Dubai Ruling Family at the Epsom Derby: 2004-2005, 2008-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dennism

Majesty
City
East of the sun and west of the moon
Country
United States
The modern Princess Haya appears to be changing the traditional role of the Arab wife. Sheikh Maktoum's "new wife", is being seen at his side in public at an increasing number of major events. Haya's presence too has shown a softening of the normally stern-looking Sheikh Epsom Derby_05/06/04

I like those hats! :lol: Hers too, cute!

From the Daily Telegraph

Why the sheikh is in such a spin

Those fortunate enough to be employed by Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin racing operation have always worked to a simple rule. Keep the big man happy and everything else falls into place.

In the future, though, things might not prove so simple. For insiders say that Mohammed, who owns Derby favourite Snow Ridge, is being much influenced by his new 29-year-old wife, Princess Haya of Jordan.

"Haya is unlike traditional Arab wives - and certainly nothing like Mohammed's first wife, Sheikha, who was kept very much in the background," says my Newmarket mole. "She insists on going racing with Mohammed, and has very Western ideas about how their relationship should work. Everyone is taking great care to be on her right side."

The princess, who will be on her husband's arm at Epsom over the next two days, certainly has the credentials to be taken seriously. The daughter of the late King Hussein, she was educated at Bryanston School in Dorset before going on to study PPE at St Hilda's, Oxford. She is also an accomplished show jumper who competed in the Sydney Olympics.

"Whisper it quietly, but Sheikh Mo is head-over-heels in love," says another source familiar with the situation. "Only a fool would ignore the fact that Haya is now a very powerful lady as a result."

Can Dubawi make sentimental Shaikh Mohammed’s Derby dream become reality?
By Pirate Irwin (AFP)

2 June 2005

PARIS — Racing may be a multi-million dollar business but there is also room for sentiment especially where General Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai Crown Prince and UAE Minister of Defence, is concerned and should Dubawi win the blue riband of the turf, the Epsom Derby, this weekend expect perhaps a tear drop or two.

While Dubawi will run in the blue silks of The Godolphin Operation — ostensibly under the Maktoum family banner but the brainchild of General Shaikh Mohammed — his victory would mean even more to the Defence Minister of the UAE than Lammtarra’s in the 1995 edition.

The reason? Because he is by the sire (father) that meant more to General Shaikh Mohammed than any other of his champions he has had over the years he has competed for the best prizes in European racing.

Dubai Millennium was quite simply the best for General Shaikh Mohammed and while he didn’t manage to capture the Derby — he ran out of stamina in his attempt — it didn’t diminish him in the eyes of his owner.

So attached was he to Dubai Millennium that when he was struck down in 2001 with grass sickness — a virtually untreatable illness for horses — General Shaikh Mohammed flew back to be beside him when he breathed his last moments.

General Shaikh Mohammed described him as “the horse of a lifetime” after wins in the world’s richest race, the Dubai World Cup, St James’s Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot, Prix Jacques Le Marois and Queen Elizabeth II Stakes - all Group Ones.

He went to stud as the winner of nine races and having won 2.75 million pounds ($3.85 million) in prize money. Now General Shaikh Mohammed and his urbane racing manager Simon Crisford will be biting their fingernails — probably to the quick — to see if Dubawi can reflect his father’s greatness and indeed achieve what he didn’t manage to do and win the Epsom Derby. Whether he can is debatable after a less than impressive performance first up in the English 2000 Guineas — where he finished sixth and never looked comfortable albeit on ground he didn’t like — but then bounced back to win the Irish equivalent a fortnight ago.

“He would certainly get a mile and a quarter (10 furlongs) but the extra two furlongs at Epsom may be too far,” admitted Crisford.

“However, there is stamina on his dam (mother) side and he has turbo style speed so that should stand him in good stead.”

Also in his favour is that looking at the field as of Tuesday one would be hard pressed to even claim that the race was of classic standard even with the favourite Motivator being highly thought of by the pundits.

When Lammtarra won it was not in the Godolphin colours but it still brought out the emotions as he had been trained as a juvenile by Alex Scott — who was then shot dead by a disgruntled former employee. Dubawi’s victory would be also a time to remember a late and favoured member of the Maktoum circle albeit of a four legged variety.

“My love for horses seems unremarkable to me,” General Shaikh Mohammed is quoted on the Godolphin website.

“It is part of my blood, my soul and my history.”

On Saturday all of those will be consummated should Dubawi carry those blue silks over the line in first place and perhaps get an appreciative nod from his dad up in the equivalent of equine heaven

Sheikhs at Epsom

UAE Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai Deputy Ruler and UAE Minister of Finance and Industry Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum and Dubai Crown Prince and UAE Defence Minister General Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum were at Epsom Downs yesterday, watching as Eswarah gave Sheikh Hamdan his second victory in the Epsom Oaks (Group 1).

Gulf Today

Mohammed attends Derby

Al Ittihad

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Dubai Crown Prince and UAE Defence Minister General Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum was at Epsom racecourse yesterday when Johnny Murtagh rode Motivator to victory in the Vodafone Derby. Frankie Dettori and Godolphin's Dubawi, sired by the legendary Dubai Millennium, finished third.

Sheikh Mohammed meets Queen Elizabeth

Al Bayan

Monday, June 06, 2005

Dubai Crown Prince and UAE Defence Minister General Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum met with Queen Elizabeth II at Epsom racecourse on Saturday. They discussed the Derby, which the Queen attends every year. She wished the UAE horses success.

Last edited by a moderator:
More new pics from earlier this month, this time in England at the Epsom Derby
Haya looks very good in hats

Attachments

• 240517_Maktoums_Derby_NPIX.jpg
    240517_Maktoums_Derby_NPIX.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,290
  • 240519_Prcss_Haya_Derby_NPI.jpg
    240519_Prcss_Haya_Derby_NPI.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,216
  • 240521_Prcss_Haya_Derby_NPI.jpg
    240521_Prcss_Haya_Derby_NPI.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,168
New Approach and jockey Kevin Manning are led to the winners enclosure by HRH Princess Haya of Jordan (R) after winning The Vodafone Derby during the Derby meeting at Epsom race course, Surrey, southern England, on 07 June 2008. The Epsom Derby is one of the five British Classic Races. EPA/ALAN CROWHURST

ANP Beeldbank

Sorry to say but Sheikh Mohammed & Haya IMO dont act like their age in public. I watched a small part of the event & Haya looked like a little child running along, it was sad. Her outfit was very old. It was good to see Sheikh Mohammed's other sons at the race.

I guess the couple will stay in the UK till the royal ascot races which is June 17.

A few more pictures
Sheikh 1 -- Sheikh 2
(ANP)

Pic 1 -- Pic 2 -- Pic 3
(gettyimages)

Pic 1 -- Pic 2 -- Pic 3 -- Pic 4 & a close up
(IBL)

Article & Pictures from Hello Magazine and another article via Reuters

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures dazzling. So true, Haya presents herself like a silly little girl who is only allowed to be around because of her husband, and not like the owner of a Derby winner. They have this strange body language, he's almost breaking her hand when dragging her along to the winning post.

OH!! yes their behavior were a little silly Princess haya and her husband.:rolleyes:
but I like her outfit nice colour.

Why do they have to walk so fast? It's funny how Haya has to run with her high heels. They could walk slowly.

an article from the race, a small part on what P.Haya had to say

For Princess Haya it was a dream come true, even if her husband is yet to taste glory in his own colours or those of his other brainchild Godolphin, whose sole runner Rio de la Plata finished unplaced.
"It's his (Sheikh Mohammed) horse, its really wonderful," gasped Princess Haya.
"It is such an amazing feeling and I can't believe it."
For Sheikh Mohammed it too was a highly satisfying moment.
"He is a truly extraordinary animal and when he was asked a question he answered it and proved that he is a great horse."
- and for the full artice click here

here is also another article which P.Haya had to say

"I think he has a brilliance that we never saw before," Princess Haya said. To which the sheikh added: "I thought he'd get tired after he was pulling and fighting [for his head]."

Why do they have to walk so fast? It's funny how Haya has to run with her high heels. They could walk slowly.

They were more than likely walking fast because of the horse. After all, he did just run 1 1/2 miles. Also New Approach, to put it kindly, is a bit highstrung, and they were having a devil of a time trying to keep him calm with the crowd. There was no way they could've walked slower with the way he was behaving.

Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin Stable was dealt a harsh blow when their big hope for Royal Ascot, Creachadoir, came out of his workout the other day with a fracture to his off-fore. He'll be out for the rest of the year and may not race again.

Last edited:
OH!! yes their behavior were a little silly Princess haya and her husband.:rolleyes:
but I like her outfit nice colour.
What is so silly - how are they supposed to behave when they are on the way to the winner circle with a racehorse that has just run a race?

It was very sweet of the Sheik to turn around with the horse so he could grab Princess Haya's hand and bring her along.

May 12, 2009 - I was quite suprised to see Haya, never seen her so smiley, so dressed up like this.

Epsom Derby Preview Party Review 2009

A host of guests from the world of racing enjoyed the launch of the Derby Festival 2009.The party was hosted by Her Royal Highness, Princess Haya of Jordan, the owner of New Approach who won last year's Group 1 Classic, The Derby... - Article with tons of pictures

and two bigger pictures from the event

Last edited:
i loved her dress so much the hair looks stunning too, overall she looks amazing :)

EXCLUSIVE: The King and Haya - Muhammad Ali saved my Olympic dream, says Princess

The Princess and the King sounds like a fairytale, and in a way it was. The Princess in question is HRH Princess Haya of Jordan, wife of Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Al
Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai and probably the most prolific owner of racehorses in the world.

Her Royal Highness is the proud owner of the 2008 Derby winner New Approach and is seeking a double at Epsom tomorrow with the John Gosden-trained 66-1 outsider Debussy... - Full Article

JUNE 06, 2009 - HRH Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein of Jordan and HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum watch the feature race during the Epsom Derby Festivalat Epsom Racecourse on June 6, 2009 in Epsom, England (Photo by Indigo/Getty Images)

Pic 1 -- Pic 2 -- Pic 3 -- Pic 4 -- pic 5 -- Pic 6

lovely pics , black color suits her.

i want a close up of haya's ring, it looks major. how did Godolphin do at epsom? i saw a grim looking picture of dettori so i assume they didnt do well(maybe im wrong). i saw two darley horses tdy in belmont. one came in second and the other didnt do well.

i want a close up of haya's ring, it looks major. how did Godolphin do at epsom? i saw a grim looking picture of dettori so i assume they didnt do well(maybe im wrong). i saw two darley horses tdy in belmont. one came in second and the other didnt do well.

To put it kindly, they sucked big time. Darley and Godolphin didn't do well at Belmont either today. Regal Ransom, one of Godolphin's Kentucky Derby runners, scratched from his race with an injury and will be out for a little while.

JUNE 06, 2009 - HRH Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein of Jordan and HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum watch the feature race during the Epsom Derby Festivalat Epsom Racecourse on June 6, 2009 in Epsom, England (Photo by Indigo/Getty Images)

Pic 1 -- Pic 2 -- Pic 3 -- Pic 4 -- pic 5 -- Pic 6

the third one is lovely :rolleyes:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2yo65w3.jpg (originally posted by salma)
Does Her Majesty know Princess Haya? It appears that they had lively conversation.

I am sure she does, they meet almost every year at the royal ascot races and have a brief talk. Last year there were pictures of Haya talking to the queen with her hat off and another picture having a laugh with P.Charles & Camilla.

what ever happened to their child? i know that a lot of royals are photographed with their children at various "public" events. rania and abdullah are often photographed with their children. other than a pic of her at the olympics, she has been M. I. A.

Personally, I dont think a horse race is a place to take a young child too. Royals have been seen with their children at events that youngsters can make enjoy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom