The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-31-2020, 12:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Maybe. But i think the one or other from the dutch people will ask why they see the royal chidlren in their neighbour country who oughly about the same age more then the royal chidren in their own country. And it that regard it helps probabvly that a big part of the Newspaper/TV-Programms from Flanders are in their own langauge and can probably also be seen in the Netherlands.
Actually they are not at all that invisible. Every year all three girls go out and about into the country on King's Day. This year they have had virtual meet and greets, live on TV and online, with the most populair Dutch YouTuber. We have seen them during the Abdication, the Investiture, the King's parade (Amalia was 9) around the King's 50th birthday(Amalia was 13). Since she was a baby there are photoshoots in winter and summer. There are official portraits.

She turned 17 this month and her parents' focus is entirely on her education. After her 18th we will see Amalia at Prinsjesdag (no equivalent in Belgium), in the Council of State (no such equivalent for royals in Belgium) and at the National Remembrance (no such equivalent in Belgium either as only the King attends this).

So we soon will see Amalia developing a completely own agenda. Like we saw with Willem-Alexander and Beatrix in their own young years.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Maybe. But i think the one or other from the dutch people will ask why they see the royal chidlren in their neighbour country who oughly about the same age more then the royal chidren in their own country. And it that regard it helps probabvly that a big part of the Newspaper/TV-Programms from Flanders are in their own langauge and can probably also be seen in the Netherlands.
No, not really... I think very few Dutch people know about a 'prince Emmanuel of Belgium' for example. So, it seems more of a problem in your imagination than in reality. Of course, the media would be happy if we saw them (even) more but as Duc_et_Pair pointed out, we do see them several times a year; and as the royal couple has been consistent in their approach - they've clearly set the expectation from the start, so nobody seems to expect anything different.

Honestly, I think the Dutch would feel sorry for the princesses if they had to sit through long classical concerts for example; they much rather see them enjoy a (horse) show jumping event with their grandmother if they happen to join her because they themselves are interested; or at the various sporting events that their parents have taken them to over the years enthusiastically supporting the various national teams or athletes.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:21 PM
Royal Highness

I agree with you, Stefan. In my opinion, Catharina-Amalia should have done a couple of public appearances by now. I do not necessarily agree with her parents' approach.

As for the King's popularity: yes, the Greek holiday was a mistake, yes, he apologized and yes, IMO he (they) should have known better.
Sometimes I think the Van Lippe Biesterfeld genes from his grandfather Prince Bernhard (as in kind of naughty/haughty behaviour) pop up too much.