Divorce For Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid & Princess Haya

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for answering my question.
I find it interesting that you would label the behaviour you describe as „not stupid and naive“. If you know a person to be tyrannical and vengeful it would in my book be the ultimate stupidity and naiveté to think that you, of all people, would be able to oppose them in any way and not have them turn on you. If Haya knew who she was dealing with from the beginning why did not she continue to play along?

On the other hand I would not call it dumb and naive to see people you love or are in some way close to in a rosy light that they maybe do not deserve. It is unfortunate but it is human, and I think most people, including myself, will do it or have done it in one way or another at some point in their lives.

(Not commenting on Princess Haya specifically here, I admittedly have no idea what her motives or perceptions may have been in this relationship.)

Last edited:
Ten-day hearing is expected to lead to largest divorce payout in British legal history.

During court hearings earlier this month, the princess said she has been “beset by threats and pressures” since leaving Dubai more than two years ago, the FT reported.

According to the paper, her lawyers successfully managed to extend an existing non-molestation order (a type of injunction often sought by domestic abuse victims) that “banned the sheikh or his associates from a 100-metre exclusion zone” around her Berkshire bolthole, Castlewood mansion. The injunction also reportedly upheld “a 1,000ft no-fly zone above it to protect her and blocked any purchase of the 77-acre estate”.

“The prospect of Sheikh Mohammed, or those on his behalf buying the properties around Castlewood is terrifying and utterly wearing,” Haya was said to have testified. “It feels like the walls are closing in on me. I feel like I am defending myself against a whole ‘state’.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...s-haya-sheikh-mohammed-dubai-legal-battle?amp

The Divorce case hearing started and his children started posting Sheikh Mohammed's pictures on Instagram with my world, best dad caption ��

Sheikh Mohammed has been ordered to pay Princess Haya and their two children a record £554 million settlement, it was announced today.

A spokesman for Sheikh Mohammed said in a statement: "He has always ensured that his children are provided for. The court has now made its ruling on finances and he does not intend to comment further. He asks that the media respect the privacy of his children and do not intrude into their lives in the UK":

** afp via dailymail: London court orders Dubai ruler to pay 'record' divorce settlement **

** bbc: Princess Haya: The princess, the sheikh and the £550m divorce settlement **

Well, suddenly Haya is richer in pure cash than the whole Jordanese royal family together ... Anyway, a sad affair, especially for the children and most likely the Sheikh would not even notice any drop in his liquidities.

Half of it is for the children until they reach adulthood. A large part of the remaining half has been worked out on security needs for her and the children for the next decade+ to protect them, mainly from their father.

Referring to the previous rulings, Moor, who ordered that the sheikh pay over £250m upfront to Haya and provide a bank guarantee of £290m for annual payments, said: “I am entirely satisfied that this means that, although HRH (her royal highness Haya) and the children would require security provision in any event, given their status and the general threats of terrorism and kidnap faced in such circumstances, they are particularly vulnerable and need water-tight security to ensure their continued safety and security in this country.

“Most importantly in this regard, and absolutely uniquely, the main threat they face is from HH (his highness the sheikh) himself not from outside sources. This is compounded by the full weight of the state that he has available to him as seen by his ability to make use of the Pegasus software, which is only available to governments.”

The settlement includes £210m, which must be paid within three months, to cover the security costs of Haya, for her expected lifetime, and her children until they finish tertiary education. The sheikh must also pay £41.5m up front to his ex-wife for chattels cash for education and maintenance arrears and £5.6m a year for each child for maintenance until they finish their tertiary education, when he must instead pay them directly the same amount but for their security. If the bank guarantee were used in full, the settlement would reach £554m, although that could vary depending on how long the yearly payments last.

If you go to the end of the judgement there are a number of tables showing the breakdown of what the lump sum is for.

Interesting how the sheikh was ordered to pay for security to protect his ex-wife and children from himself... but it makes sense that it is rather expensive to be protected from someone with his history and powers.

Last edited:
Will Haya see any of this money? It's a serious question. If sheikh Muhammand bows to no law, why would he respect british court ruling.

Will Haya see any of this money? It's a serious question. If sheikh Muhammand bows to no law, why would he respect british court ruling.

I was wondering that myself. Does he have any assets in the UK? Does a divorce court have the authority to seize those assets in order to make good on the settlement?

I was wondering that myself. Does he have any assets in the UK? Does a divorce court have the authority to seize those assets in order to make good on the settlement?
In the court decision it is written that he will open a bank guarantee for about 300 mio £. If he stopped fulfilling his obligations they will use it. And this for the whole period he has to pay to Pcs Haya.
Furthermore I think also that he has many assets to be seazed in UK if he does not cooperate

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

In the court decision it is written that he will open a bank guarantee for about 300 mio £. If he stopped fulfilling his obligations they will use it. And this for the whole period he has to pay to Pcs Haya.
Furthermore I think also that he has many assets to be seazed in UK if he does not cooperate

But will he open bank guarantee? Can british court force him to do so? He's not british citizen or resident, but HE IS head of state, other country. He has sizeable proprties in UK, but are they big enough to cover all Haya's settlement? Even if they are, it's not easy to seize them it'll be another court battle to do it.

He will do as he pleases. I think by this point, it's clear to everyone what kind of person he is. It's only needed to see the video of his daughter Latifa to have a grasp of what he is capable of doing. For me though, Haya is the same hypocrite as he is. Not a word is being spoken about where Latifa is, and why she is not free, while the greedy Haya is enjoying herself in London... Characterwise, she is not better than Mo. Even the mother of Manal was trying to help Latifa, but from Haya's side not even a word. She was there for the money. She married him for money and she divorced him for money.

He will do as he pleases. I think by this point, it's clear to everyone what kind of person he is. It's only needed to see the video of his daughter Latifa to have a grasp of what he is capable of doing. For me though, Haya is the same hypocrite as he is. Not a word is being spoken about where Latifa is, and why she is not free, while the greedy Haya is enjoying herself in London... Characterwise, she is not better than Mo. Even the mother of Manal was trying to help Latifa, but from Haya's side not even a word. She was there for the money. She married him for money and she divorced him for money.
Haya is not responsible for what happened to Samsa and Latifa. She has her own battle and she cannot lose energy for another battle. It is sad to say but it is the truth. Whatever will be the money to receive she and her kids will live with a constant fear, at least as long Sh. Mo is alive. What do you think will be her own life or her kids if they know that at any moment he can kill her and kidnap them for ever?
Can they go to the university? Party with friends? Or flirt? Even when they will be married, especially Jalila not sure they won't have any threat.
They will go in holidays with private jet? He is able to reroute the plane and kidnap them. As he did with Latifa in international waters.
She has to think about all this. She cannot take care of Samsa or Latifa. Sad but true.

Jonesandseb, I think Haya won't say anything about Latifa or Shamsa, as she's worried about her own safety and statement like that would only angered sheikh. I have no doubt marriage was a good arragement for both of sides. Let's not forget arranged marriages are common in their culture. There's nothing wrong with them, as long as both parties are happy. Haya was 30 at the time of her marriage, quite advanced age for a bride there. She recieved enourmous wealth, possibility of having children, status. He had young , good looking wife, from Prophet's bloodline, western style The First Lady. To be fair, Mohammed is not bad looking man, slim , sporty, very good horse rider, they both have big love to horses. Haya wasn't the first and won't be the last young woman, who found older man attractive.

I agree to some point with you, but the main argument is: didn't she know to what kind of man she is going to marry, didn't she have the slightest suspicion what he might be able to do, didn't she hear any rumours concerning his treatment to other wives, girlfriends, concubines? She is a full-bred royal and a princess with connections everywhere. Of course she knew about all this, she just turned a blind eye thinking he might be different to her. She is not a victim. She got herself in there. Shamsa and Latifa though are victims. They didn't choose to be in prison and have zero rights.

I agree to some point with you, but the main argument is: didn't she know to what kind of man she is going to marry, didn't she have the slightest suspicion what he might be able to do, didn't she hear any rumours concerning his treatment to other wives, girlfriends, concubines? She is a full-bred royal and a princess with connections everywhere. Of course she knew about all this, she just turned a blind eye thinking he might be different to her. She is not a victim. She got herself in there. Shamsa and Latifa though are victims. They didn't choose to be in prison and have zero rights.
I don't see why such a blame. She is not the first wife who got mistaken and abused about the real nature of her husband. Either because she was not aware since the beginning or because she knew but though he would be different with her. Thousands of women do this mistake. And then what? She did a mistake so she is sentenced for her whole life to stay with him? Just remember he divorced her without her knowing.
If she continued staying in Dubai one day she would be dead or chased but without her kids. As happened with Manal's mother. She never saw her daughter.
Haya's great intelligence is that she managed to leave with her kids. And now she should be blamed for it?
The only point I don't get is that she is supposed to have send out of Dubai many containers with staff. How did she without creating suspicions?

My standpoint is that she could have done more to raise awareness about Latifa and Shamsa. I think he has more to lose than her - money and reputation. With all the receipts she has about him, she could hold an interview with BBC or CNN and spill it all about him. She could make him look even more pathetic than he is. Instead she is being silent and comfortable in her own home with all the luxuries and all the money, while Latifa and Shamsa don't even have necessities and are locked somewhere.

While her divorce proceedings were still ongoing until very recently (and with most likely some more to come before everything is fully closed) going 'full out' would definitely not be in the interest of her children and herself.

Hopefully one day she will indeed help support the cases of Shamsa and Latifa (especially towards Latifa she has a responsibility as she participated in the cover-up with former Irish president Mary Robinson) but the focus she be on doing something effective not doing something 'big' that doesn't help them one bit.

My standpoint is that she could have done more to raise awareness about Latifa and Shamsa. I think he has more to lose than her - money and reputation. With all the receipts she has about him, she could hold an interview with BBC or CNN and spill it all about him. She could make him look even more pathetic than he is. Instead she is being silent and comfortable in her own home with all the luxuries and all the money, while Latifa and Shamsa don't even have necessities and are locked somewhere.

My first, foremost and gut reaction to Haya doing something like this, what it would primarily end up looking like, is painting a picture of a nasty and angry woman hell bent on revenge against her former husband and father of her children (don't forget these kind of things, once out there, do *not* go away and for her children to be exposed to this sort of thing against their father (true or not) could be traumatic).

There possibly will be many ways and means that Haya could work with and aid and assist efforts to rescue and assist Latifa and Shamsa and I wouldn't be surprised if she will do so once the clamor of the divorce has died down but to personally go public and air "dirty laundry" on her ex-husband is not the way to go about it.

Just my two cents here.

I don't blame her for ensuring her own children are safe (financially, physically and for life) before any possible endeavours to raise issue publicly against her ex about Latifa and Shamsa. In fairness her divorce proceedings have seen a UK judge state publicly in the legal record that Mo was behind Shamsa's and Latifa's abductions. That is a big thing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51756984

After hearing extensive witness statements over a period of time, the court found Sheikh Mohammed to have been responsible for the abduction and forced return of two of his daughters from another marriage.

Sheikha Shamsa fled the family's UK estate in Surrey in 2000 but was later abducted in Cambridgeshire by agents of the sheikh and forcibly returned to Dubai where she remains in captivity. A request by Cambridgeshire Police to visit Dubai to investigate her abduction was refused.
Sheikha Latifa made two unsuccessful attempts to flee her father's family, in 2002 and 2018. After the first she was imprisoned by her father in Dubai for over three years. In the second attempt she was abducted at sea off the Indian coast and forcibly returned to Dubai, where she remains under house arrest. The judge found her allegations of serious physical abuse amounting to torture, made by Latifa in a public video, to be credible.
The judge found that Sheikh Mohammed "continues to maintain a regime whereby both these two young women are deprived of their liberty".

:previous: Call me naive but I don't think Haya "knew" anything. She knew she was one of two or three wives but as each wife has their own palace, she would have no way of knowing what goes on behind the gates. S. Mo would have ensured that. I think she was swept away by an older man with the same interests as herself and flattered by the attention showered on her.

When she married Sheikh Mo Shamsa's situation was not public knowledge and if someone told her I am sure she would find it difficult to believe. Latifa's situation was originally written off as a rich young, bi-polar woman lured away for her money and saved when the yacht was boarded, when the external details became clear I am not even sure those in Dubai saw or heard anything.

That S. Mo resorted to manipulating Princess Haya into inviting Mary Robinson, former Prime Minister of Ireland and a former UN high commissioner for human rights and an acquaintance of Haya's, to visit and show Latifa healthy, if a little medicated (for her non-existent bipolar disorder), to prove Latifa was home safe, healthy and happy was a telling moment. I believe the reality of the situation was brought home to her when Latifa entered her home and with her own international friends and acquaintances filling her in, she became afraid for her life and the safety of her children.

We all like to think the best of those we love and in that Haya was no different, that she was happily married was evident every year she attended Ascot. You only have to see the shock and betrayal on the faces of women who were married to murderers, rapists, etc. totally unaware of the evil that their husbands did. Princess Haya was no different and, on becoming aware of the situation of both Shamsa and Latifa, as a very westernised woman, she became a liability to her husband.

Haya is not responsible for what happened to Samsa and Latifa.

No, but she surely was responsible for her meeting with the former Irish president in 2018 where she (Princess Haya) claimed that Sheikha Latifa was psychiatrically troubled and being cared for by the family. As far as I can recall, the princess herself does not claim she acted under duress on that occasion.

But will he open bank guarantee? Can british court force him to do so? He's not british citizen or resident, but HE IS head of state, other country. He has sizeable proprties in UK, but are they big enough to cover all Haya's settlement? Even if they are, it's not easy to seize them it'll be another court battle to do it.

I have only scanned the lengthy judgment, but in it the judge mentioned that Sheikh Mohammed had so far complied with all the interim payments he was ordered to make by the English court.

No, but she surely was responsible for her meeting with the former Irish president in 2018 where she (Princess Haya) claimed that Sheikha Latifa was psychiatrically troubled and being cared for by the family. As far as I can recall, the princess herself does not claim she acted under duress on that occasion.

I have only scanned the lengthy judgment, but in it the judge mentioned that Sheikh Mohammed had so far complied with all the interim payments he was ordered to make by the English court.
Correct. She claimed after she was deceived, never acted under any violence.
I think this Latifa / Mary Robinson lunch was the turning point for princess Haya to realize the real situation. Of course the intimidation she received after also.
As previously said the UK judjement contains a clear reference to Samsa and Latifa cases against Sh.Mo and this was clearly due to Haya's testimony. So she did the correct thing.
Needless to say that financial and plot resources of Sh.Mo are so endless that he actually mounted a scenario showing Latifa free (...) and claiming to be let alone to live her life (!!). This is just a slight indication of what life Princess Haya and her kids have towards them. A ruthless stubborn guy with unlimited means who never gives up...
I'm persuaded she is fully conscious about this.

Back
Top Bottom