State Visit from Jordan to The Netherlands: October 30-November 2, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From www.koninklijkhuis.nl:

Speech by Her Majesty the Queen of the Netherlands on the occasion of the state visit of His Majesty the King and Her Majesty the Queen of Jordan

The Hague, Noordeinde Palace, 30 October 2006

Your Majesty,
It gives me great pleasure to welcome you and Queen Rania here this evening. Through you we salute a country with an ancient civilisation that is nevertheless characterised by modernisation and reform, a nation which plays an important, positive role in a Middle East that has for so long been torn by conflict and violence. Tragically, your country too experienced this violence at first hand last year, when brutal attacks took place in Amman. That event also had a profound impact in our country. We are therefore all the more delighted now to be able to greet you both in the Netherlands.

Your Majesty,
Jordan is the custodian of a rich historical heritage. The region known as the ‘Fertile Crescent’, to which your country belongs, was the birthplace of human civilisation. Over a period of many thousands of years, various cultures left their traces there, from Assyrians and Egyptians to Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Ottomans and Arabs. Archaeologists explore the rich legacy of this past, while tourists come in great numbers to admire the unique city of Petra and other impressive historic sites in your country.
Scholarly interest in the Arab world has a long history in our country. Only a few years after the opening of Leiden University in 1575, a chair in Arabic and other Middle Eastern languages was established. That chair is still in existence and the study of the Arab world flourishes at our universities. As early as the seventeenth century, the Dutch painter Cornelis de Bruyn travelled to the Middle East and recorded its historic monuments with remarkable accuracy in his drawings. To this very day, Dutch artists draw inspiration from the age-old treasures of your country.

Founded on the ancient traditions and distinctive cultures of earlier empires, modern Jordan is a plural, tolerant and democratic country with a dynamic and highly educated population. Following in the footsteps of your greatly esteemed father, King Hussein, you yourself play a central role in the ongoing process of modernisation and adjustment in the political and economic domain. The challenges confronting Jordan, with its fast growing population, are considerable. You are faced with the difficult task of offering the many young people in your country the prospect of a meaningful future. The awareness that economic growth must go hand-in-hand with concern for the environment and for the preservation of your rich cultural and historical heritage makes this responsibility even more complex. The first steps have been taken in this direction with the policy of gradual reform set out in the National Agenda. The course on which your Government has thus embarked is fully supported by our country and the European Union.

In a turbulent part of the world your country has succeeded, both in the past and during recent developments, in maintaining good relations with its neighbours and has often played a pioneering role in this regard. Through the years, Jordan has dedicated itself to peace and stability in the region, and in 1994 concluded a peace agreement with Israel.
Jordan’s history is closely linked to that of the three great monotheistic religions. Against that background, your great personal dedication to encouraging dialogue between Islam and the West comes to the fore. In this endeavour, you are continuing the work of your father and of your uncle, Prince Hassan. In various speeches you have referred to the tolerant and benevolent aspects of Islam, even towards those who think differently, and to the importance of tolerance and peaceful coexistence. You emphasised that Islam is not a religion of violence and terrorism but one of moderation, forgiveness and mercy. These values and ideals also form the core of the ‘Amman message’, delivered in 2004, which rejected terrorism and stressed that peace must be the foundation for relations between Muslims themselves and with others.

Your Majesty,
The relations between our two countries are good – and have always been so. Our cooperation has been strengthened and intensified in recent years in both the political and social fields. Dutch people living in Jordan are active in many different areas, not only in trade and enterprise but also in the cultural field and in civil society organisations such as your deaf-blind institute. Jordanians, in turn, have invested in Dutch agriculture. Trade missions from each country have visited the other. While our countries mostly work together within the framework of the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership, our bilateral cooperation is certainly significant.

Your Majesty,
The excellent relations between our two countries are reflected in the warm ties between our two families. Many members of our families of different generations meet each other regularly. Your father paid an official visit to the Netherlands and ten years later my husband and I went to Jordan. Your State visit is in keeping with this tradition and we are delighted to welcome you.
May I invite all present to raise their glasses with me and to drink to your health, to that of Queen Rania, and to a bright – and peaceful – future for the Jordanian people.

Queen Rania disappointed me this time around. In past state visits 99% of the time she looks stunning. But for this visit it looks like she didn't have time to do her hair and just plopped a tiara (a beautiful on I might add) on her head grabbed the nearest pair of gloves without looking at the colour. The dress is nice but she could have lost the gloves. She didn't even have to do a fancy up-do pulling her hair back into a nice simple french twist would have been nice. Having her hair down take away from the tiara. Princess Noor looks beautiful too.

Okay, I am confused. Is Prince Hazmah HM's brother? or half-brother?
His wife is Noor. Who is Princess Rahma and who is she accompanied by in the formal picture?

Thank you in advance,
Linda 85

Prince Hazmah is HM half brother. His mother is Queen Noor but not related to Princess Noor :)

I think Princess Rahma is a cousin but I am not sure of the familial connection.

linda85 said:
Okay, I am confused. Is Prince Hazmah HM's brother? or half-brother?
His wife is Noor. Who is Princess Rahma and who is she accompanied by in the formal picture?

Thank you in advance,
Linda 85

Prince Hamzah is King abdullah half-brother. He is Queen Noor's oldest son. Who Princess Rahma is accompanied by I don't know. and your welcome Linda 85

The best dressed are Noor, Beatrix, Rahma and Margriet. I agree with the consensus on Rania's dress and the color of gloves...maybe its a new fashion look...who knows?! Noor looks radiant!

Laurentien...oh...what can I say. I like the dress...but I think that the top of it is too loud, big, etc. It over powers the rest of the dress. And its too bad that Beatrix and Laurentien couldn't trade tiaras. Laurentien looks too big for her hair and Beatrix's looks too small for hers!

Last edited:
Princess Laurentien looks to be the best dressed woman tonight!

Shadiyah2086 said:
Prince Hamzah is King abdullah half-brother. He is Queen Noor's oldest son. Who Princess Rahma is accompanied by I don't know. and your welcome Linda 85

Princess Rahma is the eldest daughter of King Abdullah's uncle Prince Hassan (till 1999 the crown prince of Jordan). She is accompanied by her husband Alaa Batayneh.

Thanks for the information Veram98. Interesting choice...who chooses who gets to go on State Visits? Does Princess Rahma live in the Netherlands?

Zonk said:
Laurentien...oh...what can I say. I like the dress...but I think that the top of it is too loud, big, etc. It over powers the rest of the dress. And its too bad that Beatrix and Laurentien couldn't trade tiaras. Laurentien looks too big for her hair and Beatrix's looks too small for hers!

Actually I think the laurel tiara and the pearl tiara are simular in size. The Queen just likes to hide her jewels in her coiffure.

Zonk said:
Thanks for the information Veram98. Interesting choice...who chooses who gets to go on State Visits? Does Princess Rahma live in the Netherlands?

She is living in Jordan. Her husband is a Secretary General in one of the Jordanian Ministries (I do not remember which). Prince Hassan and his family have been always rather good friends of QBeatrix and are often present when somebody marries in the Oranje family.

Last edited:
I just don't liked Queen Rania's drees, and those gloves!!!! Love the way Laurentin looks :).But the best all the way imo, is Princess Margriet:clap:

Princess Noor looks pregnant , if she is congratulations to her and prince hamza ...Queen Rania looked pretty ( thanks to her make up ) , the combination of the gloves , dress , the hair and the tiara is not flattering ...i expected some style from her ...

Trust me before and during the first 3 years of marriage QR was more veluptuous and I have the pictures (if I can find them to prove it) Having said that as she's given birth to 4 children and is health concious her shape has fluctuated. Especially after giving birth to Salma and Hashim her figure noticeably changed.

But anyway she looked well, dispite the broken ankle.:)

amina1 said:
QRania has been always skinny

when Princess Noor dues of her pregnant but she looks so pregnant!

Royals ladies looks so lovely in banquet and i would agree with Rania's new tiara looks so big for her but i dont blame her its her decide

I really like Rania's tiara- its different. But it just doesn't mesh well with the way she has her hair styled. Maybe if she had styled her hair up it would work, but with it down it just doesn't go well with the tiara. It looks more like a headband than anything.

Thank you Zonk and Shadiyah2086! I appreciate the helpful answers. Royal families and their descendants can be quite confusing at times.

Thanks again and have a great day.
Linda 85

Also thank you to Veram98!!

I agree with the comments on Queen Rania, she should've worn her hair up and the black gloves dont go too well with the dress. Having said that, her makeup is absolutely lovely and she does have that dazzling smile that lights up her face.
I thought she looked much better at her arrival, the picture of elegance. She seems to be going through a head-band phase, having worn them a couple of times now over the past few months.

As for Rania's tiara, it certainly does look like it has Arabic writing on it (she has worn jewellery and clothing with Quranic inscriptions on them). For those who recognize Arabic script, Im pretty sure I see the word "Allah" on both the left and right side of the tiara, in this picture.

Princess Noor looked very lovely. Im so glad she and her husband were able to accompany King Abdullah and Queen Rania on this visit.
Princess Rahma looked pretty as well.

More photos from 30th October 2006. I really liked Queen Rania's elegant outfit at the arrival, however, I think that Queen Rania should have worn her hair up at a state banquet.

Photos source: POLFOTO

I guess I'll be different......I think Rania looks amazing. She has dark hair, dark eyes; she has a flair for the dramatic. I love the combination of the purple gown with dark gloves [they look black to me]. I also love her hair down. I don't think wearing your hair up makes you look more regal than if you wear it down. If you're truly regal, it'll show through no matter how you look. Personally, an up-do with a fancy tiara is rather boring, considering that's what about 99.9% of princess/queens do with their hair. Wearing it down is different, and it makes you stand out. I happen to love it.

syima said:
Hi there, thank so much for posting to here.... where did u get the first picture on left side from?? I dont see it from Petra news... Its really beautiful pixs...

You're welcome. This pictures is now an Petra site.
I also don't like the dress and her hairstyle, but on the other hand she looks young and modern. The other two outfits from yesterday were really elegant, and her hairstyle was just perfect.

This is my favourite picture: http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=netherot9.jpg

Thank you for all the photos! I've been looking forward to this trip for a while after it was cancelled under such unfortunate and tragic circumstances.

Rania looks great, I really like her outfits so far, including the evening dress, which looks gorgeous. My only complaint are the gloves and tiara. The tiara just doesn't seem to sit on her hair properly. She looks great though, she must be incredibly uncomfortable because of her foot, it's good to see she's not letting it get in her way.

It's also a really pleasant surprise to see Rania and Abdullah accompanied by so many family members. I've never seen a proper photo of Princess Rahma before as they're usually small, unfocused etc. but she's a very pretty woman. I'd say she's probably the prettiest of all of Hassan and Sarvath's children. Congratulations to Noor and Hamzah on their pregnancy, Noor is blooming and looks gorgeous!

My favourite picture of the trip so far, its' very sweet.
http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=32zv2.jpg

Humera said:
As for Rania's tiara, it certainly does look like it has Arabic writing on it (she has worn jewellery and clothing with Quranic inscriptions on them). For those who recognize Arabic script, Im pretty sure I see the word "Allah" on both the left and right side of the tiara, in this picture.

Alot of clothing and jewllery use arabic scrip on them. Its usually not used from the quran, they use some phrases from different poems on the cloth, jewls etc. sometimes the word "allah" can be used.but VERY unlikely its from the quran

Queen Rania was very dissapointing. the dress, the gloves, the hair and the new tiara didnt go very well also seemed like it did not fit her very well.
Princess Noor looked amazing, id like to see a full length of her dress. She is growing up to be a pretty young women. I though that Princess Laurentien would dissapoint us since she does not get it right usually, but she proved wrong. she looked really good. love her tiara

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see on the pictures of the banquet that Queen Rania was very tired / thinking.

Rahma is prince Hassan's Daughter (King hussien's brother) and she accompanies by her husband Mr.Ala'a Batayneh.

dazzling said:
Alot of clothing and jewllery use arabic scrip on them. Its usually not used from the quran, they use some phrases from different poems on the cloth, jewls etc. sometimes the word "allah" can be used.but VERY unlikely its from the quran
Im not sure about the arabic script, I dun see that, I can see smthing that looks like the word "Allah" but I highly doubt it,why wud she wear a tiara that has arabic scripts on it :ohmy:

Tartucat said:
More photos from 30th October 2006. I really liked Queen Rania's elegant outfit at the arrival, however, I think that Queen Rania should have worn her hair up at a state banquet.

umm the last pic is very interesting! :rolleyes:

Tartucat said:

I totally agree. A tiara should be worn with the hair up, it's much more elegant and classy !

I think princess Noor looks great, very elegant and quite stylish, no fussy jewellery, a simple pair of earrings in the two events was quite enough. Rania definetly didn't look good which is not normal for her, the evening gown looked ill fitted, the gloves OMG what can I say, you guys wrote everything there is to be written, the tiara looked too big on her , the hair is gettig everywhere , it simply does not look good on a woman in her late thirtys, she is not a teenager anymore , she is a Queen for goodness sake and must look classy, to be fair to her she does most of the times apart from the hair, lol do you remember the so unsuitable hairbands uugh. She fails though when she trys very hard, like in this visit, I hope she reads this thread and take notes as we sometimes wonder :flowers:

tesaweer said:
I think princess Noor looks great, very elegant and quite stylish, no fussy jewellery, a simple pair of earrings in the two events was quite enough. Rania definetly didn't look good which is not normal for her, the evening gown looked ill fitted, the gloves OMG what can I say, you guys wrote everything there is to be written, the tiara looked too big on her , the hair is gettig everywhere , it simply does not look good on a woman in her late thirtys, she is not a teenager anymore , she is a Queen for goodness sake and must look classy, to be fair to her she does most of the times apart from the hair, lol do you remember the so unsuitable hairbands uugh. She fails though when she trys very hard, like in this visit, I hope she reads this thread and take notes as we sometimes wonder :flowers:
LOL Agree! I really hope so too,lol

assia said:
I totally agree. A tiara should be worn with the hair up, it's much more elegant and classy !

I couldn't agree more with you!

Personally, I'm absolutely flabbergasted...:w00t: ...that Laurentien could get it so right...and Rania so wrong! She looks like she bought her outfit at the airport duty-free...including the tiara.

Laurentien's tiara is one of te most classy I've seen in quite a while.

lil Monkey said:
umm the last pic is very interesting! :rolleyes:
I think they're using the media to send a lot of messages, this one deffinetly say we share everything, we are in it head to head constitution or not (reffering to that letter), but OMG this is her worst profile I've ever seen poor thing, QRania, please do us and yourself a favour, put on few kilograms and have a haircut, love the way KA looked in this visit though :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom