Koningsdag 2014-2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A video of about 30 minutes featuring the visit of the royal family to Eindhoven. I noticed that Alexia has a rather low voice; and in the interview not only expressed that she is happy to be able to follow her own interests (after being asked about her future plans given that Amalia's are much more fixed) but also stressed that of course there are limits to what they can do; so good to see that awareness among the 'sisters' of the future queen.
What I find curious is that not only Alexia looks like her mother, but she also has her mother's deep voice :flowers: genetics are an amazing thing ;)

A video of about 30 minutes featuring the visit of the royal family to Eindhoven. I noticed that Alexia has a rather low voice; and in the interview not only expressed that she is happy to be able to follow her own interests (after being asked about her future plans given that Amalia's are much more fixed) but also stressed that of course there are limits to what they can do; so good to see that awareness among the 'sisters' of the future queen.

Is there any sort of expectation of the roles that Alexia and Ariane will have within the Royal Family as adults? My assumption has been that they wouldn’t be very involved at all, based on how things seem to have played out with the current King and his siblings, (although obviously Friso’s death impacted the situation, and I don’t know what things were like when the three siblings were very young adults).

My impression has been that younger royal siblings in The Netherlands are encouraged to follow their own interests and expected to have their own professional lives instead of a significant number of royal duties . I’ve always thought it to be a very practical way of doing things and also a humane way of treating the “extra” royal children.

Is there any sort of expectation of the roles that Alexia and Ariane will have within the Royal Family as adults? My assumption has been that they wouldn’t be very involved at all, based on how things seem to have played out with the current King and his siblings, (although obviously Friso’s death impacted the situation, and I don’t know what things were like when the three siblings were very young adults).

My impression has been that younger royal siblings in The Netherlands are encouraged to follow their own interests and expected to have their own professional lives instead of a significant number of royal duties . I’ve always thought it to be a very practical way of doing things and also a humane way of treating the “extra” royal children.

In the Netherlands only the present, the future and the former King (+ spouses) receive an income from the State.

That makes the expectation that the sisters of Princess Amalia will chose their own path in life indeed but will incidentally attend some public functions like Prinsjesdag ("State Opening of Parliament"), King's Day and an occasional ceremonial event here or there, like a State Banquet or so.

Last edited:
But of course they will not want for money.

But of course they will not want for money.

Princess Irene, Princess Margriet, Princess Christina, Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn also never received a cent from the State. When they do engagements in their role as prince (princess) of the Royal House their costs are reimbursed by the King.

For the rest a Foundation was created for the three younger daughters of Queen Juliana, later an identical Foundation was created for the two younger sons of Queen Beatrix. We may assume another identical Foundation will be created for the two younger daughters of King Willem-Alexander.

These (family) Foundations give financial support to the named royals "for functional costs made in their position as daughters of HM Queen Juliana" (Foundation 1968) or "as sons of HM Queen Beatrix" (Foundation 1989). These Foundations are meant to cover costs they make for a function as prince or princess of the House Orange-Nassau (read: not in a function for the Royal House, because that will be reimbursed by the King).

Constantijn attends a State Banquet: costs are reimbursed by the King
Constantijn attends a wedding in Germany: costs are reimbursed by this family Foundation.

Last edited:
Constantijn attends a State Banquet: costs are reimbursed by the King

But from where is thje King taking the money he gives to his brother.Most likely from his appanage so in the End it is money from the State which is the right thing for such occasions.

Exactly. There is no reason to expect otherwise. Which is consistent with what Alexia said earlier this week: that she is happy to follow her own interests. At the same time, she is aware that she is a princess of the Netherlands and -until Amalia has children- second in line to the throne, so that brings a certain responsibility also in your professional life.

N.B. Friso's death didn't really impact the functioning of the royal house or royal family as since his marriage he was no longer in line to the throne, so had no official position. Mabel and Friso still attended Koningsdag and the award ceremony of the Prins Clausprijs of which Friso remained one of the two chairs; and had 1-2 publicized engagements in the Netherlands a year (not representing the queen). Friso for De Hollandsche Molen (the Dutch Windmill) and Mabel related to HIV/AIDS. Nowadays, Mabel will also attend the award ceremony of the Prins Friso Ingenieursprijs (Prince Friso Engineering Award) together with princess Beatrix; and that's about it.

Last edited:
But from where is thje King taking the money he gives to his brother.Most likely from his appanage so in the End it is money from the State which is the right thing for such occasions.

It is King's Day, Prinsjesdag, there was a State Banquet from Belgium. And that is it for Prince Constantijn and his spouse. The absolute minimum.I can not think of more royal functions they did. The Prince Claus Awards, the World Press Photo, these costs will be met by these organization of which Prince Constantijn himself is in the board.

The King indeed pays them from the B component of his state income (budget for functional costs) when they represent the Royal House.

When Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien go to a ball at Altshausen, or attend a wedding in Detmold, whatever, their costs are reimbursed by the special Foundation, with capital from the family fortune, because these are private costs while they have "to execute the royal dignity" (read: maintain a certain standard as princes or princesses of the House Orange-Nassau).

Last edited:
When Ariane and Alexia become of age and want their own home and cars. Will this not be financed by the King and Queen? Outside of paying his bills bd expenses the appanage of the King is his as he wishes no? Whether it is to buy a brand new speedboat or a luxury apartment for his youngest.

I suppose down the line the girls can also look forward to an inheretance from Grandma Beatrix.

When Ariane and Alexia become of age and want their own home and cars. Will this not be financed by the King and Queen? Outside of paying his bills bd expenses the appanage of the King is his as he wishes no? Whether it is to buy a brand new speedboat or a luxury apartment for his youngest.

I suppose down the line the girls can also look forward to an inheretance from Grandma Beatrix.

The girls are born in a wealthy family. That is for sure. But like their uncles Friso and Constantijn and like their great-aunts Irene, Margriet and Christina, both Alexia and Ariane will not receive an income from the State.

The late Prince Friso made his widow and his daughters very wealthy by smart investments. Princess Mabel probably has more liquid money in her bank account than the King. Bernhard van Vollenhoven is another example of becoming very wealthy by investments, so it will not precisely be a disadvantage for Alexia and Ariane that they can explore the world, do what they want, while their eldest sister, future Queen Catharina-Amalia is in a golden cage for a lifetime.

Last edited:
A lovely town. Maastricht was selected for 2020 but the day had to be canceled due to the pandemic.

Fabulous. That will be the first normal King's Day in years (hoping that COVID has been conquered) and that in a city with a lot of ambiance.

Maastricht is preparing for the arrival of the Royal Family on King's Day tomorrow

https://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=6164615

So looking forward to Kingsday in Maastricht today!!!Wonderfull!!

Last night the country celebrated Kingsnight,festive without disruptions anywhere,just wonderfull!!Free markets,concerts,festivals untill the early morning hours and many still going for the rest of this day!!

A Nation in Orange!!Like nonesuch event anywhere!

:dutchstandard::dutchstandard::dutchstandard::dutchflag::dutchflag::dutchflag:

:previous:

I read that in Amsterdam you are allowed to buy 1 tin of uncooled beer at a time only. So that may keep things more under control, though how the autorities are going to enforce that I do not know.

Café de Blaffende Vis in te Jordaan in Amsterdam has its traditional facade decoration in place. This time with the three princesses as role models. The ribbon on Amalia reads 'Miss Geen toelage' (No dotation) while Pss Alexia is Miss Climate.

https://www.parool.nl/amsterdam/de-blaffende-vis-onthult-misses-amalia-alexia-en-ariane~bf446811/

The celebrations today:

** anp gallery: King's Day 2022: Live Maastricht! **

Prince Floris and Princess Aimée shared a photo of themselves on their way to the celebrations this morning:

** Pic **

And the King and Queen posed with their daughters for their first photo of the day:

** Pic **

** gettyimages gallery ** ppe gallery ** gtresnews gallery ** rex gallery ** legion media gallery ** rex gallery 2 **

** Koninklijk Huis instagram gallery 1 ** Koninklijk Huis instagram gallery 2 ** Koninklijk Huis instagram gallery 3 **

Last edited:
:previous:

I read that in Amsterdam you are allowed to buy 1 tin of uncooled beer at a time only. So that may keep things more under control, though how the autorities are going to enforce that I do not know.

https://www.parool.nl/amsterdam/de-blaffende-vis-onthult-misses-amalia-alexia-en-ariane~bf446811/

Neither does anyone else,so no,there is no enforcement in that field,too silly to even contemplate isn´t it?

Later today Prince Floris will be the DJ on a huge festival with 35000 in Amsterdam.It is his hobby to DJ.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Floris will apparently be DJ-ing at a King's Day party in Amsterdam later today. It would be tempting to refer to a midlife crisis but he seems to be doing it for a while. Newspaper Het Parool published an interview with the prince just a few minutes ago:

https://www.parool.nl/nederland/zo-...nhard-had-nog-een-kindersetje-staan~b155877a/

He will on the main stage and among big names within the industry.

Apparently he was a DJ during his student days but only started again due to his daughter Magali's 8th birthday party after she asked him to do so. In these last years the prince also played at events abroad.

The city of Maastricht looked beautiful today and it seemed that there were a lot of people to celebrate the day. The mayor looked great and her speeches were clear and to the point. For some reason they allowed a hand full of republicans to protest next to the route.

Queen Maxima clearly took a step back to let her daughter(s) take more of the lime light. The focus was very much on the King. Amalia was able to talk with the reporters before her mother did.

The press was able to speak to the main royals.

- WA stated that he celebrated the day with mixed feelings due to the Russian war of agression in Ukraine. But perhaps it was a good reason to celebrate that we can celebrate in freedom and in safety. He also mentioned this in his speech. Prince Maurits and the mayor had simular remarks.

- About the polls the king emphasized that he has always said that polls don't mean much to him but that constructive criticism is useful. He added that criticism is essential in a democracy.

- Amalia was grateful for the privacy that she was allowed to have by te media and the public during this gap year. She did various internships that helped her develop emotionally, creatively and socially. She has enrolled in various universities but se does not know yet where she will be accepted. More information will be announced in a few weeks.

- Queen Maxima said that it is quiet at home, she is suffering of the empty nest syndrome, though it allows her to focus more on her work. And she has to learn how to treat her youngest daughter differently and give her more freedom. As she the benjamin the Queen is used to monitor things more tightly than perhaps is suitable for that age.

- Princess Alexia - who seems more sympathetic on camera than in pictures- emphasized how grateful she was that she had the opportunity to go to Wales to study. She praised the school and said she enjoyed it a lot. She was grateful to her parents as well to allow her to go there.

- Princess Ariane said that altough she misses her sisters she is happy that they still meet often.

The main job for most members of the RF and certainly for the Van Vollenhovens seems to be making selfies with members of the public.

Last edited:
Prince Floris looks right at home :previous:

I am surprised to see Alexia there, the school in Wales has already started.

Altough I understand your point, what is the alternative? Is the country supposed to move the national holiday to suit the time table of a school in Wales? Or is the no 2 in line of the throne expected to skip this obligation, our national day?

Princess Alexia may have followed classes online, she may have received extra homework but that is for the school to decide. In a way she is working/learning more today than she would be at school.

In general and not directed at you: it seems bashing the princess - a minor- is popular on some corners of the internet these days. Had she been at school and not at this event, the same people would likely have been complaining that she was a spoiled brat because she did not attend. In my view this is done mostly to beatify somebody else by comparison. I do not find it very reasonable, fair or edifying.

Last edited:
It was so lovely to see van Vollenhoven Princes with their wives! It's amazing how you they all look.
Prince's Constantijn himself also ages very well.

I didn't realize the Princess of Oranje is left handed( like me!).

Altough I understand your point, what is the alternative? Is the country supposed to move the national holiday to suit the time table of a school in Wales? Or is the no 2 in line of the throne expected to skip this obligation, our national day?

Princess Alexia may have followed classes online, she may have received extra homework but that is for the school to decide. In a way she is working/learning more today than she would be at school.

In general and not directed at you: it seems bashing the princess - a minor- is popular on some corners of the internet these days. Had she been at school and not at this event, the same people would likely have been complaining that she was a spoiled brat because she did not attend. In my view this is done mostly to beatify somebody else by comparison. I do not find it very reasonable, fair or edifying.

Thank you for saying this marengo.

I expect that when her parents enrolled her that the school administration was informed of when Alexia would be required to attend certain national events. This institution has had royal students before who have had similar responsibilities as her her father is an graduate of the same school. The last two years have demonstrated to all of us that it is possible for students to receive instruction and submit their work virtually. So I believe that Alexia's instructors have provided her with the necessary work.

Back
Top Bottom