Official Visit from Russia to Open Hermitage Amsterdam: June 19, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since the Dutch moderators aren't online, I've deleted some personal comments arising from the discussion of Princess Maxima's choice of outfit for this event. The consensus of the Dutch moderators is that as long as the Princess chose to make such a striking fashion statement, which rather overshadowed the rest of the proceedings, it isn't inappropriate to mention it here. However, now that hopefully everyone's got it out of their system, further discussion of her outfit should take place in this thread in the Fashion forum, and I'll thank the regular posters here for keeping their personal comments about other posters to themselves from now on.

Elspeth
TRF admin

Last edited:
No gala? No splashing jewels and tiaras from the vault? After all, some of them originate from the imperialistic Russian era.

Lijfwacht Medvedev hinderde vrouw - Binnenland - de Volkskrant

a summery of what is said in the newspapers: .........

During the visit of the Russian president Medvedev to Holland to visit the Hermitage a member of his entourage, a bodygard misbehaved towards a 19 year old woman who worked in a hotel.
He was arrested Saterday morning by the police of Amsterdam after a complaint by the young woman and he was not staying in the same hotel as the president.

The bodygard paid a fine of 1000 euro to the court and a 200 euro to the young women. The ministery of foreign affairs does not find it necessary to make an official complaint and the matter is settled..........

Been to the Hermitage for the fifth day today,and still,every time you see new things,or things you've missed the previous time(s).

It is so impressive,so precious and breathtakingly beautifull,I just can't recommend it enough,so worthwhile a visit,as are the treasure
troves of shops in each wing.

While giving a dear friend a tour,other people listened in on what we had to say and so it happened we started with the two of us,and ended the tour of the cabinets at the Imperial Ball wing with 8 others in our slipstream.It is really nice to share once knowledge of the Family with others,more so even while looking at the items before you,once worn and or used by the Romanov Family.It all becomes a vivid story,comes alive really.

What is really worthwhile,as a sort of pause from the loads of impressions,is a short stop at the cabinet dedicated to the Russian Orthodox Church,admiring the items on display while listening to the beautifull chants of the Orthodox ceremonies.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=251570C417331163&search_query=russich+orthodox

Unfortunately we all had to leave the Hermitage today,the alarm went off and all were requisted to leave the building,but that was after the blini's with salmon,cream and caviar,good lord,what a delicious russian style kitchen the restaurant has,we dined there last night as the restaurant,"Neva" , is open until 1AM while the museum closes at 5PM,which is rather early I think.

Last edited:
Lucien, I think that the museum needs to add you to their payroll! It sounds like you are an incredible tour guide. Why did the alarm go off today?

Lucien, I think that the museum needs to add you to their payroll! It sounds like you are an incredible tour guide. Why did the alarm go off today?

False alarm apparently,thank goodness.Maybe even on purpose to train staff how to evacuate the building
within 3 minutes or something like that.
Good,but a pity to many as they were just having lunch,looking around or just arrived etc etc.

Payroll?I would even volunteer to tour the world around in the Hermitage,but don't tell 'm that please...
If you are short of an excuse to visit Amsterdam,again and ASAP,this is the best excuse you can think of,
the Hermitage,and I am not exaggerating in any way.

The magnificence of this more then impressive exhibition captures you instantly and won't let go till the next day or so.It is just too much to comprehend in one visit.And then telling what's what and why makes the time even fly more,as happens while doing what you love to do,but it is so wonderfull,you see that people are under the spell of what they are witnissing,and you want to ensure they live into the moment,and back in time a bit,give it your best so all understand/comprehend what they see and how it came about.I am not an expert,and I do not pretend to be one,but I share what I know,might be above average,yes,but that doesn't make me an expert.But what I tell is true,never tell 'm stories for stories sake.The wardens are watching me,greeting me even,maybe they think I'll be off with the wedding painting by Tuxen,such rare beauty really,it really is,watching it while hearing russian orthodox chants from the cabinet next door that is dedicated to the ROC,I tell you....you drift away in time...while guessing who's who in the painting....

The catalogue is a gem,a must have as all this is so unique,but then those two museumshops are downright treasure troves,loads and loads of books on the Romanov's-Russia-Jewellery,jewellery,icons,services,anything.....

There's the room showing the many links between the Houses of Orange Nassau and Romanov,which is new to so many,people have no idea further then our Anna Pavlovna,but then her sister Jekaterina gave birth to a daughter that became Anna's daughter-in-law,much to her dismay.....
Prince Hendrik's half-sister was the infamous Miechen,mother of Wladimir,the Romanov family treator,who's granddaughter Maria doesn't have my sympathy,sorry,,not,but that is besides the topic here really....Pauline Laws you see,and my wish to play it be these rules...if it was just to keep her out of sight...oh well...Romanovs you see,they invented quarelling,and then became masters in it.And then infected all those with a more then average interest and knowledge in this Imperial Family,as various threads in various Boards and Forums show.

In favour or anti whomever of this family,there's no way you can go around the captivating history of the Romanov's and more so each and every member,can you?They've displayed their wealth,and we display a wealth of thoughts on them.More then on any other Family in history maybe,and that alone is captivating don't you think?Even more,or maybe I should say,certainly more then on the Windsors,they're boring and poor compared to the Romanovs,even to this very day.Don't worry,I admire that impressive & charming octaginarian on Britain's Throne,she has my warmest sympathy,as does the Prince Philip,not inspite,but because of his gaffs..love the man!

Something very moving,I think,it the maternity ensemble of Alexandra,striped mauve and cream,with next to it Alexei's crib and baby shoes as well as his teddybear.
The gorgious and immense silver morning toilette set,Sasha's and Nicky's morning robes,Large and Little,allthough that nickname was Michael's and Johnson,but Alexander III was such a large man in that day and time,while Nicholas was
almost fragile and of limited height,if that is the expression.Fascinating men.

I could go on and on describing each and every cabinet,let alone the Imperial Reception room and the Imperial Ball room,from the one with
the gorgious fans,to the one with I haven't got a clue how many shoes,satin,silk and or studded with diamonds,shoes,in all colours.

Xenia's 1903 Fancy Ball costume,Paul I's Throne,the Romanov Throne we all know from the Throne room at the Winter Palace,the Imperial Court Dresses,the uniforms,the gala outfit of the house moor,must have been a giant,Baba what's his name..beautifull.

See you soon,petetre...:flowers:.

Last edited:
I wished I had the opportunity to visit the museum but onfortunately I never went to Amsterdam, nor we have plans to and it's far away for us.

It's good to see the Russian couple on a visit to the Netherlands. :)

Back
Top Bottom