Official Visit from the King & Queen of Jordan to The Netherlands: March 20-21, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Official Visit from the King & Queen of Jordan to The Netherlands: March 20-21, 2018

Upon the invitation of King Willem-Alexander,
TM King Abdullah II and Queen Rania of Jordan
will pay a state visit to The Netherlands in November 2017

Press Release

:dutchflag::jordanflag::dutchflag::jordanflag:

What a nice surprise. The king and queen's last state visit was only in 2006. I suspect that the Dutch RF wil turn out in full force for the banquet.

Last edited:
Really interesting that there is a second State Visit after such a short time. I would have expected that King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima would pay a State visit to Jordan instead. As far as i can remmbert here wasn't a dutch State Visit to Jordan since 2006.

:previous:

Queen Beatrix' paid a state visit in 1993. That was the first and last state visit to Jordan by a Dutch monarch. A few years the Dutch state opened an embassy in Amman; which was pushed for by Queen Beatrix and went against advisory reports on the matter. It created a minor scandal in the press when the minister of Foreign Affairs forgot to watch his words on the matter.

In 2006 the banquet was also attended by Prince Hamzah bin Hussein, his now ex-wife Pss Noor bint Asem and by Pss Badiya bint Hassan and her husband. The return event was attended by lots of van Vollenhovens too (save Maurits and Marilene), so hopefully they will turn out this time as well.

Last edited:
i thought the state visits were typically made from the 'youngest reigning monarch' to the oldest. so the one who has been in the throne the least would visit the one who has been in the throne for more years. isn't this right?

Petra stateement:
King, Queen to visit Netherlands in November

Amman, Sept. 5 (Petra) -- His Majesty King Abdullah II and Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah are scheduled to pay a state visit to the Netherlands in November at the invitation of Dutch King Willem-Alexander

State Visit from the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan

:dutchstandard::jordanstandard:

The incoming State Visit by TM King Abdullah II bin al Hussein and Queen Rania al Abdullah from Jordan that was due to take place in november 2017,is postponed to a later,yet unknown,date according to the Dutch Royal House.

The date is fixed on March 19th:
@RHCJO: Their Majesties King Abdullah II and Queen Rania Al Abdullah are scheduled to start an official visit to the #Netherlands on 19 March, at the invitation of King Willem-Alexander #Jordan

There is no official reception and a State Banquet in the Royal Palace Amsterdam. No wreath laying ceremony, etc. Instead almost the whole agenda of the King of Jordan will take place in The Hague.

The Dutch King offers a Banquet at Noordeinde Palace. It remains to see if it will be one in white tie and grand jewels or a lower dresscode. If it will be an elaborate banquet in the Grand Ballroom, or a more intimate one in the Gallery Chamber.

The most notable difference with a State Visit is that for an Official Visit the Royal Palace Amsterdam is not closed for two weeks to prepare it. That Amsterdam or The Hague is not decorated with Dutch and Jordan flags, that the ceremonial and protocol is a step lower, as well the deployment of armed forces etc. That is the main difference with State Visits.

Last edited:
A pity that the visit was downgraded to an official one. That means the king and queen will stay in the dreary Noordeinde instead of Dam Palace in Amsterdam.

On the 21st the president of France will also visit the king and prime minister in The Hague, but I suppose the official visit will end during lunch time.

A pity that the visit was downgraded to an official one. That means the king and queen will stay in the dreary Noordeinde instead of Dam Palace in Amsterdam.
What is the reason it was downgraded ?

On the 21st the president of France will also visit the king and prime minister in The Hague, but I suppose the official visit will end during lunch time.

Dreary Noordeinde?
It is more a habitable palace than that giant grey block on the busiest spot of overcrowded Amsterdam.

What is the reason it was downgraded ?

My guess: the original State Visit, with full pompa, military ceremonial and the Royal Palace closed off for two weeks, security zones in the capital, redirected traffic, flags and decorations in the streets, snipers on the rooftops, etc. was delayed at the request of the Jordans.

A new State Visit with the whole machinery rolled out was maybe too much asked and a less elaborate Official Visit was agreed. That is my idea.

Indeed. Most state visits are planned well in advance. Due to the requested delay by the Jordanian side a visit could be sqeezed in but not the full-blown state visit.

Indeed. Most state visits are planned well in advance. Due to the requested delay by the Jordanian side a visit could be sqeezed in but not the full-blown state visit.

HM King Willem Alexander will also receive HE President Macron of France as well as the
Dutch paralympic team at Noordeinde Palace today.Busy schedule,and a bit of France
meets Jordan at the Palace ahead of the EU Summit in Brussels tomorrow and Thursday,
along the sides in line with the business trip this Official Visit actually is.

Last edited:
A nice, intimate and colourful ceremony at the back cour of Noordeinde Palace.

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=c2fc7bf4be2ea2d928160b8d0b3317a2&oe=5B2944B8

I can see three detachements in ceremonial tenue:

The Guards' Regiment Grenadiers (bearskin hats at the right)
The Guards' Regiment Limburgse Jagers (green uniforms centre)
A detachement in ceremonial uniform of Royal Netherlands Indies Army (dark-blue uniforms at the left)

Last edited:
maxima looks simply stunning - i love this coat/cape with the lace dress underneath and all the beige complements to match. a true reflection of a queen!

less keen on her choice of eveningwear though...

On the second day of the visit starts with a visit of King Abdullah to parliament and meets also the Prime Minister Mark Rutte

https://anpfoto.nl/royalimages/search.pp?eventid=2215344

The King Abdullah from his twitter sends his thanks for this visit

عبدالله بن الحسين‏@KingAbdullahII

Grateful for the gracious hospitality of Their Majesties King Willem-Alexander & Queen Máxima, PM Rutte, & the Dutch people. I’m confident that the valuable discussions we’ve had in the Netherlands will propel us towards further economic cooperation & prosperity for our peoples

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Marc van der Linden, the request to downgrade the visit came from the Jordanian king. State visits usually have more pump and festive events. The king wanted a more sober visit, to prevent an image of lavishness. Especially as his country is hosting 1 1/2 million refugees from Syria at the moment.

-
On royalblog Hans Jacobs is grumbling about the visit. Why does everything happen within a square kilometer? Why are there no Jordanian flags near the hofvijver, why was there no press allowed at Noordeinde etc? He also noted that the welcome ceremony was short and early: it finished before it was supposed to start. The queen looked absent minded. He did praise the speeching skills of King Abdullah II.

Back
Top Bottom