Divorce For Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid & Princess Haya

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also believe there must have something that triggered this. It won't blow out of proportion if there wasn't. Let's be honest, the royals of the Gulf does things differently.

Princess Haya is also a Muslim princess. Jordanian royals might be a little westernized in so many ways but she is a Muslim and she knows exactly how everything is. I don't think she married into this family clueless of everything.

Let's just wait for the result of the case. Princess Haya is a formidable woman. She has a Hashemite blood running in her veins. Blood that is revered in all Arab states.

If King Mohammed and Princess Lalla Salma was able to settle after a whole year of chaos. I know this doesn't concern them but I hope they can also reach into a settlement.

Last edited:
I doubt he was going to marry her of so young (though not impossible) but I wonder if he had made it clear he had an arranged marriage in mind for Al Jalila or even had announced a private engagement or commitment to marry someone else. We did see his sons engaged/married recently which seemed to be somewhat arranged unions if I recall.

I can't fault Haya at all for not wanting that for her own children, she did seem to genuinely be very happy with Sheikh Mohammed and her life in Dubai until not all that long ago so clearly something has made her review those choices.

It might be pertinent to consider, if there was a forced marriage in Al Jalila's future, who exactly the sheikh had in mind. It might be that a theoretical marriage is one thing, but the specific man proposed might have seriously alarmed Haya.

I am shocked too,marrying an 11 years old girl is beyong horrific..and i wonder if the Sheikh was arranging for her a suilable marriage (according to him) when she came to the right age or he was marrying her right away...i don't remember any of Sheikh Mohammed's daughters married underage,feel free to correct me if i am wrong

I think it might be a preventative measure.

None of Sheikh Mohammed daughters got married at such a young age. Perhaps princess Haya is concerned about her daughter`s future, she is trying to protect her from now. If this marriage continued & as her dad`s favorite, Jalilah might have received many marriages offers from her cousins & other UAE Sheikhs who aim to be close to her father.

Last edited:
It might be pertinent to consider, if there was a forced marriage in Al Jalila's future, who exactly the sheikh had in mind. It might be that a theoretical marriage is one thing, but the specific man proposed might have seriously alarmed Haya.

maybe some alnahyan or an important Saudi man

Exactly, and a measure that can give her an advantage at the court.

I mean, I wouldn't put it past him.

It seems like Princess Haya is afraid on the Sheikh making decisions for the kids. Asking they become wards of the court, means that the court gets a say when it comes to big decisions, not Haya.

Asking for this, to me at least, means that Princess Haya does not trust his judgement and would rather the authority off of his hand even if not to her.

I hope she and the children are all safe.

Because although arranged marriages is the tradition in all the gulf royalty none of the girls or boys were forced to marry at 11.
There are men in different cultures who harm their children, just to get to their wives. He could be one of them

Wife number 6...Who in his/her right mind would even contemplate to settle for that with that man,for someone in Princess Haya's position that is,born a daughter of King Hussein,educated in the west.It wasn't a mariage of love that's for sure.That she kept on smiling for the outside world is simply because she was raised a Royal.It is all in the breeding,you don't hang your dirty laundry out
I totally agree with you

Wife number 6...Who in his/her right mind would even contemplate to settle for that with that man,for someone in Princess Haya's position that is,born a daughter of King Hussein,educated in the west.It wasn't a mariage of love that's for sure.That she kept on smiling for the outside world is simply because she was raised a Royal.It is all in the breeding,you don't hang your dirty laundry out

but their marriage lasted for so long, she was seen in almost every high profile event with the sheikh and she supported him through the issue of latifa (setting up the meeting with mary robinson, giving an interview to the irish radio)... those are hardly actions that one does if there is not some appreciation for the other party, i imagine. if hers was a forced marriage, she would have stayed in the shadows more.

Has the Jordanian Royal Court commented on this already?

Yes this has a meaning.
Is it her brother from Queen Alia or from another mother?

Prince Ali is her only full brother.

I don't think that he will marry his daughter Àl Jalila at the age of 11. But he might promiss her to a fiancé and marry her at 18 or 20, without asking her opinion. Didn't he force his son CP Hamdan to marry against his will? Why he wouldn't do with a little girl, whose opinion in his mind counts much less?

Sheikha Sheikha, daughter of Sheikh Mohammad and Hind, was promised to Nasr from Bahrain when she was around 12 years old and If I remember well, the two got married a week before she got 16. That's only a couple of years ago so Haya was well aware of the risk she took with al Jalila. Anyway, I'm glad she came to her senses and gets her daughter out now. Culture or not, child marriages are never a good idea in my opinion and Mo seems to be totally losing his mind.

His bizar treatment of Shamsa and Latifa is criminal by all international standards. The forced-cousin-"marriages" of his three sons. What is he thinking???!

Last edited:
Is it just me or does Haya look different?
No, IMO Haya looks different, definitely stressed and probably scared yet she seems resolute. She is also starting to dress in a much less obvious way. Perhaps she had someone dressing her and the children for her western appearances, I don't know but she has changed since the last photos I saw of her.

I admire her decision to come to the UK for the court case as because of their situation once the case is set with both parents fighting for total custody they automatically become wards of the court and cannot be taken out of the UK by either parent until the court makes a determination.

I am surprised as the number of comments making what to me are harsh statements of "fact", or that "Haya knew what she was getting into" or couching her actions in terms of avarice. I have never seen anything that would indicate that she had intimate knowledge of the internal workings of the family of the Sheikh or the plight of some of his children.

Similarly, I did not see any sign that King Hussein and now King Abdullah were short of money. The wives of father and son have each possessed beautiful jewellery. Alia's is now in Haya's possession and her mother's tiara is a stunning halo of rare beauty. Rania now has four new tiaras of her own.

From what we saw of Princess Haya and Sheikh Mohammad at Ascot she always seemed happy but she always looked happy when she was competing. Her default was always a beautiful smile and I believe she was generally happy with her life and the sort of person, like the two York Princesses, to whom smiling comes naturally too.

I believe being confronted with the ugly situation surrounding Latifa and then being thrust into the spotlight as the "Western" face of the Sheikh and his family ostensibly to allay fears of Latifa's situation which, if you were not aware of the intimate details, finding Shamsa in the same situation would be a frightening position to find herself in especially as she has a daughter.

Finding out about the weird marriage of three of the Sheikh's sons and perhaps finding that a marriage had been, or was to be, arranged for her daughter's future would serve as an alarming wakeup call if she has indeed been living a happy life oblivious to what was going with her husband's children from his earlier marriages.

Whatever the situation, I do not believe we will find out very many details of the case because the custody of the children will probably not be held in open court or isn't in any other Family Court type of proceeding. The minors have privacy and protection. I am not sure about the UK, but in NZ children have their own special court-appointed representatives.

In conclusion, I truly believe the motivation for Haya's flight was finding out that the world she was living in was not the way she thought and that it had the potential to adversely affect both she and her children.

:previous: I think it's entirely possible for Haya to have known about how the Sheikh operated, but not really believe that he would apply those same standards to her and her children. She would have to be delusional to a remarkable degree to have been completely unaware of how things worked for others, but still thought she was protected by her position, and perhaps his affection for her. Apparently she no longer believes that she and her children have special status, and sought out the protection of the British courts, and world public opinion. We'll see how much protection those offer her. I have very low expectations for a positive outcome in the long term--her husband is someone who is used to doing as he chooses, mostly without consequences.

Agree with you. I believe that when Haya married Sheikh Muhammed even as a sixth wife she believed that she would have a special status. Since she is socially and by blood and education much higher than the other wives and the sheikh himself she was immediately granted another life. Non valed, travelling abroad, having sport and UN ambassador tasks she might though that this status will be automatically applied to her kids. She of course knew about the life granted to Sheikha Hind and her kids but since their mum was applying the purdah it was for her normal that tradition will be applied to them. But something showed her that life she, princess Haya, a Hashemite and descendent of the prophet can do, her kids cannot. All Sheikh Muhammed kids, including Haya’s kids belong to him and not to her, and he will make them live the life he wants and not that she wants,
Princess Haya is bristish éducated, is any of Sheik Muhammed daughters educated out of Dubai? I strongly doubt. Something triggered this reaction and the escape. Maybe the déstiny of the 2 girls, Latifa and Sansa, maybe she discovered that her daughter was already promissed to a guy, so no studies no life abroad.
Maybe the kid was asked to wear the Vale since she will soon be a teen, who knows.
But I found unfair to say that she knew since the beginning of the marriage. Of course she knew the mentality but she did not know that this mentality might be applied to her kids. Jordan is also a Muslim country but these scenarios don't exist there, at least to the royal family.

I believe being confronted with the ugly situation surrounding Latifa and then being thrust into the spotlight as the "Western" face of the Sheikh and his family ostensibly to allay fears of Latifa's situation which, if you were not aware of the intimate details, finding Shamsa in the same situation would be a frightening position to find herself in especially as she has a daughter.

Sorry but the timeline does not support that at all:

Sheikha Shamsa ran away in 2001, similar to the situation with Latifa 15 years later, but the media did not pick up in the same way. But it was well known.
Haya married Sheikh Mohammed in 2004, immediately became the 'western face' and was installed in high profile positions.
Haya's half brother, the King of Jordan and close political ally of Sheikh Mohammed, supported the marriage.
If Haya did not know what was going on in the family at the point of her marriage, she is extremely naive, what she is certainly not.
I believe too that she thought that certain rules don't apply to her but only recently found out that this is not the case.
I don't know what happened but it is clear that for both parents the children are the biggest leverage they have and they are being used by both parents now for their own purposes.
If the Sheikh somehow meant danger for the children, its a good thing they were being removed from Dubai and his rule. But if for example Haya 'cheated' on the Sheikh (is that possible for a man who has multiple wives?) her children mean protection for her and a much better position for divorce proceedings. We simply do not know what triggered the escape to London and if there is an innocent party here apart from the children.

Last edited:
Side note: It's not very accurate to say that the Sheikh HAS six wives. Muslims cannot have more than 4 wives at the same time. The Sheikh HAS HAD six wives but (as far as we know) only has two now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom