Prinsjesdag 2003-2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Henri M. said:

Thank you Henri.

So nice to see that pics again... although the headpiece was worn before I believe the smile and shine on Princess Máxima's face make it look somehow a new trend.

I honestly prefer the headpiece to an hat; I don't seem capable of appreciate hats with long dresses; I feel like the hat stops the ensemble look at the neck making the Lady look a shadow of the coulour chosen; the headpiece somehow enlightens the overall look adding a face to it :lol:.

That's why I really apreciated Laurentien's choice too, a shade of blue that makes her look fresh, young and light... even laurentienesque (Henri dixit ;)) I do apreciate her effort to look herself in a more sober way. I would give her an 8 out of 10.

I'm sorry to hear about Princess Margriet but you can be right she has a body language of discomfort on pictures. Let's hope is nothing serious!

Thank you also for your insights on the Queen's words in this occasion; Netherlands here I go :lol:.

Regards,
mtbcm :)

Henri M. said:
:flowers: I thought the Queen was sparkling. On TV her gold gown did look like there were numerous little glimmers in the texture, a detail which went totally lost in pictures.

The Queen did fit very well with the modernized Ridderzaal, her colour coming back in the tapestries and the carpets, with this probably linking to the glorious come-back of a medieaval festive Hall.

Princess Máxima was as classy as ever.

Princess Laurentien was as laurentienesque as ever.

Princess Margriet was as boring as ever.

I think posters are forgetting how disastrous the Queen and the Princesses did look in the Seventies, with those strange and ugly coloured kaftans and turban-style 'hats' and the parliamentarians just wearing smelly cheap nylon suits and no lady to be spotted with a hat. Year after year Prinsjesdag is improving. I have liked it very much.

Leve de Koningin! (Hoera! Hoera! Hoera!):flowers:

true, the queen was radiant and looked cheerfull indeed. But the dress was just a horror. It didn´t have any figure in it at all, seemed like a huge bag. But dispite the bag and the silly hat the Queen did look regal.

Laurentiens outfit would have been great if she lost the corset IMO. But of course she has to add some of her characteristic excentricities (as I said before, it starts to tire and annoy me).

I do not think Margriet looks that boring actually. Her style is less extrovert then that of her sister. She usually dresses a bit more discrete but still elegant IMO. Especially the green outfit of last year was great. This one was indeed a bit predictable, but still elegant.

Though I agree the adience was better dressed then in the 70-ties I still would prefer a bit more decorum. Many ladies had the most rediculous creations and some gentlemen were tie-less, wore coloured suits etc.

Thank you to all for the pictures.

It's old saying 'Number one can wear wat ever she wants, but if you are number two you have to wear something nice'.

The queen is 'number one' for me, so wat ever she wears, it's OK for me, she doesn't need to prove anything, obviously she consider things (like Ridderzaal ect..) when she chouse the outfit .

Maxima's outfit was her second best Prinsjesdag outfit IMO after the red one (her first prinsjesdag ). I really enjoy to look at her.

I have seen beter (and much worse) days of Laurentien. I think she is stop triying even to look OK, she was so invisible to me.

And i think Margriet have some troubles to standing on the balcony.

I allow myself to reply without having a degree in the subject “The history of the Prinsjesdag from 1814 till today”. And yes I’m only focussing on the outfits.

Beatrix: Nice idea to choose a costume that reflects the beauty of the Ridderzaal – but does this necessarily has to look like wearing a curtain with the fitting lamp shade? (This is not meant as lèse majesté, it’s just a fashion statement)
Maxima: Nice outfit, I even like the flower – but can’t she find another designer than Edouard Vermeulen from Natan? All this similar outfits of the Benelux royals are becoming boring. And Maxima´s outfit yesterday reminded me of the Natan robe Mathilde has worn in Luxembourg (=same skirt, a belt to mark the waistline + the black and white theme) It’s always the variation of the same look, maybe this guy is overcharged with dressing Maxima, Mathilde, Maria Theresa and Claire individually?
Laurentien: The colour looks fantastic on her, the hat is nice and she does not even look jet-lagged – but you are right there is one piece of clothing missing whilst another piece of clothing is in the wrong place.
Margriet: hmmm, nice colour, don’t like the skirt and the hat could have been bigger

So my conclusion: Willem Alexander was the best dressed person out there. And with the exception of Margriet they all looked like having a jolly good time!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if anyone notice but Princess Margriet did not look happy on the balcony, she did not wave like she often does and while others around her do but she just looked even not smiled.

Last edited:
HMQueenElizabethII said:
I'm not sure if anyone notice but Princess Margriet did not look happy on the balcony, she did not wave like she often does and while others around her do but she just looked even not smiled.

Her brother-in-law just died of cancer last week. Perhaps she was still grieving for him or dealing with his death.

Princess Margriet has also had a rough year with hurting her back and the like, so perhaps it's all taking its toll on her now.

Alexandria said:
Her brother-in-law just died of cancer last week. Perhaps she was still grieving for him or dealing with his death.

Princess Margriet has also had a rough year with hurting her back and the like, so perhaps it's all taking its toll on her now.

I was thinking the same..

Prinsjesdag vs the British State Opening of Parliament

Her_Majesty said:
I noticed that, too, when I created a collage of Queen Beatrix Prinsjesdag Hats! :lol: It's so nice to see the Dutch royal Ladies wearing those Flower"hats"!

Here is the "Look-back" on Beatrix's Prinjesdag Hats. ;)

picture sources: ANP

It is true that Queen Beatrix wearing her full Crown Parure with the awesome diamond rockers, dressed in her royal ermine mantle and the ladies in diademes would probably be more glitzy.

There are two practical things which does not fit in this:
- the event starts around 12.00 o'clock in the morning, etiquette prescribes that diademes are only to be worn at events in the evening;
- this year's Prinsjesdag was a joyful one with a surplus on the Budget and sunny economic developments but it is not handy to propose cuts on wages, allowances and pensions when dressed in the most expensive jewelry.

Another thing is that the Dutch Prinsjesdag looks different every year. The colours of the robes, the hats of the ladies in the Ridderzaal. In the United Kingdom year after year it looks the same: the Queen with the same crown or the same State Diadem and since she no longer is accompanied by members of Her House, it even has become sort of boring indeed because no longer a Diana, Sophie, Anne or Camilla to comment on.

But let us all agree: happy is the nation which cherishes its traditions and keeps it lively. It could have been worse (Denmark, Sweden) or even total absent (Belgium).

I had never seen Maxima looking so elegant and regal :clap: and love the flowers in her hair!!

I loved Maxima's outfit, I thought the jewels, the flower in her hair, the dress, evrything was perfect. Laurentien though, I think the dress would have been better if that corrset was gone. I think she missed again.

Queen Beatrix always looks so regal but also friendly. Maxima was as usual stunning, the hair beautifully dressed. :flowers:

Henri M. said:
Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands and prof. mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven were in jacquet (formal civil daywear). A sash is never worn with a jacquet, only with uniform or in 'white tie'. Instead the gentlemen wore a bâton (rosette) in their lapels. Because the ladies were in long daywear (the event was around Noon), they can wear sashes. The Prince of Orange wore an uniform and they wore a sash as well.

Orders:

The nassaublue with orange sash of a Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Netherlands Lion, the hightest civil Order.
HM The Queen
HRH The Prince of Orange
HRH Princess Máxima

The orange sash of a Knight Grand Cross in the House Order of Orange
HRH Princess Laurentien

The bâton of a Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Netherlands Lion
HRH Prince Constantijn
Prof. mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven

Spouses of 'lower' Princes have the House Order of Orange. For decades Prof. mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven had the same Order as Princess Laurentien. But out of benevolence for his almost 40 years loyal service to the Crown, he was bestowed the highest civil Order too.

Thank you, that was quite interesting!

Princess Margriet also wore the Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Netherlands Lion, didn't she?

I think Crown Princess looked the most stunning. Her outfit and hat was absolutely lovely.

Stellad

The picture is gorgeous!

Maxima looks great!

thank you for the info。

A better view of Máxima's head piece:
foto20.jpg

(patrick van katwijk)

Last edited:
I wonder if any of the outfits worn by the women for Prinsjesdag have ever been repeated and worn at other occasions? I don't remember the lovely red outfit (also with a flower in her hair) that Maxima wore a few years ago and the white and green floral motif outfit Laurentien wore last year ever being worn at other occasions. Are these outfits considered "sacred" or something and as such are never repeated like their other outfits?

Alexandria said:
I wonder if any of the outfits worn by the women for Prinsjesdag have ever been repeated and worn at other occasions? I don't remember the lovely red outfit (also with a flower in her hair) that Maxima wore a few years ago and the white and green floral motif outfit Laurentien wore last year ever being worn at other occasions. Are these outfits considered "sacred" or something and as such are never repeated like their other outfits?
Princess Máxima recycled the orange jacket, the fitting hat and shoes she wore on Prinsjesdag 2005 for King Carl-Gustav's 60's birthday.

another example:

Prinsjesdag 2005 and celebration wedding Carl Gustav and Silvia of Sweden. THe orange clothes and hat.

and also the fabric of the coat of Máxima at prinsjesdag is the same fabric as her wedding dress.

A few State Carriages for years out of order

According to the 'Dagblad voor het Noorden', the Golden State Carriage and the Gala Glass Berline will undergo a thorough restoration. Amongst others the gold will be renewed, the interior will be cleaned and repaired, the technical installations will be modernized, etc.

This will last a few years, this means that in the coming years The Queen will go to the Ridderzaal in the Glass State Carriage
and the other royals in normal gala berlines.
http://members.chello.nl/~b.michon/Royal/aaa/images/koets4.jpg

Nice post Henri... although I had already mentioned the news on this board and in this same Thread on Tuesday :ermm: ..., but fashion probably is more important ;)

However I noticed you assume that they will use the old Glass Coach instead.., I haven't read it anywhere. I think they will plan the restoration in a way that enables Beatrix to use it on Prinsjedag.
Although I must admit that I would love to see the Glass Coach in action again. The design of the Golden Coach is so horrible and very kitsch.
One would almost say; what a pity the Germans didn't steal it, But I guess they didn't like it either :)

xxPatrickxx said:
and also the fabric of the coat of Máxima at prinsjesdag is the same fabric as her wedding dress.

Is the white jacket Valentino? I thought it's Natan.

Alexandria said:
......and the white and green floral motif outfit Laurentien wore last year ever being worn at other occasions. ....?

Laurentien never wears her outfits twice..at least I never see that happend...For most of her clothes i can't blame her:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Now that I see Maxima's headpiece from the back, I like it a little better than I did before, however I still think only one flower would have been enough.

Mandrake said:
Nice post Henri... although I had already mentioned the news on this board and in this same Thread on Tuesday :ermm: ..., but fashion probably is more important ;)

However I noticed you assume that they will use the old Glass Coach instead.., I haven't read it anywhere. I think they will plan the restoration in a way that enables Beatrix to use it on Prinsjedag.
Although I must admit that I would love to see the Glass Coach in action again. The design of the Golden Coach is so horrible and very kitsch.
One would almost say; what a pity the Germans didn't steal it, But I guess they didn't like it either :)

I haven´t read anything about using the glass coach either. One would expect that the restauration of a coach wouldn´t take more time then a year though, the thing isn t that huge.

How kitch the golden carriage might be, I have become rather attached to it and as it is the grandest coach it is the one they should use on occassions like this. But they could use the pretty glass coach more often as well (and the creme caleche!), for example when Amalia was christened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom