Future of Sheikh Hamdan as administrator

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You do not know arab men.... We (exceptions apart) can be very emotional in everything we do. Enough of that! It leads us away from the real issue here. So you think, it is also important for a ruler to be patient and humble? Is my assumption correct?

The most appreciated leadership qualities are honesty, confidence, and knowledge.A leader/President should aim to bring unity to his people-to create a sense of belonging and purpose so that every citizen feels they are important and they can be proud of their country.They....

Well said blauerengel. The most appreciated leadership also recognices progression as such one.

Also a critical point in muslim cultures/states is the fear of lost of their religious and cultural aspects and therefore their individual identification. It seems as they feel in "danger". That's why some or many of them have a critical approach against the "western world" with their model of "modernism" what is't automatically the idea of progression. And so they feel rightfully misunderstood. Because wherefrom does the "west" know how their modell will end in?

Despite of all these exposed arguments the muslim world will go down if they block the positive aspects of like what you mentioned...

You do not know arab men.... We (exceptions apart) can be very emotional in everything we do. Enough of that! It leads us away from the real issue here. So you think, it is also important for a ruler to be patient and humble? Is my assumption correct?

Yes, because a ruler always needs the love and support of his or her people otherwise it all falls apart eg the French Kings.

Despite of all these exposed arguments the muslim world will go down if they block the positive aspects of like what you mentioned...
Go not so hard on us. The western knowledge and western culture alone are no guarantee for survival of the time. We value our traditions and religion and this is not be inconsistent with modern requirements. But nobody is perfect, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, essentially we are approaching the core questions of vkish. What do you think, where or in which way a young man acquires these inner powers and skills?

Go not so hard on us. The western knowledge and western culture alone are no guarantee for survival of the time. We value our traditions and religion and this is not be inconsistent with modern requirements. But nobody is perfect, right?

If I recall correctly, Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, so hardly a relic of the past.

It does seem to me, that in the West we put Islam and Arab culture into one amorphous mass and they aren't the same and when we do that, we just show our own ignorance and insularity.

Hmm.. I'd say that first, a potential ruler needs to have a good education, as a foundation stone and to learn about his (in this context) nation's past. Then have decent people around him who will guide him without being toadying. Leading his people is an honour.

Before returning to Sheikh Hamdan, let´s do more objective considerations: In universities, courses and training students can acquire knowledge about politics, economy, polity and so on. This can be an opportunity to prepare for the rule. But how does it look with the soft skills? Where or how it were acquired? What do you think? Which role plays the family in the acquistion of specific leadership skills?

Last edited:
The family can teach you valuable things: how to cope with rising tensions and play the role of bridge between different factions of society, how to assess everyone's wants and find the best way to fulfil them, how to respect the nation, the God, the land.

What do you think: What conditions or principles must be fulfilled in the family so that the adult members can teach the younger generation valuable things?

I realize that the answer is not simple, but I hope we find a way slowly to approach the topic of vkish had asked. Thanks to all who participate in the conversation.

Its also a cruical point to mention that the "modernism" is only the name of "this" epoch. The "modernism" has his more or less advantagable qualities and will find some day its end. It's not equalized with "trendy" or "to be kept up to date".. its only the name! Consequentionally beeng modern means "to be adapted to this age" .. not more and not less.

Apart from the industrial revolution and partly the IT-revolution it has more features like the formation of states and therefore national and cultural identification. The decomposition of it could implicate the loss of identification and as a result a "chaotic" circumstance like it could be given in globalisation, attheism, abstitence of "role modells"... which wouldn't be the "modernism" anymore but the "postmodernism" what means the "after"modernism.

The "time bar" doesn' only returns to the past but also to the future. The deception is the successful bridging of the potential "chaos".

I really appreciate all your posts. But I actually didnt mean things about family, relations, values etc.
For a future ruler of Dubai, I would be interested to have the following priorities and foresight:
1.To deal with ever-growing demands for democracy, especially in wake of continous uprisings in Arab world, against monarchs.
2.To deal with the global economic crisis and its effects on Dubai.
3.To prepare ground-work for the next 50-100 years when oil sources will diminish and wealth inflow will slow down in Arab world. Then alternative souces and a different economy should be planned right from now.
4.To deal with religious fundamentalists and at the same time bring modernisation. It is very tough nut to crack for any Arab ruler.

I just gave you an idea of these so that you can appreciate how critical it is to be prepared to become a real ruler. You just cant adopt some fancy causes and wave and say people like me and thats is not enough.May be for European royals, but not for real Arab rulers.
I seriously believe the popularity Prince Hamdan enjoys now is not that of a good administrator or a to-be-administrator.
It is just a natural thing for any younger royal, though he has added up much to it with his adventurous activities and poetry and all.
But real administration takes years to prepare. Remember, real rulers are never instantaneously popular. And still there is constant scrutiny and criticism.
So how far you think hamdan is preparing to take up serious challenges, like the ones I mentioned above. Especially those living in Dubai, since you follow him more closely and know the public perception. Hope you got my point..

I really appreciate all your posts. But I actually didnt mean things about family, relations, values etc.
For a future ruler of Dubai, I would be interested to have the following priorities and foresight:
1.To deal with ever-growing demands for democracy, especially in wake of continous uprisings in Arab world, against monarchs.
2.To deal with the global economic crisis and its effects on Dubai.
3.To prepare ground-work for the next 50-100 years when oil sources will diminish and wealth inflow will slow down in Arab world. Then alternative souces and a different economy should be planned right from now.
4.To deal with religious fundamentalists and at the same time bring modernisation. It is very tough nut to crack for any Arab ruler.

Hm... Do you think seriously that family, relations, values, education and soft skills are not important for your points or for a rulership? Thats amazing. Personally, I see these things more as the basis in order to solve the issues which you called. Sheikh Hamdan is not a ruler yet and his actions behind the scenes, his knowledge in economic things and so on are not visible to you. As for his ability to rule we can speculate only. But we are approaching the characteristics of a ruler in general. Merely you are viewing what is visible to you by media. Therefore this creates for you the impression that Sheikh Hamdan is busy with his leisure activities solely. You forget, that he is involved in tasks which are hidden and that he take responsibility for areas which are not available to the public.

Another strinking feature is that you transfer the developments in other Arab countries to Dubai and the Emirates. This is not so easily, because in Dubai you will find other conditions as in other Arab states.

To your points:

1. In Dubai we haven´t ever-growing demands for democracy. We are happy with the existing system which will are constantly evolving by the rulers of UAE for the benefit of the population.
2. Dubai was stronger after the crisis and now develop with advisedly.
3. It seems, that you don´t know, that the economy of Dubai already diversified and the revenues from the oil represent only 3% of the income of the Emirate of Dubai. The plans to transform the economy run for 20 years...
4. Religious fundamentalism isn´t a problem in UAE. The understanding of religion is indeed conservative, but in a moderate way.

Remember, real rulers are never instantaneously popular.

Someone will never be a ruler of Dubai who has not the love and support of his compatriots before starts to be a leader. Thats our basic Emirati understanding in matters of rulership.

Vkrish, the starting points you transfered to us are not identical with the actual situation in Dubai. This makes it difficult to provide answers to you which are more close to your interest in this topic - especially for those who living in Dubai and a little bit more closely to the CP and the public perception here in UAE.

Last edited:
Vkrish, I think your misunderstanding about the UAE and particularly Dubai comes by the wrong perception that all Arab states are the same. This is not true. Dubai is not Bahrain, the UAE is not Lebanon where you cay see some of the topics mentioned evolving. If you look in a more serious way, you will examine that the UAE has more similar features with Oman and Qatar than the other Arab states. Consequently these 3 countries enjoy overwhelming stability and increasing growth among the chaos in the other Arab states. The points you listed are vital for all the other Arab states, but not for 3 above. May I conclude this way: nothing is still decided. While we are discussing Sheikh Hamdan is doind his arduous tasks. But the important is not that. Whoever becomes the next leader, He will be the right leader and He will lead the UAE and the Emiratis to new heights and new global recognisition.

You have already gathered a lot of special skills, which seems important for a rule. Thank you for your time to tell your personal opinion to us. Unfortunately, vkrish is missing. But that should not a hinderance for us to continue the exchange. What do you think: Which of these properties Sheikh Hamdan has and how you realize that? I am aware that the most of us can discuss only superficially, based on what we have learned through media. Perhaps it is still possible to discuss the topic in theory at least. I look forward to your participation.

Do anyone know the book: "The 21 indispensable qualities of a leader" written by John C. Maxwell?

Maxwell identifies these top traits as character, charisma, commitment, communication, competence, courage, discernment, focus, generosity, initiative, listening, passion, positive attitude, problem-solving, relationships, responsibility, security, self-discipline, servanthood, teachability, and vision and he defines them in ways that readers can absorb and utilize. Very interesting book.

In my viewpoint Sheikh Hamdan has developed these qualities by virtue of one of his passions - horseriding. To partake in these horse racing and win medals is an example of self-discipline. By the way, he has shown an extreme love towards horses and falcons, which I presume most Emiratis admire.

He works and not alone seen by leisure activities: Hamdan Bin Mohammed issues resolutions | H.H Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum - Fazza

An outstanding leader in the Arabic world is a person who is able to initiate change and improvement by keeping group solidarity and yet at the same time avoid a pure absolute rule. Rulership in the Arabic cluster is a paradoxical concept, that involves dual and contradictory attributes:
- Desire for paternalistic rulership strong yet also desire for visionary, charismatic and transformational leaders
- team oriented and charismatic are as most effective
- team orientation consistent with family and in group oriented societal culture
- however a ruler must also be transformational, charismatic and future and performance oriented
- A dual set of values, simultaneously western and eastern
- respect to cultural values because it have influenced the context of rulership in the UAE and the region
- navigate the interaction of politics, culture, ethnicity and society

CP Shaikh Hamdan bin Mohammed forms Advisory Board of 'Dubai Smart Government'

Hamdan forms Advisory Board of 'Dubai Smart Government' - Emirates 24/7

Shaikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum has issued the Executive Council Resolution No (5) of 2014 on Law No (4) of 2011 regarding the Mohammed bin Rashid Housing Establishment. The Resolution prescribes the services offered by the establishment, the fees applicable on each service, the terms and conditions applied and the regulations applicable.

Shaikh Hamdan issues bylaw on MBR Housing Establishment - Khaleej Times

Is Sheikh Hamdan really getting married?

He not getting married. Just gossip! Over the years a lot of rumors came to run. Especially about his private life and his relationships which he should have had allegedly. Also Hamdan will be 32 in November this year and not 28 as the article claims. Official announcemnts of engagements not made in UAE. Where he should have announced such an engagement publicly? We should wait for something official like a wedding.

Last edited:
Ok thank you Iman :) and I also didn't find anything about the girl when I googled the name. Also the girl in picture is someone else. Whoever wrote the article contains all the rumors/speculations that we have seen all over internet. But I am shocked how come the writer has mentioned a girl's name and posted her education information and that she has had secured a royal scholarship. The strange thing is that the person knows details of her scholarship and degree name but has no picture of her. Plus where did Hamdan announce, I didn't come across any such post on his twitter, facebook pages. This is why I think its a fake publicity attempt by some girl.

Iman read the article link I posted. And are you sure its fake?

Its gossip. Look at the picture. Such an image would never been made as an official one. Also the woman reminds me of an Iraqi singer and actress, Rahma Riad (picture of her within the link and two other images can be found here and here). She living in Bahrain.

Whoever wrote the article contains all the rumors/speculations that we have seen all over internet. But I am shocked how come the writer has mentioned a girl's name and posted her education information and that she has had secured a royal scholarship. The strange thing is that the person knows details of her scholarship and degree name ....

The website which posted first is not an official news agency and their sources are not reliable and mostly untrustworthy. All this information can be based on rumors and be incorrect or may even be invented. For instance: There are no shantytowns for refugees near Dubai or within the whole UAE. Around Dubai is desert and Sharjah is the next city to us in the near! She may life in Dubai or in Sharjah but it is not possible to life just 'near' Dubai.

Whether truth, rumor or lie: Its a shame to call her a 'street girl' which means she is a ...! I am shocked by the choice of words in the article.

Last edited:
Currently Shaikh Hamdan is in London. Such a possible engagement would hardly announced publicly at Royal Ascot or anywhere else by him. ;) So take it as a gossip and thats what it is only!

Last edited:
The same article is copied by many arabic websites. Hope not true !!

The same article is copied by many arabic websites.

And that's what the author of the article wanted - cause a stir! :nonono: Therefore its best to take it as a gossip only!

Last edited:
Rossina, the sheikh is in london for Ascot and seemingly busy, so why would he make such an announcement at the moment. Plus I do not find any annoucement made by him up til now. Doesn't all looks like hoax, self generated publicity stunt? Eg. The same old half cousin story, engagement to Sheikha bint Saeed, etc. I saw today some fresh Pictures of Ascot and Sheikh Hamdan looks so relaxed, uninformed about what is being reported on the internet. And seriously if he had made such an announcement during Ascot, which is nowhere on the internet, the british tabloid and news agencies would have picked up the story real fast. That's what I think! May be I am wrong.

Last edited:
Personally, i dont trust such articles.
UAE royals are very conservative..they follow strict traditions that control their personal lives. Usuallay no official announcements for engagements or marriages unless a banquet or celebration is organized by the family. Therefore, sources for such info are so limited & Often unreliable.

Last edited:
Personally, i dont trust such articles.
UAE royals are very conservative and follow strict traditions that control their personal lives. Usuallay no official announcements for engagements or marriages unless a banquet or celebration is organized by the family. Therefore, sources for such info are so limited & Often unreliable.

99% agreement! :flowers: Generally traditions are not as static as they seem to like to be. Also within the ruling families of UAE a small challenge in the pursuit of traditions and protocol is recognizable. For instance: Apparantly Shaikh Majid married in January this year outside of protocol (the marriage procedure is meant and not the bride he chose) and without an approval of his family.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom