Divorce For Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid & Princess Haya

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
these rumours are strange, haya seemed such a devoted wife to the SM. only 6 months ago, she tried to help him with the situation with latifa by arranging that meet up with latifa and mary robinson.

We don’t know what her motivation was to ‘help’ ... Of course it is speculation but that was another situation where an outspoken western wife came in very handy for sheikh Mohammed, if Haya actually agreed with the content or way the meeting went, who knows.

I think the main issue for this divorce, if true, is the children's question. Sheikh Mohammed will never agree that she takes their children with her and I think this is the reason of seeking asylum. I think Islamic law gives to the husband the custody of kids. So even if she files for divorce in UAE and she gets it she will leave the country alone. Of course if all this is true, nevertheless it seems likely because if it was not true princess Haya would have show up
Actually in islam the custody of children is always granted to the mother and the father should pays alimony for everything health,food,educarion....and if one f the kids still baby and the mother breastfeeds him personallly the father should pays her a bonus,this situation change only if the mother decide to marry and the father have doubts about the new husband be a good father for his kids.
Now the custody of Zayed and Al jalila has nothing to do with islam and wont dealt with under the islamic law i am afraid it will be first a politic matter because of who their father and mother are,a matter of traditions that have most of time nothing to do with islam and latter of what the couple agreed on before marriage as i think there will be a prenup i am sure Haya is clever enough to have one before marrying the Sheilh...
I think if the couple decide to split the issue the big one would be the kids custody this why maybe Haya decide to to go to a place where her husband statu and power wont be enough to take her kids from her.

There are ugly rumours circulating about Princess Haya's involvement into a possible coup against King Abdullah. She is unlikely to get custody of her children.

Last edited:
Why not? She is, contrary to his other wives, a Princess by blood.

An example from her family: Her and King's younger half-brother, Prince Hamzah, didn't take his daughter Haya away from his former wife, Princess Noor bint Asem, when she remarried.

Last edited:
There are ugly rumours circulating about Princess Haya's involvement into a possible coup against King Abdullah.

She is unlikely to get custody of her children.

It is Just a baseless rumour circulated by some Houthi-Yemeni news websites. Their group is currently fighting against the UAE-Saudi Arabia`s coalition.

Last edited:
Why not? She is, contrary to his other wives, a Princess by blood.

An example from her family: Her and King's younger half-brother, Prince Hamzah, didn't taka his daughter Haya away from his former wife, Princess Noor bint Asem, when she remarried.

That does not mean that he couldn’t if he wanted to..

Quoting from the Sun article in post #24:

Sheik Mohammed has denounced his wife in a rant on Instagram, accusing her of “betrayal”, adding: “Go to whom you get busy with!!!!!?”

Is this Instagram post public and if so, should it be understood as confirmation of a separation/divorce?

Princess Haya married Sheikh Mohamed she was already 30. What do we know about her private life before the marriage? Has she ever been engaged? Had she any knownobg relationships? Princess Haya has almost been exclusively raised in UK, so in my opinion she was more occidental oriented mentality despite being Muslim. For this it is more strange that she accepted polygamy, considering that her father had many marriages but neve in the same time.

Quoting from the Sun article in post #24:

Is this Instagram post public and if so, should it be understood as confirmation of a separation/divorce?

It is confirmation that that is the framing that is being chosen for the situation, which puts him in a better position than the last news, which was that Haya was seeking political asylum. I am very, very skeptical.

It is Just a baseless rumour circulated by some Houthi-Yemeni news websites. Their group is currently fighting against the UAE-Saudi Arabia`s coalition.
Given the current situation, Houthi-Yemeni are quite right to discredit one of their opponents. We have to wait for Al-Jazeera to detail accurate angles of the situation.

Last edited:
I think their marriage was a win-win at the beginning: Jordan is a poor country that needed a rich ally, Haya wanted a husband who could give her a role on world stage (UN, FEI, IOC) and Sheikh Mohammed needed a public wife, in this case muslim and with a western background, happy to pose and promote him and Dubai. In the end it seems that things weren't so easy behind closed doors. Haya always tried to downplay the Sheikhs private life with other wives in the western media, as if she was present and the rest was past but of course this was not true. Something must have led to the split and it was to be expected that Sheikh Mohammed will show no mercy. Jordan is not an option as KA will have no choice but to stand by his ally. It will be interesting to see what happens, Haya is too prominent to just vanish.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...e/news-story/5560c582efc558e76a070a00a625f514

I absolutely agree, the Daily Mail had this as the front page headline yesterday evening. But I wonder if she fled to Germany, or has she been residing in London since April, as another poster has said above. It will become clear in some time, I suppose.

Princess Haya married Sheikh Mohamed she was already 30. What do we know about her private life before the marriage? Has she ever been engaged? Had she any knownobg relationships? Princess Haya has almost been exclusively raised in UK, so in my opinion she was more occidental oriented mentality despite being Muslim. For this it is more strange that she accepted polygamy, considering that her father had many marriages but neve in the same time.

Exactly. Haya lived a 'western life' in Germany for some time, she was part of the showjumping scene. She lived a normal life, was proud to drive her own truck as she said in an interview, including a boyfriend. Of course such lifestyle was a big no to a possibly high profile marriage where the bride usually had no boyfriend and was much younger, and I am sure KA did not like her reputation in that respect. Haya was different, and at the age of 30 she had to ask herself what to do with her life. She may have been the first arab woman to compete in international horse sports events and qualified for the Olympics, where she was a flag bearer for Jordan, but in the big picture her performance as a show jumper was poor, not good enough to compete on the highest level. Not sure the marriage was arranged but for certain every party (Haya, SM, KA) benefitted from it, at least in the beginning. Haya's career in the horse world as an operative went sky high thanks to Sheikh Mo's influence and for sure she promoted his interests with his money in the background. And she started to promote Dubai in charity as the only visible female Dubai royal.

Having married a polygamist harmed her image in the Western World, while I am sure being the flagship/junior wife is not an easy position in the arab world, one only has to look at the male entourage that follows Sheikh Mohammed when he is out in public.
At some point her influence began to fade as Sheikh Mohammed's representative and even though Haya had kids, she probably got bored with her position, to do what she was told and to publicly share her husband with other wives or girlfriends and his men's circle despite all the money. Very often he did not treat her 'western-like' in public but rather rude, she had to run after him etc etc and Haya was always keen to give the image her husband adored her and only her.
With respect to Sheikha Hind Haya said 2006 in an interview: "What's better: to live or divorce, to exclude someone from the family? It's not about owning someone, I love this man, so I respect that he married a woman in before me and has children with her." - simply omitting that there are tons of other wives/girlfriends and children.
https://www.welt.de/print-wams/article140986/Westlich-und-modern-ist-nicht-das-gleiche.html

Last edited:
What are the political implications?
Considering her connection with the Jordanian King, she can't suddenly - "vanish" - I suppose as we have seen with others.
But equally she would surely be a politically as well as personal embarrassment should she return to Jordan?

What are the political implications?
Considering her connection with the Jordanian King, she can't suddenly - "vanish" - I suppose as we have seen with others.
But equally she would surely be a politically as well as personal embarrassment should she return to Jordan?

King Abdullah is her half brother by the same father. There is no evidence that their relationship is cordial apart from a few events they attended together with Sheikh Mohammed. Haya has a full brother in Jordan, Prince Ali, but I doubt he has more than little influence. I think it was clear for Haya from the beginning that if this goes wrong, she has money to rely on, but no home in Jordan any longer.

I think daily mail is relaible enough to believe the news, so sad when we saw what happened in morrocco repeated in other counries in the region.
As princess Haya being a sisiter of a king will not help her so much in my opinion cause I read before that her step mother Queen Noor was treating her bad and her brother did not help that much.

Thanks, Nisreen & Duke of Marmalade. :flowers:

So she is destined to live a comfortable (higher middle class), quiet and very discreet life.

But what about the two children? Surely custody belongs to the father, according to Dubai legislation?
Will and can Germany do anything about that? Assuming of course this is where she ends up.

Last edited:
Thanks, Nisreen & Lumutqueen. :flowers:

So she is destined to live a comfortable (higher middle class), quiet and very discreet life.

But what about the two children? Surely custody belongs to the father, according to Dubai legislation?

Will and can Germany do anything about that? Assuming of course this is where she ends up.

I think you owe thanks to Duke of Marmalade. ;)

However in Islamic law custody goes to the mother. But I can imagine that is open to interpretation.

If SM disagrees that Haya keeps the kids, and I strongly believe that he wii... Even if Haya manages to obtain asylum in a European country with her kids their life will be a nightmare, because he can kidnap them at any moment. He is rich enough to hire an entire army and taje back the kids, as he did with Latifah.

If SM disagrees that Haya keeps the kids, and I strongly believe that he wii... Even if Haya manages to obtain asylum in a European country with her kids their life will be a nightmare, because he can kidnap them at any moment. He is rich enough to hire an entire army and taje back the kids, as he did with Latifah.

Well, that`s why I think Jordan is the best place for them so far. They will be more safe with her family's protection.

I'm not surprised by the reports and did fear that Haya had been seeking asylum when she wasn't present at Ascot.

However in Islamic law custody goes to the mother. But I can imagine that is open to interpretation.

There might be reasons for custody goes to the father, for instance in cases the father claimed his ex-wife isnt good for the children's wellbeing because of her lifestyle. Sometimes a father just seeking revenge in taken the custody of the children to harm his former wife. According to Islamic law, the father may also have the right to take custody of the children from a certain age. For boys from the age of seven and for girls from about 12 years. Haya's children both that age.

Many reasons... and you are right: often the matter is open to interpretation.

That is the ultimate fear. Outside of Jordan she has no protection as her husband can send in goons at any time to kidnap her and the children.
At least in Jordan she may have better protection hidden behind palace walls.

I am beginning to wonder if this is not about Haya, herself, at all. Al Jalila is about to hit the age where they start to take young women out of the public eye, for all her mother is modern, her father is not. And so far she's been raised next to the mother who takes her to Ascot, etc. If SM told Haya that it was almost time to put a veil on Al Jalila, Haya might have grabbed her and Zayed and ran. Mohammed seems to have differing desires for his daughters, some are out there playing polo and some are doing charity work in veils, so...a disagreement on how to raise their daughter could be a thing here. I mean she's either eleven or twelve and that's close to the beginning of puberty which is when Muslimahs start becoming more...quiet and hidden.

On the other hand Mohammed has been making noise or is said to be making noise (supposedly a poem about betrayal and lying to him)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am beginning to wonder if this is not about Haya, herself, at all. Al Jalila is about to hit the age where they start to take young women out of the public eye, for all her mother is modern, her father is not. And so far she's been raised next to the mother who takes her to Ascot, etc. If SM told Haya that it was almost time to put a veil on Al Jalila, Haya might have grabbed her and Zayed and ran. Mohammed seems to have differing desires for his daughters, some are out there playing polo and some are doing charity work in veils, so...a disagreement on how to raise their daughter could be a thing here. I mean she's either eleven or twelve and that's close to the beginning of puberty which is when Muslimahs start becoming more...quiet and hidden.

I don't think you know Maktoums very well. Sheikh Mohammed is not going to insist to his non veil wearing wife that their daughter must wear a veil. Look at his other daughters. Mainly only Sheikha Hind daughters wear a head scarf. Look at Sheikha Maitha in recent Polo championship. Look at Sheikha Mahra.

Haya would not divorce and run away over her daughter coming of age. It's not a sudden suprise that she became that age. Sheikh Mohammed clearly adores Al Jalila. She has been to many races with him, even without her mother. And she is now having horses race in her name - Al Jalila Racing... And guess what colours they race in, her father's old maroon colour. Father and daughter share a close bond.

Jordan's has a close relationship with UAE. Look at the recent visit by King Abdullah to Abu Dhabi. Jordan will not jeopardise their relationship with Abu Dhabi / UAE for her.

MBZ knows the truth along with KA. Clearly they stick together.

Last edited by a moderator:
DW Has confirmed the news today ,it says Haya escaped with german deplomate.

Yes, the news are all over Germany now but no comment from the government so far.

Regarding King Abdullah and arranged marriage, there were rumours that Haya had an ongoing affair with Sheikh Mohammed and KA used this to his advantage kind of forcing him to marry Haya to not bring shame on the family as a daughter of King Hussein is not available for an affair only. But there are other rumours that Haya was the driving force behind this, when you look back at the pictures of the wedding she was really happy and beaming, while he was looking grumpy and let's get this over with (but does he ever look happy?) and well into the marriage she always had this 'look he's mine' look on her face. Fact is that all parties had reason to be happy at the time.

King Abdullah took his vacation earlier than usual. I'm guessing he's visiting Haya, wherever she is.

Back
Top Bottom