Prinsjesdag 2003-2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:dutchstandard:

Prinsjesdag....and its raining cats and dogs.Do hope that the "traditional" Orange sun,Oranjezonnetje,will pop out around noon till 3 at least.People already start lining up along the route since early this morning and tens of thousands more are expected.....
:crown6:

Prinsjesdag....and its raining cats and dogs.Do hope that the "traditional" Orange sun,Oranjezonnetje,will pop out around noon till 3 at least.People already start lining up along the route since early this morning and tens of thousands more are expected.....
:crown6:

What time is it there lucien? And what time does the event start?

What time is it there lucien? And what time does the event start?

Good morning!
It is 08.55 AM now,and the broadcast from The Hague will start at 12.30PM.
HM,TRH and dear Pieter will leave for Parliament from Noordeinde Palace at 13.00PM.

Oh that means I wont be able to see pictures until tomorrow, by the time they're up tonight it'll be too late. Oh well.

I hope the weather does fine up - I can't remember seeing any obviously raining Prindjesdag pictures before, but I could be wrong of course. Still it'd be a shame.

What kind of a turnout is there normally? Never having set foot in a country with a monarchy I have no idea...

Oh that means I wont be able to see pictures until tomorrow, by the time they're up tonight it'll be too late. Oh well.

I hope the weather does fine up - I can't remember seeing any obviously raining Prindjesdag pictures before, but I could be wrong of course. Still it'd be a shame.

What kind of a turnout is there normally? Never having set foot in a country with a monarchy I have no idea...

Usually there is a huge turnout,really huge,packed with spectators along the entire route,come rain come shine,it is a typical festive day in The Hague.Oh it has,litterally,rained on the parade before,but these were quite rare and never during the procession from/to Palace/Parliament,hence the reference to the "magical" Orange sun that tradionally always pops out on haydays of the RF.

Nighty night!There'll be loads of pics,and comments no doubt...:whistling:...once you wake up:flowers:

For those interested in the traditions and history of Prinsjesdag, go to this wikipedia page, they explain it rather well.

Some info from that article:

In the 18th Century, Prinsjesdag was one of the country's most popular public holidays and was originally used to celebrate the 8 March birthday of Prince William V.
Between 1780 and 1797 — known as the Patriot era — the day was used for demonstrations of loyalty to the House of Orange, which is probably why the name was chosen in the 19th Century for the ceremonial opening of parliament.
Historically, the constitution has stated that the opening of parliament should take place on a fixed date and in line with a constitutional revision in 1887, it was decided to hold the opening on the third Tuesday in September.
The opening of parliament was originally held on the first Monday in November in the first half of the 19th Century and then the third Monday in October, but when a constitutional revision introduced annual budgets in 1848, more time was needed to debate the budget, so the date was brought forward a month.
Monday was considered inappropriate, because many parliamentarians in distant parts of the country needed to leave their homes on Sunday to make it to The Hague in time, so the 1887 revision moved Prinsjesdag to Tuesday.
Throughout the years 1815 to 1904, the speech from the throne was given in the assembly room of the Lower House of Parliament, or Tweede Kamer, but was moved back to the Hall of Knights after an extensive restoration of the building at the start of the 20th Century.
The pomp and ceremony is still very much part of the day.

Some extra news, Femke Halsema, member of the Green-Left party refused to wear the hat that Greenpaece offeren her. It was made of coals and a small chimney. When her daughter started laughing and said how rediculous she looked she decided that a less flamboyant hat might be a better option. Greenpeace is not amused though. Take a look at the hat here, the lady is the woman who made it, she is anrgy too.

In the mean time text of HM speech leaked out a few days ago. RTL news had the scoop, so everybody already knows the cabinets plans for next year. This leaking must have caused some thunders at Huis ten Bosch.

It seems to be dry in The Hague, so we probably won´t see scenes like this.

:dutchstandard:...:dutchflag:...:dutchstandard:...:dutchflag:...:dutchstandard:...:dutchflag:...:dutchstandard:...:dutchflag:...:dutchstandard:...:dutchflag:

I don't like the gown of the Queen.

I love the outfit of Máxima, I'm just not sure what to think about her hat, at the first look I would hate it, but after looking closely, I kind of like it.

I love the dress of Laurentien (except maybe the blue thing on top)

Magriet looks great.

:D

my first impressions:

Beatrix: the dress reminds me a lot of last year's outfit...
Laurentien: Great outfit! She looked really stylish! surprising is a positive way!
Maxima: nice outfit, but awful hat, imo.. (that's only my first impression... maybe it will change after seeing it on more pictures and on close-ups)
Margriet: lovely.. as usual. ;)

Actually inside the outfit of HM looked good enough, but outside when the wind played with it it became very clear that it is far to wide and had no shape at all. The fabric however was exquisite. The Queen was wearing ruby earrings and bracelet of the mellerio parure. The ruby bow brooch was worn previously by Maxima in Turkey (the outfit with the turban).

Princess Margriet clearly still has some difficulties in walking, a special stairs had to be used to let her step into and out of the carriage. The Queen also used that stairs. I hope they will use the stairs for Martine van Loon Labouchere next year too, she almost stumbled when getting in and getting out of her carriage. luckily the grand master was there to give her some support.

The carriage look very well btw, they seem to be in an excellent state and somebody spent an entire day or more polishing them, I think ;). So many militairy things, fanfare´s, ceremonial tenues etc. It always surprises me in this country.

I can´t place the brooch Maxima is wearing btw, I don´t think I ever saw it before. Her outfit looked good enough, though I think her hat will face some critisism here. There were some glitters in the outfit, and in the hat too, I actually liked it. I would like to see the dress without a jacket, it must make a nice gala dress.

Laurentien looked very subdued and elegant actually, one of her best outfits. She wears the sapphire and diamond brooch that the Zorreguieta family gave to the Queen.

Thanks J for the pic! :flowers:

Early impressions indicate that Laurentien is looking the best (unsure about her headgear though :ermm:). Queen Bea's gown looks kind of medieval. From this angle, Máxima is clearly wearing a bird's nest on her head! :eek: And Margriet looks to have feathers sticking out of something...

Early impressions indicate that Laurentien is looking the best (unsure about her headgear though :ermm:). Queen Bea's gown looks kind of medieval. From this angle, Máxima is clearly wearing a bird's nest on her head! :eek: And Margriet looks to have feathers sticking out of something...

Your welcome J(ess) :flowers:

Thanks for the first pictures everyone. Haha, the Queens gown does look kind of medieval JessRulz, maybe it will look different from a different angle. :) I love Maxima's hair, looks very beautiful. What do you guys think, will this be the Queens last year as Queen Beatrix, and will we have a King reading and presiding prinsjesdag?

This was the dress HM wore the first day of the state visit of Luxembourg and this the one of the second day. Though her Prinsjesdag outfit resembles the first one, the medieval tunic style and rich fabric, they are not the same I think.

I don´t think this will be her last year, though the special stairs for her and her sister is a reminder that she is aging indeed. I think she will give her son more time to enjoy his family. The tv report said that it wasn´t announced how and if HM will celebrate her 70th birthday in January btw. I don´t expect a national celebration anymore as the preparations for that should have started by now.

---

Not too many crazy hats this year btw, only the woman from SP who usually uses her headgear for some form of protest, this time to give attention to homeless people. The political debates have already started on television. The next days the cabinet will have to defend its budget in the second chamber of parliament.

--

And now I have to run, abs attack class is starting in 15 minutes! ;)

My opinion;

Margriet : Very Lady Marjorie and I quite like the outfit though I'm not sure if it's just a little too Edwardian.

Maxima : Love the whole outfit. Fabienne has come up trumps again.

Beatrix : Dull in colour, fab in shape. I was expecting something a little more from HM but oh well, there's always next year.

The rather big hat of Maxima reminds me of something African/Caribbian women wear when they go to a church in Amsterdam.

Is Maxima's hat a creation of Fabienne Delvigne? And does someone knows the designer of the dress?

Laurentien: I love the black dress but not verry the "purple vest" she wore and her hat
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
Maxima: lovely hat, I like the jacket but not so much the dress
Beatrix: I am not a huge fan of her outfitt
Margriet: lovely outfitt, did not liked the hat verry much

Laurentien's dress,it is not purple but Royal blue,I like it,as i do the saphire ear jewellery.

And yes,it is/was Fabienne Delvigne.

Damn i miss it. i was working :(

ps. oh my god, the dress of Laurentien is aweful

I just don't like Máxima's hat.. it looks pretty when you see it in profile pictures, but it looks weird when you look straight on it... :ermm:
The jacket she wore over the dress was recycled. she already wore it in 2003 when she announced her first pregnancy.

and:
I don't think Laurentien looked "awful". I think she looked really pretty this time!

Last edited:
I agree, HM. I think Laurentien looked great this year, we have seen far worse from her during Prinsjedag. She actually looked quite toned down this time and I really liked it. :flowers:

Máxima's outfit was a bit boring, imo. The jacket was too casual to go with the dress (which seems very beautiful, btw). And the hat isn't really my cup of tea either, though it blends in wonderfully with her nice hairdo.

I guess I never get used to the Queen's style, though. She looks very 'Bea' and I applaud her for that, but she can do so much better, imo. Margriet looked nice too. I'm not too sure about the colour of the top, but Margriet can get away with almost everything.

I just don't like Máxima's hat.. it looks pretty when you see it in profile pictures, but it looks weird when you look straight on it... :ermm:
The jacket she wore over the dress was recycled. she already wore it in 2003 when she announced her first pregnancy.

and:
I don't think Laurentien looked "awful". I think she looked really pretty this time!

You right, awful is the wrong word...
But i still think Maxima wore the better dress

I like all outfits! The Queen, Maxima, Laurentien, and Margriet all looked wonderful. I have no real complaints about anyones attire for today. I think though Margriet might just take home the best dressed award, in my opinion. It was a great combo of colors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom