Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip's Visit to The Netherlands: February 5, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They must get on very well, I don't think I can remember such a 'happy' greeting in a long time.
Thank you to everyone who posted pictures! :flowers:

Video

Here is one link, from the NOS (the Dutch equivalent of the BBC):

http://www.nos.nl/nosjournaal/artikelen/2007/2/5/050207_elizabeth.html

Click on the little camera in 'mediatheek' to open a video.
Possibly, depending on your settings, you have to click on 'open stream in player'.

A video from RTL Television (a commercial Dutch channel)

Click on this link RTLNieuws.nl - Video

And choose in Video's Maandag: 'Bliksembezoek Elizabeth II' (you will get a 15 seconds advertorial first). The report lasts 1.55 minutes and shows the arrival and a visit to the International Court of Justice. Strange thing: did the Queen not recognize her own former Chief Household who is now a Lord Justice in The Hague?

Last edited:
Thankyou for that link Henri. It's a lovely video.

I tell you what, I am having a truly rotten day. But seeing them happy like that just makes me smile!

This visit certainly made my day as well :)
And I just saw a tiny little coverage of the visit on CNN. The only thing is, they said that 'Dutch Queen Beatrix and her husband hosted the visit', they do need to learn a little more of what they are talking about. :ermm:

Another Gallery of pictures from Abaca.

i was really looking forward to the visit of her majesty to the netherlands! i think all the pictures we have seen prove not only that there is no rivalry between both ladies but that they are both good friends.

i loved to see the pictures of two powerful ladies together!

where was maxima? some people said she was at the airport, but i saw no pictures...

was it a one day visit? would have loved it if it was longer and elizabeth had the chance to meet the family members!

carlota said:
was it a one day visit? would have loved it if it was longer and elizabeth had the chance to meet the family members!

It was said on the news that Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip had lunch at Huis ten Bosch, the Queen's private residence, with members of the Queen's family. Most likely the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima were there as well.

Oh to be a fly on the wall at Huis ten Bosch. It must have been a wonderful day for the two Queens.

Old private visit

This snapshot of the British and Dutch royal couples was taken during a carriage ride into the Royal Domains around the mediaeval Castle Het Oude Loo (the Queen's weekend retreat, where Crown Prince Naruhito, Princess Masako and Princess Aiko enjoyed their vacation).

There was a grand banquet in Palace Het Loo, offered by Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus. The Queen had a surprise for her guests: an exact replica of a 17th century fireworks once ordered by Willem III of Nassau, Prince of Orange for his wife MaryII Stuart, Princess of York (later King Willem III and Queen Mary). The fireworks were complete with thousands of candles in the palace park, as you can see.

The Queen and the Duke were stunned by this great surprise in their honour. During the Banquet, the present Prince of Orange took in the footsteps of his great forebearer and was a gallant host to Her Majesty, seated next to her. As you can see, Queen Elizabeth still had the oldfashioned habit of blanqueting her face.

Last edited:
Marengo said:
Does anyone have an exact sheduele of this visit? I ould like to know at what time Their Majesties will arrive at the Aglican Church, I might skip classes to have a look ;)

Where were you?We have been on the look-out all the time from 15.00PM till after the arrival,and from after the hot coco and port & bitterballen to the departure?We,not as in pluralis majestatis,but in fellow posters on all the Boards/Forums,really sorry you've missed it obviously.:bang:

Royal Images

Courtesy Royalimages.

Last edited:
You know, I wonder what language they speak in. I would imagine that it is not Dutch. But both ladies are acomplished linguists. So I wonder, would it be English, the mother tongue of QEII, and which Queen Beatrix is fluent in, especially after spending a part of her childhood in Canada. Would it be French, which is considered the language diplomatique, and which both are fluent in, or German, again, which both Queens are fluent in. Does anyone know the answer?

Looking at the footage, it seems that QEII is speaking in English when she meets Queen Beatrix.

Absolutely English.

Queen Beatrix speaks wonderful English. Besides her Canadian years there was also a British/Hong Kong-born 'Nurse' for young Princess Beatrix to finetune her English pronouncation.

Queen Beatrix also speaks French indeed (so does Queen Elizabeth as well) but in this particular case, English is almost a native tongue for both lady Sovereigns.

Last edited:
Empress said:
You know, I wonder what language they speak in. I would imagine that it is not Dutch. But both ladies are acomplished linguists. So I wonder, would it be English, the mother tongue of QEII, and which Queen Beatrix is fluent in, especially after spending a part of her childhood in Canada. Would it be French, which is considered the language diplomatique, and which both are fluent in, or German, again, which both Queens are fluent in. Does anyone know the answer?

I knew EII spoke French but German?

Yes, she definitely speaks german. Also, as it is in her family lineage that is not so unusual, but if I am correct QEII speaks six languages I believe. The three above, as well as Latin, and the two others that I can not remember for some reason

Henri M. said:
Prince Willem-Alexander addresses Queen Elizabeth as 'Madam, my Aunt'.

Queen Elizabeth will have written on her will-wishes card for Prince Willem-Alexander 'Sir, my Cousin'

There is a fine line in that. When Princess Beatrix became Queen, she remained to say 'Madam, my Aunt' to Queen Elizabeth. After the first official encounter between the two Sovereigns (State Visit 1982), it became 'Madam, my Sister' between the both lady Sovereigns, despite the fact that both ladies know each other their life long.

Hi Henri M. and everyone else

Just a quick note. I think that you might have used the dutch translation of nicht/neef which in dutch means cousin as well as niece or nephew. Just to clarify things for our non dutch speakers, I wanted to point that out (My husband is dutch and I speak the language fluently.) The dutch use the same word for cousin as well as nephew and neice, and in English, we use seperate terms. So in fact, the children of you sibling (brother/sister) are your nieces and nephews, and the relevant children of siblings are cousins. So in this matter, I believe that QEII would say to Willem-Alexander, Sir, my dear nephew.

I hope that clears things up for our other members, although, in dutch your translation was perfectly correct. And thank you for the information.

Empress said:
Hi Henri M. and everyone else

Just a quick note. I think that you might have used the dutch translation of nicht/neef which in dutch means cousin as well as niece or nephew. Just to clarify things for our non dutch speakers, I wanted to point that out (My husband is dutch and I speak the language fluently.) The dutch use the same word for cousin as well as nephew and neice, and in English, we use seperate terms. So in fact, the children of you sibling (brother/sister) are your nieces and nephews, and the relevant children of siblings are cousins. So in this matter, I believe that QEII would say to Willem-Alexander, Sir, my dear nephew.

Thank you for that explanation, I did wonder why she was calling him her cousin! :flowers:

lucien said:
Where were you?We have been on the look-out all the time from 15.00PM till after the arrival,and from after the hot coco and port & bitterballen to the departure?We,not as in pluralis majestatis,but in fellow posters on all the Boards/Forums,really sorry you've missed it obviously.:bang:

Royal Images

Courtesy Royalimages.

Well, if I knew there would be bitterballen I would have been on the look out all afternoon to! But I didn't get the time sheduele, so i didn't have a clue where to go at what time. Luckily on my way to the gym I decided to take a look at the Amsterdam Historical Museum, judging from the cars they were about to leave, I waited a few minutes and I finally saw them! I felt some sort of strange thrill and the two ladies are much smaller then I imagined.

Reverend Crowdie of the english church in Amsterdam was interviewed last night on 'Pauw en Witteman'. He apparently stayed at Balmoral this summer for a few days as guests of HM. He also made a sermon in church that sunday. According to him HM told a lot about what she saw of the world and she was very relaxed. It was all rather informal.

Thanks everyone for the pictures, both Queens look lovely. I especally like the color of QEII hat and coat. She should wear that color more often, she looks truely beautiful. It is great to see such affection between the two Queens.

I think it is very nice that Queen Beatrix went to the airport to meet her. You don't see that often. I also think it is a bit akward how Philip is walking a pace behind the two women. At that age one would think you could dispense with a bit of formality.

This has truly been a private visit. No additional news or pictures?

Not completely private indeed, but Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke had a private lunch at Palace Huis ten Bosch with the Queen, the Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima.

Back
Top Bottom