Koningsdag 2014-2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know Konigsdag is a great party in the Netherlands, but it is surprising that despite the circumstances they have continued with the parties but at home, and the Royal Family is laughing and celebrating.

Queen Elizabeth, despite her age, canceled any special events on her birthday day.

Queen Margrethe, even though it was a special birthday for being her 80th birthday, had a rather sober celebration.

With 4.518 dead, 43 in the last 24 hours ... and being the king young and not being a special date ... one would expect something more sober or directly leave the celebration for another time.

It is like Quatorze Juillet in France, or the 4th of July in the USA. It is more than the King's birthday. It is a sort of "we are all together, we live in this great country, let us be happy together" - day.

Another video from today. Alexia and Mum. I have no real idea what’s been said other than its about mum n dad.

See my previous description.

(…)

Some video calls with the king, queen, the princess of Orange and princess Alexia.

Queen Máxima is quite 'present' even when her daughters are supposed to talk. Amalia is doing it all by herself (as long as Máxima doesn't interrupt) while Alexia is asked about her parents and admits that even though they are busy they still get to spend quite a lot of time with them; and concludes that they are really good parents.

(…)

It was really fun to see the family celebrating King's Day from home - and I'm envious of the gorgeous wisteria they have flowering in their garden! :wub:

Video of Prince Floris as DJ at King's day at home.

His brother prince Pieter-Christiaan also enjoyed being a DJ now he didn't have to celebrate King's Day with the royal family. - Here the full set (his younger brother has better moves :) )

Both with their (eldest) daughters...

Full(er) video of the king unexpectedly joining a video call hosted by the winner of the Dutch baking show. And he also joined a 'science quiz' by Diederik Jekel.

Queen Máxima joined a music class by a relatively well-known Dutch singer - who is really surprised to see her ("I am getting goose bumps!"); she is patron of More Music in the Classroom. The queen's response after the group sang on her request: "You'll have to practice, I think."

And prince Constantijn and princess Laurentien joined a quiz hosted by the Dutch astronaut André Kuipers.

This was the 'kick off' of King's day at home: the national anthem.

The full videos with princess Amalia (with Anky van Grunsven - a famous Dutch dressage rider; Amalia explains that she is into jumping instead of dressage - who kindly but clearly tells the princess off after a few minutes) and princess Alexia and queen Máxima (with a famous Dutch vlogger - who did know in advance that he would be having a video call with the queen but apparently wasn't told that she is a 'majesty' instead of 'highness'; including questions from 'random people' (including what is it like to be queen?)).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMrP7CIOjEM

And the video that goes with the opening of the digital flea market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlCrSNHM674

Prince Maurits and princess Marilene also join a craft workshop...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdMhse4oHy4

Last edited by a moderator:
How fun that they participated in these! Could any Dutch speakers let us know if what they said in the interview?

That will be interesting, most likely it will be centered on the Eindhoven High Tech Campus. After Amsterdam and Rotterdam, the Eindhoven region is the third mainport of the Netherlands.

Here this mainport is called Brainport, the high-tech growth accelerator of the Dutch economy. There is a sprawling High Tech Campus, there is the Technical University and there are Dutch multinationals like Philips and ASML producing advanced nano-technologic chipmakers. High-tech and design are combined with high-end manufacturing industry and entrepreneurship.

Eindhoven Brainport region has a population of around 750,000 and a workforce of 400,000. Especially in this COVID era it is interesting to see how Eindhoven will organize Koningsdag 2.0 !

What is strange: last year's Koningsdag would have taken place in the beautiful city of Maastricht, the capital of Limbourg. Because of COVID it was annuled.

But now the King will visit Eindhoven, the complete opposite of pittoresque and romantic Maastricht. But Maastricht made so many efforts for a splendid Koningsdag. I am surprised that the royal family does not return to Maastricht.

What is strange: last year's Koningsdag would have taken place in the beautiful city of Maastricht, the capital of Limbourg. Because of COVID it was annuled.

But now the King will visit Eindhoven, the complete opposite of pittoresque and romantic Maastricht. But Maastricht made so many efforts for a splendid Koningsdag. I am surprised that the royal family does not return to Maastricht.

According to the NOS article, Maastricht was not willing to organize a 'reduced' program if needed while Eindhoven is willing and able to go (partly) digital if needed. So, Maastricht is still on the list for future king's days but they themselves requested that it will be postponed until a time they can organize the program as planned.

According to the NOS article, Maastricht was not willing to organize a 'reduced' program if needed while Eindhoven is willing and able to go (partly) digital if needed. So, Maastricht is still on the list for future king's days but they themselves requested that it will be postponed until a time they can organize the program as planned.

That makes sense. Maastricht is not really a city for a reduced Koningsdag indeed. I expect Eindhoven will organize it at the High Tech Campus which is a very controlable area to prevent masses to become superspreaders' hotspots.

That will be Maastricht 2022 then!

Last edited:
The visit to Greece may have been a bit naughty but sending them to Eindhoven seems a rather harsh punishment. It is an ugly city, competing with Tilburg (visited in 2017) for the title ugliest city of the country.

Last edited:
Not so sure about that. The King seens to appreciate inovations and technical things. So, Eindhoven is a good place to go

True, and at least they found a city willing to host a more modest version of the day. Maastricht will however be something nicer to look forward to.

The Palace has released an update about this year's King's Day:

** koninklijkhuis.nl: Koningsdag 2021 in Eindhoven **

His Majesty King Willem-Alexander, Her Majesty Queen Máxima and Their Royal Highnesses the Princess of Orange, Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane will be present at the High Tech Campus in Eindhoven on Tuesday, April 27, on the occasion of King's Day 2021. From a studio they will take part in a special online and TV broadcast in which Brainport Eindhoven presents itself on the basis of the theme Making Knowledge.

During the King's Day broadcast, the generally applicable guidelines for combating the corona virus are observed.

The King's Day program can still be changed or canceled in consultation with the municipality of Eindhoven if the epidemiological circumstances give cause to do so.

On the news they said that the plans could still be altered or cancelled, depending on how the virus will evolve in the Netherlands and on the lockdown measures that may follow.

The costs are estimated at 1,75 million euros, most of which will be needed to create a 'robust digital platform' which will enable viewers at home to see what is going on.

The celebrations will include a 'mobility caravan' pf 24 cars. Willem-Alexander will drive the 50+-year old DAF that the royal family used to ride in Italy (and was a present for Willem-Alexander's birth!). Amalia will accompany him in the car. Máxima will be driving 'Lightyear One', a car powered by solar energy. See NOS.

They don't say whether the other princes and princesses will also be driving a special car.

The celebrations will include a 'mobility caravan' pf 24 cars. Willem-Alexander will drive the 50+-year old DAF that the royal family used to ride in Italy (and was a present for Willem-Alexander's birth!). Amalia will accompany him in the car. Máxima will be driving 'Lightyear One', a car powered by solar energy. See NOS.

They don't say whether the other princes and princesses will also be driving a special car.

Aren't Alexia and Ariane attending the celebrations?

Aren't Alexia and Ariane attending the celebrations?

Of course they will but the article didn't specify in which car they will be. I guess at least one of them will join their mother and the other might take a backseat in either one of the cars.

Sadly only His Majesty, Her Majesty and Their Royal Highnesses The Princess of Orange, Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane will participate this year.

best wishes Michiru

Sadly only His Majesty, Her Majesty and Their Royal Highnesses The Princess of Orange, Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane will participate this year.

best wishes Michiru

I like that. That is how it should be.

I have never understood why the Van Vollenhoven cousins, without any function in the Royal House and without any royal engagements have to pop up once a year, to walk behind the King at Koningsdag.

What a nice photo, the young princesses are looking so grown up. Ariane is now as tall as Alexia.

The visit to Eindhoven can be viewed live on BVN from 10:50 GMT+1 onwards:

https://www.bvn.tv/bvnlive/

Last edited:
I would love to know what the A-team said. Anyone know where I can find a translation? I saw the 3 mini interviews but I have no idea what they all said!

I would love to know what the A-team said. Anyone know where I can find a translation? I saw the 3 mini interviews but I have no idea what they all said!

I shared a bit in their news topic as Amalia and Alexia talked about their future.

This NOS-article includes quotes, so Google Translate will provide an idea.

A video of about 30 minutes featuring the visit of the royal family to Eindhoven. I noticed that Alexia has a rather low voice; and in the interview not only expressed that she is happy to be able to follow her own interests (after being asked about her future plans given that Amalia's are much more fixed) but also stressed that of course there are limits to what they can do; so good to see that awareness among the 'sisters' of the future queen.

The girls are growing into lovely young ladies. Is it known if Amalia is driving yet? At what age do young people typically get their driver's licenses in the NL? I imagine like most young people it is something she looked forward to.

The girls are growing into lovely young ladies. Is it known if Amalia is driving yet? At what age do young people typically get their driver's licenses in the NL? I imagine like most young people it is something she looked forward to.

In the video she says that she had her first driving lesson (when she is getting into a simulator racing the Zandvoort circuit); but only one as all driving lessons in the Netherlands were cancelled because of Covid. So, she is waiting for the government to lift that regulation.

Previously you had to wait until you turned 18 before starting your driving lessons (my husband had his first one on his 18th birthday); nowadays you can start your driving lessons at age 16,5 and take the exam at 17. While 17 you are not allowed to drive by yourself - that has to wait until you're 18; you can only drive with one of your 1-5 registered 'coaches'. Unlike in some other countries it is not allowed to drive a car without a driving instructor until you obtained your driver's license; and the requirements to obtain them are very strict (at least compared to the USA and Peru where I also had to take a driving test).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom