wanted to ?

A men (I think you mean a Sheikh) can all his wives presented to the public or he can not presented all of his wives or he can presented only some of his wives in public. That is a matter of the couple only.

If a sheikh wanted to get married again will the second wedding be as big as his first ?
The second wedding can be as big as the first or bigger or smaller. They can do what they want. It is also a matter of the couple and the families of them.

I heard that both wives have to be treated equal so would she have a palace of her own because the first wive is in a palace ?
Thats right. All wives are be treated equally. Each of them has her own house. The second wife would have a house like that of the first wife.

can both wives ever share the same home if both of them was ok with it ?
Theoretically, both can live in one house, but then claim to have a seperate part of the house for herself alone. Depending on the size of the house and the wealth of the man, the wives can own a room for herself only or partially an entire building on the same property with a private entrance.

Last edited:
Are marriages outside tribes or with foreign women arranged? Shaikhs seem too busy to seek companions from other cultures through traditional ways. I do not suppose they use matrimonial web sites..?

Are marriages outside tribes or with foreign women arranged? Shaikhs seem too busy to seek companions from other cultures through traditional ways. I do not suppose they use matrimonial web sites..?

Marriages outside of own tribe can be arranged too. Marriages with foreign women are not arranged. There is more coincidence and love, which lead into such a marriage. I doubt that Sheikhs use matrimonial web sites.....

Last edited:
I also highly doubt they use a webpage-service to meet potential brides ;-)
As far as I understand traditional (arranged) marriages work very different,when a man or a woman is considered to have the "right age for marriage",the members of the family will look for a suitable groom/bride. Usually it is the "work" of women-because most Muslim women only take off their veil and socialize with ladies,Muslim man do not have an opportunity to meet and get in touch with traditional Muslim girls/women. Aunts/Sisters/Mothers will look and try to find a woman who has sound moral principles,similar upbringing/social status,good health,character and looks. The women have more contact with each other that´s why they can take a closer look and have talks with potential brides in order to find out if the girl is good and also has similar interests and personality like the groom.(Vice versa,the girl´s families also try to find and arrange a good marriage for their daughters,they try to assess and make sure that the guy is a good match.)
Because woman are expected to marry only one man (Exception:If they get divorced or remarry when they are widowed) they take a bigger risk that Muslim men who can take up to four wives (unless they live in a country that prohibits polygamy).
The term "arranged marriage" sounds harsh,but both men and women are theoretically able to say "No" if they believe that the match is not going to work out. Islam does not encourage forced marriages,bride and groom must do so out of free will,but however in a few cases parents do not accept their children´s refusal or try to marry them off to someone they dislike.This is an exception,but unfortunately it does happen in some families,especially in poor and underdeveloped nations.

That said I believe that the sheikhs and sheikhas have a lot of freedom in the choice of their partners and friends, I do not believe that their parents are forcing them into marrying or taking the kind of partner that they chose. The modern sheikhs and sheikhas travel a lot and have more formal education than previous generations,they broaden their horizon by getting in touch with other cultures and have a different outlook on life than their grandparents/ancestors.
They may find people from other cultures or someone from their own country, the society is more open-minded today. I guess that even people with a different religion or nationality would be accepted if they have a good personality and try to understand the Arabic culture.

Last edited:
As far as I understand traditional (arranged) marriages work very different,when a man or a woman is considered to have the "right age for marriage",the members of the family will look for a suitable groom/bride. .... Aunts/Sisters/Mothers will look and try to find a woman who has sound moral principles,similar upbringing/social status,good health,character and looks.....

It is more the task of the elder women to search suitable brides for unmarried men in the family.

.....Vice versa,the girl´s families also try to find and arrange a good marriage for their daughters,they try to assess and make sure that the guy is a good match.....

Normally, the families of the young women did not take active efforts to seek a spouse or to arrange a marriage. A request is expected on the part of the man's family. Within the same family (cousin marriages), there can be a talk about possible matches from both sides.

Last edited:
Any family links between the Maktoums and Nahyans? Abu Dhabi is catching up fast on tourism and helping financially Dubai. Are there marriages within the ruling families to strengthen the new situation after the economic crisis?

Any family links between the Maktoums and Nahyans? Abu Dhabi is catching up fast on tourism and helping financially Dubai. Are there marriages within the ruling families to strengthen the new situation after the economic crisis?

Both families are from different branches of the Bani Yas tribal alliance and related. There are marital connections between the two families over several generations. Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum, who was the father of the current ruler of Dubai was married with Sheikha Latifa bint Hamdan bin Zayed al Nahyan. She was the mother of the current ruler of Dubai. Therefore the Sheikhs of Dubai and the Sheikhs of Abu Dhabi are cousins.

Currently the daughter of Sheikh Mohammed, Sheikha Manal bint Mohammed al Maktoum, is married with Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan since 2005.

Last edited:
Hey, can any of mo's sons marry a Muslim non-emirati girl as a first and official wife? Is that allowed? Or is it necessary for the official wife to be a cousin?

Hey, can any of mo's sons marry a Muslim non-emirati girl as a first and official wife? Is that allowed? Or is it necessary for the official wife to be a cousin?

It is allowed to marry a non-emirati girl as first wife. There are no rules which forbid to do so. Also it is not necessary to marry a cousin, but it can happen. The future wives of Sheikh Mohammed´s sons can be Muslim, Christian or Jewish. According to Islamic law there are restrictions and prohibitions to marry someone without a monotheistic faith.

Last edited:
Does sheikh nasser al khalifa and wife have palace in Dubai ? I wonder how sheikha will feel if Nasser married again ? Are the are like sisters or friends when married to the same man ?

Does sheikh nasser al khalifa and wife have palace in Dubai ? I wonder how sheikha will feel if Nasser married again ? Are the are like sisters or friends when married to the same man ?

There are no signs for a second marriage of Sheikh Nasser. In the event of a further marriage we cannot say what Sheikha Sheikha will feel or of which kind the relationship between the wifes would be. All of our statements will remain speculations.

O I didn't mean just them i mean in overall does anyone know how the relationship are between wives of one husband

Back
Top Bottom