Pre-Inauguration Dinner at the Rijksmuseum: April 29, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we not going to agree. But if she was attending a friends wedding then that date would have been fixed for quite a while. She wont be the first royal to put a friends wedding first (think Prince William).

As an aside, posters on this site were musing that Prince Albert wouldn't attend because he is a reigning sovereign. So maybe its Caroline that couldn't make it, and Albert stepped in a short notice.

Just a thought!

So but "has" to "duty"? Was this all written in her marriage vows or something? Your argument about royals not attending weddings doesn't wash when we see the British Royal Family knock every wedding they can on the head and attend ordinary engagements on the same day.

I absolutely agree with you, I think it's disgraceful how my Royal Family behave when it comes to foreign events. This time, they got it right but quite often they fail to send proper representation. I thought the lack of a British representative at Princess Lilian's funeral earlier this year was appalling. But when Charlene married Albert, she knew she wasn't becoming Mrs Grimaldi didn't she? Of course it's her duty to attend this sort of event, what else is her role? I'm not saying she shouldn't visit her charitable ventures but it's a poor show when something that clearly could have been re-arranged wasn't and I suspect it was to fit in a jolly outing a wedding rather than being present in Amsterdam.

Cepe raises a good point too, what on earth is Albert doing there anyway?

Sorry but "has" to "duty"? Was this all written in her marriage vows or something? Your argument about royals not attending weddings doesn't wash when we see the British Royal Family knock every wedding they can on the head and attend ordinary engagements on the same day.
Wedding is different.
Coronation/Enthronement is different..
You can noway compare those two..There is no rule-book or duty-manual for Royals, Lumutqueen.
Being a consort of a Principality's monarch, by common sense, if not by anything else, you are expected to accompany your husband at enthronement of a friendly nation's monarch..

I wonder where Willem-Alexander's cousins are? It is a little bit strange for me to see them not attending!

I absolutely agree with you, I think it's disgraceful how my Royal Family behave when it comes to foreign events. This time, they got it right but quite often they fail to send proper representation. I thought the lack of a British representative at Princess Lilian's funeral earlier this year was appalling. But when Charlene married Albert, she knew she wasn't becoming Mrs Grimaldi didn't she? Of course it's her duty to attend this sort of event, what else is her role? I'm not saying she shouldn't visit her charitable ventures but it's a poor show when something that clearly could have been re-arranged wasn't and I suspect it was to fit in a jolly outing a wedding rather than being present in Amsterdam.

Cepe raises a good point too, what on earth is Albert doing there anyway?

Albert is more than likely there because he is closer to the CPs than Caroline, or she just couldn't be bothered to attend and Albert stepped in last minute. Which would also explain why Charlene isn't there.

Not everything can be clearly re-arranged, not a friends wedding. Who has a wedding on a Tuesday? Who has a inauguration on a Tuesday? :whistling:

Tears came to my eyes when I first saw the Big Three! Then they stayed there because I was blinded by Max's necklace - go girl!
Also, Camilla, Letitiza, Mathilde channeling princess Grace, Mary, Sophie of Lichtenstien, I have never seen them better.
Victoria is beautiful but the dress doesn't suit her, Poor HGD Stephanie trying too hard.

Sorry but "has" to "duty"? Was this all written in her marriage vows or something? Your argument about royals not attending weddings doesn't wash when we see the British Royal Family knock every wedding they can on the head and attend ordinary engagements on the same day.
The British royals love their Persian Gulf tours though. If Princess Charlene did not wish to attend the event, there must be reasons for that.

Is there a picture of Princess Masako?

I did'nt like Letizia's dress, she'so shapeless and fragile looking.Nice hairdo tho.She'll be wearing Felipe Varela creations during her Dutch visit.

I do doubt how genuine Charlene's excuse is to be honest. Firstly, a wedding on a Tuesday is very unusual. But back to that in a second. Secondly, it's her foundation. She can visit any time she likes and I doubt this was booked in before January of this year. Now, as close as she might be to her friend, if she has to represent Monaco with her husband in a European nation then it's her duty to be there with him, not at a wedding. Crown Princess Masako suffers with severe anxiety and even she made the effort to go (even if she didn't attend tonight, I'm sure we'll see her tomorrow). My point is, there's degrees in cancelling engagements. Can you imagine Queen Beatrix not going to Crown Princess Victoria's wedding because she had to visit a Dutch charity for an hour or two? Clearly Charlene missed a trick to get an education in how real royalty behaves.

I would say Albert II is the one who should not be there since he is a head of state. Beatrix skipped out on the actual wedding of Felipe and Letizia because she wanted to attend the wedding of her godchild in England on the same day but no one seemed to fussed about it. Monaco is however represented, rightly or wrongly by its head os state so I doubt the Dutch are too fussed about his wife being elsewhere.

we not going to agree. But if she was attending a friends wedding then that date would have been fixed for quite a while. She wont be the first royal to put a friends wedding first (think Prince William).

As an aside, posters on this site were musing that Prince Albert wouldn't attend because he is a reigning sovereign. So maybe its Caroline that couldn't make it, and Albert stepped in a short notice.

Just a thought!

Seniors never step in for lower ones.
If Caroline was not able to attend, the next person, her sister (if her sons are young/non-working) will attend.
So Albert was supposed to attend, and he attended.
And we can discuss somewhere else in detail whether a monarch of a principality can attend the coronation of a monarch (of a nation)..
I wanna check out some precedences..

I did'nt like Letizia's dress, she'so shapeless and fragile looking.Nice hairdo tho.She'll be wearing Felipe Varela creations during her Dutch visit.

Masako didn't attend the party.

Albert is more than likely there because he is closer to the CPs than Caroline, or she just couldn't be bothered to attend and Albert stepped in last minute. Which would also explain why Charlene isn't there.

Not everything can be clearly re-arranged, not a friends wedding. Who has a wedding on a Tuesday? Who has a inauguration on a Tuesday? :whistling:

The Netherlands. On Queen's Day. ;)

You raise a good point though Lumutqueen - why couldn't Caroline attend? It's all a bit of a show up for the Monagasques if you ask me. Maybe Charlene is embarrassed?

The British royals love their Persian Gulf tours though.

I think you'll find they visit the Persian Gulf as often as they visit every other country they can. What this has to do with the Dutch Inauguration, i'm not sure? :whistling:

It appears that Crown Prince Naruhito attended the event solo.

Lets get back to this event

Princess Masako didn't attend this dinner because it is still hard for her to attend all of this festivities in a row. She will go to the investiture tomorow, as she's in the guestlist.

I loved to see a tiara event, its always welcome :D
About tomorow, what's the dresscode? Long dresses and hats?

The jewelry on Maxima... WOW!!! Everyone looks amazing tonight.

Seniors never step in for lower ones.
If Caroline was not able to attend, the next person, her sister (if her sons are young/non-working) will attend.
So Albert was supposed to attend, and he attended.
And we can discuss somewhere else in detail whether a monarch of a principality can attend the coronation of a monarch (of a nation)..
I wanna check out some precedences..

This is NOT a thread ont the why or not or where abouts of a lady from monaco as you correctly state vkrish...It is part of the Dutch Inauguration threads and one most certainly wishes to keep it that way.:)

The jewelry on Maxima... WOW!!! Everyone looks amazing tonight.

The pendant is the center stone of the brooch that was given to Queen Emma by the Dutch people in 1879.Not the Stuart...Gues we...I anticipated that stone so much I took anything larger then a regular pebble for the Stuart diamond...grin...:ohmy:...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that Crown Prince Naruhito attended the event solo.

I'm sure that Masako will make an appearance tomorrow. Maybe announcing her attendance made us expect too much? It's only really important that she's there tomorrow for the ceremony after all.

I'm sure that Masako will make an appearance tomorrow. Maybe announcing her attendance made us expect too much? It's only really important that she's there tomorrow for the ceremony after all.

You are right. We hoped that Crown Princess Masako would feel well to attend all the events.

Last edited:

Yes Crown Princess Masako is expected to be in attendance in the church tomorrow afternoon!:flowers:

CP Masako came to attend the Inauguration and a reception. According to the news thread in these forums, other events would depend on her doctors' opinion. Given her health, I expect that her doctor would want her to rest after the lengthy flight so that she'll be able to attend the Inauguration tomorrow.:flowers:

This is NOT a thread ont the why or not or where abouts of a lady from monaco as you correctly state vkrish...It is part of the Dutch Inauguration threads and one most certainly wishes to keep it that way.:)

My thoughts exactly.I am busy admiring Maxima's fabulous nevklace.

Thank you for the answer ladies.I guess I am just too excited to see Princess Masako.I admire her for taking the long flight to be here.

Last edited:
whether a monarch of a principality can attend the coronation of a monarch (of a nation)...

Well they obviously can, because Albert will attend the inauguration of Prince Wilhelm-Alexander tomorrow. (This is quite on topic by the way) :flowers:

Got to admit my favourite jewel of the night has to be Crown Princess Sarah's tiara, that was stunning. The way she wore it on top of her head scraf was incredible.

Back
Top Bottom