Remembrance and Liberation Day: May 4 and 5, 2004-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remembrance and Liberation Day; May 4th and 5th, 2007

HM The Queen and HRH the Prince of Orange attended the annual remembrance of the second world war at Dam square, Amsterdam on May 4th.

ANP pictures (1)

ANP Pictures (2)

ANP pictures (3)

Pieter van Vollenhoven and his son HH Prince Pieter-Christiaan went to the Grebbenberg in Rhenen:

ANP pictures (1)

ANP pictures (2)

Remembrance and Liberation Day; May 4th and 5th, 2008

:dutchstandard:
HM The Queen and Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima will attend the Memorial Ceremony at the Nieuwe Kerk,Amsterdam tomorrow may 4th,the Day of Remembrance of the Death that fell during WW II,both military and civilians,and during all missions since.

After the Memorial Ceremony HM and TRH will walk to the National Monument at the Dam Square to lay a wreath,followed by two minutes of
silence at 08.00PM,after which wreaths will be layed by representatives of the Government,Parliament,the Forces,the Merchant Fleet,the Resistance,representatives of the Jewish community,all other denominations,survivors of the concentrationcamps,the Gay community and many,many other groups/foundations involved with the upkeep of the memory of the attrocities,so we shan't forget......

Always a most impressive ceremony,attended by tens of thousands.

On monday may 5th,we here celebrate Liberation Day,as it was on this day in 1945 the war ended,here,not in our Netherlands East-Indies,
as the japanese didn't loose & surrender untill august 1945.

From a day of deep mourning,burst into a day of great nationwide celebrations.In the evening Her Majesty traditionally attends the concert at the Amstel River here in Amsterdam,in front of the Royal Theater Carré,just a beautifull setting.After the concert HM will return by boat,floating on water AND the applause of all these people to the City Hall,Stopera,were her car awaits her to take her home.

HM has a busy schedule next week.

Het Koninklijk Huis

I expect ten's of thousands there again as the weather forecast is just great,a summer day in may

I was last year at Dam squar, for the first time. Only a few glimpses of th royals but the entire event was more moving than I thought. Esp. when the national anthem was played.

I am looking forward to the liberation day concert, I might be going there this year. Does' t HM usually leave the concert in the boat under the ong ' we will meet again' by Dame Vera Lynn?

I was wondering, will Prof. van Vollenhoven be attending the ceremony on the Grebbeberg in Rhenen this year again?

I was last year at Dam squar, for the first time. Only a few glimpses of th royals but the entire event was more moving than I thought. Esp. when the national anthem was played.

I am looking forward to the liberation day concert, I might be going there this year. Does' t HM usually leave the concert in the boat under the ong ' we will meet again' by Dame Vera Lynn?

I was wondering, will Prof. van Vollenhoven be attending the ceremony on the Grebbeberg in Rhenen this year again?

Beautifull isn't it,goosebumps and an intens awareness of what event one attends.

Yep,dear old Dame Vera Lynn's "We"ll meet again" is the sign for HM to leave by boat,and as you know she's cheered at by the ten's of thousands,another goosebumps moment as far as I'm concerned don't you agree?She's really taking a bath in wellwishers who show their
love & respect for her there and then.I think she just loves it as one of THE favorite/warmest moments in the year,and she so deserves it.

Don't know on Pieter van Vollenhoven tho,might very well be there even tho it is not announced.The Grebbeberg,the venue for one of the fiercest battles before The Netherlands had to surrender.It was at the Grebbeberg HM Queen Wilhelmina would have wished to go and die like a soldier,instead of being forced to leave.The Netherlands had to surrender as the Germans bombed the city of Rotterdam and treatened to bomb Amsterdam,The Hague and Utrecht as well if we didn't.Much of the material in use in our army was old and out of date,much to Wilhelmina's chagrin.But then again,I did hear,thrustworthy,stories that there was this old fortress near there,just stacked with the latest of the latest,guarded but un-used.Odd,don't you think?

Anyhow,it will be very impressive and solemn again,remembering all those that perished.Not that we've learned all that much from it over the decades,it just goes on and on and on,a never ending circle of death and fear & destruction.Such a hard-headed bunch we all are.

And at the Dam Square will be a man who knows all too well,as it's still so fresh,how it feels to loose a child,a son,in battle.
The new Commander of the Royal Dutch Forces,General Peter van Uhm just lost his son,Dennis and his buddy Mark Schouwink,
two weeks ago in Afghanistan.My thoughts will especially go out to them,and through them,to all other less or even not known
soldiers and civilians.

Author Marga Minco was supposed to hold the speech this year at the Nieuwe kerk, but sadly she is ill. Her daughter Jessica Voeten will speech instead.

I find that these ceremonies become more important each year as there are fewer and fewer vetrans and civilians who fought and particiapated in WWII.

I find that these ceremonies become more important each year as there are fewer and fewer vetrans and civilians who fought and particiapated in WWII.

Oh I agree,and as there are fewer veterans each year,it becomes more important to involve the youngsters in this,make them aware that nothing is for granted,as is their widespread believe,and that there was a time not sooo long ago,where one nation thought they were above the other.

But then again,war never stopped,there always has been a war or more going on since 1945,but kids these days simply don't care occupied as they are with their nintendo's or whatever junk it is,a very superficial lot really,still,and probably ditto parents.

Yesterday at the Dam Square there was a huge group of young schoolchildren who could lay their flowers at the Monument.Children from all sorts of backgrounds,but mostly a mix of the multi-culti society we live in here these days.And they seemed proud to be able to participate too.I do hope however that their teachers know enough on the subject to really give them that awe feeling of respect we had as children when we were told/tought.Especially them,as there is little chance their older brothers will go and use the wreaths and flowers as footballs as they did several times already.Really,the wreaths and flowers have to be protected/guarded as that filistine lot abuses the memories of the ones who fell and kick the wreaths down the streets.

So,each evening for a week,the wreaths and flowers at the National Monument will be taken inside a building nearby,and put back in place early in the morning,guarded,as to prevent any infidel to go about as the filistine he is.Not joking here,but it does show the amount of total disrespect among a large,a way to large,group here,a group beyond the controle of their parents once outside their homes that doesn't respect anything at all of our customs and freedoms.Our freedoms.I haven't seen ever before in my life more disrespect then at this present time,nor officials doing so little about it either.

If there isn't enough respect towards the freedoms and traditions we hold dear here in The Netherlands by a vast group,that present day multiculti pet like thing,then what do you think they think on WW II and those who fell?They don't give a you name it.I demand respect and adjustment from each and everyone who comes to live here,and if not,go.

Another example of freedom crushed was on Queensday here in Amsterdam during an open air gay fashion show when 10 multi culti,as I will neatly call them here,filistines,pulled a gay model of the catwalk and beat him up just for the heck of it,with a lot of by-standers who didn't/couldn't do anything because they were 10 and it all happened so fast.No,none has been caught yet,but all they deserve is a kick and a one-way ticket.

Won't say more on it,nor on how much it is really needed to raise more awareness among youngsters.I'm sure you catched my drift.But isn't it sad that the wreaths for the deaths have to be guarded during the day and protected,taken inside,during the night?I think it just about says it all.
Awfull,just awfull.

Last edited:
That last photo is very poignant. It really seems to capture the moment. I always avoided the square because of the crush, but I did camp out in the cafe in the Bijenkorf one year where you get the most amazing view of the entire proceedings!

That last photo is very poignant. It really seems to capture the moment. I always avoided the square because of the crush, but I did camp out in the cafe in the Bijenkorf one year where you get the most amazing view of the entire proceedings!

That's a great idea!On crushing,this year there were 25000 attending at the Dam Square!Imagine.

This is indeed a very moving sight. I shudder to think what our world would be like today if the Nazis had not been defeated.

HM attended the Liberation Day concert at the Amstel river,Amsterdam last night:

Het Koninklijk Huis

Curtesy ANP/Koen van Weel.

ANP Beeldbank

courtesy Royalimages/ANP/

Last edited:
I like the balance between the two days. May 3rd is somber and a day of reflection. Then you have the happiness of May 4th.

I think you got that wrong: on May 4th is the remembrance of all the war victims and May 5th is Liberation Day...:flowers:

This is indeed a very moving sight. I shudder to think what our world would be like today if the Nazis had not been defeated.

I shudder to think of how close they actually came to winning.
Some people don't like referring to WW2 generation as "the greatest generation", but after watching a documentary called "The War" I truly think the title is fitting.

Sorry,but the ppe pics just arrived today:

PPE Agency

courtesy PPE/ v/d Werf.

Oh I loved the concert and the whole atmosphere,should be a obligatory visit for all forum members,wouldn't you agree?
:wub:

Well, for those fortunate enough to live close by yes. Though I tried to go there but it was so busy that I thought I would be wasting my time, as I wasn' t even able to get a glimpse of the stage.

Anyway, do you know if there was any member of the RF at the defile in Wageningen? They had one this year too, look here. Usually Prince Bernhard would be there and last year I think Prof. van Vollenhoven was.

Last edited:
Well, for those fortunate enough to live close by yes. Though I tried to go there but it was so busy that I thought I would be wasting my time, as I wasn' t even able to get a glimpse of the stage.

Anyway, do you know if there was any member of the RF at the defile in Wageningen? They had one this year too, look here. Usually Prince Bernhard would be there and last year I think Prof. van Vollenhoven was.

Next year we'll go and sit on the Magere Brug at 4PM,with our picknick baskets.

Remembrance and Liberation Day; May 4th and 5th, 2009

Tomorrow monday may 4th is Remembrance Day.We commemorate the dead of WWII and all
other wars and missions after that,both military and civilian.

A very solemn day,all the more so in light of recent events.Allthough
they were no victims related to war,they too were innocent and it would
be impossible not to think of them as well.

HM has choosen to attend as She traditionally does,accompanied by TRH
The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima.

They will attend the National Remembrance service at the Nieuwe Kerk,Amsterdam,
after which HM and The Prince of Orange will lay a wreath at the National Monument
at the Dam square at a few minutes before 20.00PM.
At 20.00PM 2 minutes silence will be observed.

Wreaths will be layed by survivors of WWII,Government,Military,the merchant fleet
and all kinds of organisations among them gypsy and gay organisations.

After that ceremony HM and TRH The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima will walk passed the wreaths.

As usual there will be tens of thousands in attendance on Dam Square,
this year,in light of events,more are expected as a token of support and
genuine love for our Royal Family.This perticular ceremony is the most solemn
on both the Royal and our own agendas.Flags fly at halfmast that day.

Pieter van Vollenhoven will attend the solemn ceremony at the Military Field of Honour at the Grebbeberg.
The venue of fierce fighting in WWII in the days before the dutch troops there had to surrender in may 1940.

Tuesday may 5th we celebrate the Liberation and the surrender of the Germans and Japanese
here and in the former Dutch East-Indies,present day Indonesia.

It always is a day of great festivities simular to those on Queensday.

HM The Queen will attend the Liberation Day concert at the Amstel river,
Amsteram in the evening.The program of the music has been adjusted,a
more solemn programme will be performed due to the tragedy on Queensday.

Pieter van Vollenhoven will attend celebrations in the city of Wageningen,
the city was the venue of the official surrender
of the german occupying forces on my 5th 1945.

Het Koninklijk Huis

http://www.4en5mei.nl/herdenken

Last edited:
As usual there will be tens of thousands in attendance on Dam Square,
this year,in light of events,more are expected as a token of support and
genuine love for our Royal Family.This perticular ceremony is the most solemn.

Het Koninklijk Huis

Herdenken

Thanks for all the info Lucien. After the Queen´s Day incident I hope they can spend in peace this celebration.

Btw, is this day most solem than the Prinsjedag?

Thanks for all the info Lucien. After the Queen´s Day incident I hope they can spend in peace this celebration.

Remembrance certainly is yes,we remember the dead and the cermonies are far more solemn.And rightfully so.
Prinsjesdag is when we hear about the next rise in taxes.That is different,one can not really compare the two.

Last edited:

Images of previous years as the Nation Commemorates their dead due to wars and missions abroad on this most solemn day on our National agenda.

ANP Beeldbank

courtesy royalimages.

There's less space at the Dam Square for the public tonight due to the stricter security that is in place in light of the tragedy in Apeldoorn.

Still,there's more then enough room left for all in the surrounding areas.
This was announced by the Mayor of Amsterdam,Job Cohen,this morning.

There are more people then usual expected at tonights ceremonies.

Amsterdam this evening,the National Remembrance of the dead of WWII and other wars & missions involving dutch military & civilians:

ANP Beeldbank

PPE Agency

Courtesy royalimages & ppe

Last edited:
The mayor of Amsterdam, Job Cohen, hold a speech, in which he said among other things: 'Every year we remember the fallen, here on Dam square, with the attendance of our queen. Especially this year we are happy to have her amidst us'.

The people on Dam square started a spontanious applause after this comment of the mayor.

Back
Top Bottom