Divorce For Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid & Princess Haya

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jalila could be a higly valuable "tool" in a power game, if married to the right man, a man who wants to highten his prestige. Her heritage is perfect from both father AND mother. An arranged marriage - if played right - could win her father even more influence and power than he already has. I don't doubt that Sheik Al-Maktoum loves his little girl, but he is also a reckless, ruthless man, Haya does good in securing her girls future.

Last edited:
I don't think that Princess Haya wants to isolate her kids from their father. She just want to give them, especially Àl Jalila à life with freedom, and does not want her daughter to turn like another Sheikha Latifa or Samsa.
On the other hand I think that SM does not simply want to see his kids and spend time with them. He wants them to live the life he decides for them

I agree. I'm not a mother myself; but I find Haya's decision very understandable given the slightly susceptible circumstances that Sheikh Mohammed's family has with the situations of Sheikha Shasma and Latifa. We'll never know the full extent at all of what goes on behind this family's closed doors, but I can't imagine it's rosy - far from it - if Haya has now found herself in this situation.

For an occidental that I'm it sounds weird to think about valuable wedding for a 12 years old. On th other hand it is not so far this era in the European royal families when almost after a royal kid was born, the courts started thinking about a suitable and profitable match. Do I'm not astonished if Sheikh Mohammed has already similar thougts.
The interesting part is that he did not do this to his other daughters, except 2 if I'm not wrong, married to Emirati high ranked.
But Jalila has an unique asset in her pedigree, her mum's blood. All the other kids of SM come either from his cousin, an Émirati family or from everyday average ladies.
I don't really know what equivalent match could do Àl Jalila? Maybe an othoman or Persian Royal? Descendent of Iraki or Egypt RF?
Di they mix with a Agha khan family member?
Food for thought
Jalila could be a higly valuable "tool" in a power game, if married to the right man, a man who wants to highten his prestige. Her heritage is perfect from both father AND mother. An arranged marriage - if played right - could win her father even more influence and power than he already has. I don't doubt that Sheik Al-Maktoum loves his little girl, but he is also a reckless, ruthless man, Haya does good in securing her girls future.

:previous:
you are rigth, Al jalila is a very very valuable asset for her father if he decide to marry her for his political intrests it will be for a rigth match very very high ranked personality and not minor Sheikh or prince;;he anyway have marriage bands with most of the royal famillies in gulf " i believe one of his daugter are married to son of Bahrain King"...othoman or Persian royal ore even egypt Rf are no longer reigning so he wont gain much... so in my opinion with her assets there is no equivalent match in the arab world for Al Jalila expect CP Moulay Hassan of Morocco then MRF don't do Arranged marriages for political use,they as much as tey could avoid such ties

ps: this is just reasoning to how maybe Sheikh Mohammed will see his daughter marriage not that i afree with that at all so don't get me wrong

A video, at first about Haya and in the latter part about Latifa's life and escape, Tiina Jauhiainen is interviewed.

The Al Maktoum family is all about arranged marriage, they even marry their cousins in the most important line of the family (Sheikha Hind's kids) - it was all there, from the beginning. I have a hard time to believe that Haya seriously thought that if she had kids with the Sheikh (her choice) that anything would be different. Her own marriage was clearly based on other (or at least more) things than love, I mean, what can you expect? Have your cake and eat it too, seriously? There is nothing for free in the Al Maktoum family, never was, as Haya will have been well aware from the beginning. Therefore I have a hard time believing that all of a sudden Haya realized that her husband is evil, imprisoned his own daughter (no, he has done it before, even before the marriage) or wants to marry off Al Jalia (no, has has been marrying off his daughters for god knows how long), if he is evil indeed he has been evil before Haya decided to marry him. I don't know what happened but the children are now being used as pawns by both parents.

:previous:
you are rigth, Al jalila is a very very valuable asset for her father if he decide to marry her for his political intrests it will be for a rigth match very very high ranked personality and not minor Sheikh or prince;;he anyway have marriage bands with most of the royal famillies in gulf " i believe one of his daugter are married to son of Bahrain King"...othoman or Persian royal ore even egypt Rf are no longer reigning so he wont gain much... so in my opinion with her assets there is no equivalent match in the arab world for Al Jalila expect CP Moulay Hassan of Morocco then MRF don't do Arranged marriages for political use,they as much as tey could avoid such ties

ps: this is just reasoning to how maybe Sheikh Mohammed will see his daughter marriage not that i afree with that at all so don't get me wrong

I am sure he could find a high enough son, even if not a heir. Certainly marrying family is not uncommon either. Several of his children are married to first cousins/first once removed.

Six daughters have all married senior royals
-Manal is married to Prince Mansour of Abu Dhabi (fifth son of the Emir)
-Hessa is married to Sheikh Saeed of Dubai (first cousin once removed)
-Latifa is married to the Crow Prince of Fujairah
-Shaikha is married to the 4th son of the King of Bahrain
-another Latifa is married to a member of the Ras-Al Khaima royal family
-Maryam is married to an Al Maktoum Shaikh

Certainly there would be other political marriages to be made. His daughters have married into 3 of the other emirates. There are the royal families of 3 other emirates, as well as other Muslim royal families to consider.

I am sure he could find a high enough son, even if not a heir. Certainly marrying family is not uncommon either. Several of his children are married to first cousins/first once removed.

Six daughters have all married senior royals
-Manal is married to Prince Mansour of Abu Dhabi (fifth son of the Emir)
-Hessa is married to Sheikh Saeed of Dubai (first cousin once removed)
-Latifa is married to the Crow Prince of Fujairah
-Shaikha is married to the 4th son of the King of Bahrain
-another Latifa is married to a member of the Ras-Al Khaima royal family
-Maryam is married to an Al Maktoum Shaikh

Certainly there would be other political marriages to be made. His daughters have married into 3 of the other emirates. There are the royal families of 3 other emirates, as well as other Muslim royal families to consider.
Thanks a lot for these detailed situation. Nevertheless as personaly I'm mixing his daughters I have a question. Age they all daughters of sheikha Hind? Are they in their around 30is or older?
Because is different to have grown up with a mother who keeps living in a purdah way of life, if they have not being abroad except for shop and didn't study out of their country. If they have been educated to obey and that one day their parents will arrange their lifes, the clash is less strong.
But Àl Jalila belongs to another generation, she has a non valed mother who studied in the occidental world and she travels since her young age. How Princess Haya has to accept and to explain her daughter that she has to follow rules that herself did not follow?
Even if her own wedding to SM was arranged, it happened at her 30 s and she did accept, after having lived a real full life. King Hussein did not try to force his daughters to do an arrange marriage and now one of these freely educated daughters has to oblige a 12 years girl to be married maybe before her 20 s?
I fully understand her reaction!!!

King Hussein did not try to force his daughters to do an arrange marriage and now one of these freely educated daughters has to oblige a 12 years girl to be married maybe before her 20 s?

It is a family custom to marry off all offsprings as well as possible, but I have not heard of an underage marriage arranged by the parents.

To go for the protection order does not only protect Al Jalilah from an arranged marriage, possibly under age, but is also the best legal tool to keep the estranged husband at bay and away from the children. IMO there is most likely truth in both reasons.

Thanks a lot for these detailed situation. Nevertheless as personaly I'm mixing his daughters I have a question. Age they all daughters of sheikha Hind? Are they in their around 30is or older?
Because is different to have grown up with a mother who keeps living in a purdah way of life, if they have not being abroad except for shop and didn't study out of their country. If they have been educated to obey and that one day their parents will arrange their lifes, the clash is less strong.
But Àl Jalila belongs to another generation, she has a non valed mother who studied in the occidental world and she travels since her young age. How Princess Haya has to accept and to explain her daughter that she has to follow rules that herself did not follow?
Even if her own wedding to SM was arranged, it happened at her 30 s and she did accept, after having lived a real full life. King Hussein did not try to force his daughters to do an arrange marriage and now one of these freely educated daughters has to oblige a 12 years girl to be married maybe before her 20 s?

Four of them are Hind's daughters. Shaikha, Maryam, Hessa and the Latifa who is married to the CP of Fujijara. Manal is the daughter of his Lebanese wife Sheikha Randa, and the other Latifa is the daughter of his wife Sheikha Delila. I missed a 7th daughter who is married to a cousin, Maryam (Delila).

I can understand Haya not wanting her daughter forced into an arranged marriage, and wanting more freedom for her. But only of her stepdaughters was married off young. In fact of the seven who are married that I can find, 5 were over the age of 25.

-Shaikha was only 17
-Manal was 28 (second wife)
-Latifah (Hind's) was 20
-Latifah (Lebanese wife) was 27
-Maryam was 26
-Hessa was 28
-Maryam (Delila's) was 31 when she married last year

But considering the education and freedom she and her own sibling had, I can see Haya wanting to make sure her daughter has the same. And considering her daughter has already enjoyed some of it, I don't think she would want that taken from her either.

Not much beyond marriages is known of most of the daughters, other then the ones who tried to run away. They are pretty private. Hind's daughters have lived private lives like their mother.

The only married daughter we really know about is Manal. She studied interior design and marketing in Dubai.

Among his unmarried daughters there is Maitha who competed in 2008 Olympics in taekwando and won silver in 2006 Asian games in Karate. At 38 she remains unmarried. She is the full sister of both of the daughters who ran away.

Mahra is another story as she grew up in Greece and not in Dubai.

I can see Haya wanting her daughter to have the freedom Mahra did, living in a more western setting.

It has been said here that Shek Al-Maktoum has just two wives now, Haya and Hind, but how about Latifa and Shamsa's mother, the Algerian wife? If I remember well, in her video, Latifa calls her mother and wife, not former wife. If so, where does the certainty that she is an ex-wife come from? Has a divorce from Latifa's mother been announced by any source? Is it possible that the current wives are three instead of two?
I was wondering that too. Shamsa, Latifa, Maitha and Majid's mother, Houria, is (was?) Mohammed's long-term wife, while still married to Hind. Latifa called her his wife and said she was unsympathetic towards her daughters ordeals.
I find very weird Maitha is karate champion and lives fairly prominent life, she's visible in public, while her sisters claimed they had no freedom at all.

Four of them are Hind's daughters. Shaikha, Maryam, Hessa and the Latifa who is married to the CP of Fujijara. Manal is the daughter of his Lebanese wife Sheikha Randa, and the other Latifa is the daughter of his wife Sheikha Delila. I missed a 7th daughter who is married to a cousin, Maryam (Delila).

I can understand Haya not wanting her daughter forced into an arranged marriage, and wanting more freedom for her. But only of her stepdaughters was married off young. In fact of the seven who are married that I can find, 5 were over the age of 25.

-Shaikha was only 17
-Manal was 28 (second wife)
-Latifah (Hind's) was 20
-Latifah (Lebanese wife) was 27
-Maryam was 26
-Hessa was 28
-Maryam (Delila's) was 31 when she married last year

But considering the education and freedom she and her own sibling had, I can see Haya wanting to make sure her daughter has the same. And considering her daughter has already enjoyed some of it, I don't think she would want that taken from her either.

Not much beyond marriages is known of most of the daughters, other then the ones who tried to run away. They are pretty private. Hind's daughters have lived private lives like their mother.

The only married daughter we really know about is Manal. She studied interior design and marketing in Dubai.

Among his unmarried daughters there is Maitha who competed in 2008 Olympics in taekwando and won silver in 2006 Asian games in Karate. At 38 she remains unmarried. She is the full sister of both of the daughters who ran away.

Mahra is another story as she grew up in Greece and not in Dubai.

I can see Haya wanting her daughter to have the freedom Mahra did, living in a more western setting.
Interesting that there is no typical age the marry daughters. Could start from young, around 16, and go easily to 30. As for the daughter who is champion, apparently she is not pushed to get married. Maybe thanks to her performance she is a kind of flagship for Dubai, so she has more freedom.
Interesting that the missing Latifa said to the video that neither her mum nor her sister Maitha showed compassion to her. Apparently Maitha has a kind of freedom, her sisters not.
If I understood well none of the doughters studied abroad. Except Mahra who has been raised abroad.

Latifa said she was not allowed to go to University so it seems that SM is totally unpredictable in the way he treats his daughters.

Haya was definitely a prize wife and second in importance in that she is an outsider. That is not to say that SM doesn't have another two current wives.

But to the Western World Princess Haya, by continuing her international charity work, some with the UN, not to mention carrying on her inheritance of her father's Racing Stables and the appearance of her daughter Jalila at Ascot looking as western in dress and manner as her mother, creates a vision of a world that doesn't exist

She gives the impression to the Western World that the Dubai of of today is a modern Arab State with bright, educated women with the world a feet. It speaks to a gender equality that doesn't exist. It's all smoke and mirrors.

While Haya has basically continued her life as before marriage, I don't think the reality of the restrictions were all that apparent because they didn't affect her and she was in love whith SM. When that love turned to fear I don't know but suspect it coincided with the reality of Shamsa and Latifa's situation.

IMHO when she reached out to Mary Robinson was the crunch. Latifa looked rough as hell and her vacant, unfocused stare tells it's own story.

As to the notion of having an affair, well Haya is still bright enough to know it would cost her her children if not her life. The Bodyguard has been working for SM too long not to know the risk.

What are the Dubai media saying about Princess Haya having left the country and SM? Are they talking about?

Did Princess Haya asked the King of Jordan autorisation to marrry the head of Dubai?

Yes, the marriage took place in Amman, Jordan.

I don't think she did ask for permission from her brother to marry Sheikh Mohammed,the fact the weding took place in Amman in the royal palace in the presence of her family doesn't mean they agree,i know for sure some of them didn't see this marriage in good eyes King Abdullah included Imo

This marriage was never understood by most of us. We do not really know why Princess Haya did this. Was she pressed by her family? Was she somehow fascinated by the money or the sense of power? We don't really know how was her financial situation at this moment. She was almost turning the page off the horse riding activities, she should this moment start something else. A UN Ambassador and FIO activity was perfect for her. Also that she was 30, time to start a family.
We also don't really know what is her real relationship with KA and KR in Jordan. We don't forget that Ranja is the absolute female star in Jordan, she was maybe very happy to get rid of a glamorous sister in law.

AFAIK, Princess Rayiah bint Hussein is 33 already and she didn't start a family yet.

Did Haya resign from horse riding? This particular sport can be practised till the old age.

This marriage was never understood by most of us. We do not really know why Princess Haya did this. Was she pressed by her family? Was she somehow fascinated by the money or the sense of power? We don't really know how was her financial situation at this moment. She was almost turning the page off the horse riding activities, she should this moment start something else. A UN Ambassador and FIO activity was perfect for her. Also that she was 30, time to start a family.
We also don't really know what is her real relationship with KA and KR in Jordan. We don't forget that Ranja is the absolute female star in Jordan, she was maybe very happy to get rid of a glamorous sister in law.

Haya was living in Paris, I don't think Rania was worried about being upstaged by her sister-in-law. Haya famously lent Rania her mother's tiara for the proclaiment of King Abdullah. Not sure if this means that they're all warm and fuzzy!

There were rumours about Haya's lifestyle and her financial before her marriage. If true, it could explain her choice to marry the Prince.

I believe all of this is irrelevant, though. This is a woman who is seeking custody of her children and protection for herself. Sounds like a legit cause to me.

Haya was living in Paris, I don't think Rania was worried about being upstaged by her sister-in-law. Haya famously lent Rania her mother's tiara for the proclaiment of King Abdullah. Not sure if this means that they're all warm and fuzzy!

There were rumours about Haya's lifestyle and her financial before her marriage. If true, it could explain her choice to marry the Prince.

I believe all of this is irrelevant, though. This is a woman who is seeking custody of her children and protection for herself. Sounds like a legit cause to me.
Absolutely! There are people in this thread who said that she knew/should knew about all these situation and chose to ignore. Maybe yes maybe no, but indpendently of her own mistakes or degree of responsibility in a possible wrong choice 15 years ago, the only important fact is that she has now to protect her children and herself.

I think Haya was totally besotted with SM and he seemed a stable husband who adored her and accepted her unconditionally.

Every time we saw them together at ascot she was lit up like a Christmas tree. Whether their were elements of disconnect from her own family and it's subsequent loneliness we will never know.

But SM provided a dream lifestyle for Haya, allowing her to pursue her charities and generally do what his first 5 wives did not, namely maintain a very high personal profile as herself, Princess Haya rather than be just SM's figurative arm candy in Europe and the UK.

I think Haya must have felt safe and fulfilled following her dreams. The shattering of that bubble must have been frightening and horrifying. Just think how you would feel if suddenly everything you knew and loved was exposed as a mere facade and you were the chief pawn.

The photos of her leaving court in London show a whole different woman and she seemed so isolated and alone. Even the way she dressed was different.

I think Haya must have felt safe and fulfilled following her dreams. The shattering of that bubble must have been frightening and horrifying. Just think how you would feel if suddenly everything you knew and loved was exposed as a mere facade and you were the chief pawn.

The photos of her leaving court in London show a whole different woman and she seemed so isolated and alone. Even the way she dressed was different.

It's beyond me how all of a sudden a bubble can burst when you knowingly marry a man who - apart from having the most fearsome reputation when it comes down to ruling his family and emirate - abducted and forced his daughter back to the UAE or drugged his horses for personal gain, just two examples of public knowledge well before the wedding. I don't buy that Haya was that naive.

I have all sympathy for her children but appearing the way she did at the court will not only serve her children's, but also her own cause well. It's her only chance, and I am sure Haya will make it count. I doubt there is a place for her in Jordan.

I'm not so sure that all these events were known before, unless you are making an internet search and why she skills have done? Latifas story is now very spread, but Samsa? Not so much. Considering that this happened in 2000 and Haya married in 2004, was this story still actual? We don't know. It is sure that she got fascinated and might unconsiousely chose to believe to a fairy tale,, but now the reality is there and she has to fight against it for her and her kids.
And not only Haya was naive. Think about other ladies who sent their daughters stay there. I'm thinking about Zoe Grigorakos whose daughter Christiana, now Sheikha Mahra raised in Europe moved to Dubai at her 16ies. Now she is 25 and apparently she works in Dubai with her dad. What will happen if SM decides to marry her and she disagrees? Will SM respect his daughter's opinion or will she have Samsa's and Latifa's destiny. If this happens will her mum be held responsible for her daughter's destiny? Because this mum also believed to a fairy, like princess Haya.
To come back to princess Haya, even if she gains her cause I believe it is valid till her kids are 18. If a 20 years old Jalila decides to travel to Dubai and see her dad, and if he does not let her go back, how can she be free? She will be a prisoner and maybe married against her will.
Or will the Court's decision for non arranged marriage be valid for ever?

Last edited:
I'm not so sure that all these events were known before, unless you are making an internet search and why she skills have done? Latifas story is now very spread, but Samsa? Not so much. Considering that this happened in 2000 and Haya married in 2004, was this story still actual? We don't know. It is sure that she got fascinated and might unconsiousely chose to believe to a fairy tale,, but now the reality is there and she has to fight against it for her and her kids.

Haya lived a free life in the Western World, was educated in Oxford and a professional equestrian and she did not read or nobody in her circle told her that he man who owns most of Newmarket and finances a huge part of flat and endurance racing had the police on his doorstep because his daughter claimed of being abducted by her father, a story that was published in respected newspapers like The Guardian?

I rather think that she was over 30, looking for a career and somebody to finance her lifestyle, Sheikh Mohammed was the perfect fit and she did not care about the rest until something happened and she's now getting a taste of her own medicine. I really feel sorry for the children because I don't think Sheikh Mohammed or his family will back off, not now and not in the long run.

Last edited:
I also think that SM will never give up to have his kids back. Both will have a life with a threat in their heads, at any moment they are in risk to be abducted and taken back to Dubai. At least a long as SM is alive.

I think that Haya was used to have a really lavish lifestyle and SM provided that. He has alot of real power and influence, is a fascinating person. He can probably be totally charming and if he wooed her, told her that she would be different from all his other wifes, to be on his side and free to follow her own interests, she maybe thought that she would be save. Maybe she was just head over heels in love with him.

It's possible, that she did not want to get involved with what happened to Shamsa, or did not care that much. We also don't know what SM told her, how he twisted that into him being the good, caring father who saved his struggling daughter. And whom could she have asked for another pov, everyone in knowledge probably feared SMs wrath.

Last edited:
^^^^^ Really good points. I read or saw on TV where Latifa said her sister was housed at Sheika Hind's

Back
Top Bottom