NL DOET (Formerly 'Make A Difference Day')

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marengo said:
Good to see you here again Squidgy! The Queen was poignant indeed! It was so funny to see her tlking to those people on the news. She helped an old man filling in his form for dinner and asked him with this posh voice of hers what meat he wanted for dinner that night, 'een speklapje, een cordon bleu of een boomstammetje', I would be surprised if the queen even knows what a 'boomstammetje' is (a rolled up cordon bleu).
Thanks Marengo - it's great to be back. I see you (& others) have been making lots of informative posts as always, so I feel like I haven't really missed anything!;)

I would have loved to have seen the video of the Queen (with her posh accent) taking dinner orders! What I liked about this day, was, it seems that the royals were trying to come across as average citizens trying to do some good for their community, rather than their usual role of a royal trying to do some good. As Iain noted, I can't see Queen Elizabeth of GB pulling this off. Both her personality, plus all the inflexible protocal & security that is associated with the British royal court, would really prevent her from presenting herself for one day as just an average citizen.

Marengo said:
Margriet should still be bothered by her pains, because I do not think she would have skipped this project otherwise. As chairman of the red cross she knows how to appreciate volunteers.
I missed seeing Margriet participate. Yeah, maybe she still is suffering from her bad break in the spring - it can take a long time to recover from these things. But it was nice to see her branch of the family well represented at the MADD events.

All the dutch royals participating in this amazing day is soo great :) ...They seem to be very close with the people and that`s so lovely..would be nice to see Willem and Maxima joined to the others:p

They were attending a jetset polo event on the same they I believe...which makes the contrast even bigger). Maybe next year they will join in.

Squidgy said:
Thanks Marengo - it's great to be back. I see you (& others) have been making lots of informative posts as always, so I feel like I haven't really missed anything!;)

Haha, this remark could be interpreted in the wrong way I believe, you not missing our many informative posts ;)

Not much is known about Princess Margriets health, the court did not issue any official statements. She had a busy trip for the red cross to Asia last month I believe (no pictures), but apart from that she and Prof pieter (how strange to name him Prof instead of Mr., which he was for most of his life) seem to take it more easy and leaving more duties to other members of the RF. At an age in which most people retire I hope they can enjoy their extra 'free' time (although, how free is a grandmother of 5? Now I think of it, maybe Margriet was babysitting on Saturday ;))

The queen seems very relaxed indeed. Coinsedently 'hja', a dutch royalty journalist, today made an informative post about this on the Benelux Royals MB, you might want to check it.

I cannot imagine the british RF doing this either, but then The Netherlands is a more equalitarian society then Britain, so probably we appreciate these kind of things more while the british prefer a more distant aproach from their RF.

Marengo said:
Haha, this remark could be interpreted in the wrong way I believe, you not missing our many informative posts ;)

You're right - I think I'm a bit out of practice with my writing skills.:eek: You knew I meant it in the good sense though, right Marengo?

Marengo said:
Not much is known about Princess Margriets health, the court did not issue any official statements. She had a busy trip for the red cross to Asia last month I believe (no pictures), but apart from that she and Prof pieter (how strange to name him Prof instead of Mr., which he was for most of his life) seem to take it more easy and leaving more duties to other members of the RF. At an age in which most people retire I hope they can enjoy their extra 'free' time (although, how free is a grandmother of 5? Now I think of it, maybe Margriet was babysitting on Saturday ;))

Good one Marengo - you're right, maybe she was babysitting while her sons & daughters-in-laws were busy participating in the MADD activities.:D

Thanks for the update on Margriet. Hopefully, it's just a case of her back still giving her some pain, and that she will fully recover & we will see more of her. I'm being very selfish here because I don't want to see her withdraw from public life. But yes, I guess she does deserve to slow down & enjoy more of her private life & all her grandchildren. Do you think Pieter has slowed down? I think he still takes part in quite a few engagements these days.

Marengo said:
The queen seems very relaxed indeed. Coinsedently 'hja', a dutch royalty journalist, today made an informative post about this on the Benelux Royals MB, you might want to check it.

Thanks for that reference - it was a good post. It's nice to hear that someone who has had quite a bit of access to the Queen this year, is very impressed with her. But I must say, I've never viewed the Queen as being cold or distant, as I guess some people thought of her. I always felt she managed to present herself in a regal, yet approachable, way.

I wasn't sure was HJA meant by saying a weight was off her shoulders?? Is he referring to the fact that those loved ones who were ill (parents, Claus) are now no longer suffering??

Squidgy said:
You're right - I think I'm a bit out of practice with my writing skills.:eek: You knew I meant it in the good sense though, right Marengo?

Thanks for the update on Margriet. Hopefully, it's just a case of her back still giving her some pain, and that she will fully recover & we will see more of her. I'm being very selfish here because I don't want to see her withdraw from public life. But yes, I guess she does deserve to slow down & enjoy more of her private life & all her grandchildren. Do you think Pieter has slowed down? I think he still takes part in quite a few engagements these days.

Thanks for that reference - it was a good post. It's nice to hear that someone who has had quite a bit of access to the Queen this year, is very impressed with her. But I must say, I've never viewed the Queen as being cold or distant, as I guess some people thought of her. I always felt she managed to present herself in a regal, yet approachable, way.

I wasn't sure was HJA meant by saying a weight was off her shoulders?? Is he referring to the fact that those loved ones who were ill (parents, Claus) are now no longer suffering??

Of course I understood that you meant it in a good way, hence the teasing ;)

I fear that Margriet will really take it easy. Especially now the new members of the RH, Maxima and Laurentien are taking more things on them. The functions Margriet attends are also less high-profile then they used to be 20 years ago for example. Still, I don't think she minds (she can use her free time well), and it makes her more involved in other causes, for example the red cross. Prof Pieter seems to have a fuller agenda then a couple of years back indeed, as chairman of the national safety board and as professor of the university of Twente.

Here in the Netherlands the Queen was always compared to her mother Juliana, and it is hard not to look more distant than her of course. Beatrix had the image of the perfectionist manager. Stories in the media didn't always help, about medling in political things, disapproving potential daughters-in-law etc. But most people had a distant/aloof feeling with Beatrix anyway, and the people who had that feeling are changing their minds these days (of course there are exeptions).
'hja' indeed meant that the queen seems to enjoy the things more as the strain of seeing people close to her sufer from ill health has been lifted. It seems she is more able to relax these days.

from http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/ (without watermark)

H. H. Prince Maurits and H.H. Princess Marilène serve by Happietaria in Groningen a dinner for humans of asielzoekers during the Make a Difference Day, 10 December 2005

Attachments

• 3261077-anp-groot.jpg
    3261077-anp-groot.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 423
from http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/ (without watermark)

HRH Prince Constantijn whistle by football association CJVV in Amersfoort a half of a competition for handicap during the rural Make a Difference Day, 10 December 2005

HH Prince Pieter-Christiaan whistle by football association CJVV in Amersfoort a half of a competition for handicap during the rural Make a Difference Day, 10 December 2005

Attachments

• 3260248-anp-groot.jpg
    3260248-anp-groot.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 351
  • 3260238-anp-groot.jpg
    3260238-anp-groot.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 441
Make A Difference Day: November 3 and 4, 2006

Just like last year, the Dutch royals will participate in this year's MADD.

translation from http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/content.jsp?objectid=16744
Members Royal Family will participate on 3 and 4 November 2006 on "Make a Difference Day"

Just as last year participated by a number of members of the Royal Family, this year event of Make a Difference Day, will also be participated on on Friday 3 and Saturday 4 November.

On these, thousand Dutchmen stick summon the hands from the sleeves by volunteers activities in the whole country.

Furthermore lives Her Royal Highness Princess Máxima will present the MADD-awards on Saturday 16 December in Utrecht.
During MADD, many Dutchmen show self social concerned through self on one or two days voluntarily in at improvement of the leefomgeving (?) to set and to work. Individuals, school, commit, take municipalities, volunteers organizations and –points of support there at part. In England and America, MADD is organized already for years and end with many success.

On 16 December in Utrecht, the MADD-awards will be distributed for the best MADD-project, MADD-business, the MADD-school and MADD-promotor. This distribution finds at the same time place with the distribution of The National Compliment for the best volunteers project and The municipalities compliment for the municipality that volunteer work administration asset supports. Princess Maxima will present the awards.

mims111 said:
03-11-2006 Almere Princess Laurentien at the horse riding school of children's farm De Stek with horseback riding for mental patients at the MAKE A DIFFERENCE DAY.
http://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=03-11-2006%20Almere

very funny pics :lol:
It's cool to see a royal visiting a therapy riding facility. I volunteer at one every week, and it's amazing to see the improvements people can make from week to week.

It seems their all enjoying their time and helping out others. Aimee looks so elegent and pretty.

I saw Laurentien on the television news, it looked very weird. In the middle were all the photographers, camera men etc, and the horses were walking around them, with Laurentien walking next to them or in front and impersonating an aeroplane.

The girl on the horse must have felt pretty special though... :)

Nov. 4, 2006.
Prince Bernard and princess Annette went with the foundation De Opkikker with families to the Veluwe at the MAKE A DIFFERENCE DAY.
Photos from PPE agency

the photos are great, it's wonderful that the dutch royals do this.

laurentien and marilene looked so at ease and happy. i never realised what a cute couple marilene and maurits do, i think it's easier to see it in this kind of relaxed situations. the photos of annette with the girl in the water are also precious. and what can i say about aimee? she is and looks gorgeous, as always... :) hope we get more pictures of her soon.

the dutch princesses are all so perfect. they always look lovely and behave so correctly... beatrix and magriet must feel so proud!

Last edited:
Here some pictures made by me at the zoo in Wissel

copyright : linda oosterveen

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom