Divorce For Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid & Princess Haya

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My sympathy is with the children, not so much with Haya. She has been part of the system Sheikh Mohammed for a long time and has benefitted a great deal from it. I don't think she was only a loyal tool but had a similar ambition and hunger for power. At least in the first decade of their marriage.

Aren't we putting the cart before the horse with no concrete and credible reasons to lay insinuations that Zayed's parentage is in question? Seems to me I've heard this kind of thing happening before but as the child grew older, resembled his father more and more into adulthood. Nevertheless, the rumors still see the light of day still every now and then.

I would also think that even though this case will be heard in the UK, there will be also taken into consideration that both parents are Muslim and adhere to Islamic law and customs. This is a pretty interesting link I've found.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/8189/who-has-more-right-to-custody-in-islam

Please confine your comments to the title of this thread and refrain from speculating about Princess Haya`s children.

Thank you,
Rossina
UAE Forum Moderator

I don't think your link info would matter if they all end up back in Dubai.

I just really found the information interesting. I'm a result of a western culture and not overly familiar with the ins and outs of Islamic law and culture but just the differences in what "custody" entails and the ages of the child etc. were a lot more involved and specific. There are so many here that are way more informed than I.

I cannot nor will I put out an opinion on what should happen in this case because, frankly, so much of it is new to me and I've found it interesting to follow and once again, I'm checking off that "learn something new everyday" box. ?

Sheikh Mohammed and Princess Haya say court case concerns their children

London high court to consider welfare of children, not divorce, statement says

The imminent courtroom battle between Princess Haya of Jordan and her estranged husband, Sheikh Mohammed of Dubai, is a dispute over their children’s welfare, it has been revealed.

In a highly unusual move, following extensive international publicity the couple issued a statement on Thursday through the high court confirming the legal issues involved in the case.

So they aren't, atm at least, divorcing? Maybe Haya is trying to get a legal settlement about their children and their upbringing before seeking a divorce.

Sheikh Mohammed and Princess Haya say court case concerns their children

London high court to consider welfare of children, not divorce, statement says

The imminent courtroom battle between Princess Haya of Jordan and her estranged husband, Sheikh Mohammed of Dubai, is a dispute over their children’s welfare, it has been revealed.

In a highly unusual move, following extensive international publicity the couple issued a statement on Thursday through the high court confirming the legal issues involved in the case.

A two Day session Sounds alot...

Last edited:
The estranged Dubai ruler's nephew Marcus Essabri speaks out: how the case will reveal secrets of the royal household and how the sheikh's daughters princesses Latifa and Shamsa have been treated

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...se-secrets-UAE-rulers-house-says-insider.html
The articles and interviews that decry Sheikha Latifa's and Sheikha Shamsa's situations can be viewed as a concerted effort to make Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rachid, shall we say, retire. The vilification process is recognisable.

Last edited:
I hope this woman and her children are not snatched off the streets of London as well.

I'm afraid that the rest of their life will be such a nightmare. He will chase them until he manages to take the kids back. He is rich enough to use an entire army to kidnap them even from inside the Downing street.
I hope this woman and her children are not snatched off the streets of London as well.

Haya is too high profile to simply snatch her or the children off the street, I don't think this will happen.
Sheikh Mohammed will back down as soon as his bosses, the presidential family of the UAE, think that this topic is too much of a disturbance within international relations.

Haya is too high profile to simply snatch her or the children off the street, I don't think this will happen.
Sheikh Mohammed will back down as soon as his bosses, the presidential family of the UAE, think that this topic is too much of a disturbance within international relations.
I don't think that he has any envy on taking back princess Haya, to do what with her in Dubai? Just take revenge? No.
But the kids, yes. He has a feeling of possession very high, to let them go.
He didn't have any special bond with Sheikhas Latifa and Samsa, why he didn't simply let both go?
He does have strong bonds with his two little, Al Jalila and Zayed, IMO he will do his utmost to have them back.
As for him obeying to the family government, I don't know well the UAE ruling sustem, you might be right.

And finally I would like to raise a question, which none before did. Why this treatment to his 2 daughters? He was even not close to them.
Because he does not accept woman's freedom?
Because they knew thinks they should not?
Because he was afraid they would live abroad a non appropriate life?
Any idea or opinion is welcome.

I think the culture is that the man is the head of the family, even more so within a ruling and this powerful family. The word of Sheikh Mohammed is the law in Dubai, why would he be more tolerant in private life? The bigger the family the more difficult the effort to keep everything together and 'perfect', everybody has to function and weakness or different ideas that do not support the cause of absolute power are not welcome. We always forget the case of Rashid bin Mohammed, the eldest son, who died under tragic circumstances and had a difficult live according to rumours because he fell out with his father (there is a separate thread for it I believe).
Bottom line Sheikh Mohammed does not tolerate dissent at any cost.

Haya was different in public because she filled the role of 'western showpony', making everything more approachable and look less rigid than it was behind closed doors.

Last edited:
I think Princess Haya and her children, like the Sheikh's other wives, led her life pretty much in her own little world in isolation from the rest. Each sort of in their own little bubble. The man has 30 or so children and it seems he either cares about them or they are grown and appropriately married long since and have little to do with their father's "Second Wife".

I also am of the belief that the second escape attempt by Princess Latifa was more than likely the first time that Princess Haya really heard anything much about her. To be co-opted into a position to act as a go-between between her husband and the world has exposed her to an ugly side of him that may have shocked and frightened her, especially discovered that Latifa's sister was also confined within the 'Palace' wall so to speak.

Haya grew up as the daughter of a much-loved wife. Her passion for riding was indulged from a very early age. As an adolescent who she liked or didn't within the family was irrelevant. She had a very western education and continued her passion for equestrian sports. She could say or feel what she liked and had never lived in fear in her own home.

She would wonder what was so bad that two women way past normal marriageable age had been instead confined. Why just them or, are there others that she or we do not know about. I don't know about any of you but I would be afraid both for myself and especially my daughter.

I think Princess Haya and her children, like the Sheikh's other wives, led her life pretty much in her own little world in isolation from the rest. Each sort of in their own little bubble. The man has 30 or so children and it seems he either cares about them or they are grown and appropriately married long since and have little to do with their father's "Second Wife".

Sheikh Mohammed lives in his own world too, I remember it was stated that when the wedding took place, two of his sons traveled with him to Jordan but had no idea that their father was about to get married to Haya, neither was their mother (who grew up in the same culture and knows that this does not concern her position anyway). I don't think we are talking about a 'normal' family structure by any means, Sheikh Mohammed does what he wants and pulls the strings with his separate family units and business units.

He has a vicious old fashioned wicked mentality, strengthened by the power of money unfortunately.
If he was not who he is, but just a local middle well-off guy in the middle of the desert, firstly I doubt that he could afford 6 wifes and 30 kids. His family would not have known another kind of life, consequently no clash.

The issue with him is that he wants to apply his old-fashioned mentality and enter to occident.
You cannot wear occidental bonjour attire, go to the races near the Queen of UK and oblige your relatives to obey to your middle age mentality, just because you are crazily rich.
By the way, is the hearing to the Court tomorrow?

Last edited:
Dubai royal insider breaks silence on escaped princesses | 60 Minutes Australia

It is good to see the Princess personally attending court sessions after all this drama. She looks fine but a bit tensed with the rosary in her hands.

Indeed good thing to see Princess Haya today
She looks tense but it's nirmal this is no kidding situation i hope the court wil take the best decision for the kids

Princess Haya asked for wardship of her children - with whom she left the United Arab Emirates (UAE) - as well as a forced marriage protection order and a non-molestation order.
The details of the orders sought by the princess are not known.
Sheikh Mohammed meanwhile applied for the return of his children to Dubai, and also applied for the court to impose reporting restrictions on details about the orders - a request the judge rejected.
Princess Haya_ Dubai ruler's wife seeks marriage protection order - BBC News

Princess Haya asked for wardship of her children - with whom she left the United Arab Emirates (UAE) - as well as a forced marriage protection order and a non-molestation order.
The details of the orders sought by the princess are not known.
Sheikh Mohammed meanwhile applied for the return of his children to Dubai, and also applied for the court to impose reporting restrictions on details about the orders - a request the judge rejected.
Princess Haya_ Dubai ruler's wife seeks marriage protection order - BBC News

This is the big advantage to the case being heard in the UK. :D

And who would be the one who forced her to marry Sheikh Mohammed?
King Abdullah?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom