Spanish Introductory Visit to The Netherlands: October 15, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Diplomatic Information Office has issued the following statement:

Their Majesties will make ​​an official visit to the Kingdom of the Netherlands on Wednesday, October 15, accompanied by the Minister of Energy, Trade and Tourism Jose Manuel Soria.

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima will receive King Felipe and Queen Letizia at the Noordeinde Palace, where a lunch will be held afterwards.

Also they will visit the Senate and House of Representatives of the States General, where they will meet with their presidents, Ankie Broekers-Knol and Anouchka van Miltenburg, respectively, and a group of parliamentarians from both houses.

Then a meeting is planned at the headquarters of the Government,with the Prime Minister of the Netherlands Mark Rutte.

Viaje de SS.MM. los Reyes a los Países Bajos

Incoming one day visit of TM The King and Queen of Spain

:spainstandard::dutchstandard:

TM King Felipe and Queen Letizia will visit The Netherlands on wednesday october 15th.TM will be welcomes by King Willem Alexander and Queen Máxima at Noordeinde Palace and will visit Parliament and PM Mark Rutte in the afternoon.

Unofficial message: Fiesta!!!!

His Majesty King Willem-Alexander and Her Majesty Queen Máxima received Wednesday, October 15, 2014 His Majesty King Felipe VI and Her Majesty Queen Letizia of Spain for a one-day visit. The Spanish royal couple will be accompanied by Minister Jose Manuel Soria of Industry, Energy and Tourism.
Source

Several Dutch news outlets pay attention to the visit in advance. They esp. mention that in the Spanish press a comparison was amde between the two Queens, and that the Spanish press reached the conclusion that Máxima would have had a difficult time in getting accepted in Spain too. They also mention the criticism on the Queen during the national day, for something that would only be applauded in the Dutch press.

ROYALBLOG.NL: Bezoek van Spaanse koninklijke vrienden

in english:
http://gpdhome.typepad.com/royalblo...ish-king-and-queen-expected-in-the-hague.html

Last edited:
Hat and gloves and handbag for Queen Maxima , only a handbag for Queen Letitzia. Is that normal ?

Hat gloves and handbag are usual for Q. Máxima on official occasions these days, thankfully. The Spanish queen seldom wears hats and gloves. But the same difference was noted between Q. Beatrix and Q. Sofia when they met in the past, so the two new queens both adapted to the style at their own court. I believe there is even a Dutch carnaval song from the 80-ties with the title 'how many hats does the queen have'.

Last edited:
Maxi is a Queen. No one can compare with her vivaciousness when shes in full "mode" Letizia who looks beautiful just pales. They are good friends so Im sure she expects nothing less from Maxi!!!!!

Hat and gloves and handbag for Queen Maxima , only a handbag for Queen Letitzia. Is that normal ?

Queen Máxima dresses as a Queen, following the etiquette for formal daywear. Doña Letizia "forgot" who she is and who she is visiting. Way underdressed.

:flowers:

Queen Máxima dresses as a Queen, following the etiquette for formal daywear. Doña Letizia "forgot" who she is and who she is visiting. Way underdressed.

I believe Spain has different code! although I think they could agree what to use or what not to use

I believe Spain has different code! although I think they could agree what to use or what not to use

I agree, the Spanish just have a different dress code. No need to keep flogging the same dead horse.

I'm not sure it is necessary for a pre-agreement to be made as to who should wear what before a visit like this. Both queens look exactly as I would expect them to look.

Imagine Queen Letizia wearing a heavy silk outfit with a giant hat in a bright colour and an industrial-sized gem necklace just because she is visiting the Netherlands.....people would soon think she was copying Queen Maxima! Then imagine Maxima wearing a light silk dress, hair down and no jewellery standing outside Noordeinde Palace.....people would soon criticise her for somehow dressing down from her normal wear just because Letizia is visiting.

W-A and Felipe greeting was warm and jovial. I wonder if Bea was watching from an upstairs window and was giving first hand commentary to Sofia over the phone.

"Yes, yes they just arrived. Big hugs all around. Maxima is in danger of knocking them with her hat. I told her to go with the turban but she didn't listen. Yes Sofie, I'll call you later with more news. "

Doña Sofía has just dropped her standards. During an earlier State Visit to the Netherlands (1980) she wore a hat: http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/tqgr/image/797/2264455-530-800.jpg

Duc, in 20 years the protocol of state visits in the Netherlands also changed ... in 1980 men wear uniforms and decorations.

In 2006 in Norway, where the use of uniform remains, Queen Sofia wore a hat. Also she wore head pieces in the royal weddings.

http://www.casareal.es/sitios/ListasAux/Galeras/3290/1149605673117.jpg
http://bodasreales.hola.com/imagene...1199/boda/guillermo/maxima/0-4-969/4969-b.jpg
http://www.abc.es/especiales/boda-real/archivos/201104/familia-real1-967xXx80.jpg

If men wear normal suits, the ladies are not required to cover their heads.

If a code could be formulated, it might be easier for everyone...Perhaps on the basis of 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do' ?

ie - The guests adopt the sartorial norms of the host nation [for the duration of the visit]

Back
Top Bottom