Remembrance and Liberation Day: May 4 and 5, 2004-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The mayor of Amsterdam, Job Cohen, hold a speech, in which he said among other things: 'Every year we remember the fallen, here on Dam square, with the attendance of our queen. Especially this year we are happy to have her amidst us'.

The people on Dam square started a spontanious applause after this comment of the mayor.

As HM and TRH arrived at the Nieuwe Kerk there already was a round of applaus,
The applaus at the Dam Square was heartwarming,it really was.

Our Queen was visibly moved hearing the round of applaus,all were,beautifull:

ANP Beeldbank

http://www.royalimages.nl/search.pp?productionjobid=31455&flush=1

Remembrance at the War Memorial Apeldoorn this evening,HRH Princess Margriet was among the public.
ANP Beeldbank

Last edited:
It looked like a beautiful service.

Wonderful such Bravery especially after what just happened im glad they applauded the Queen

Wearth laying ceremony at the WWII memorial at the monument op de Dam with Princess Maxima, Queen Beatrix and Prince Willem-Alexander.

PPE Agency

Pieter van Vollenhoven and Prince Pieter-Christiaan at the WWII memorial at the monument on the Militair Ereveld Grebbeberg in Rhenen.

PPE Agency

Last edited:
From Dutchnews.nl:

Royals in Amsterdam for Remembrance Day

Monday 04 May 2009
Security is being stepped up in Amsterdam on Monday as the queen, crown prince Willem-Alexander and princess Máxima take part in the traditional wreath-laying ceremony at the Dam war memorial this evening.
There wil be fewer places for members of the public, because of the extra security measures, the city's mayor Job Cohen told news agency ANP. 'Nevertheless, we have been able to preserve the open character of the event,' he said.

Read the entire article here.

----------------

Over 20.000 people attended the remembrance ceremony. Note that the roads to Dam square were blocked by police vans.

Who is the small woman with glasses standing next to the Queen in all the pictures?

Who is the small woman with glasses standing next to the Queen in all the pictures?

Els Swaab, the chair(wo)man of the 4 & 5 May comittee, that organises the ceremony.

Last edited:
Extra security measures on the Amstel river tonight too, at the annual liberation day concert. The people living around the area of the concert are forbidden to open their windows, be on balconies etc. as they used to do. A pity for them as it is probably the best spot if you want to see the concert.

Maxima seems very sad in the pictures and all the RF.

I find that strange, the man was obviously not part of a group but a loner who went nuts. For the people who enjoyed listening to the concert it is a great pity, I would really feel annoyed if I was one of them.

This reaction of the officials regarding security does point to a major change for Koninginnedag next year.

Extra security measures on the Amstel river tonight too, at the annual liberation day concert. The people living around the area of the concert are forbidden to open their windows, be on balconies etc. as they used to do. A pity for them as it is probably the best spot if you want to see the concert.

TRH The Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima visited the site in Apeldoorn today,
and visited the families of four of the victims today as well..
They looked at the flowers placed there and people were impressed and pleasantly surprised to see them there.

It is unmistakingly a Royal sign that they will not have themselves nor any celebration curtailed due to one loone nut,
and they are among us,with us.Especially on the day we celebrate our Freedom.

Last edited:
Seems like these types of things are really typical us Dutch. Never seen such things happen in other countries :)

Seems like these types of things are really typical us Dutch. Never seen such things happen in other countries :)

:dutchflag:

(Haven't seen our flag yet here today allthough it is a flagflying day,inspite and because of everything)

Or that is soo true Empress Merel.Nowhere,only here.

Even though..we have a penchant for naming many a nice thing in life " typical dutch " this most certainly is.
Wouldn't wish,or even contemplate,to swap with any of the other RF's out there.It goes to show again there is nonesuch as ours!:)

And it's not only the RF whom we always support or give back-up. It goes for everything. Best example is ofcourse football.

With Queensday, 4 and 5 may, sports etc we Dutch are just one. Doesn't matter where you're from or where you stand for; nobody is left out.

I certainly am proud to be Dutch and the fact we have such an amazing RF. Wouldn't trade it for the world. :flowers:

PPE Agency

Piere van Vollenhoven attended the Liberation Day celebrations in Wageningen,the town that was the venue of the surrender by the Germans on may 5th 1945.

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=05-05-2009 Wageningen
There was a loud applaus for him too and he was visibly moved.

courtesy ppe

HM leaving after the concert,applauded and cheered by thousands,again.:):

Het Koninklijk Huis

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=05-05-2009%20Amsterdam

courtesy ppe

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that video, anirac! The NOS news interviewed several people in the public, many of which said they especially came for queen Beatrix. Nice such a show of support, esp. in 'republican' Amsterdam.

I am glad that the security measures didn't prevent people with boats attening the concert, it is a nice sight.

Last edited:
The Dutch are very special and the Dutch Royal Family seem to be in a class all of there own. Bravo!! I feel I have learned alot this past week.

Remembrance and Liberation Day; May 4th and 5th, 2010

Today the Remembrance Service on the Dam in Amsterdam was disturbed due to a visitor who got unwell.
This incident took place at the end of the two minutes of national silence. People started to panic and the huge crowd tried to get away from the Dam, fences fell down while the Royal Family, who attended the service were quickly brought inside the church.
After a few minutes it became clear that it was safe to continue the service and there was no reason to panic.
The Queen, the Prince and Princess of Orange, who were also present at last years attack on the Royal Family on Queens Day where many visitors got hurt and people died, returned to the service but were clearly close to tears and must have been so scared when this happened. For a moment I thought there was a new attack on people visiting such a huge event.

I respect what the Royals did tonight. Altough they must have been terrified they returned to duty and kept a brave face.
We should be so proud of our Queen.

It's terrible what had happened! I was shocked! RESPECT!

*pffffewwww.*

What a scare.
I was listening to the radio. Not being able to see what was going on, was terrible. Not knowing if the 1700 people on the square were fine or not.
The Royal Family again got an applause, and there was an applause too at the end of the National Anthem (which normally never ever happens).
I hope that everyone will be fine soon and that those children which almost got trampled will be fine too.

http://nos.nl/video/155131-beelden-van-paniek-bij-dodenherdenking.html?from=video.carousel

Last edited:
Remembrance and Liberation Day; May 4th and 5th, 2010

Queen Beatrix, Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and Crown Princess
Maxima attended the national remembrance on the Dam in Amsterdam,
on 04 May 2010. During the two minutes silence on the Dam there
was a disturbance and people ran away from the event. Several
people, also children, were carried away. Queen Beatrix and her
supporting team left the remembrance proceedings but returned
after a short time. Thousands of people turned up in the capital
as the queen laid a wreath to honour all those who have died in
conflicts from World War II onwards.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** belga/anp **